2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » Gear Advice
Gear Advice
First Page 2
By ZerroTol 2012-07-10 20:10:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I know there are a ton of gear threads here already, but most seem weeks old and I didn't want to jack someone else's thread to ask these questions, so sorry.

I've been playing drg for many years, but only recently got the motivation to get the best gear that I could obtain. This is partly due to finally getting my level 85 Rhong. I doubt Ill ever get the help I need to get some of the gear from a lot of end game events besides VWNM(which I havent even started yet), so I'm looking mostly for easy replacements or gear that can be bought with gil I make from dyna. The following is my current gear set, which I basically use whether TPing or WSing. (I know I'm going to get flamed for saying that, but I'm posting to learn this stuff.)

Replace the 80 Rhong with 85.

The next moves I plan to make are trying to get Brego Gloves and a str ring(pyrosoul currently too expensive for me) to replace heed/keen ring which I currently use. I've been choosing to stick with DA/TA/QA gear, but it's come at a loss to haste which I don't really know if it's better or worse. Which brings me to my first question: Is it worth losing the DA +4% on af3 +2 gloves for +4% haste from brego? If thats the case, should I drop the windbuffet belt and try to get myself a twilight/goading belt for TPing.

My second question is then: Should I WS in windbuffet to hope TA/QA proc which would cause a huge spike in damage, or should I opt for something like pipilaka belt which would only give me slightly better numbers, but much more consistent? I also need advice on what neck I should use for TPing. I plan on just macroing in rancor collar for WS. I see people recommend love torque, but sadly thats out of my reach at the moment. If I knew someone selling one I would just buy it.

Lastly, I plan on working towards Moonshade earring, but Ive got quite a while to go on that. Can you guys give me anymore advice on what you would change? It would be nice if you could split the gear I have/am going to have into a TP and WS set with any upgrades you recommend.

Like I said, I'm just torn between whether to focus on DA/TA/QA (especially with ODD up) or haste. I usually sub sam, but bring war out every once in a while. I know I should probably know better by now, but I really wanna become the best drg I can. I want people to drool over my damage output. (I also plan on working on OAT, but thats a whole nother conversation and I don't want suggested gear for that yet, so please help gear for Rhong.) I would appreciate any advice.
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-07-10 20:19:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Haste. Get to 26% first and then do DA/TA/QA.

And now for the more educated posters to wander in.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-07-10 21:11:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Laffter said: »
Haste. Get to 25% first and then do DA/TA/QA.

26% is only worth it if you can get there without too much sacrifice to other stats. Off the AH get brego gloves, and get bullwhip belt from Ovni. As far as WS goes, that's going to depend on which WS you're talking about.
[+]
By ZerroTol 2012-07-10 21:30:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, meant to post which WS, I use Drakesbane 90% of the time. Also, I am guessing thats its worth the cost of losing the TA/QA on windbuffet for TPing if I can get a goading/twilight belt, but should I keep windbuffet for Drakes?

EDIT: completely ignored your remark about Bullwhip. So I should use bullwhip instead for TPing until I get twilight?
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-07-10 21:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

DRG isn't on Twilight Belt, hence Bullwhip.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-07-10 21:45:02
Link | Quote | Reply

You'll want Prosilio belt/Anguinus for drakesbane.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-10 21:50:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Phos?
 Siren.Fupafighters
Server: Siren
By Siren.Fupafighters 2012-07-10 21:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Also if you're taking drg seriously, merit stardiver. Drakesbane is pretty weak now unless you're in abyssea.
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-07-10 21:55:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »

Phos?
Other suggestions for 7%+ haste belts with DRG on them certainly would work too.
By ZerroTol 2012-07-10 22:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply

ah ok, never really looked at jobs on it. I just assumed drg could equip twilight belt sense almost all DD jobs can. (Should have known better) I'll get a bullwhip first chance I get then. Phos is a little out of my price range for the same amount of haste. I've also got stardiver meritted a bit, but I've never heard anyone say stardiver > Drakes. Most stuff I do is abby related though. My LS does emp farming runs twice a week.

Which of the two belts would you say is best, Prosilio belt or Anguinus belt?
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-07-10 22:46:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Prosilio unless you need acc, which you won't if you only do abyssea.
By ZerroTol 2012-07-11 04:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

bah...Just spent the past 4 hours camping Ovni. That flying ufo, piece of ***, really sucks>< We weren't able to proc blue cause it was always markmanship or hand to hand. Twice people came out of no where and stole it while we were waiting for piercing time. One guy pulled it at 5:40 in game time, just when we were about to. We even proced yellow so my friend could get +2 and it didnt drop a single +2 in all the fights we did, just augers body and the pup belt. Guess I'll try tomorrow and hopefully get my mnk friend to come.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-07-11 04:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bullwhip have a decent droprate even without proc so just keep trying :3
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2012-07-11 04:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

When you don't get a proc the first time, you can always flux the mob to lose hate and reset the proc. Even /THF was enough for me to finish 4 +2s off him.
By ZerroTol 2012-07-11 04:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. ill just keep trying. I didnt think about using the flux, which was right there anyways, so ill try that tomorrow. I dont really care about +2s, my friend just wanted them. Im only after bullwhip belt. The only one shown in bazaar on this site is selling for 800k, so i figured that is was probably a horrible drop without blue proc. I'm curious how many belt drops you saw while farming those 24 cards/stone though. Thanks for help!
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2012-07-11 04:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't trying to proc blue at all, so I'd say out of that night I spent killing Ovni as DNC/THF I probably saw 3-5 belts drop.

The drop rate on it isn't all THAT great, but if you make sure to combine some th (you could simply ask your friend to /thf) to blue proc it becomes near certain.

Also, lol @ belt for sale at 800k xD
By ZerroTol 2012-07-11 14:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still looking for a neck replacement for TPing atm. Also, I was thinking of getting Blitz ring to give me the last bit of haste I need without much sacrifice and then I just need to find a ring to macro in for WSing. I dont really have 2.6 mil to spend on Pyrosoul atm, so is there any other ring I should look at? I'm also thinking of working on a Rose Strap, if I /sam will that give me enough for a 6-hit with the following TP set.

This is the TP set I should have by the end of this week:

Thanks for the help.
 Ragnarok.Kyoshin
Server: Ragnarok
user: HaseAkira
By Ragnarok.Kyoshin 2012-07-13 10:17:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Zerro, you already have a 6-hit on /SAM in that gear without a Rose Strap. Even if you were to WS in 0 Store TP (somehow removing /SAM too for it) you'd get 100 TP. That's 16 Store TP, and you get 15 from gear, so 31 total. 492 delay is 13.3 TP per hit base.

13.3 * 1.31 = 17.4

17.4 * 5 = 87.1

87 + 13 = 100. So a tiny overflow regularly, but you certainly safe to WS in just about anything that makes sense.

Since you've got plenty of Abyssea stuff there, I'll recommend looking into an Agasaya's Collar from the T2 VNM in Abyssea - Attohwa. There are other options to examine too, like Rancor Collar, but those are up to you.

With earrings--the NQ Ghillie Earring is pretty cheaply found on the Auction House to replace your Kemas. You'll eventually want HQ sure, but those can be hard to find (on Ragnarok, at least).
[+]
By Ryufane 2012-07-13 15:36:59
Link | Quote | Reply

You could also probably get Hahava shouts going pretty easily for one of these.
By ZerroTol 2012-07-14 04:55:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the info Kyoshin. I actully already do have rancor collar for WSing. I posted it in one of my earlier sets. I just put lancers torque in for TPing.

It looks like I'll be picking up a NQ Ghillie earring later. Thought I had a suitable replace, but I guess drg cant equip it. I also think I found a possible ring to replace keen ring for the moment. I'm thinking of picking up Tyrant's ring.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2012-07-14 07:27:41
Link | Quote | Reply

DRG can't wear centaurus earring, so hidden effect or not, irrelevant.
 Siren.Lugado
user: lugado
By Siren.Lugado 2012-07-14 19:29:59
Link | Quote | Reply

is potestas bomblet a better ws piece than the thew bomblet for drakesbane,ct, and stardiver. I'm up in the air and randomly found one while doing random stuff in delks tower
By ZerroTol 2012-07-15 04:43:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Is the forum glitching up or something. I'm pretty sure Lugado's post was meant to be placed in the topic he created and Ophannus's post was meant to be placed in the H. fork topic.
 Siren.Lugado
user: lugado
By Siren.Lugado 2012-07-15 07:54:05
Link | Quote | Reply

yes it was suppose to be in my topic I was attempting to reword my question ended up showing my original question as "deleted by poster" and threw the rewording here, strange
By Ophannus 2012-07-15 12:10:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Woops, sorry was a 2am post, didn't read the OP and thought it was a generic gear advice thread
 Leviathan.Frotaut
Server: Leviathan
user: Frotaut2
By Leviathan.Frotaut 2012-07-18 01:50:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Randomly killing stuff in dynamis i obtained a Oneiros Lance off the arch in sandy anyone use this polearm? I am not a drg but have gear to gear it and stardiver 5/5 for sam wondering if this is a viable polearm for more than just fodder? If so any gearset suggestions for /sam or /war?
 Ragnarok.Haorhu
user: haorhu
By Ragnarok.Haorhu 2012-07-25 09:46:33
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/264949 miss body legs and neck :( i want this set for tp. still miss 3% haste have to look wich hands can interest
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
Server: Bismarck
user: xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2012-08-09 08:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

TP set Here

Ok so i finally decided to actually play this job with what i already had laying around and just curious what can be improved on -- (not many drg on our server really)

I will not have Phorcys period at any point ive come to that realization since nobody invites or they want sch or some other excuse anyhow thanks~
 Bahamut.Colonelace
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-08-09 09:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

if they need a sch and ur would like the gear just lvl sch its not that hard and for most part you dont have much to do other then embrava and keep ppl hasted and not let em die. its 2 sch splitting the load, I lvled sch just for nyzul and im 5/5 phorcy 5/5 nares 1/5 thaumas. sometimes the sacrifice put in is worth the payoff
First Page 2