Ashman's Amazon Cart
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-11-16 12:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

For those of you who don't know me (outside of game), I am an insatiable reader, among other things. I periodically put together orders for books to add to my library.

I have recently put another "please recommend books" thread on my FB wall and have added several suggestions to my cart. I have a decent collection of books that were referred, and am now looking for something light to add to the cart. I find when people tell you to read something they try something that they think will impress you (through complexity or size), spoke volumes to them (but may be old hat or hard to get into for someone else), or something that is "this weeks hotness".

Anyhow: I'm looking for some page fodder for my next couple book orders. I've enjoyed books from Twilight to Frankenstein, from 200 pages to 2000. I'll read pretty much anything. HOWEVER, i stereotypically hate detective novels and westerns. I can read something romantic but it stereotypically has to have something else going on. My favorite genre is probably light fantasy (just finished reading several Lev Grossman novels - ie "Harry Potter" stuff if you're not a big reader).

I'm actually looking for that type of book to round out this particular order. Something that a teen could read but you'd consider still stimulating to an adult.

All suggestions are appreciated! If i don't buy your book today I might on a future order!

<3 ~Ashley
 Bismarck.Faelar
Server: Bismarck
user: Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2012-11-16 12:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Look up the Kushiel series, first one is called Kushiel's Dart.

Amazing series.

Also, the Sword of Truth series, first one is Wizard's First Rule.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
Server: Carbuncle
user: analgesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2012-11-16 12:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-11-16 12:28:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Faelar said: »
Look up the Kushiel series, first one is called Kushiel's Dart.

Amazing series.

I'm tempted but I'm intimidated by books that go that far in the series (why i've never really tried anne mccaffrey). The ender series contains some of the best books i've ever read but they can't all be that :/
 Bismarck.Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2012-11-16 12:31:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »

I'm tempted but I'm intimidated by books that go that far in the series (why i've never really tried anne mccaffrey). The ender series contains some of the best books i've ever read but they can't all be that :/

Kushiel series is 3 books. The next 3 are from another characters perspective, later in the story, but are nowhere near as good, so the first 3 should be sufficient.

Sword of Truth....thats ALL of them. And you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by ignoring them. They are simply AMAZING. I cant really describe it. Very satisfying reads.

They even made a TV show out of it called "Legend of the Seeker", it might still be on Netflix. I think they did 2 seasons. But with every book to TV/Movie conversion, alot was mixed up, removed, or altered, so I suggest sticking to the books :D
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-11-16 12:33:31
Link | Quote | Reply

American Gods by Neil Gaiman was one of the most captivating reads I've read in years. It's modern day fairytale, fantasy stuff.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2012-11-16 12:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you read The Dark Tower series? if not, add that
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-11-16 12:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok fae, ill try it (go back to minecraft hippie!).

No i havent read fear and loathing. I think the "too much drugs" friends in school scared me off. I'm no straight-edge but the people who quote big lebowski 10 years later like it was their bible..... those people
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-11-16 12:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »
American Gods by Neil Gaiman was one of the most captivating reads I've read in years. It's modern day fairytale, fantasy stuff.

I enjoyed the world of the sandman, ill try it.

Bahamut.Dannyl said: »

I hate western era stuff but you're the fourth to say it (was already in the cart).
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-11-16 12:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're looking for charming, easy reads, that are very lighthearted I would also recommend Stardust (also by Gaiman) and Howl's Moving Castle.
[+]
 Bahamut.Tokidoki
By Bahamut.Tokidoki 2012-11-16 12:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

^This, This and more.... ^This.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2012-11-16 12:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you read H.P. Lovecraft or August Derleth? It's very interesting reading. Even the short stories are good horror. Plus you can buy digital anthologies on Amazon, so that's immediate reading.

My other favorites are classic detective fiction, so my other suggestions will not be too useful ^^;

I'll keep an eye on this thread too, I'm looking for reading material also :)
 Bismarck.Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2012-11-16 12:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Hippie? o.o;
Busy working and when I do get time to game, I'm playing Pokemon White :3

Texted my roommate, who is a bigger book nerd than I am, and she suggested the following:

*The Rhapsody Trilogy, by Elizabeth Hayden
*The Xanth series (Much longer than Sword of Truth)
*The Drizzt series (I'm reading these now, thoroughly enjoying them)
[+]
 Leviathan.Dastrian
Server: Leviathan
user: Dastrian
By Leviathan.Dastrian 2012-11-16 12:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply

If you haven't read Brandon Sanderson's books they're all really good. The Mistborn trilogy is great and fills the fantasy books that a young adult could get into requirement. The Way of Kings I thought was awesome too. Barrow by John Deakins is a bit older but I always liked it when I read it in my teens. Something more adult is Chronicles of the Black Company by glen cook. It's a darker, grittier kind of fantasy.
[+]
By volkom 2012-11-16 12:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Phoenix.Amael
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2012-11-16 12:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The Omen Machine and The Law of the Nines Missing from there.
Fear not for how many they are, they really go by fast once you get hooked on the story.
 Bahamut.Dannyl
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2012-11-16 12:47:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »

I enjoyed the world of the sandman, ill try it.

I hate western era stuff but you're the fourth to say it (was already in the cart).

lol, its anything but western era ;) Roland may be from a world that moved on, but it ain't no western ;) You won't be disappointed :D
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
Server: Carbuncle
user: analgesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2012-11-16 12:48:12
Link | Quote | Reply

No i havent read fear and loathing. I think the "too much drugs" friends in school scared me off. I'm no straight-edge but the people who quote big lebowski 10 years later like it was their bible..... those people

Not comparable :(
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-11-16 12:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Dark Tower is High Fantasy.
[+]
 Bismarck.Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2012-11-16 12:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amael said: »
Fear not for how many they are, they really go by fast once you get hooked on the story.

These are all the ones I own, didnt know 2 more were released. They continue where Confessor left off?
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-11-16 12:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
Have you read H.P. Lovecraft or August Derleth? It's very interesting reading. Even the short stories are good horror. Plus you can buy digital anthologies on Amazon, so that's immediate reading.

My other favorites are classic detective fiction, so my other suggestions will not be too useful ^^;

I'll keep an eye on this thread too, I'm looking for reading material also :)

I have a leatherbound complete works of HP. It's not necessarily detective fiction that gets me so much.... it's some of their style. I absolutely hate Koontz and Clancy too. They all share an air about it that i don't like (although I enjoyed James Rollins, and Douglas/Preston, which suprises some people who hear that I don't like the others).

Hippie? o.o;
Busy working and when I do get time to game, I'm playing Pokemon White :3

Texted my roommate, who is a bigger book nerd than I am, and she suggested the following:

*The Rhapsody Trilogy, by Elizabeth Hayden
*The Xanth series (Much longer than Sword of Truth)
*The Drizzt series (I'm reading these now, thoroughly enjoying them)

I own the whole Xanth series up to Roc and a hardplace. I stopped reading them back in High School (ugh i just dated myself) and fell out of sync with buying the new ones. I thank you for the reminder though ^^
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-11-16 12:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »

I own two copies of Shogun :3

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Ahleah
Server: Shiva
user: Ahleah
By Shiva.Ahleah 2012-11-16 13:05:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Super Fantasy fan here, and while I could recommend lots of various singles or series (that sword of truth series was great!) I'm gonna instead point you towards a fairly new writer, whose book impressed me due to his writing style, which reminded me more of a oral story from an old style storyteller or entertainer. While it is the start of a series (I can't remember if he specified a length but so far its at 3 books I think?) it also suffices as a very good solitary read. Instead of trying to paraphrase, I'll just spoiler an intro for ya below. :)

Edit: I'm so derp. Book is "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. <_<;;; Swear I had written that already...
[+]
 Shiva.Damonz
Server: Shiva
user: Damonz
By Shiva.Damonz 2012-11-16 13:05:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amael said: »

The Law of Nines isn't exactly part of The Sword of Truth series
it is related to it, but it's not quite a part of it, The Omen Machine on the other hand picks right up where Confessor left off I believe.
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2012-11-16 13:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Best book I've ever read. I recommend the unabridged version. I think it adds something like 150 pages.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2012-11-16 13:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Magician by Raymond E. Feist. It's fairly hefty at around 800 pages I think, but one of my all time faves. Then if you like it I'd suggest reading the next two in the series, Silverthorn and a Darkness at Sethanon. Those two are a lot shorter, but round out the set and tie up a lot of stuff. If you're still liking it, I then suggest Daughter, Mistress and Servant of the Empire, 3 books co-written by Feist and Janny Wurts (not much of a fan of Janny Wurts other stuff, but Stormwarden is ok). Let's just say they tell someone else's story during the same time period, but the way the two trilogies tie in to each other here and there is just an awesome experience.

I'm tempted but I'm intimidated by books that go that far in the series.
You shouldn't be intimidated by that, aside from the Wheel of Time series, every long series of books I've ever read are good as stand alones. I just find that if you're starting out on a really long series of books and find yourself enjoying it, it makes your choice of what to read next that much easier. :p

Anyway, another one fitting into your description a little better is Eragon by Christopher Paolini. Most people would have heard of this, even if it's only because of the shitty movie adaptation. The first book is a little childish, due to the fact that he started writing it at about age 15, but you can really see him growing as an author if you read the other three. Was supposed to be a trilogy, but turned into four books, and the fourth is huge lol.

Another couple of good fantasy authors are David Eddings and Robin Hobb.

Terry Pratchett is a master of fantasy/comedy. You can pick his books up anywhere, the chronology isn't so important, but they're all just such easy reading and funny. Absolutely stupid and absurd, but funny.

Another good one that's not fantasy, but military is anything by Matthew Riley. I've only read a couple myself, haven't got around to the rest, but it's kinda like James Bond meets Indiana Jones: Totally over the top non-stop action for 400 pages.

That's about all I've got I guess, aside from backing up other people's claim for Terry Goodkind.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2012-11-16 13:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't read book 2 yet (I haven't had my own income until recently) but if it's even half as good as Book 1, I'll enjoy it immensely.

There's also a prequel, meant to be read after Book 1 and 2.

[+]
By Venlo 2012-11-16 13:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Damonz said: »
The Law of Nines isn't exactly part of The Sword of Truth series
it is related to it, but it's not quite a part of it, The Omen Machine on the other hand picks right up where Confessor left off I believe.

There was also a shorter novella, Debt of Bones, placed somewhere around the area between Faith of the Fallen and Pillars of Creation, if memory serves.

That was one I never got around to reading, since I hadn't realized it existed until several books past where I should have read it. The rest of the series, however, was quite enjoyable.
 Fenrir.Tsuji
Server: Fenrir
user: Tsuji
By Fenrir.Tsuji 2012-11-16 13:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

If you like a good bit of fantasy that isn't too hocus-pocus, you should definitely try The Name Of The Wind, and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Both of them are brilliant, and I prefer them over any other fantasy books including the wildly acclaimed A Song Of Ice And Fire series from George R.R. Martin.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6