Dark Knight TP gear as the game stands now
First Page 2
 Remora.Morphius
Server: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Morphius
By Remora.Morphius 2012-05-01 06:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello all! I am a long time away from the game. I am curious what the game is like compared to how it was a few years ago (I left in January of 2010).

What kind of gear stats and bonuses does a dark knight, or any DD for that matter, want to gain TP in? I assume it's still objective towards what you are doing, but is it even more so with the increased level cap, new spells and abilities, and Abyssea?

6 hit - DRK/xxx

5 hit - DRK/SAM

I made these sets just as a test. Would you want these in Abyssea, out of Abyssea, both, no where? etc... (more dex, crit, less acc, more acc, 5 hit /war... you know..)

Thanks, and go DRK!
By volkom 2012-05-01 07:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

i don't play anymore but I would think you would want to gear towards being able to do legion/voidwatch effectively. so something with a good x-hit,capped haste and acc/attk with possibly some double/triple/quadruple attack items as an added bonus
 Shiva.Galbir
Server: Shiva
user: galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-05-01 07:30:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Most Drks use a Gsword at this point. Some good sets for that can be found here.
 Ragnarok.Unctgtg
Server: Ragnarok
user: Dbill
By Ragnarok.Unctgtg 2012-05-01 08:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

There are most drks then they are Apoc drks ;) But yes I do agree most use GS.
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-05-01 10:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

TP

AM

WS

Without Apoc you obviously don't need the AM set.

As stated you should be using a Great Sword.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-05-01 10:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Who let you have mala D:

SOMEONE WITH DRK IS POSTING MALA IN GEARSETS!!!! I WANT MY MALA NOW SINCE DRKS ARE ALLOWED FOR THEM TO DROP APPARENTLY D:
[+]
 Shiva.Alistrianna
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Alistrianna 2012-05-01 11:29:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Does shadow breastplate with triple attack +2% and an accuracy augment still edge out other options for TP? Mainly curious as everyone only mentions HQ versions for Adaman/Shadow.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-05-01 11:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
Who let you have mala D: SOMEONE WITH DRK IS POSTING MALA IN GEARSETS!!!! I WANT MY MALA NOW SINCE DRKS ARE ALLOWED FOR THEM TO DROP APPARENTLY D:

No. You are doomed to your fate of getting "Ganesha's Ma............sk" for the rest of time. Jus like the rest of us poor sods.
[+]
 Odin.Bootykilla
Server: Odin
By Odin.Bootykilla 2012-05-01 11:45:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Taint said: »
TP

AM

WS

Without Apoc you obviously don't need the AM set.

Any sets w/o Flr100 gear possible?
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-05-01 12:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Alistrianna said: »
Does shadow breastplate with triple attack +2% and an accuracy augment still edge out other options for TP? Mainly curious as everyone only mentions HQ versions for Adaman/Shadow.

I think it's more because of the higher cap. The average drk isn't going to invest the gil/time into getting the abjuration/tatters to get the mods that they want (it took me ~160 tatters to get 6stp 2da on armada and if i bought them all thats 50k/ea on Ragnarok). The abj was selling for about 1-5m last time i looked. I wouldn't invest that kind of time and money into a NQ piece personally.

That being said: If you magically acquired a NQ body for free and poofed perfect nq stats in 1-3 synths for giggles.... have at it.

Odin.Bootykilla said: »
Any sets w/o Flr100 gear possible?

Cala tp (6-hit)

Torcleaver

Reso

I've gotten lazy and havent updated my ffxiah sets lately. These should be able to be adjusted with relative ease to suit your needs (swap in diff stp or aurum or whatever your gear has). If i recall I made the sets to 6-hit off of a clean torcleaver or a 4-hit min resolution.... *scratches head* i dunno its a start for you

*edit* 6hit was based off 430 delay. Adj accordingly
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-05-01 12:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ignore those and use these off of my mule:

Made these for a friend who came back to game for a week or two and wanted easy to get gear (excluding mala obv- mala could be bale choker).
 Ragnarok.Unctgtg
user: Dbill
By Ragnarok.Unctgtg 2012-05-01 12:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ash you aren't allowed to say u have an apoc until its 99 ;) stage 2
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-05-01 13:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't say apoc anywhere in this thread ;3
 Remora.Morphius
By Remora.Morphius 2012-05-01 15:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Super comments, I hadn't seen any basic TP threads done in Dark Knight forum anyhow. At least one that is anywhere up to date. More ideas?

So Great Sword > Scythe in all instances now unless you have a Relic/Mystic/Emperean? (Or is that just Relic and Emperean lol) But then what about Relic/Mystic/Emperean Great Swords? are those > comparable Scythes? I know Apocolypse is just plain win that thing has always had great utility, but from a DD sense, to make it perfectly clear... any non R/M/E Scythe < non R/M/E Great Sword period (or at least 90% of the time)?
So my question is how did that happen exactly? Is it the gameplay change or something simpler? Are the GtS just better stat wise at current? Better new weaponskills? etc etc...

Also from what I am seeing, Basic TP gain hasn't really changed? Or am I wrong at least in Abyssea? Moar DA/TA/QA, moar Crit ***! wut?

----

On a seperate note, will 19.30 TP give you a 5 hit build every round or just some of the rounds? At this point I'll have to assume there are STP atmas or you expect to have STP buffs or something?_? I'm looking at a certain set posted.
 Ragnarok.Returner
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2012-05-01 16:08:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Re
Remora.Morphius said: »
Super comments, I hadn't seen any basic TP threads done in Dark Knight forum anyhow. At least one that is anywhere up to date. More ideas? So Great Sword > Scythe in all instances now unless you have a Relic/Mystic/Emperean? (Or is that just Relic and Emperean lol) But then what about Relic/Mystic/Emperean Great Swords? are those > comparable Scythes? I know Apocolypse is just plain win that thing has always had great utility, but from a DD sense, to make it perfectly clear... any non R/M/E Scythe < non R/M/E Great Sword period (or at least 90% of the time)? So my question is how did that happen exactly? Is it the gameplay change or something simpler? Are the GtS just better stat wise at current? Better new weaponskills? etc etc... Also from what I am seeing, Basic TP gain hasn't really changed? Or am I wrong at least in Abyssea? Moar DA/TA/QA, moar Crit ***! wut? ---- On a seperate note, will 19.30 TP give you a 5 hit build every round or just some of the rounds? At this point I'll have to assume there are STP atmas or you expect to have STP buffs or something?_? I'm looking at a certain set posted.

One word to sum it up:

Resolution
 Remora.Morphius
By Remora.Morphius 2012-05-01 16:14:43
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what I made for the OP, First set. These are the DD stats for that set.
6 hit - DRK/xxx
145.5 ATT (+STR, Skill)
61.5 ACC (+DEX, Skill)
23 STR
25 DEX
25% Haste
18% Double Attack
4% Critical Hit Rate
17 Store TP
5 Great Sword Skill
7 Scythe Skill
-5 Physical Damage
1/tick Refresh
??% Attack occ. varies with HP (3 pieces)
(From Scythe: DMG147, DLY528(7hit/+17STP 6hit), +5.25ATT, +7STR, Increases Crit Hit DMG)

So Dark Knights, more or less of what... Both outside and inside Abyssea? Remember, this isn't my gear set I just made this for posting. For anyone that has been playing since at least 2008/2009 I am very interested in what you have to say about how TP has changed since then, and in what ways TP differ from outside and inside Abyssea.
 Remora.Morphius
By Remora.Morphius 2012-05-01 16:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Returner said: »
Re
Super comments, I hadn't seen any basic TP threads done in Dark Knight forum anyhow. At least one that is anywhere up to date. More ideas? So Great Sword > Scythe in all instances now unless you have a Relic/Mystic/Emperean? (Or is that just Relic and Emperean lol) But then what about Relic/Mystic/Emperean Great Swords? are those > comparable Scythes? I know Apocolypse is just plain win that thing has always had great utility, but from a DD sense, to make it perfectly clear... any non R/M/E Scythe < non R/M/E Great Sword period (or at least 90% of the time)? So my question is how did that happen exactly? Is it the gameplay change or something simpler? Are the GtS just better stat wise at current? Better new weaponskills? etc etc... Also from what I am seeing, Basic TP gain hasn't really changed? Or am I wrong at least in Abyssea? Moar DA/TA/QA, moar Crit ***! wut? ---- On a seperate note, will 19.30 TP give you a 5 hit build every round or just some of the rounds? At this point I'll have to assume there are STP atmas or you expect to have STP buffs or something?_? I'm looking at a certain set posted.

One word to sum it up:

Resolution

Description: Delivers a fivefold attack. Damage varies with TP.
In order to obtain Resolution, the quest Martial Mastery must be completed.
This Weapon Skill's first hit fTP is duplicated for all additional hits.
Resolution has an attack penalty of -8%.
Modifiers: STR 20~100%, depending on merit points ugrades.
100%TP 200%TP 300%TP
0.71875 0.84375 0.96875

Oh.

How do the Relic/Empy Scythe weaponskills stack up to this Resolution, especially with a Lv90-99 Scythe? I assume Relic/Empy Great Sword WS > Aftermath > Resolution > Resolution > Resolution... is that right?

Also, what will 19.30TP return do for you?
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-05-01 16:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Scourge should never be used.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Generic
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Generic 2012-05-01 16:50:00
Link | Quote | Reply

SIGH
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2012-05-01 16:51:56
Link | Quote | Reply

With empy greatsword you should aftermath, but empy greatsword is hardly worth making at this point. With relic greatsword you shouldn't aftermath and just spam resolution.
As far as stats go, completely depends on what you are doing. In lower tiered VW you can completely ignore Acc/Atk and mostly ignore STP, you can also drop a ton of haste. In higher tiered VW you need to really pay attention to your Acc/Atk, still can ignore STP and drop a ton of haste. In Nyzul Isle you don't need accuracy, but will need attack (at least for bosses), most of your damage in nyzul comes from WSing and STP/Haste are severly devalued because of Embrava. As far as abyssea and legion go, someone else can cover that as I never did legion and never used Drk in abyssea.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2012-05-01 17:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
With empy greatsword you should aftermath, but empy greatsword is hardly worth making at this point. With relic greatsword you shouldn't aftermath and just spam resolution.
As far as stats go, completely depends on what you are doing. In lower tiered VW you can completely ignore Acc/Atk and mostly ignore STP, you can also drop a ton of haste. In higher tiered VW you need to really pay attention to your Acc/Atk, still can ignore STP and drop a ton of haste. In Nyzul Isle you don't need accuracy, but will need attack (at least for bosses), most of your damage in nyzul comes from WSing and STP/Haste are severly devalued because of Embrava. As far as abyssea and legion go, someone else can cover that as I never did legion and never used Drk in abyssea.
Embrava actually would increase the value of haste, unless you are going over the -80% delay cap.
 Phoenix.Urteil
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-05-01 17:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Mitosis
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: xMitosisx
By Quetzalcoatl.Mitosis 2012-05-01 17:35:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Generic said: »
SIGH
He was trollin' obv
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-05-01 17:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

SIGH

You again lol....
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2012-05-01 17:43:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said: »
Embrava actually would increase the value of haste, unless you are going over the -80% delay cap.
Which you should be unless you aren't getting haste, which I'll admit is a possibility because groups generally split up.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2012-05-01 17:49:40
Link | Quote | Reply

SIGH
Are you implying that scourge should be used? If so, kindly get out.
[+]
 Remora.Morphius
By Remora.Morphius 2012-05-01 17:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I read your Critical hit rate is pretty much capped in Abyssea, would there be any need to use Scourge? I'm assuming Resolution is really just that darn good. Also.. is Abyssea the only place where that is true? I Read things like fSTR is also capped.

How about outside Abyssea? From what I remember reading about the aftermath effect it is a really substantial increase to critical hit rate. Is the difference between Scourge and Resolution DMG output really large enough to say no to say... idk... 2 full rounds of crits? (in and out of Aby)
 Phoenix.Dramatica
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2012-05-01 17:51:52
Link | Quote | Reply

There is never a reason to use scourge outside of the trials. WS is completely and utterly worthless, as is the aftermath.
 Remora.Morphius
By Remora.Morphius 2012-05-01 18:21:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dramatica said: »
There is never a reason to use scourge outside of the trials. WS is completely and utterly worthless, as is the aftermath.
Bummer.

--------
Phoenix.Kirana said: »
Which you should be unless you aren't getting haste, which I'll admit is a possibility because groups generally split up.
Go ahead someone else :D

--------
How do the Relic/Empy Scythe weaponskills stack up to this Resolution, especially with a Lv90-99 Scythe? check. tnx Nightfyre.
Also, what will 19.30TP return do for you?

This is what I made for the OP, First set. These are the DD stats for that set.
So Dark Knights, more or less of what... Both outside and inside Abyssea? For anyone that has been playing since at least 2008/2009 I am very interested in what you have to say about how TP has changed since then, and in what ways TP differ from outside and inside Abyssea.
I could have actually put this thread in "General" but I really loved playing Dark Knight and it was my only real DD job. I got 75DRG right before I quit... actually I de-lvled to 74DRG right before I quit /trollface.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-05-01 18:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Mitosis said: »
SIGH
He was trollin' obv
Not so obvious with him really.

Assuming you mean Generic anyway, if you meant Taint then I don't even.

Perpetuance Haste lasts a good while. SCHs should be making a point of refreshing it towards the end of duration when you floor up along with their Accession Enspell cycle. No excuse not to have full buffs for 99%+ of the run, especially when time is precious.

How about outside Abyssea? From what I remember reading about the aftermath effect it is a really substantial increase to critical hit rate. Is the difference between Scourge and Resolution DMG output really large enough to say no to say... idk... 2 full rounds of crits? (in and out of Aby)
People were eyeballing, Scourge's aftermath is only 5% critrate. You could maybe, maybe make a case for using it to finish off something at low HP if there's another monster nearby but just outside WS range. Other than that and obviously while completing Ragnarok trials, it's utterly useless.

How do the Relic/Empy Scythe weaponskills stack up to this Resolution, especially with a Lv90-99 Scythe?
Resolution is easily DRK's best weaponskill at the moment. Entropy is strong enough to make Liberator a contender with OA2-3 AM3, but at substantially higher cost. Cata does significantly less damage, but haste and drain effects offer some benefit. Empy scythe is junk.
First Page 2