Building a cheap WHM
First Page 2
 Bismarck.Danz
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2012-08-18 11:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

ok. i got my alt account up to reasonable levels. i need to start getting some decent gear. however i really don't want to dump a tun of gil into it. i'm dumping too much into spells ^^;

anyway. i was wandering. is this a acceptable gear set for budget WHM?
the staff is only +2 spending tuns of time/gil getting that higher isnt high on my priority. ill just buy geodes as they drop in price and get it over time.

here is the gear.

Bahamut.Krizz
Server: Bahamut
user: Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2012-08-18 11:44:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sirona's ring trumps aquasoul now
[+]
 Bahamut.Itze
user: Itze
By Bahamut.Itze 2012-08-18 11:50:22
Link | Quote | Reply

That looks like a m.acc staff nto cure pot. Of course +2 your gear, AF3 necklace isn't hard to get 100%.
Bishop sash if it's cheap on your server.
Krizz is actually right for once and buy that ring, but get another healing magic skill ring to go with it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ravant
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ravant
By Ragnarok.Ravant 2012-08-18 11:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my alts whm gear lol. Its really outdated but Ive never once had a problem with it. Im sure there are tons of things I could upgrade but I never even bother.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2012-08-18 12:11:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Things I can note off hand is getting +2 Legs, Body, and Head. The extra benefit from Cureskin on +2 body and 2mp/tick refresh is very nice. +2 Head will give you 3% more potency and is fairly simple to assemble a pop set for the boss with the hardest part of the pop building process being Tunga. The extra % conversion of the pants as +2 goes a long way to making WHM efficient on cures and I would personally prioritize that piece over the other two pieces - but in the end, all three are equally as important and decently simple to build for.

Keep in mind that the latent effect for medicine ring only activates when you're in yellow HP. That isn't hard to do in Abyssea, but outside you may have issues with that unless you want to invest somewhat heavily into a latent set.

A good compliment to the Sirona's ring that was mentioned earlier is the ephedra ring. For straight up cures, skill is very important now.

The WHM empyrean neck that was mentioned earlier by Itze is also a good piece and I'd recommend it too.

If you're looking for straight up MND pieces for the cheap to build a MND set as well, consider looking up Kaikias' cape and ajari bead necklace. Both are fairly common and cheap to come by. aredan earring is another nice piece to have for MND as well that is fairly low on the AH. The three items I mentioned in this paragraph comes up to a grand total of about 50K on Ragnarok ATM.

In the end, it depends on how many sets you want and what you want to build for. If you're looking for a straight up Cure mule with nothing else, prioritize the AF pieces listed above, cap out potency (50%), and than stack skill for all it's worth and go from there.
[+]
By mortontony1 2012-08-18 12:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Kind of off topic, but how would you recommend going about getting a whm alt all set for that stuff? How did you do it? Mine's at 38 right now sub unlocked but I haven't set one yet, planning on not doing that until I beat maat. Just take her into aby and burn to 50, break cap, repeat then sit and skill up for hours?
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2012-08-18 12:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I would recommend unlocking sch subjob as well
By mortontony1 2012-08-18 13:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah was going to get sch and blm after maat. Just saw no real need to level a sub before him though, mainly so I don't get into a habit of relying on it.

Edit: All I was going to really do with this alt is to be a curepot for me to 'solo' aby NMs so I can finally get a damn emp or two.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2012-08-18 13:17:06
Link | Quote | Reply

As you've said, just Abyssea burn it or FoV burn it if you're looking for a mule. Clear all the G's as you get them and go from there. Skilling isn't too bad and if you're looking just for a mule, you don't necessarily need capped skill, just try to get to 300's with the enfeebling and enhancing and 400 with Healing skill.

Since you're mostly planning to use 'em as a solo duo box, don't need to worry too much about anything else.

Now... if you wanted to ask how to gear the WHM at 99 afterwards, that can be a huge laundry list of stuff =p

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By mortontony1 2012-08-19 13:12:43
Link | Quote | Reply

What method did you use for maat? Run away for 5 mins and cure yourself every now and then?
 Carbuncle.Iconoclasm
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Iconoclasm 2012-08-19 13:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to add doing two limit breaks before going into abyssea, so you can stay in for a whole 9 levels in abyssea instead of having to stop after just 5 levels, other than that I'd follow Gishlain's advice on gear and Tunga's KI are found in boxes now so... if you know how to set your lights for KIs your good to go on farming the boss.
 Carbuncle.Snoochybooch
By Carbuncle.Snoochybooch 2012-08-19 13:37:04
Link | Quote | Reply

mortontony1 said: »
What method did you use for maat? Run away for 5 mins and cure yourself every now and then?

An easy way to win is to repose, run to entrance, repose, run to far side, rinse repeat.
By mortontony1 2012-08-19 13:39:25
Link | Quote | Reply

And that would be surviving 5 minutes?
 Carbuncle.Snoochybooch
By Carbuncle.Snoochybooch 2012-08-19 13:49:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You asked for a method, I gave you one.
By mortontony1 2012-08-19 13:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Wasn't being a ***, just asking for clarification, have literally never played a whm before.
 Carbuncle.Snoochybooch
By Carbuncle.Snoochybooch 2012-08-19 13:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, sorry, thats what I get for assuming.

Literally, its surviving for 5 minutes. Reposing him makes it stupid easy. Just have blink and SS up for when he comes running. You may have to clear his shadows.
By mortontony1 2012-08-19 14:00:22
Link | Quote | Reply

It's cool. Thanks will get on that asap now!
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2012-08-19 14:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I just ran like a *** and cured myself over and over, you dont even need to use cures, medicine works fine. Wiki says cure yourself for about 5k and you win, I cured myself for 8k before he finally let me win.
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-08-19 14:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »
Keep in mind that the latent effect for medicine ring only activates when you're in yellow HP. That isn't hard to do in Abyssea, but outside you may have issues with that unless you want to invest somewhat heavily into a latent set.
I think you may have this mixed up. Those HP latents activate when you have less than 75% of your base HP, not necessarily when you are in the yellow. In Aby you'd have to drop your cruor buffs and then still use a latent set to go lower and trigger the latent, which forces you to run around at very low HP levels (~813 or so).
 Valefor.Thioo
Server: Valefor
user: Thio
By Valefor.Thioo 2012-08-19 14:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't mean to derail at all but I have a decently geared whm mule and I was curious as to an easy way to skill up healing magic?
By mortontony1 2012-08-19 14:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you use spellcast?
 Valefor.Thioo
By Valefor.Thioo 2012-08-19 14:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you use spellcast?

Yessir
By mortontony1 2012-08-19 14:16:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Should be pretty easy to find a script that casts cure 1 on yourself so many times, then refresh, rinse repeat, or something like that.
By mortontony1 2012-08-19 14:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Here seems to be a decent one
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/23696/skillup-xlm/#1435423
 Quetzalcoatl.Liadeti
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nympha
By Quetzalcoatl.Liadeti 2012-08-19 14:49:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ruizutatakau said: »
I just ran like a *** and cured myself over and over, you dont even need to use cures, medicine works fine. Wiki says cure yourself for about 5k and you win, I cured myself for 8k before he finally let me win.

This is pretty much what I did too when I first fought him.
 Valefor.Thioo
By Valefor.Thioo 2012-08-19 14:52:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks a bunch!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Bekisa
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2012-08-19 15:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

hermes drink can help a lot too if you find yourself getting punched too much. That's all I used for my whm mule, his skill wasn't near high enough for me to repose Maat and I was to lazy to skill it.

Ran in fully buffed, got maats attention then just ran to the other side. Ran back to circle. After doing this a couple times my Stoneskin, blink was gone and I was getting low on HP trying to stay alive. Popped a hermes, ran to other side, cured and SS up again. When maat got to me, sprinted back to circle. Hermes wore on this trip back. Just did the same thing and the fight ended before I was in real danger again -- never had to use benediction. I had my finger on the trigger though right when the fight ended.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2012-08-19 22:32:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If I recall correctly, that's a specific effect for sorcerer's ring. I distinctly recall using Medicine Ring to great effect in Abyssea with little harm to myself for 10% Potency in a single slot. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

As for WHM Maat, as with the advice above, I'd also recommend poking Maat with a Banishga before slapping him with Repose as Blink can absorb your Repose if it is up. Banishga will help get around that situation. If you're gonna go the Repose route, be prepared to have a fairly high Divine Magic skill level to get it to land consistently. Otherwise, doing a straight up Curebomb route with meds can circumvent the need for Divine Magic Skill.
First Page 2