Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » Getting Friends drg ready for NNI
Getting Friends drg ready for NNI
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-08-05 08:04:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm atm getting an almost new player's DRG geared up so he can run NNI with rest of our little group of friends

im looking into som decent TP and ws gear sets

- we are atm running him through nyzul for practice and drakesbane
- He does not have Rose strap atm
- we are about to complete his OaT polearm

Here is what im messing around with atm

TP:

WS Drakesbane:

gear has to be from
abyssea
Dynamis
or action house*

*around 600k per piece, max 2mill for entire set as i have to pay it

i did try to look at the forum but found mostly gearset with empy +1 stuff or gearsets with neo/voidwatch heavy combo's

any input is appreciated
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2012-08-05 08:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

For starters, how bout some haste legs. Ace's hose, or augmented bestia breeches. Both from abyssea. No gil required.

For WS, Clout boots? 9 STR, from abyssea. STP- though. Rancor collar for neck. 400k on phoenix, 2% more crit, 6 more acc, and cheaper than nefarious. Would need to go cap tonberry hate though.

Hell, for the price of the nef, you could get a justiciar's and make a good start on Rancorous mantle.

Anyway There are better options, but none come to mind within those limits.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-08-05 08:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ryunohige.
[+]
 Valefor.Kensagaku
Server: Valefor
user: Kensagaku
By Valefor.Kensagaku 2012-08-05 08:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

TP:

I had a decent 5-hit build before I did Neo Nyzul gear with the OAT polearm, lemme think how to set it up, it's been a while:

OAT Polearm/Rose Strap/N/A/Hagneia Stone
Lancer's+2/Houyi's Gorget/Ghillie Earring (or +1)/Brutal Earring
Lancer's+2/Dusk+1 or Brego/Rajas/Tyrant's Ring
Atheling Mantle/Bullwhip or Phos/Ace's Hose or Bestia/Lancer's+2

For a 5-hit with the OAT lance you need 45 STP. This set provides you with +30, and going /SAM provides the additional 15. This also caps your haste. However, it's not a "true" 5-hit as you won't keep your 5-hit with a WS included, simply because you'd have to WS in STP gear. Not fun.

Of course, since you're probably going /WAR to NNI (the Provoke helps on gears and I'm sure the damage is decent as well) then you might want to drop down to a six-hit like so:

OAT Polearm/Pole Grip or Claymore Grip/N/A/Hagneia Stone
Lancer's+2/Ganesha's Mala (or Portus Collar, or Agasaya's)/Ghillie Earring (or +1)/Brutal Earring
Lancer's+2/Dusk+1 or Brego/Rajas/Tyrant's Ring
Atheling Mantle/Bullwhip or Phos/Ace's Hose or Bestia/Lancer's+2

This gives you the 21 STP you need to hit a 6-hit and provides some offensive options. I normally do not advocate the Claymore grip, but I could see that crit rate being useful for Drakesbane; I personally use the Pole Grip and Stardiver.

WS:

First off, I would suggest getting Stardiver. I was loathe to give up Drakesbane and still use it occasionally, but Stardiver rocks its socks off. Here's some sets you can look into for both WS:

Drakes:
OAT Polearm/Pole Grip or Claymore/N/A/Thew Bomblet
Twilight Helm/Nefarious Collar (or Rancor**)/Brutal Earring/Ghillie (or +1)
Twilight Mail/Lancer's+2/Rajas Ring/Pyrosoul Ring
Rancorous Mantle (or Atheling**)/Anguinus Belt/Lancer's+2/Hecatomb Leggings +1 (aug'd with STR/ATK/Polearm skill, at least 2/3)

**Do NOT pair both Rancor pieces, they do not stack. The ones outside the parentheses are most recommended.

Stardiver:
OAT Polearm/Pole Grip/N/A/Thew Bomblet
Twilight Helm/Shadow Gorget/Brutal Earring/Ghillie
Twilight Mail/Lancer's+2/Rajas Ring/Pyrosoul Ring
Atheling or Cerberus Mantle/Shadow Belt/Lancer's+2/Hecatomb Leggings+1 (at least aug'd with STR)

I know I'm going above and beyond your specified limits by tossing sky and Voidwatch gear into the mix, as well as a few more expensive pieces, but you're talking NNI. Taking NNI lightly short of cheating is asking to lose on an early floor, and it helps to have your DDs all at the top of your game. I tried to be lenient on some gear, but unfortunately to have a spitting chance at NNI you need to really be at the top of your game. I've learned that from experience, and as a DRG for life I hope to pass the advice onto you to help you a bit.

Hope you guys do well in NNI! And once you start getting some wins that DRG can get pimped out quickly, like mine did. ^^b
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-08-05 08:59:35
Link | Quote | Reply

How about Stardiver.

And something like Rancor collar, Phos belt, Ace feet and Calmecac trousers.
For Stardiver uhm...Pyrosoul, elemental gorget and something like Avant+1 feet or Gigantes, Idk.

Edit: Moonshade earring.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2012-08-05 12:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

My main advice is forget you have Drakesbane and get Stardiver.

It shouldn't be too hard to pick up Heca Feet, if we're talking gearing for Neo Nyzul, you should be able to put the effort in really.
[+]
 Asura.Zaphir
Server: Asura
user: zaphir
By Asura.Zaphir 2012-08-05 14:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree you should get Stardiver, but Drakesbane is still nice to have for some mobs depending on your setup. For example, you can use it to make a light SC with kaiten or shoha, which is especially nice for the PDT- flan.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2012-08-06 05:47:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice to skillchain with yourself too~ Drakes > Star for Gravitation~ But still, regardless of how fun skillchaining is (And useful at occasions), Stardiver is still way better than Drakes and should be your primary focus.
 Odin.Arkista
Server: Odin
By Odin.Arkista 2012-08-17 11:41:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Tp Set

Stardiver Set