users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » Ninja VW proc gear set
Ninja VW proc gear set
 Bismarck.Sylow
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-09 18:43:41
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have DNC procs elsewhere, and have a DRG for some reason, and there's no slot for you in the DD parties, that's not necessarily a bad idea.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2012-04-09 18:49:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I mainly go /war, unless I'm told that I'm just a proc-dork.

I do realize though that a lot of BLUs are only there to proc stuff.
In those cases, I don't see anything wrong with using staves.

I said though, that 'people who are actually meleeing' (with a propper weapon, such as Almace), shouldn't care all too much about every single proc.

You have your 3-4 elements set and if you need to, you switch.
You get a resist on something that can be ignored, you keep on DDing.
If you really come into the situation that your proc might be a deal-breaker, you, obviously, try to get it.

It's common sense after all.

When I'm hearing that you should use staves if you face resists though, I can't help but disagreeing with that.

That being said, I'm talking about real BLUs and not the kind that doesn't even have sets for their spells, etc.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-04-09 18:53:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Given that it will statistically improve output of the entire alliance and also lead to less repeat proc attempts provided the previous conditions hold true, it's completely justifiable. I wouldn't sweat it for NQ procs unless temps/procs were drying up, but HQ/EV absolutely if you know the NM is resistant but not immune/capped meva.
I thought you agreed with this?
 Sylph.Traxus
Server: Sylph
user: traxusIV
By Sylph.Traxus 2012-04-09 18:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply

My blu is generally in the DD party, and I'm generally parsing right below the war/drk/sams, often times #1 in pugs. If it's an hq/eq proc that I'm having trouble landing (like cold wave) and the mob isn't almost dead, I still switch to staff after WS. Losing like 10-20 tp isn't a big deal in a VW environment, while temps are.

Hell, if it makes the difference between refilling your own temps or not, than NOT swapping to the staff is a potential damage loss, and that's not counting the temps for the other 17 players.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-09 18:59:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Grandthief said: »
Well, I mainly go /war, unless I'm told that I'm just a proc-dork.

The smart thing to do would be to look over your alliance before you leave, and if your alliance is missing something subbable (jumps, steps), to switch to that subjob.

If you're not missing any of that, by all means, go ahead and /WAR and put out the best damage you can, but that's not your primary job in Voidwatch.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2012-04-09 19:01:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I should have said what I do specifically agree with, my bad.

I do agree with the fact that more Macc will help you landing those hard procs and that would include the use of staves.
I also do arrive to an arrangement about the HQ/EV matter, because those can certainly help out the alliance and the whole cause itself.

It's just not a common scenario, that I have experienced in VW so far.

Sometimes you will have 4+ fights with no BLU-proc at all. Sometimes you will have a lot of BLU-procs.
And sometimes you will have 1-2 NQ BLU-procs where it just doesn't matter whether or not you will get them, as the mob dies anyways and/or red is capped already.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2012-04-09 19:07:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Sylow said: »
The smart thing to do would be to look over your alliance before you leave, and if your alliance is missing something subbable (jumps, steps), to switch to that subjob.

If you're not missing any of that, by all means, go ahead and /WAR and put out the best damage you can, but that's not your primary job in Voidwatch.
I believe that you're under the impression that BLU merely is a proc-job, if anything.

I'm not the one to build the alliance, when I join. Of course I chose the best sub I think applies to the current setup but if the leader doesn't get a certain job, it isn't my fault that the alliance is lacking some procs.

Going by that logic, you could blame all other 17 peeps for not chosing a certain sub-job.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-09 19:13:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I do. This is why I'm always the alliance leader. I can pick and choose people's subjobs at will, stacking the odds statisically in our favor.

I had a BRD sub DRG the other day. BLU can sub PLD, DNC, or DRG and pick up an extra proc or two. NIN can sub DRG or DNC and not lose much.

I have no problem putting a competent BLU into the DD party if there's room, having them sub WAR, and asking them to play offensively, only worrying about HQ procs.

But if I have 7 players, 6 are known strong, well-geared,effective heavy DDs, and one is a strong BLU (or NIN), which one do you think is going to be delegated to the proc party, and which am I going to put in the BRD+COR parties?
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2012-04-09 19:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, if you don't know people, you just go by what you have experienced.
No one can blame you for that.

I've been in a BLM-pt as NIN and ruled the parse. I've been a PLD and out-DD'ed Ukon-WARs. I've been WoE-MNK and beat Vere-MNKs..
So, nothing really surprises me anymore in this day and age.

All I'm concerned about is what I get in the end and, of course, how I get there.

I always try to do the best I can and I always just offer jobs I'm comfortable with.
Unlike people who have lvl'ed all job to 99 and offer them, in order to be more versatile.
When all they are is gimped on a different job.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-09 19:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I've seen that happen too. Also, keep in mind that I'm FFXI's #1 advocate for DNC in VW, so I'm not just some MNK WAR DRK SAM onry person.

If someone like Nightfyre or Prothescar joined my VW shout on NIN or BLU, they'd go in the DD party over some random WAR or MNK.

But if there were one slot left in the DD parties, and I had to pick Austar's MNK vs. Nightfyre's NIN?

Gotta make sacrifices somewhere.
[+]
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-09 19:28:13
Link | Quote | Reply

(This of course assumes that I found 5 other DDs of equal caliber, so it's an extremely hypothetical situation,)
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-04-09 19:30:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Pick me!
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2012-04-09 19:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Sly knows his stuff. Out of all the VW shouts I have been in. His have been the most productive!!
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-09 19:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Rather than having this argument again ad nauseum, agreeing with Sylow in that it is incredibly hypothetical as to who goes in which party on what job. Ukonvasara doesn't automatically make a WAR superior to a BLU/DNC/NIN.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2012-04-09 19:33:44
Link | Quote | Reply

You do have to make choises and also sacrifices and that's nothing I'm argueing against.

The topic at hand is to whether or not use staves as NIN (or BLU, respectively) when you are getting resists.

Even a NIN (or BLU) in a non-cor/brd-pt can shine.
Given that most people playing these days aren't too great to begin with.

Great guys will always be great, no matter where they are put. And sucky people will also always be mediocre, no matter how many sweet items they have or what awesome buffs they will get.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-09 19:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

If it's an HV or EV I'll switch to a staff. BLU and NIN enfeebles don't generally have the best MACC.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-09 19:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're getting resists, and the proc is HQ or EX, then use a staff. I don't care how awesome you are, or how much you think the mob is going to die anyway.

NQ procs aren't very important unless all or most HQs are locked, but there are times when those absolutely need to be landed too.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-09 19:40:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I would expect a WAR or MNK to switch to a club or staff if the proc is integral as well, it doesn't fall only on certain jobs.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2012-04-09 19:45:50
Link | Quote | Reply

It's really astonishing how some people can always generalize things when most of the stuff, indeed, is situational.

If the mob has 1% HP left and you are switching spells and/or to staff even, when you have the chance to use a propper WS (or spell for BLU) instead..
You're just an idiot.

Even at like 10%, when you just got red or white or you keep getting yellow procs incoming.. I don't see the need for you to gimp yourself.

It's not a matter of "showing everyone how pimp you are" but about just getting it over with and not trying to take as much time as possible to kill something, when all lights are at max already and there is no harm to be feared.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-09 20:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

So now you only disapprove of switching to a staff when the mob is <10%, dying quickly, it's already staggered, and you have full temps? Okay, then we agree.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2012-04-09 20:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, this is exactly what I'm saying, Sylow.

I suppose, I haven't conveyed anything. I guess, I could be a HS teacher.
 Lye
By Lye 2012-04-10 16:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

multi-stage VW fight says hi2u.

Carbuncle.Grandthief said: »
It's really astonishing how some people can always generalize things when most of the stuff, indeed, is situational.

If the mob has 1% HP left and you are switching spells and/or to staff even, when you have the chance to use a propper WS (or spell for BLU) instead..
You're just an idiot.