Borealis VS Caladbolg(90)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Borealis VS Caladbolg(90)
Borealis VS Caladbolg(90)
 Fenrir.Curty
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-09-21 09:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

So basically the fight needs to be one of these situations in order to /sam to beat out /war:
-last less than 20 seconds on a monster that you will have capped acc
-you need to be receiving enough buffs that acc/attk is capped on the mob without zerk/gressor

Neither of these situations seems worth discussing.

Cerberus.Taint said: »
/sam for very fast fights like ADL or with fighters

/war for the rest

I completely disagree with /sam to ADL. Parsed both and zerk/agressor adds a substantial amount of damage.
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-09-21 10:01:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Ryanx said: »

With borealis you can make a 5 hit

You can six hit Cala too, dropping a hit isn't always the best option.
Ragnarok.Returner said: »
For Legion at the least, you will still need aggressor to cap Accuracy even with relic, and SE or DE on Harpi.

What are your WARs doing to cap ACC? Serious question, since DRK has more ACC even without Agressor.
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-09-21 10:11:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Curty said: »
So basically the fight needs to be one of these situations in order to /sam to beat out /war:
-last less than 20 seconds on a monster that you will have capped acc
-you need to be receiving enough buffs that acc/attk is capped on the mob without zerk/gressor

Neither of these situations seems worth discussing.

/sam for very fast fights like ADL or with fighters

/war for the rest

I completely disagree with /sam to ADL. Parsed both and zerk/agressor adds a substantial amount of damage.

Wat? ADL is squishy as hell and you obviously weren't properly buffed. ADL lives what 10-15 seconds? Sekka is going a ton more for you even if zerk is adding an extremely small amount of att. You are most definitely capped on ACC I would hope, Agressor isn't even part of the equation on ADL.
[+]
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-09-21 10:18:10
Link | Quote | Reply

How are you doing ADL in 10 seconds? Do you not bother pausing at 55%? With chaos and (non-SVed)minuetX2, zerk still added a decent boost to WS dmg. We don't receive madrigal/hunters (brd is only a mule) so acc isn't capped without aggressor.
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-09-21 10:29:57
Link | Quote | Reply

How are you doing ADL in 10 seconds? Do you not bother pausing at 55%? With chaos and (non-SVed)minuetX2, zerk still added a decent boost to WS dmg. We don't receive madrigal/hunters (brd is only a mule) so acc isn't capped without aggressor.

We chip away to 60%, put up PD then zerg him down after the split. Only buffs are Chaos/Fighters. If I'm not capped on Att I'm extremely close and everyone caps ACC on him. We kill him with as few as 6 people. (+ my COR mule)
 Lakshmi.Kukailimoku
Server: Lakshmi
user: Kuahana
By Lakshmi.Kukailimoku 2012-09-21 10:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

We chip away to 60%, put up PD then zerg him down after the split. Only buffs are Chaos/Fighters. If I'm not capped on Att I'm extremely close and everyone caps ACC on him. We kill him with as few as 6 people. (+ my COR mule)

i'd be interested in your sequence of events pre-mid-post pop and up until the 60% PD if you don't mind. my group does it with 8 and we PD before popping, so i a very much interested in your strategy. my group we buff rotating in cor>brd>smn smn does eward>astral>popper pops>then we PD. kill down to ~45% no less than 40% after split we have the smn's shock squall stagger and kill both adl's(both if the first is wrong)
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-09-21 10:36:25
Link | Quote | Reply

10-15 seconds is definitely an exaggeration. But I understand from your strat how /sam could be more useful because you want that 1st 40% taken down ASAP
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2012-09-21 10:37:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually use a 7 hit build with DA with my Caladbolg, simply because with a 6 hit, i lost quite a bit of DPS, and changing the rate of WS by 1 hit really doesn't mean anything in a short fight.

As for ADL, it gets dropped pretty fast with 2 DD, a whm, cor and smn.
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-09-21 10:40:34
Link | Quote | Reply

10-15 seconds is definitely an exaggeration. But I understand from your strat how /sam could be more useful because you want that 1st 40% taken down ASAP

No we slow kill the first 40% with only 2 of our 4 DDs even engaged. Its the post split where /sam excels.
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-09-21 10:45:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Kukailimoku said: »

i'd be interested in your sequence of events pre-mid-post pop and up until the 60% PD if you don't mind. my group does it with 8 and we PD before popping, so i a very much interested in your strategy. my group we buff rotating in cor>brd>smn smn does eward>astral>popper pops>then we PD. kill down to ~45% no less than 40% after split we have the smn's shock squall stagger and kill both adl's(both if the first is wrong)

We buff. Chaos/Fighers from my mule. Then put up SMN buffs. Diabolos (MDB) Garuda (haste) Ifrit (enfire) Titan (stoneskin) Then we Embrava. 2 DDs chip away at him until 65-70 then we stun/bash and put PD up.

When he starts the SMN animation we use all our JAs, assist one person and wreck it. SMN uses an vile elixor and attempts to get a squall off. 2 SMNs makes him a joke since you get the guarenteed squall at 20%.

Our strats aren't very different we just wait to PD since he's pretty harmless presplit and it buys us more time if the first kill is the clone.
 Lakshmi.Kukailimoku
By Lakshmi.Kukailimoku 2012-09-21 10:51:05
Link | Quote | Reply

We buff. Chaos/Fighers from my mule. Then put up SMN buffs. Diabolos (MDB) Garuda (haste) Ifrit (enfire) Titan (stoneskin) Then we Embrava. 2 DDs chip away at him until 65-70 then we stun/bash and put PD up.

When he starts the SMN animation we use all our JAs, assist one person and wreck it. SMN uses an vile elixor and attempts to get a squall off. 2 SMNs makes him a joke since you get the guarenteed squall at 20%.

Our strats aren't very different we just wait to PD since he's pretty harmless presplit and it buys us more time if the first kill is the clone.

I doubt we will try beating it to 60% without PD mostly because we win a lot with our strategy now, but I'll bring it up to add some tweaks for future reference. we basically lose if for some reason he gets off a terra slash or the terror aoe move which i'm sure happens with any low man set up.
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-09-21 10:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots/67513

Rough math, dont want to spend too much time on it.

11935/8 hits = 1491 * .80 (20% crit damage gear) = 1242 / 3.25 (max Pdif with no lvl correction) = 382 - 143 (weapon) - 23 (fSTR) = 216

200str in WS build * .85 alpha = 170

216/170 = 1.27

Resolution
0.71875 at 100%
0.84375 at 200%
0.96875 at 300%

Pretty sure Pdif was capped or extremely close. (WAR w/ zerk, RCB, chaos roll 11)
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-09-21 10:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I doubt we will try beating it to 60% without PD mostly because we win a lot with our strategy now, but I'll bring it up to add some tweaks for future reference. we basically lose if for some reason he gets off a terra slash or the terror aoe move which i'm sure happens with any low man set up.

Yeah wipes happen when you low man. Terra slash should only hit one DD if you stay spread out but that terror AoE is annoying. The 20% Squall is the game changer.

A DRK can hold ADL if you want to recover.
 Lakshmi.Kukailimoku
By Lakshmi.Kukailimoku 2012-09-21 11:05:52
Link | Quote | Reply

i have to say i like that extra time under PD by starting the zerg @60% rather than from 100%, i'll have to bring it up and possibly try it on our next pops tomorrow.
 Bismarck.Hsieh
Server: Bismarck
user: Hsieh
By Bismarck.Hsieh 2012-09-21 11:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I built both Calabolg and Ragnarok just to avoid the GS debates. I build the apoc first so I can enjoy DRK more.
[+]
 Asura.Jem
Server: Asura
user: Jemmy
By Asura.Jem 2012-09-22 06:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe I should have specified that I meant WAR main not as a subjob when doing a standalone zerg.
 Ragnarok.Returner
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2012-09-22 10:49:39
Link | Quote | Reply

For Legion at the least, you will still need aggressor to cap Accuracy even with relic, and SE or DE on Harpi.

What are your WARs doing to cap ACC? Serious question, since DRK has more ACC even without Agressor.

I think hasso + zenshin more than covered the skill difference. And if I am not mistaken, I think warriors tp set (since they have to use max haste tp set, which is rich in ACC) has slightly more accuracy than the normal DRK embrava multi hit set. DE/SE is what makes the difference on Harpi for DRK where WAR should cap on everything else with aggressor.
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-09-22 12:14:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I think hasso + zenshin more than covered the skill difference. And if I am not mistaken, I think warriors tp set (since they have to use max haste tp set, which is rich in ACC) has slightly more accuracy than the normal DRK embrava multi hit set. DE/SE is what makes the difference on Harpi for DRK where WAR should cap on everything else with aggressor.

Legion is def a DRK/WAR event, but aggressor isn't a big factor.

DRKs TP in almost the same ACC as WAR and benefit from a ton of flexibility in gear selection. 623acc on DRK (DE only) vs 619acc on WAR (aggressor only). Chances are your buffs are based around you WARs and will have songs/feint/impact etc to keep ACC capped.

Anyways I 100% agree with you.