Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » MACC Affinity Staves. [Flame Wars]
MACC Affinity Staves. [Flame Wars]
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-12-11 18:28:56
Link | Quote | Reply

1000 replicates is more than twice the sample size you need to show a 10% increase in land rate.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2012-12-11 18:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Never saw that testing before. My analogy about ws was to point out that because one stat affects it in a certain way doesn't mean it affects another function of said ws. Either way, the proof is in the pudding.
 Asura.Rucks
Server: Asura
user: Seravolk
By Asura.Rucks 2012-12-11 18:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

We didn't start the fire, it was always burning, since the world's been turning.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
Server: Phoenix
user: Tsuko
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2012-12-11 18:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Your analogy was still wrong, and my conclusion would still have been the more reasonable one had that testing not existed.

Stop trying to be right and wrong simultaneously.
By Methylated 2012-12-11 18:34:55
Link | Quote | Reply

That you did Kapu in fairness! oh well it happens all the time cant be helped

Sylow I had found your guide on DNC immensely useful. Kudos to you. :)
 Shiva.Arana
Server: Shiva
user: Arana1
By Shiva.Arana 2012-12-11 18:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Was the [flame wars] tag added? Also I wouldn't even bother arguing with Kin37ix look through his post history you'll see why...
[+]
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2012-12-11 18:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I knew what I was getting myself into, but I have something of a compulsive need to insure that people passing misinformation of as reason don't get the last word in.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2012-12-11 18:44:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kaparu said: »
Your analogy was still wrong, and my conclusion would still have been the more reasonable one had that testing not existed.

I'm not trying to be right, i admitted the testing proves your point, that has nothing to do with my analogy. Fstr affects att, not att and acc. The same logic is applied to the difference between two types of magic. It would be like assuming because mainhand acc determines macc for blue spells dmg it must also affect att or added effect acc. It would be to assume it did, but we know it does not, as str does not affect ws acc. That was my point as well as the fact that it does not change how you gear enfeebles.
By Methylated 2012-12-11 18:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Arana said: »
Was the [flame wars] tag added? Also I wouldn't even bother arguing with Kin37ix look through his post history you'll see why...

Hai and I am digging now like a diglet :> remember them :O?

Shiva.Arana
By Shiva.Arana 2012-12-11 18:46:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Phoenix.Kaparu said: »

I'm not trying to be right, i admitted the testing proves your point, that has nothing to do with my analogy. Fstr affects att, not att and acc. The same logic is applied to the difference between two types of magic. It would be like assuming because mainhand acc determines macc for blue spells dmg it must also affect att or added effect acc. It would be to assume it did, but we know it does not, as str does not affect ws acc. That was my point as well as the fact that it does not change how you gear enfeebles.
Bolded is wrong.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-12-11 18:46:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually no, fSTR doesn't affect attack at all.

Edit: Beaten.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2012-12-11 18:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

You truly deserve an award for your ability to present a horrible analogy.

Your blue magic comparison is in no way parallel, because the way blue magic functions is vastly different than every other type of magic. Hell, blue magic could just as easily be considered its own closed system.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2012-12-11 18:56:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Excuse me, str affects att.

My point is valid, without testing would you just assume blu magic functions the same?
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2012-12-11 19:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't say that necessarily- you just can't cross compare magical and physical. Physical blue magic follows very similar formulas as physical WS, follows a similar formula for determining attack, and follows a similar formula to the only other physical class where skill determines base damage- H2H. On the other hand, magical blue magic follows similar formula as magical WS.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2012-12-11 19:06:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Excuse me, str affects att.

My point is valid, without testing would you just assume blu magic functions the same?

Would I assume that a gigantic overhead like blue magic, with its myriad of personalized subcategories, functions in the same way as the other individual types of magic that exist in the game? No, I wouldn't.

Seriously, quit while you're ahead.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-11 19:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Enfeebles and buffs are the only categories blue magic that can be directly compared with any other type of magic in terms of mechanics.

As Kyte said, magical blue magic functions as magical weaponskills do, and physical blue magic functions as physical weaponskills (albeit with its own set of quirks, such as H2H-like base damage calculation and fTP functioning differently for a large amount of blue magic spells). Neither can be used to compare to each other or any other class of magic in the game.

Personally I'd never come close to assuming that physical blue magic functions the same as other magical categories, let alone its sister set of spells magical blue magic, but magical blue magic is easy enough to *** up and think "well hey Regurgitation must be just like Water III!"

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2012-12-11 19:40:46
Link | Quote | Reply

We know blue magic functions differently from other magic and even from itself, that proves the only point i was making. You can't assume they function the same.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2012-12-11 19:51:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The point you were trying to make was that magic that was designed by the same dev team at the same point in time functions differently from each other, denying all the facts that suggest otherwise.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2012-12-11 19:54:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Learn from my mistakes, Kyte. He's going to circular you into dementia.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-11 20:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Issue with your argument, Jassik, is that Blue Magic is an entirely different beast (lawl). It's completely different from every other school of magic; lines can be drawn linking types of white and black magic and they function in the same manner between each, however you cannot do that for offensive blue magic. No other type of offensive magic correlates with offensive blue magic.

Besides that, INT and MND affect the magic accuracy of blue magic effects and enfeebles too, so you're kind of digging your grave there.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-12-11 20:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Methylated said: »
Shiva.Arana said: »

Hai and I am digging now like a diglet :> remember them :O?

That's a Dugtrio...
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-11 20:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2012-12-11 20:10:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Issue with your argument, Jassik, is that Blue Magic is an entirely different beast (lawl). It's completely different from every other school of magic; lines can be drawn linking types of white and black magic and they function in the same manner between each, however you cannot do that for offensive blue magic. No other type of offensive magic correlates with offensive blue magic.

Besides that, INT and MND affect the magic accuracy of blue magic effects and enfeebles too, so you're kind of digging your grave there.

Does it work that way because you assume it should or because it was proven to...

Why are so many people advocating assumption over proof?

All i set out to say was that you can't assume that one type of magic functions the same as another.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-12-11 20:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Because it isn't an assumption. If there's one thing you should know, it's that I thrive on the most boring tasks imaginable that no one else would ever do. It just so happens that I also love Blue Mage. I have a more than reasonable amount of confidence that magic accuracy for blue magic spell magical effects are affected by INT and MND.

Based on collected information for other classes of magic, it is within reasonable confidence that I can assume that most or all magical effects feature a mechanic that derives magic accuracy from a base stat. This game isn't built on smoke and mirrors, almost every calculation you can make shares a resemblance with another, and most are just copy/paste with small alterations in stats and multipliers used. it is safe to hypothesize that white magic functions just as black magic does. Base mechanics such as accuracy are nearly identical across the entire spectrum.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2012-12-11 20:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody is advocating assumption over proof, but that doesn't mean that observing patterns isn't the most reasonable means to a tentative conclusion.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2012-12-11 20:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Because it isn't an assumption. If there's one thing you should know, it's that I thrive on the most boring tasks imaginable that no one else would ever do. It just so happens that I also love Blue Mage. I have a more than reasonable amount of confidence that magic accuracy for blue magic spell magical effects are affected by INT and MND.

Exactly, you tested it, just as i was saying would be necessary. And a link to said testing has been posted.
 Shiva.Arana
By Shiva.Arana 2012-12-11 20:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Does it work that way because you assume it should or because it was proven to...

Why are so many people advocating assumption over proof?

Seriously look it all up yourself this has all been tested extensively. None of it has to be reproven for you. It's your burden to prove it doesn't since you go against the norm.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2012-12-11 20:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

\All i set out to say was that you can't assume that one type of magic functions the same as another.

But you can, given similarity and precedent. What do you not understand about this?

1] White magic has similarity to various other magics that display this precedent

2] Blue magic does not have similarity to various other magics that display this precedent

Seriously. Poe's Law or bust.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2012-12-11 20:17:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly, you tested it, just as i was saying would be necessary. And a link to said testing has been posted.

Okay, but that doesn't mean that before it was tested the most reasonable assumption was that it did act as every other magic does, nor does it mean that it was reasonable to assume that white magic doesn't function as most other traditional magics do.