Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Windower » Support » Macro Keyboards
Macro Keyboards
By Aeyela 2012-09-28 12:49:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I would like to take advantage of a macro keyboard I have, but I can't get it to work with Final Fantasy XI.

The problem is basically when tabbed onto windower it's like the keys aren't being pressed. When in any other application it works fine. I think the problem is the macro button configuration or buttons are not being sent into the game, like they should be, but simply sent to Windower. I'm not sure, but that's my guess.

I have done some reading up on this and didn't find a solution. The only pointer I found was to use an old plugin that enabled 'outside' keystrokes to work. I could not find this plugin, however. There appears to be no version on the Windower website and I couldn't find one Googling.

Is there a way around this? If so, how do I do it? If anyone can help or knows how, I'd appreciate the assistance. :)
 Bismarck.Hsieh
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Hsieh
By Bismarck.Hsieh 2012-09-28 12:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Which keyboard do you use?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-09-28 12:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you tried this one yet?
http://forums.windower.net/topic/21419-windower-plugins-binder/
By Aeyela 2012-09-28 13:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm using a Logitech media keyboard 600, means nothing to me, though. The alternative I used with another game that had this problem was Autohotkey, but that doesn't work with XI either, but I think for the same reasons.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2012-09-28 13:25:02
Link | Quote | Reply

is it this one?
I dont see any macro keys?
By Aeyela 2012-09-28 13:58:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It is. The 'F Mode' turns every F key into a programmeable button. I don't have to use the default modes. For example I made F12 on Final Fantasy XIV act as Scroll Lock so that I could take screenshots, since the keyboard doesn't have a scroll lock key anywhere.

Can assign any number of macros presses to the keys. Used them before for that purpose, and like I said, they work - just not in XI.
 Fenrir.Framerate
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: framerate
By Fenrir.Framerate 2012-09-28 14:08:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The plugin you want is "binder". If it doesn't support your keyboard, you'll want to put something on the windower forums for Iryoku, since he's the author.
 Quetzalcoatl.Iryoku
VIP
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Iryoku
By Quetzalcoatl.Iryoku 2012-10-01 01:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, I just noticed this thread.

The Media Keyboard 600 uses Logitech's SetPoint software, which was problematic when adding support for the G700 mouse to Binder. It may be possible to read the F-Mode enabled function keys, but I can't guarantee anything. Windows places some restrictions on what I can do.

In any case, if it's possible, I'm willing to add support for this keyboard if you're willing to provide me with the information. If you can, please get on the #windower IRC channel on ffochat.com, and I'll tell you what I need, and how you can get it. If you can't get on IRC for some reason, send me a PM.
By Aeyela 2012-10-15 09:34:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I found how to get this working.

I closed the SetPoint control panel that loads on start up and then re-opened as administrator. I could never get Ventrilo's push to talk button to work when tabbed into the game without loading it as administrator. This made me wonder if I needed to run the keyboard software as an admin too to make it work and it did.

Works fine, without plugins too! One thing worth mentioning, though, is you need to do this before you load the game. The admin prompt seems to crash my PlayOnline.
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2012-10-15 13:25:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The UAC prompt crashes FFXI if you have it set to use the full-screen dimming. If you turn off the dimming (one level down on the UAC prompt preferences; not recommended, but you can leave the prompt notification on, so not too bad), it's fine.

I think it has something about taking exclusive control of the video surface, probably related to some of the hacks to keep players from tabbing out of the game back in the day.
 Quetzalcoatl.Iryoku
VIP
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Iryoku
By Quetzalcoatl.Iryoku 2012-10-16 03:57:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm glad you got it working. ^^ My offer to add support to Binder still stands if you want it.

Fenrir.Motenten said: »
The UAC prompt crashes FFXI if you have it set to use the full-screen dimming.

I think it has something about taking exclusive control of the video surface, probably related to some of the hacks to keep players from tabbing out of the game back in the day.
Close, it's nothing malicious on SE's part, though. SecureDesktop (the fullscreen dimming) locks the display, and when it returns, any open DirectX applications will receive D3DERR_DEVICELOST. You're generally supposed to handle the error by reacquiring the device; SE does not. Interestingly this is the same error that occurs when you alt-tab away from a full screen game, most games just handle it and move on, Final Fantasy XI terminates.