Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Ragnarok vs OAT
Ragnarok vs OAT
First Page 2 3 4
 Cerberus.Sigurd
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Sigurd 2012-06-28 13:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Just coming back to the game and I've read through as many threads as I can. I have a general understanding that the best Great Sword options for DRK atm are OAT and Ragnarok (i guess 99 caladbolg may enter the conversation but I'm not interested in that cost).

Assuming Ragnarok has an edge over OAT, how big is this difference? I'm just debating wether or not to spend significant time on Ragnarok when I can dedicate much less time to OAT, get similar results, and spend the rest of my time on something else for one of other jobs or maybe Apoc.
By GraddHelian 2012-06-28 14:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Apoc sucks, make Rag and be happy.
[+]
 Shiva.Aisuu
Server: Shiva
user: aisukage
By Shiva.Aisuu 2012-06-28 14:18:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Apoc does not suck. Sure if your looking for the greatest damage output in zerg type fights where you ae buffed like crazy rag will destroy alot of other weapons.
[+]
 Fenrir.Thandar
Server: Fenrir
user: Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2012-06-28 14:19:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Not an answer to his question.
[+]
By GraddHelian 2012-06-28 14:25:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know if its changed since I quit but, last I checked using an inferior weapon and purposely doing less damage with it was considered pretty gimp. To me its a DDs job to push out as much damage as physically possible.

Chosing Apoc over Rag isnt going to make the game any more funner, unless doing less damage is fun? Other DDs don't need Catastrophe to stay alive and do just fine so neither should DRK.

OAT is pretty great, I think comparable to 90 Caladbolg? Other than that if your looking to get the most out of DRK Rag will not let you down in the very least.
[+]
 Shiva.Aisuu
By Shiva.Aisuu 2012-06-28 14:30:37
Link | Quote | Reply

if he wants to dedicate his time on something else that he will have more fun with then he should. OAT is still an amazing GS to be using, having rag is better of course but not enougth to make if he will have more fun with another relic.
By GraddHelian 2012-06-28 14:37:38
Link | Quote | Reply

K, guess I should start using: raven scythe sounds pretty fun to me ._.
[+]
 Cerberus.Sigurd
By Cerberus.Sigurd 2012-06-28 14:40:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah Apoc is a consideration mores due to the fact that I hear its very nice to have for lowman situations while still maintaining good damage, although not comparable to Ragnarok in that department. Basically, situational use.

In any case, I'm looking mostly at ragnarok vs. OAT to get a look at just how wide the damage cap is between them. Based on that, ill seek out apoc or other stuff
[+]
 Cerberus.Taint
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-06-28 14:40:19
Link | Quote | Reply

GraddHelian said: »
I don't know if its changed since I quit but, last I checked using an inferior weapon and purposely doing less damage with it was considered pretty gimp. To me its a DDs job to push out as much damage as physically possible.

Chosing Apoc over Rag isnt going to make the game any more funner, unless doing less damage is fun? Other DDs don't need Catastrophe to stay alive and do just fine so neither should DRK.

OAT is pretty great, I think comparable to 90 Caladbolg? Other than that if your looking to get the most out of DRK Rag will not let you down in the very least.

I'm not sure when you left but it wasn't until Neo Nyzul gear that Rag pulled way ahead of Apoc. And if you are looking for max damage you shouldn't be on DRK in the first place so that argument is pretty weak.
[+]
 Shiva.Aisuu
By Shiva.Aisuu 2012-06-28 14:41:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't get me wrong doing more dmg is definatly nice but like i said i have alot more fun with my apoc when i have to solo something. With apoc ive been able to solo alot more then i was able to without the need of temps, you are only thinking of events like VW where you are buffed and have fanatics and whms where apoc is pointless. The game is not solely made on those events though. I've allways wanted an apoc just because it was a big golden scythe i wanted to swing around and looked fun. It may be inferior dmg wise yes but more self sustaining when needed while still doing amazing damage, making it a very good situational weapon.
By GraddHelian 2012-06-28 14:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Taint said: »

I'm not sure when you left but it wasn't until Neo Nyzul gear that Rag pulled way ahead of Apoc. And if you are looking for max damage you shouldn't be on DRK in the first place so that argument is pretty weak.

So me quitting means im not allowed to keep up with whats going on in the game? K.

I don't see how it makes it an invalid argument in the very least, the point of any job is to push out as much damage as physically possible, whether your on DRK or not.

I seriously hope your not trying to say Catastrophe makes Apoc great, because that argument hasn't worked since the 75 Cap ended.
[+]
 Cerberus.Taint
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-06-28 14:45:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Sigurd said: »
Yeah Apoc is a consideration mores due to the fact that I hear its very nice to have for lowman situations while still maintaining good damage, although not comparable to Ragnarok in that department. Basically, situational use.

In any case, I'm looking mostly at ragnarok vs. OAT to get a look at just how wide the damage cap is between them. Based on that, ill seek out apoc or other stuff

I have Apoc and Rag. I find myself using Apoc in DRK friendly situations. (neo nyzul, neo limbus, old content) On harder content like Legion, Watcher etc I use Rag but on WAR.
 Asura.Fondue
Server: Asura
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2012-06-28 14:53:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
So me quitting means im not allowed to keep up with whats going on in the game? K.

thank god youre still around to continue shitting up threads with irrelevant opinions
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2012-06-28 14:54:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see how it makes it an invalid argument in the very least, the point of any job is to push out as much damage as physically possible, whether your on DRK or not.

I seriously hope your not trying to say Catastrophe makes Apoc great, because that argument hasn't worked since the 75 Cap ended.

I think the idea is that IF you're going to pour as much into it as it takes making a Ragnarok, you should go the extra mile and put for another 5% of effort to LVL WAR cause WAR w/rag > DRK w/rag. I mean if you're going to make the argument I shouldn't make an Apoc cause it's not as good as a Rag then you should just bury DRK as well cause it's not as good as a WAR.
[+]
 Valefor.Philemon
Server: Valefor
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2012-06-28 14:54:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Is anybody going to answer the question of Ragnarok vs. OAT? I'm curious to know what people think.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2012-06-28 14:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a rather silly question.... of course Ragnarok > OAT.
[+]
By GraddHelian 2012-06-28 14:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Fondue said: »
Quote:

thank god youre still around to continue shitting up threads with irrelevant opinions

I don't think ive ever started shitting up threads, specifically the DRK threads. I don't post anywhere near as much as I used too but pretty sure next to Taint (I respect Taint hes a great player) I was one of the more informative DRK posters on here.
[+]
 Cerberus.Sigurd
By Cerberus.Sigurd 2012-06-28 14:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

What about the OAT? I'd agree that the versatility that Apoc gives the job is unmatched, specially in the lowman situations you described which is the type of content I'd spend most of my time on. So if i decided to take on a relic, I may lean more towards that option.

But I'd also like to have a high damage option for my DRK for versatility's sake and for playing around with resolution. For this case, i guess ill take the OAT since it seems rather easy to complete (I've heard krabkatoa is relatively easy to solo/duo). If I decide to take a relic for DRK, Apoc would make more sense. If I ever take up Ragnarok I understand its in better hands with a WAR.

That being said, how much better is Ragnarok over OAT in pure DD DRK situations? (for curiosity's sake at this point)?
 Cerberus.Sigurd
By Cerberus.Sigurd 2012-06-28 15:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
It's a rather silly question.... of course Ragnarok > OAT.

I realize Rag > OAT. Just wondering if the difference is worthwhile vs. effort put into getting it if you are doing it for just DRK.
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2012-06-28 15:06:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Rag is The Best GS you can make.

Effort wise, it will take you longer than OaT, but given the fact it will prove far more reliable and compatible to varying scenarios (high/low buffs where Acc and such will matter more/less), added to the fact you can use it on WAR for zerg situations, should be enough of a reason to simply focus on it instead of working on the OaT and then finding yourself unsatisfied and deciding to make a Rag later on.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-06-28 15:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Make both! OaT takes a few days to make at most. The bulk of your time will be on the timed NM trials. After that its a cake walk. The OaT is great to use until you finish your Rag!

Not sure why people say you'll be unsatisfied with it. It's a good GS to keep you satisfied until Rag. And its definitely better than Calad. You can't make Rag in a weekend. You can make an OaT in a weekend.
[+]
 Fenrir.Leoheart
Server: Fenrir
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2012-06-28 15:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Trust me OP, Ragnarok is what dreams are made of <3
[+]
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-06-28 15:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
You can't make Rag in a weekend. You can make an OaT in a weekend.
I've seen people selling those crab pops for cheap, too (like 100k each).
[+]
By Elizabet 2012-06-28 15:27:05
Link | Quote | Reply

But the question is still:

is it:
Case 1: Rag > OAT
or
Case 2: Rag >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> OAT

I think his question is more: I'm building a Rag AND an Apoc, AND an OAT gs... Wich one should I finish first. (OAT being obvious, the 2nd one though....)
 Bismarck.Hsieh
Server: Bismarck
user: Hsieh
By Bismarck.Hsieh 2012-06-28 15:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm trying to understand what the question being asked is. If cost is an issue, then build the OAT first. Yes, it's worth having. If you decide it's insufficient and rather invest something better, go for Ragnarok.

There's other threads that show numbers and comparisons. Usually not just a comparison between these two weapons, but over a wide variety of weapons Dark Knight uses. Quite frankly, Dark Knight is just a fun DD job, it usually isn't the highest damaging DD job and I don't see SE making changes to that.

I like to point out the fact although Apocalypse does lower damage, I found it really useful in Neo-Nyzul the other day soloing NMs where healing may be limited or needed on other jobs. It has it's uses. I am in the process of upgrading a Ragnarok. Some people have fun in various ways. Also the upcoming expansion is releasing two jobs and relics/mythics/emrpyeans may be added for them to use. Don't bash a weapon simply because it's what "all the cool kids" do. Times change constantly for FFXI.

And lastly Ragnarok looks ugly compared to a huge Gold archaic scythe. Wouldn't you want to go around town with a huge gold weapon on your back? (Yes, I know it doesn't make Apoc better)
[+]
 Cerberus.Sigurd
By Cerberus.Sigurd 2012-06-28 15:54:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Elizabet said: »
But the question is still:

is it:
Case 1: Rag > OAT
or
Case 2: Rag >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> OAT

I think his question is more: I'm building a Rag AND an Apoc, AND an OAT gs... Wich one should I finish first. (OAT being obvious, the 2nd one though....)

Well yes, the question is basically, knowing full well ragnarok is better, just by how wide a margin.

Im not taking on all 3 weapons though (I wish i had that time/gil :P )
 Ragnarok.Agerknux
user: Ager
By Ragnarok.Agerknux 2012-06-28 16:07:21
Link | Quote | Reply

You'll see a decent increase in WS damage, huge increase in DoT and the extra acc. I am too lazy to quantify it.

WS Wise, assuming equal WSC and capped attack and fStr and all hits land. Comparing 99OAT vs 95 Rag will see an average of 320 damage increase on Resolution @100%.

DoT will see a huge leap.

Now to figure out if its worth the time? If you're no where close to finishing Rag, then OaT is a great.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-06-28 16:10:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Fondue said: »
Quote:

hows that buyer's remorse?
[+]
 Cerberus.Detzu
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-06-28 16:20:17
Link | Quote | Reply

You wanna play DRK cause you like this job right? Do both Apoc and rag you won't regret anything. If you like only raw dmg go for rag but leave drk and play war. You don't like war? Quit the game.
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2012-06-28 16:28:26
Link | Quote | Reply

And if you are looking for max damage you shouldn't be on DRK in the first place so that argument is pretty weak.

hmmm...
First Page 2 3 4