Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » Rounding out gear
Rounding out gear
 Carbuncle.Vermithrax
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: lselvio
By Carbuncle.Vermithrax 2012-04-02 09:43:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking at fine tweaking my mage gear, as I have neglected it as of late. Would appeciate any input as to what imporvemens I can make. Thanks in advance guys.

Barspells/Boost:

Cure Pot:

(Pants with 5%)

Stoneskin/enhancing:
 Bismarck.Mitchel
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Mitchel 2012-04-02 09:58:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Barspells/Boost:
- Aim to +2 Af2
- +2 Body and Feet for 3/5 Set bonus

Cure Pot:
You are only at 43% cure potency in that set, I'm not sure how much a difference the cure update makes now with the +20 skill(someone may have to correct me), but ideally you want to be at ~49-50% to warrant using the +2 body for SS boost
Can reach this with:
-Orison earring
-Fyglja +1 isn't overly expensive anymore (or +4% neck from Bismarck)
-Roundel Earring
-Augurs Gloves

Other upgrades are just things like +7 rings or +3 earrings. Sirona's ring is a very good ring for cures now with the recent update and quite cheap.

Hope thats helpful.
 Shiva.Galbir
Server: Shiva
user: galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-04-02 10:06:47
Link | Quote | Reply

For single target cures 1skill = 2mind so mind rings are meh. Sironas and Ephedra Ring will be your best bet.
 Carbuncle.Vermithrax
By Carbuncle.Vermithrax 2012-04-02 10:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Mitchel, thanks for the input!
 Shiva.Galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-04-02 10:12:48
Link | Quote | Reply

An idle set with -pdt and refresh will help a lot as well if you don't have one.
 Carbuncle.Vermithrax
By Carbuncle.Vermithrax 2012-04-02 10:22:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I do, forgot to list it, it is:

Shiva.Galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-04-02 10:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Go check out Cheviot Cape It's cheap and has a great boost for your idle set.

Also Wivre hairpin with refresh+1 and 2x Dark rings with at least -5% pdt. These can both be farmed at the same time took me about two days.

Oh and an Owleyes with Genbus shield. Macro in earth staff when things get hectic.
 Phoenix.Lillicarnage
Server: Phoenix
user: Lillica
By Phoenix.Lillicarnage 2012-04-02 10:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wondering something, if you are using MND earrings and rings in all of your sets aside from Idle, what is the point of having the converts HP to MP items in those slots? As soon as you swap them out for the MND items you will lose the bonus MP and have your Max HP restored basically just leaving you at -115 HP.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Vermithrax
By Carbuncle.Vermithrax 2012-04-02 10:35:00
Link | Quote | Reply

So that I have as much as mp as possible for when casting things that dont require the gear swaps of hp/mp, then when i do swap those out, im still at my max mp for those sets.
 Shiva.Galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-04-02 10:35:09
Link | Quote | Reply

That's why Dark rings are your top choices for idle. Well Defending ring too but yea.

Edit: A max Mp set is great before an event or fight but it is not to be mixed up with a Idle set.

Max mp set > pro/shell > haste > Idle >cure > idle > cure > idle repeat till everything is dead.
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2012-04-02 12:08:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cure set:

Assuming Hume whm/sch with Light Arts and no Healing Magic merits.

With current set (base + cureskin = total):
Cure 3: 431 + 150 = 581
Cure 4: 806 + 282 = 1088
Cure 5: 1033 + 361 = 1394

If you swapped body to, say, Facio Bliaut for capped potency:
Cure 3: 447 + 111 = 558
Cure 4: 834 + 208 = 1042
Cure 5: 1074 + 268 = 1342

So direct amount cured increases by ~3.5% - 4%, but total cured+stoneskin protection drops by ~4%. You're basically right at the point where I consider it worthwhile to switch to AF3+2 body despite not capping cure potency.

Suggestions:

Get a Sirona's Ring (10 skill, 3 mnd, 3 vit; single most cost-effective improvement you can make)
Get an Ephedra Ring (slightly more expensive, but still a good improvement over mnd rings; keep a mnd ring for curagas, though)
Get an Orison Earring (drops from chariot that gives key item for Rani; any group going for Rani kills will likely let you have it for free)
Improve staff to Arka IV.

Staff+earring puts you at 46% cure potency, comfortably above the threshhold for switching to Orison+2 body. Beyond that you'd need a Roundel Earring to let you start switching more stuff around, and that's probably a more long-term goal (still fairly expensive, depending on your income options).

Stoneskin set:

Assuming hume whm/sch, you should have 91 base mnd. That means you need a mere 267 Enhancing Magic skill to cap stoneskin. Light Arts should put you around 400 (not even counting whatever you have in gear), which means you need less than 50 mnd to cap stoneskin,.

In other words, there is absolutely no point in keeping mnd in your enhancing magic set simply for stoneskin (this goes for your rdm questions as well). Ignore that and just focus on max Enhancing, and toss in haste or Conserve MP or whatever to fill it out.

Though for bars, 4/5 AF3+2 set plus relic(+2) pants. For Boosts/etc, Enhancing Magic skill such as Hyksos Robe.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-04-02 13:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Galbir said: »
For single target cures 1skill = 2mind so mind rings are meh. Sironas and Ephedra Ring will be your best bet.

So sironas 10 healing skills is equal to 20mnd ring ?
that is big change in cure's then.
Do you have any link that proofs this ?

-- edit ---
nvm i found it i need to redo my curesets *sigh*
 Carbuncle.Vermithrax
By Carbuncle.Vermithrax 2012-04-02 14:05:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Motenten said: »
Cure set:

Assuming Hume whm/sch with Light Arts and no Healing Magic merits.

With current set (base + cureskin = total):
Cure 3: 431 + 150 = 581
Cure 4: 806 + 282 = 1088
Cure 5: 1033 + 361 = 1394

If you swapped body to, say, Facio Bliaut for capped potency:
Cure 3: 447 + 111 = 558
Cure 4: 834 + 208 = 1042
Cure 5: 1074 + 268 = 1342

So direct amount cured increases by ~3.5% - 4%, but total cured+stoneskin protection drops by ~4%. You're basically right at the point where I consider it worthwhile to switch to AF3+2 body despite not capping cure potency.

Suggestions:

Get a Sirona's Ring (10 skill, 3 mnd, 3 vit; single most cost-effective improvement you can make)
Get an Ephedra Ring (slightly more expensive, but still a good improvement over mnd rings; keep a mnd ring for curagas, though)
Get an Orison Earring (drops from chariot that gives key item for Rani; any group going for Rani kills will likely let you have it for free)
Improve staff to Arka IV.

Staff+earring puts you at 46% cure potency, comfortably above the threshhold for switching to Orison+2 body. Beyond that you'd need a Roundel Earring to let you start switching more stuff around, and that's probably a more long-term goal (still fairly expensive, depending on your income options).

Stoneskin set:

Assuming hume whm/sch, you should have 91 base mnd. That means you need a mere 267 Enhancing Magic skill to cap stoneskin. Light Arts should put you around 400 (not even counting whatever you have in gear), which means you need less than 50 mnd to cap stoneskin,.

In other words, there is absolutely no point in keeping mnd in your enhancing magic set simply for stoneskin (this goes for your rdm questions as well). Ignore that and just focus on max Enhancing, and toss in haste or Conserve MP or whatever to fill it out.

Though for bars, 4/5 AF3+2 set plus relic(+2) pants. For Boosts/etc, Enhancing Magic skill such as Hyksos Robe.

Can you tell me what the minimum enhancing magic skill and minimum MND is required to reach the cap on stoneskin?
 Shiva.Galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-04-02 14:11:45
Link | Quote | Reply

This will do the math for you. Play with it for a bit.
 Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow 2012-04-02 14:26:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Can get 420 HP absorbed by Stoneskin with this stuff if you care:
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2012-04-02 15:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Can you tell me what the minimum enhancing magic skill and minimum MND is required to reach the cap on stoneskin?

270 skill and 90 mnd. Every 3 skill you add removes 1 mnd from the requirement, and vice versa.