First Page 2 3 4
 Cerberus.Aydogan
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Aydogan
By Cerberus.Aydogan 2012-09-30 23:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey folks,

So I've recently been leading Ig-Alima shout groups, and they have really been hit or miss. I'm wondering: What is the best set up for this guy? I generally do something like 2x WHM, 2x BLM, SCH, BRD, 2x COR, and the rest E/R/M DD, and while we can usually muscle through a set, it generally takes an awful long time and has at least one wipe. In what way can I alter and improve my approach to set up more consistently successful runs?

Any tips/suggestions and productive discussion are appreciated.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-09-30 23:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as procs go you only need 1 blm, no sch (1 blm/sch can cover the magic) so get 2 heavier DD. Just my 2 cents.
 Asura.Fondue
Server: Asura
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2012-09-30 23:59:12
Link | Quote | Reply

dont invite gimps
[+]
 Phoenix.Terasan
Server: Phoenix
user: Terasan
By Phoenix.Terasan 2012-10-01 00:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

We pretty much use the same setup for any VWNM, works very well for us, but it's pretty specific.

DD parties (2 of them) consist of:
WAR
DRK
SAM or MNK (one each, preferably)
WHM
BRD
COR

Proc pt:
BLMx3 (Can replace one with SCH)
NIN
BLUx2

Make sure the DDs aren't gimp, we generally ignore NQ procs unless we desperately need temps, shouldn't need voidclusters unless the DDs are derp. Get procs, don't suck, etc.
[+]
 Shiva.Alistrianna
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Alistrianna 2012-10-01 00:24:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I try to get 2 SAM's, one for each melee party when I set up Ig. Warding Circle is a huge boost to dmg, assuming your DD's aren't crap. It can also last 4:30 if they have the appropriate gear. For the most part though I use the setup listed above and it works well.
 Carbuncle.Vaglabond
Server: Carbuncle
user: vaglabond
By Carbuncle.Vaglabond 2012-10-01 00:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

You could try asking people that are on the front line what temps they have. Considering Ig will cast doom, usually a person without a screen is a liability. This also holds to the concept that most people who don't have these temp items are either lazy or gimp. If you do get poor dd in your group, make sure they aren't sitting in a party with better buffs than those who are better candidates to do damage.

Personally, I parse most of my groups to see what the capabilities and limitations of other players are. If someone has 60% accuracy (which is often the case) I might recommend they start bringing sushi on the runs. I will usually check with a couple people I know to put up significant damage before starting a shout though, that way I can bring just about anyone who can proc.

The party Terasan lined out is usually what I end up going for. Although there have been times where we would put 3 buffers and no whm in a DD party. Other times we would put the only brd and cor in the alliance in the dd pt that would actually put up damage. This all reverts back to knowing the capabilities of your group. If people can proc and spam potions when fanatics wears (which shouldn't be prolonged periods) whms aren't even a quintessential job for a competent dd party.

Just make sure the less capable dd's are actually going for procs and not spamming low dmg weaponskills. Nothing chaps my hide like seeing a drk or war spam their respective ws with ~60% accuracy when their procs are up.
By Ashandarei 2012-10-01 00:54:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Vaglabond said: »
You could try asking people that are on the front line what temps they have. Considering Ig will cast doom, usually a person without a screen is a liability.

It's a TP move that causes doom and it's blocked 100% by Fanatic's. If your DD aren't completely HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and you're getting decent procs, don't let Fana fall and you don't have to worry about Doom.
[+]
 Fenrir.Curty
Server: Fenrir
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-10-01 01:01:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Terasan said: »
We pretty much use the same setup for any VWNM, works very well for us, but it's pretty specific.

DD parties (2 of them) consist of:
WAR
DRK
SAM or MNK (one each, preferably)
WHM
BRD
COR

Proc pt:
BLMx3 (Can replace one with SCH)
NIN
BLUx2

Make sure the DDs aren't gimp, we generally ignore NQ procs unless we desperately need temps, shouldn't need voidclusters unless the DDs are derp. Get procs, don't suck, etc.

People really need to start bringing 2 blms one smn/sch instead of 3 blms... makes me sad that so many leaders have not updated this.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-10-01 01:02:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »
As far as procs go you only need 1 blm, no sch (1 blm/sch can cover the magic) so get 2 heavier DD. Just my 2 cents.
I don't recommend this. Magic procs are key, relying on a single BLM to do all the black magic procs is going to slow things down considerably. Two should be the absolute minimum number.
[+]
By Chyula 2012-10-01 01:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Fondue said: »
dont invite gimps

Yep, especially a taru relic sam. Tired of watching that midget go down every fight. disgusting.............
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-10-01 01:06:56
Link | Quote | Reply

SMN only contributes 9 unique procs, if you have them buffing a DD party between procs that's one thing but it's not a huge deal if you're just throwing them in the mage party.
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-10-01 01:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

For most voidwatch fights, the optimal set up is:

Pt 1: DRK WAR MNK COR BRD SCH
Pt 2: DRK RNG SAM DRG COR WHM
Pt 3: BLM BLM SMN BLU BLU NIN

Will note that this set up relies on DRK WAR MNK(which can be switched with the rng sam or drg if they are better DDs) to all be non-derps.
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-10-01 01:10:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
SMN only contributes 9 unique procs, if you have them buffing a DD party between procs that's one thing but it's not a huge deal if you're just throwing them in the mage party.

Smn procs are weirdly common, and able to be hit very quickly. Definitely a mistake to not bring them to any of the harder fights.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-10-01 01:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It really is just as simple as not inviting gimp DDs. I still think people are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE for inviting 2 BLUs (**for procs only**)--I would personally recommend BLU SMN BLM BLM SCH NIN in the mage party. SCH can stun oblivion mantle so that should never be an issue with or without drinks. DDs can be anything as long as they're varied. Should be dead in 2-3m max.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-10-01 01:13:10
Link | Quote | Reply

You're eyeballing. If that's your angle, why don't you make a bigger point of bringing someone /DNC?
By Chyula 2012-10-01 01:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

pt 1: sam,war,war,whm,cor,sam
pt 2: mnk,drg,whm,brd,drk,nin
pt 3: blm,blm,rdm,smn,blu,rng

basically whm don't have to spam cure on 4 players in each pt.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-10-01 01:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

What the *** are you bringing a RDM for?

EDIT: Why is the BRD in the gimp DD party, etc... That setup is bad.
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2012-10-01 01:16:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Surprised you didn't throw in a PLD with the RDM there.
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2012-10-01 01:17:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you should be able to bring 1 of every job in the game minus two and still be able to win, again if people arent gimp, are using the correct food and working as a team.
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-10-01 01:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You're eyeballing. If that's your angle, why don't you make a bigger point of bringing someone /DNC?

SMN procs appear a minimum of 3X more often than dnc procs. Don't ask me why, and yes it's "eyeballing", but nonetheless it happens. You really haven't voidwatched often enough recently to comment.
By Chyula 2012-10-01 01:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

cuz I don't like one pt getting all buff while the other don't get ***, stp roll for 2 hander is enough for first pt. if proc land on 2nd pt and they are slow. then the fight going to be ***.

I havent play the game for months, I'm not sure if they take out rdm's proc magic. if that is the case then that spot is optional. blm,rdm,sch have your choice.
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2012-10-01 01:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, they took our RDM procs, so RDM offers nothing other than Dia III, really. Should have a SCH since they can take care of a set of magic procs along with Libra and Embrava.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-10-01 01:25:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Curty said: »

SMN procs appear a minimum of 3X more often than dnc procs. Don't ask me why, and yes it's "eyeballing", but nonetheless it happens. You really haven't voidwatched often enough recently to comment.

Chyula said: »
cuz I don't like one pt getting all buff while the other don't get ***, stp roll for 2 hander is enough for first pt. if proc land on 2nd pt and they are slow. then the fight going to be ***.
The *** is this post? No.
[+]
By Chyula 2012-10-01 01:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

the best trick for any VW fight is know how to keep fanatic up almost 100% of the time. fanatic timer overwrite itself, you use nothing else after a red proc, you can force yellow proc to replenish your fanatic drink. just have to use that drink before its timer is up.
 Shiva.Alistrianna
By Shiva.Alistrianna 2012-10-01 01:39:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I would say this is more or less common sense than calling it a trick. I usually find that people that don't keep Fanatic's up are either to lazy to type it out or use a macro to get Physical Shield back on.
By Chyula 2012-10-01 01:50:37
Link | Quote | Reply

well most people only use it after they get hit, they don't use it before timer run out. Then when they use it'll more likely they'll use other meds to clean out those nasty statue effect, which yellow proc will not guaranteed to replenish fanatic drink.
 Shiva.Alistrianna
By Shiva.Alistrianna 2012-10-01 01:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

you aren't guaranteed a temp with every yellow proc. There have been plenty of times I've seen a yellow with Fanatic's as the temp I used last and I didn't get it back.
 Bahamut.Cantontai
Server: Bahamut
user: Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2012-10-01 01:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

WAR WAR BRD COR SAM WHM
DRK RNG MNK COR WHM DD (a DRK for Pil, PLD for some VWNM with adds)
BLM BLM BLU NIN Mage Mage (Can do second BLU, SMN, whatever can proc)

This has always worked well for me.

And in answer to the OP, don't bring shitty DDs and Ig-Alima is easy. If you have to bring shitty DDs, use displacers.

ETA: Credit for my VW setup is due to Kujah, although I have experimented with it on my own and found his original advice to be perfect.
 Bahamut.Bekisa
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2012-10-01 02:03:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd rather take 1 BLU and 1 SMN, than 2 BLU and 0 SMN. A single BLU can handle all 3/5 procs on Ig by themselves and it opens up a bunch of SMN procs, because they always happen when you don't bring one. As long as it's not something that dies in a few mins like Akvan, Qilin, Pil, etc. 1 BLU is fine and has more than enough time to swap for that critical 3 or 5, if needed.

Making sure your DD have most, if not all temps, is pretty critical on this fight too. Nothing like seeing a random shout LS run and half the gimp DD getting 1-2 shot, or dropping because they don't have doom screens~
First Page 2 3 4