Returning DRK And Apocalypse Question!

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Returning DRK and Apocalypse question!
Returning DRK and Apocalypse question!
 Phoenix.Pilipinoboi
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Pilipinoboi 2012-12-04 05:55:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi Everyone,

I've recently come back a month ago and also recently finished my Apocalypse! (The 9 year dream has come to an end :D) Anyway, what I would like to know are the following;

1) What Atmas would be best to use in Abyssea for an Apoc DRK?
2) What are the new cookie-cutter sets for TP/Catastrophe/Aftermath etc that I should look into obtaining?
3) Prior to obtaining all said gear from those listed on the question above, what would be considered a decent alternative in the meantime while attempting to get said items?

I should mention, I've recently just started doing Voidwatch. My gear would be up to date of someone who retired at lvl 90. (Which I did, haven't attained anything much new after that, just lvl 99 for jobs.) So as far as gear goes, I am quite behind, so please bear with me in the meantime and assist me in making the best out of what I do currently own.

All help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Pilipinoboi.
[+]
 Phoenix.Shiomi
user: Shiomi
By Phoenix.Shiomi 2012-12-04 06:01:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Help this guy out!
 Asura.Rucks
Server: Asura
user: Seravolk
By Asura.Rucks 2012-12-04 06:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Apoc 5-hit build from another post
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-12-04 06:37:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Pilipinoboi said: »
Hi Everyone,

I've recently come back a month ago and also recently finished my Apocalypse! (The 9 year dream has come to an end :D) Anyway, what I would like to know are the following;

1) What Atmas would be best to use in Abyssea for an Apoc DRK?
2) What are the new cookie-cutter sets for TP/Catastrophe/Aftermath etc that I should look into obtaining?
3) Prior to obtaining all said gear from those listed on the question above, what would be considered a decent alternative in the meantime while attempting to get said items?

I should mention, I've recently just started doing Voidwatch. My gear would be up to date of someone who retired at lvl 90. (Which I did, haven't attained anything much new after that, just lvl 99 for jobs.) So as far as gear goes, I am quite behind, so please bear with me in the meantime and assist me in making the best out of what I do currently own.

All help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Pilipinoboi.

I normally refuse to answer people who sign their posts but I'll give you a freebie since youre just returning.

1) Get out of abyssea. Until then Razed Ruins and Apocalypse are shoe-ins. I use Savior most of the time for the third slot. I also used to use alphaomega and VV if i needed regain.

2)
this is my most base aftermath set:

Pre-aftermath i'm using Bale-gauntlets +2, and Ace's leggings (feet).

For Catastrophe I would use:

Remember though: your gear is going to have to change based on buffs/area/stp

3) i dont even remember. try looking at the 2 ten plus apoc gearset pages:

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/31070/drk-tp-sets/

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/28252/apoc-5-hit-build/
 Phoenix.Pilipinoboi
By Phoenix.Pilipinoboi 2012-12-04 17:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks guys!

Yea, I was already browsing those topics but unfortunately, they are already up to date and leave nothing for returning players like me to build gear sets for.

However, I've always had a pretty decent idea of what to work with on what I do have, but I always welcome suggestions to help me improve. I will update my gear sets later for you guys to critique and give feedback for.

Lastly, I only ask the atmas for Abyssea because frankly, I believe that would be the easiest place to do my Apocalypse trials in. So I was curious as to what atmas should be standard for an Apoc DRK inside there since I've never really had the opportunity in the past to play with the weapon inside before.

Again, thanks in advance for feedback!

-Pilipinoboi.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-12-04 17:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

apoc trials in abyssea are still pretty much the same. If you're having problems landing kill shots use Griff claw as your 3rd atma for higher WS damage and lower DPS.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-12-04 17:29:28
Link | Quote | Reply

also this page discusses trials in abyssea:

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/27678/drk-resolution-gs-builds/45/
 Bismarck.Hsieh
Server: Bismarck
user: Hsieh
By Bismarck.Hsieh 2012-12-04 17:56:36
Link | Quote | Reply

It would be helpful if you posted your current gear set, but after I took a look you don't need to make any changes until you can grab hold of more aby items (Ogiers, Dilarm's sollerts, etc) and Nyzul (phorcys set). Your armadaberk is still good especially if it has the store tp 6 and double attack 3% augment.

I would focus on VW and Legion (if you can get into a good group).
Aim for Nyzul and maybe salvage after the update. NNI will be easier to obtain pieces after the update.

As for aby, I use for RR, VW, and SS or Apoc. Sadly if your Apoc isn't lvl 99, your damage won't be comparable to a Resolution build. It's still pretty useful to have an Apoc for soloing and such, but for mass zerg drk's will use a GS and spam Resolution. If you're not taking calabolg to 99, might look into other options for GS such as double attack or ragnarok.

Some pieces you can buy like Mekira-oto +1 for head and fracas grenade for ammo weaponskill set. (For STR modifers)
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2012-12-04 18:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
Wouldn't you want to use Bomb Core or something in place of stone?
By Solrain 2012-12-04 20:32:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ideally, yea. Ash probably just needs the STP specifically for his sets.
[+]
 Phoenix.Pilipinoboi
By Phoenix.Pilipinoboi 2012-12-04 22:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello, so for now, with the gear I currently own, I was able to come up with the following sets;

Aftermath Up TP Build;

Aftermath Down TP Build;

Catastrophe - Last Resort Up;

Catastrophe - Last Resort Down;

I know there are plenty of things to work on, but please let me know what you think of the things I have so far and in what way I can improve on.

Things to note; Armada Hauberk augments; MP+19, Store TP+6, Double Attack+2 and Hecatomb Leggings +1 STR+4 and Attack+6 augments.

Thanks again! Looking forward to your responses!

-Pilipinoboi.
 Phoenix.Pilipinoboi
By Phoenix.Pilipinoboi 2012-12-04 22:24:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Hsieh said: »
It would be helpful if you posted your current gear set, but after I took a look you don't need to make any changes until you can grab hold of more aby items (Ogiers, Dilarm's sollerts, etc) and Nyzul (phorcys set). Your armadaberk is still good especially if it has the store tp 6 and double attack 3% augment.

Aim for Nyzul and maybe salvage after the update. NNI will be easier to obtain pieces after the update.

As for aby, I use for RR, VW, and SS or Apoc. Sadly if your Apoc isn't lvl 99, your damage won't be comparable to a Resolution build. It's still pretty useful to have an Apoc for soloing and such, but for mass zerg drk's will use a GS and spam Resolution. If you're not taking calabolg to 99, might look into other options for GS such as double attack or ragnarok.

Some pieces you can buy like Mekira-oto +1 for head and fracas grenade for ammo weaponskill set. (For STR modifers)

Found this as the most useful response thus far. However, what atma is VW? I can't think of it. It's been too long, sorry!
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-12-04 22:32:52
Link | Quote | Reply

For Apoc in Abyssea I usually do RR GH Apoc, occationally RR Apoc Lion.
 Bismarck.Hsieh
Server: Bismarck
user: Hsieh
By Bismarck.Hsieh 2012-12-04 22:42:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Hsieh said: »

Found this as the most useful response thus far. However, what atma is VW? I can't think of it. It's been too long, sorry!
Sorry I meant VV (Voracious Violet). Gnarled Horn is also good for crit builds.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-12-04 22:43:42
Link | Quote | Reply

VV is pretty ***for Apoc.

Edit:
Can easily 5hit Apoc without regain from VV.
STR is capped with just cruor buffs + gear in most sets vs most aby nms I'm fairly sure.

AGI is a Cata mod.
Crit is great for Apoc in Aby, as most of it's dmg is white dmg.
The extra counter is just a nice bonus.

Edit2: Typo. Meant Aby, not VW (clearly, since talking about atmas:P)
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
user: Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2012-12-04 22:50:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I like, RR VV Apoc is what i use mainly.
RR, Apoc, and Gnarled horn (when I /mnk to tank stuff.)
sometimes like Apoc VV Griffin claw just to play about with.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2012-12-04 23:31:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello, so for now, with the gear I currently own, I was able to come up with the following sets;

I know there are plenty of things to work on, but please let me know what you think of the things I have so far and in what way I can improve on.

Things to note; Armada Hauberk augments; MP+19, Store TP+6, Double Attack+2 and Hecatomb Leggings +1 STR+4 and Attack+6 augments.

Thanks again! Looking forward to your responses!

-Pilipinoboi.

TP builds- I always find myself using Rose Strap for Store TP and any 5-hit builds. But if it doesn't mess with your x-hit, I suppose it's okay to have Sword Strap. Once you can get Phorcys Head/Legs while sticking with Armadaberk, swap the Blitz Ring for Tyrant's Ring, which you can get on AH for about 1-1.5 mil (or fight the VwNM for it too, that's what I did). With /SAM you can swap in Goading Belt for Windbuffet Belt during Aftermath.

For Cata, pretty much Ashman's build. Hag Stone for if you need for STP, Bomb Core if you're able to 5-hit without it.