Thief's Knife
First Page 2
 Quetzalcoatl.Sithel
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Wildman33
By Quetzalcoatl.Sithel 2012-07-02 16:32:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure if this was ever talked about, but do you think SE would ever consider added a quest to the Thief's Knife? They could could even keep the +1 TH, but just add a quest that would increase the damage output of the dagger. Or is it well known that all you have to do is proc TH then can unequip all TH gears? I dunno it was just a thought. Being 99 and having an off hand lvl 70 dagger with crap base damage, I just thought it would be cool if they had a quest to better that knife.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2012-07-02 16:39:32
Link | Quote | Reply

No. Just stop using the dagger entirely and switch to a decent offhand UNLESS you are only there for TH. You do not even need to "proc" a th upgrade to stick TH on a mob. TH has severely diminishing returns and you are only gimping yourself by using the knife.
 Quetzalcoatl.Scwall
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Scwall 2012-07-02 16:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

AFAIK, it's well known that initial aggro determines which level TH will begin at. After that, ditch all the gear which enhances it and focus on damage.

Comparatively, I've had people argue that TH gear will increase the rate at which it procs. Either they've done a lot of rigorous testing or they're talking out of their ***. I go with the latter.

Kirana has a good point of ditching the dagger altogether. I've read kill speed alone, solo in Dynamis, will net more currency than a complete TH set with the dagger.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2012-07-02 16:54:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Scwall said: »
AFAIK, it's well known that initial aggro determines which level TH will begin at. After that, ditch all the gear which enhances it and focus on damage.

Comparatively, I've had people argue that TH gear will increase the rate at which it procs. Either they've done a lot of rigorous testing or they're talking out of their ***. I go with the latter.

Kirana has a good point of ditching the dagger altogether. I've read kill speed alone, solo in Dynamis, will net more currency than a complete TH set with the dagger.

This annoys me so much and I swear it's only quetz. I agree with the ditching as well except where you want the initial TH and are trying to stack it up afterwards
[+]
By Kooljack 2012-07-02 16:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

id like too say this is wrong. its quite easy too test. if you have all th gear on for initial hit(not proc) then take it all off, when you see th proc it will not be th8
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Scwall 2012-07-02 16:57:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Refer to my avatar.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Scwall 2012-07-02 16:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

The only time TH will reset is after a mob has become idle.
[+]
By Kooljack 2012-07-02 17:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

does all community really think that all th gear on on first hit means your procs will start at 8 ?... should i buy fraps too show how it doesnt work
By Kooljack 2012-07-02 17:03:16
Link | Quote | Reply

in all my testing of it; if you initial hit with th gear then take it off; when it procs it'l be at like 5.. noone else has seriously seen this?
 Bahamut.Slytribal
Server: Bahamut
user: Slykun
By Bahamut.Slytribal 2012-07-02 17:03:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Kooljack said: »
does all community really think that all th gear on on first hit means your procs will start at 8 ?... should i buy fraps too show how it doesnt work

I have done it hundreds of times. Had TH gear on, used boomerang to pull, switched out and hit. First proc was TH8. This has been done many, many times, and not just with me.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Scwall 2012-07-02 17:06:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I was beginning to think I needed to login and check it out to be sure. Dodged a bullet there.
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2012-07-02 17:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I just deactivated and didn't want to spend another $13 to prove a point. Thank you people.

Edit - And to make this post useful, like others have said, if you're in dyna solo don't bother using thief's knife. I'm sure STR thokcha or oynos or whatever else you might choose would win out in coin count.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2012-07-02 17:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

in all my testing of it; if you initial hit with th gear then take it off; when it procs it'l be at like 5.. noone else has seriously seen this?

Should probably delete this post cause it's wrong in all kinds of ways
[+]
 Sylph.Washburn
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2012-07-02 17:18:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Dova said: »

He probably has +1 af3 feet and nq af2 hands
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2012-07-02 17:20:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Washburn said: »

My mistake I didn't think about that and take back what I said :(
 Bahamut.Slytribal
Server: Bahamut
user: Slykun
By Bahamut.Slytribal 2012-07-02 17:21:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Washburn said: »

My mistake I didn't think about that and take back what I said :(

Would still make TH6 first proc, he must only have gloves or feet O:
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Server: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2012-07-02 17:30:58
Link | Quote | Reply

who cares? THF is for TH
other real DD will pick up your slack
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Scwall 2012-07-02 18:16:46
Link | Quote | Reply

No offense to Kooljack for not knowing.

But if I was wrong about TH, I'd be pretty embarrassed wasting all that time camping rogberry ...finding the unofficial origin of the word "dorp"
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2012-07-03 02:31:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Sithel said: »
I'm not sure if this was ever talked about, but do you think SE would ever consider added a quest to the Thief's Knife? They could could even keep the +1 TH, but just add a quest that would increase the damage output of the dagger.

Only point where i would equip a Quest-enhanced TH Knife would be.. if they add like hmm lets see..
> 11 Str
> and maybe hmm 22 Attack
> and oh not to forget like 20 Base DMG
and make it an Magian Trial where you just need to use your lv99 Magian Weapon and trade a TH knife to the box next to the moogle and be done lol :)
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-07-03 02:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The only time TH will reset is after a mob has become idle.

And ADL after it splits :<
 Siren.Vanian
Server: Siren
By Siren.Vanian 2012-07-04 07:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, I would LOVE you to buy fraps and prove us all wrong
By Otomis 2012-07-04 08:30:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Xenhas said: »
who cares? THF is for TH
other real DD will pick up your slack

<--- Max TH thf, the only reason I play the job is to proc TH not be ultimate DD...Hate'n is bad M-kay!
 Shiva.Steo
Server: Shiva
user: Steo
By Shiva.Steo 2012-07-04 09:05:11
Link | Quote | Reply

id like too say this is wrong. its quite easy too test. if you have all th gear on for initial hit(not proc) then take it all off, when you see th proc it will not be th8

Very easy to test:
Pull Macro
/equip Assassin's Armlets +2
/equip Raiders Poulaines +2
/ra <t> <wait 4>
/equip Raider's Armlets +2
/equip Assassin's Poulaines +2

Engage mob

1st Proc- Th8

Yup, your wrong.
 Bismarck.Tragedie
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2012-07-04 09:30:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mindi said: »
Only point where i would equip a Quest-enhanced TH Knife would be.. if they add like hmm lets see..
> 11 Str
> and maybe hmm 22 Attack
> and oh not to forget like 20 Base DMG
and make it an Magian Trial where you just need to use your lv99 Magian Weapon and trade a TH knife to the box next to the moogle and be done lol :)

This, and then I would get another Thief's Knife and still swap out for the first hit (starting with TH Placebo level 8).

(Unless they made the new knife with the same name as the old one so you couldn't have two in your inventory.)
 Sylph.Malphius
user: Malphius
By Sylph.Malphius 2012-07-04 09:45:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to see a quest where after you hit lv 99 on THF you can then go and get your Thief's Knife augmented with additional base DMG and stats.

This method would let low lv thief's still use the dagger w/o being able to take advantage of the higher lv stats on it. It would also not force the dev's to introduce a new Thieves Knife and would maintain the awesome sense of balance we've all come to know and love.
 Odin.Frescora
Server: Odin
user: Frescora
By Odin.Frescora 2012-07-04 09:52:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Steo said: »

Very easy to test:
Pull Macro
/equip Assassin's Armlets +2
/equip Raiders Poulaines +2
/ra <t> <wait 4>
/equip Raider's Armlets +2
/equip Assassin's Poulaines +2

Engage mob

1st Proc- Th8

Yup, your wrong.
This is assuming your ranged attack hit the mob, right? Or doesn't it matter if your ranged attack misses?
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-07-04 10:06:29
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't matter if your ranged attack misses; your initial level of TH will be set no matter what you do to the target.
 Odin.Frescora
Server: Odin
user: Frescora
By Odin.Frescora 2012-07-04 10:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
It doesn't matter if your ranged attack misses; your initial level of TH will be set no matter what you do to the target.
I didn't know that a missed ranged attack would still proc. Does this include Bully also?
 Bismarck.Baalthus
Server: Bismarck
user: Baalthus
By Bismarck.Baalthus 2012-07-04 10:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

All sorts of actions that would claim the mob, initialize the TH level.
 Shiva.Pheare
Server: Shiva
user: pheared
By Shiva.Pheare 2012-07-04 12:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

did a quick video to hopefully put a rest to the debate.

used a lower resolution so you could see chat log easier.
[+]
First Page 2