Voidwatch JP Shouts/Yells
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Bahamut.Vagrua
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Vagrua
By Bahamut.Vagrua 2012-04-23 04:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I see many JPs join English groups. The proc system seems simple enough using the auto-translate function. I've been in a few JP parties that mainly use the autotranslate function along with proc #s 1, 3, and 5. I think many more English players would join JP shouts if they knew what they were shouting for. Some JPs put the NM name into their shouts while others like these:

[04:30:45] Tarmi : VWコンシュ カヒライス8戦いきませんか〜? 3/18
[04:31:21] Phoenix.Tigga[Lower Jeuno] : VWロンフォカブト6戦 追加募集:戦吟さん 16/18です
[04:26:52] Odin.Yuuchi[Lower Jeuno] : VWチーリン2周行きませんか?サチコ参照で募集です14/18
[04:19:16] Ragnarok.Korutopi[Port Jeuno] : VW水晶龍いきます。サチコメのジョブのみ募集です。参加希望の方武器など添えてテルください。14/18
[04:06:42] Siren.Pleiades[Port Jeuno] : VWゼオルム インプ連戦いきます サチコ参照で、可能ジョブ添えてテルください 13/18

don't.

Are there symbols to identify certain NMs/paths other than by their English names that they use?
 Bahamut.Charlot
user: Kur
By Bahamut.Charlot 2012-04-23 05:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I find that most Japanese players who shout like this (most not all) don't want English players as they won't be using auto translate for the spells/jas/etc so any English speaking person wouldn't know what to proc unless they got the hint themselves. Whereas I know from my experience, if the shout is 1/2 English auto translate and 1/2 Japanese that they usually take either.

I have gotten in to the above type of shouts because the person I VW with is Japanese and we're always on vent so he tells me the procs.
[+]
 Bahamut.Vagrua
user: Vagrua
By Bahamut.Vagrua 2012-04-23 05:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I appreciate your thoughts Charlot, but if any JP/ENG ffxiaher has any knowledge to share; I'm all open ears. I would like to think that not all JPs are close-minded to working with others besides their own. I can imagine explaining VW to a new player to be frustrating for them, but most people that do VW probably have it down by now.
By Xenshi 2012-04-23 05:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sadly most JP players are closed minded and would rather fail than have a non JP to have to deal with. SE doesn't care that most of the JP/NA and EU player bases don't get along either. If you want to do VW, better off shouting during your servers NA/EU primetime and making your name known among the server that you do VW successfully, because 9/10 if you send a JP player a tell offering the job that they are shouting for and you are top notch at that job, you won't even get the respect of a response saying no thanks.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder 2012-04-23 05:44:18
Link | Quote | Reply

What Charlot said is right, usually JP players won't even reply to you if you don't speak Japanese, and any attempts with romanjii will also be ignored. It doesn't matter how easy you think it is, JPs generally do not want to deal with NA players, so if you see a shout in full JP, it usually means they want JP players. It's more because they can't really relay to you proper fight strategies and although you may know what to do, they may want to do something different, so outside of the poor auto translate, you'll only be able to understand weakness procs and most JP do not want the hassle of trying to explain this to the 1-2 or however many NAs.

They also don't know how well geared you are, what you have, etc. It's a LOT of things and it's more of a hassle to attempt auto translate, and yes most JPs know basic english, but it's not going to be enough probably to explain everything.

From what you listed, it's just names for the tiers and what monster they're fighting.

To answer your question about recognizing, if you learn katakana, it's mostly used for area names and monsters, so if you can understand that, you'll know what VW they're going for. Example:

Phoenix says:
VWロンフォ which is Ronfaure, and the dialogue after カブト is kabuto or helmet. I'd assume that's the Gigas, since he doesn't state east or west Ronfaure.

Pleiades says VWゼオルム インプ which is Zhaylom Imp, so that's easy to figure. Again, it's all katakana for zone and enemy names, when written out, that says Zeorumu Inpu, so just say it outloud and you'll figure what it is. Any characters that look extremely detailed is kanji, where as katakana is used to write foreign words, hence why its easy to read if you bother learning it. Hiragana is for the Japanese language. To make this easier, anytime you see VW so and so, translate that and you'll have your info.

I wish you luck, but you'd more than likely just want to do NA groups.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-04-23 05:55:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I know there tends to be a great deal of stigma working between language barriers, but VW is definitely one of the situations where it doesn't come down to close-mindedness, in my opinion.

You want to relay information as fast as possible for any of the more "difficult" fights. You could just use auto-translate of course, but when it comes down to it you're honestly just going to be typing out the procs as they show up -- several times when I've had JP members in the alliance, literally everyone would forget to auto-translate the proc for those members. Could you work around this? Of course. Is it ideal? Well, not exactly.

Honestly, if you aren't able to read the language well enough to intelligently ask to join the group, you should probably just sit out.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-04-23 05:58:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I can read kana so I usually understand what they're doing and pass the info to my ls, but the problem is that if you don't speak to them in japanese(and romaji isn't accepted)they just ignore you or tell you {I'm sorry}. A shame that there's no way to do things together.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-04-23 06:35:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Vagrua said: »

[04:30:45] Tarmi : VWコンシュ カヒライス8戦いきませんか〜? 3/18
[04:31:21] Phoenix.Tigga[Lower Jeuno] : VWロンフォカブト6戦 追加募集:戦吟さん 16/18です
[04:26:52] Odin.Yuuchi[Lower Jeuno] : VWチーリン2周行きませんか?サチコ参照で募集です14/18
[04:19:16] Ragnarok.Korutopi[Port Jeuno] : VW水晶龍いきます。サチコメのジョブのみ募集です。参加希望の方武器など添えてテルください。14/18
[04:06:42] Siren.Pleiades[Port Jeuno] : VWゼオルム インプ連戦いきます サチコ参照で、可能ジョブ添えてテルください 13/18

don't.

Are there symbols to identify certain NMs/paths other than by their English names that they use?

You need to be able to read Hirakana/Katakana, they just write the names in Hirakana/Katakana. But some mobs have their own nick names.

For example, Ig-alima, I've seen different ways of /shout, in Hirakana, Katakana and nick name.

いっぐありま(Ig-Alima written in Hirakana)
イグアリマ(Ig-Alima written in Katakana)
砂丘のデーモン(Nick name, means demon in the dunes)

Some NM have nick name, for example, when B.rex was out, JP ppl call them マツコ, but I rarely see ppl use that name to /shout anymore. Now they just call Rex ブブリムのプリン.

VW水晶龍 is another nick name example, it means crystal dragon, so that's Provenance watcher.

Also sometimes they tend to make the name shorter, Rex ブブリムのプリン can be written as ブブプリン.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Dragoncloud
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Dragoncloud 2012-04-23 06:50:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder said: »
To answer your question about recognizing, if you learn katakana, it's mostly used for area names and monsters, so if you can understand that, you'll know what VW they're going for. Example:

Phoenix says:
VWロンフォ which is Ronfaure, and the dialogue after カブト is kabuto or helmet. I'd assume that's the Gigas, since he doesn't state east or west Ronfaure.

In that case they are actually referring to Lancing Lamorak, カブト is actually short for カブトむし or Japanese for beetle.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-04-23 06:56:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Vagrua said: »
I appreciate your thoughts Charlot, but if any JP/ENG ffxiaher has any knowledge to share; I'm all open ears. I would like to think that not all JPs are close-minded to working with others besides their own. I can imagine explaining VW to a new player to be frustrating for them, but most people that do VW probably have it down by now.

There are certain strats for the run that may fail if one person doesn't understand JP, just saying. And the other way around as well....I've seen some NA shout pt with 1 JP failed just because that JP doesn't understand English properly. Honestly though, if you want to join JP pt you should be able to understand what they're saying first, that's why they /shout in their own language, so those who send /tell at least understands something.

I can read most of the JP /shout and JP procs, about 60%~70% of time I can get into their pt when I ask in auto-translate. So they don't always refuse NA players, but if there are multiple /tells, they will take JP players first.
 Shiva.Manini
Server: Shiva
user: Manini
By Shiva.Manini 2012-04-23 07:03:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't even bother, every time I try I always get the JP Only I'm Sorry, or Goodbye, better to shout in your own peak time.
[+]
 Siren.Fupafighters
Server: Siren
By Siren.Fupafighters 2012-04-23 07:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

What sucks is all the people that are usually on late night that are english. People should really start learning to use the auto translate function. If you're sending someone a tell for the first time. USE AUTO TRANSLATE. It drives japanese players and english people crazy when ya don't. Reason we have it, and is probably the biggest reason that we ignore each other half the time.
[+]
 Asura.Vrytreya
Server: Asura
user: VZX
By Asura.Vrytreya 2012-04-23 07:07:40
Link | Quote | Reply

For the first line, it's Cyhiraeth (カヒライス)
 Bahamut.Potorim
user: Potorim
By Bahamut.Potorim 2012-04-23 07:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Well i speak jp and always join their shouts/do my owns with them.
Can guarantee 100% its ways better than do it in NA time, and can say the reasons:
1 - most english players just dont care about the others, they join and leave without saying anything or giving heads up for u;
2 - not rare when u gatter a group and some big noob don't even know what to do or whata are u gonna do even if u explain it over and over
(for example provenance, lots of ppl join the shout, then when u get 18 ppl and go there 2-3 always can't enter and begin to ask where to go or why they can't enter, and i can say, that pisses off whoever is putting the group together);
3 - maybe because jps play longer and all, but usually u can get more and stronger ppl faster than english ;
4 - like other ppls said, they dont wanna have problems explaing strats and all.

I personally dont have anything against english players, theres ppl and "ppl", but i wont ever shout for provenance again after what happened last night, shouted for caturaes and ppl assumed i was gonna do dragon afterwards when i didnt said anything about it, when i said i was gonna see how the ally was and then decide if was gonna do dragon or not(and thats after like 1 hour shouting and them shouting like 3-5 times again cause ppl "didnt knew they could not enter") ppl freaked out and said i was using them...i mean really? anyone think that an ally that takes 15min to beat beguiling radiance have any chances against dragon? cmon...
[+]
 Siren.Fupafighters
By Siren.Fupafighters 2012-04-23 07:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

People do this to me all the time lol. I got toci's after over 200 kills and then after the run, I say I'm going to go, and immediately, I'm an *** for leaving lol. Same goes for most NMs, you cannot get mad at someone for leaving AFTER the run.
[+]
 Caitsith.Sai
Server: Caitsith
user: Saiii
By Caitsith.Sai 2012-04-23 07:27:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with the above poster who said JP would rather fail or not even go then to accept NA players.

I've been in NA groups who will take JP & just use auto to communicate procs, but have not been accepted to a JP shout ever.

Pretty much got to the point where I don't even respond to their shouts & will B-list them now for spamming up the log.
[+]
 Siren.Demetreos
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2012-04-23 07:49:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm English, don't read a word of Japanese and I've joined plenty JP groups that have gone without a issue. The only difficulty I found was trying to decipher the shout in the first place.

Xenshi said: »
Sadly most JP players are closed minded and would rather fail than have a non JP to have to deal with. SE doesn't care that most of the JP/NA and EU player bases don't get along either.

Oh the irony.

I know just as many stupid and ignorant EU/NA players as JP. I don't believe the divide is as big as people think. At least not on Siren.
[+]
 Leviathan.Yogurt
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Yogurt 2012-04-23 07:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I join JP vw shouts all the time, if I don't understand where they are going ill ask in auto trans [notorious monster] [area] [where?], you can copy and paste the shouts from the shout page into google translate but that usually does not help much. If they invite me ill ask them to auto translate hints, only one time did none bother to auto translate the hints. Maybe only once or twice did I not get a reply from a jp vw shout. its possible that they needed me for a job they were not getting any members on, and if im on whm those procs do not come up too often anyways. Well also I never dd in vw i could see where that would be an issue if no one auto translate weapon procs. its not to terribly difficult to see what the other blms are casting.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2012-04-23 07:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Demetreos said: »
I'm English, don't read a word of Japanese and I've joined plenty JP groups that have gone without a issue. The only difficulty I found was trying to decipher the shout in the first place.

Eh, maybe it varies a lot by server. 90% of the time on Phoenix you won't even get a response.
[+]
 Odin.Ladyrikku
Server: Odin
user: LadyRikku
By Odin.Ladyrikku 2012-04-23 08:01:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been in many JP runs, (though its mostly my JP LS leader shouting and inviting me to it.

Most ppl in the grp have no problems using auto-trans to me when the leader tells them I am an (outsider).

Its also good to know some basic kanji words like Black/White/Elements. Being part chinese I have some knowledge in kanji (its basicly chinese words) so I have not much problem reading those progs if they dont use auto-trans.
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2012-04-23 08:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Demetreos said: »

Xenshi said: »
Sadly most JP players are closed minded and would rather fail than have a non JP to have to deal with. SE doesn't care that most of the JP/NA and EU player bases don't get along either.

Oh the irony.

I know just as many stupid and ignorant EU/NA players as JP. I don't believe the divide is as big as people think. At least not on Siren.
I personally noticed more cases of NA players refuseing JPs then JP refusing NAs but that might just be me.
 Odin.Sawtelle
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-04-23 08:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/43890-Encyclopedia-of-FFXI-Japanese-Terminology?p=1504586&viewfull=1#post1504586

TRICK

ALL THE JPS
[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2012-04-23 08:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

ブブプリン just sounds too cute to be bot rex ; ;
 Odin.Hiruzen
user: Oskilfai
By Odin.Hiruzen 2012-04-23 08:50:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Just get Guildwork Premium and use the remote chat with Google Crome Browser. Then Google Crome will ask if you want to translate and you choose Japanese->english voala. You can see now what they are talking (even in PT).
 Asura.Vrytreya
user: VZX
By Asura.Vrytreya 2012-04-23 09:13:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Even the group arranger can speak English, it'll be troublesome for them to say everything twice in both English and Japanese. That's probably the reason why I want to either get full a JP group or get full a NA group.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2012-04-23 09:27:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the generalizations in this thread are pretty ridiculous.

I respond to JP shouts for Voidwatch fairly often. About 50% of the time, I get the standard "{English} {No thanks}" response, or just get flat-out ignored, and move on. C'est la vie. Can't blame a player if s/he doesn't want to type everything twice, in two languages.

However, the other 50% of the time, I find the JP shouter/leader is perfectly willing to work through the language barrier. If you want advice, I've learned that some JP players will respond VERY positively towards you if you make at least SOME effort to type in Japanese, even if it's a lousy translation in the Romanized version of Japanese writing. Also, remember that in general, Japanese players tend to demand a higher level of decorum/politeness than their NA counterparts. The JP players will frown upon melee job players taking unnecessary risks and/or not using defensive buffs or getting out of AOE damage range when prudent. JP players tend to appreciate teamwork more, and "e-peening" less. So keep it in your virtual pants when you join a JP group, if you want to make a favorable impression.
[+]
 Caitsith.Sai
Server: Caitsith
user: Saiii
By Caitsith.Sai 2012-04-23 09:48:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said: »

I respond to JP shouts for Voidwatch fairly often. About 50% of the time, I get the standard "{English} {No thanks}" response, or just get flat-out ignored, and move on. C'est la vie. Can't blame a player if s/he doesn't want to type everything twice, in two languages.

However, the other 50% of the time, I find the JP shouter/leader is perfectly willing to work through the language barrier. If you want advice, I've learned that some JP players will respond VERY positively towards you if you make at least SOME effort to type in Japanese, even if it's a lousy translation in the Romanized version of Japanese writing. Also, remember that in general, Japanese players tend to demand a higher level of decorum/politeness than their NA counterparts. The JP players will frown upon melee job players taking unnecessary risks and/or not using defensive buffs or getting out of AOE damage range when prudent. JP players tend to appreciate teamwork more, and "e-peening" less. So keep it in your virtual pants when you join a JP group, if you want to make a favorable impression.

Different servers seem to be quite different when it comes to this subject.

Come to Rag > 95% wont even respond to you & the other 5% will JP Onry you.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-04-23 10:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

On Lakshmi, JP usually shout in Whitegate versus the typical NA shouting that happens in Port Jeuno.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2012-04-23 12:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Sai said: »
Bismarck.Elanabelle said: »

Different servers seem to be quite different when it comes to this subject.

Come to Rag > 95% wont even respond to you & the other 5% will JP Onry you.

That's a good point that I didn't consider, Sai.

I wonder which FFXI servers are the most-friendly towards cross-culture co-op play, and which servers are the most xenophobic?
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-23 12:38:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I join JP shouts preferentially. NA shouts are always an AFK fest. JP shouts, can do 12 fights, no one AFKs, people stun dangerous TP moves ...

NA shouts someone AFKs for 5m+ every 10 minutes, no one stuns ... it's no wonder they think NA players suck.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5