users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » avatar thiefs
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-13 20:05:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Celene said:
Aren't there copyright laws on the internet? I'm sure there is.
Besides, lets say it was taken from a page that had some copyright to it. What happens then? Still not stealing?

There are. Flicker has a safety feature that doesn't allow people to C & P pictures from it's users. I know Facebook doesn't have that feature, I'm sure MySpace is the same since all the underage *** and pedophiles roam that site.
[+]
 Siren.Cyprian
Server: Siren
By Siren.Cyprian 2009-05-13 20:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread is amusing. Specially since Ive seen the OPs Avi like 100 times.
And I think its agreed far and wide once on the Internet, it's the world's. Whether or not you have a copyright.
(yay 1st post. lolz)
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-13 20:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

User submitted image
[+]
 Phoenix.Amael
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-05-13 20:31:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Celene said:
Sometimes (like now) I use someone's art as an avatar. This isn't my art, and I'm not claiming it either. If some angry artist came to me and asked me to remove my avatar, I would. However, I'm totally against people posting art under the "screenshots" sections, and claiming it as their own. I can think of a few people who say "This is mine!" when I know all too well it's done by a Japanese artist. <.<
/endrant

User submitted image
This is mine~! have the .psd to prove it! :3

I should make an avi out of this /think
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-05-14 07:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Does that Galka "MNK" have SAM AF on?
 Hades.Jacinda
Server: Hades
user: Jacinda
By Hades.Jacinda 2009-05-14 08:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess if you want to keep someone from taking your avatar, use your actual picture.
 Titan.Rebekah
Server: Titan
user: Rebekah
By Titan.Rebekah 2009-05-14 08:43:57
Link | Quote | Reply

alright let me clear stuff up here, I was web browsing, saw a pic... I liked it, I put it on as a avatar....
months later...

I get a msg, I am like wow who is this person... Says Avatar Thf... I am like wow what did I do? lol

He says I stole his Avatar. I was like damn I didn't know he made it... So i complemented him and said I'd give him props for it. So I put in my comments his name and props! lol

after that I didn't get a msg from him... figured o.k he is alright with me just giving him props... I come on the site... See this! I am like wow lol I didn't even read the full thing I just had to tell my side... SORRY! I didn't know it was a big deal... You should be happy people like the pic you put up as your avatar... I didn't know it was yours. I just happen to see it and liked it.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-05-14 08:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh don't worry about it, many ppl do it without knowing of others having it. It happens. :) I don't think he's seriously that mad over it. :P
 Titan.Rebekah
By Titan.Rebekah 2009-05-14 08:56:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I took down his name from my comments due to the fact that IF said person made the pic it was not good enough and he had to bash me on forms... when he could of asked please take it down other then calling me a Avatar thf lol.
Edit: I am sorry the topic of the msg was Avatar and the msg was THIEF!!!!
lol
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-05-14 08:58:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think he created it himself but I'm unsure. Even so, there is no way to view every single player on here's avatar. So it happens to alot of ppl. I'm sure its not a huge deal, there is nothing stopping anyone from using it as their own avatar on the profile. I took some gothic chicks photo for my avatar, so not like I'm editing it or doing something with it that would cause a chaos.
 Unicorn.Motokosun
Server: Unicorn
user: mattchew
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-05-14 08:58:54
Link | Quote | Reply

with the person giving you props i fail to see why the creator would be upset. We're not talking about a great masterpiece of artwork, we're talkin about an avatar. And if the OP truly did make it one would think that they would be proud that it was liked enough to be used by someone else AND have dues given for there work.

Now i could understand if they had asked them to remove or give credit and neither was done, but that's not the case here.

Septroth said:
ill start off
http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=882988#forum

Usually when someone "starts off with" they follow up with "and to finish "
just a friendly observation.

No but seriously /still waiting XD
 Pandemonium.Aravol
Server: Pandemonium
user: aravol
By Pandemonium.Aravol 2009-05-14 09:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny thing is, that i have seen some of these avatars while browsing internet.
If someone has created there avatar then they should be the only ones to have it. As long as u dont allow your creation to become share-able.
If someone took a file from somewhere to use it as there avatar they should not make a big deal out of it.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-14 09:03:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
 Asura.Hatheron
user: Hatheron
By Asura.Hatheron 2009-05-14 09:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

From observing the tact of the OP, I seriously doubt he had the patience to create that pretty cool avi. He's just butthurt that someone has the exact same avi.

It's the same sort of jealousy a woman gets when she arrives at a fancy cocktail party wearing the exact same dress as her social rival.
 Pandemonium.Aravol
Server: Pandemonium
user: aravol
By Pandemonium.Aravol 2009-05-14 09:26:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

LOL
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-05-14 09:27:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I refer back to my first post:
Blazza said:
lol, considering I saw that Avvy about 4 years ago, are you going to try and tell me that you made it, have been using it all this time and have sole rights to it? They probably "stole" it from the same place you did -_-

And come on, that avatar is a highly original (although old now) piece of work. The originality required to create something of that calibre is something that anyone with the name of Septroth is clearly lacking.

Also:
Kungfuhustle said:
User submitted image

I've always wanted to know if this ***is real. I have watched it so many times and I can't pick a single fault with it that makes it look faked. But I also can't imagine how a spring-board breaking would suddenly give like double power, that just doesn't make sense to me, and that guy sitting there behind the judges table just sits there like nothing is happening. I DON'T KNOW! </rant>
 Asura.Hatheron
By Asura.Hatheron 2009-05-14 09:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Blazza said:
lol, considering I saw that Avvy about 4 years ago, are you going to try and tell me that you made it, have been using it all this time and have sole rights to it? They probably "stole" it from the same place you did -_-

And come on, that avatar is a highly original (although old now) piece of work. The originality required to create something of that calibre is something that anyone with the name of Septroth is clearly lacking.

Exactly!
 Ifrit.Durai
user: olan
By Ifrit.Durai 2009-05-14 09:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Blazza said:

Also:
Kungfuhustle said:
User submitted image

I've always wanted to know if this ***is real. I have watched it so many times and I can't pick a single fault with it that makes it look faked. But I also can't imagine how a spring-board breaking would suddenly give like double power, that just doesn't make sense to me, and that guy sitting there behind the judges table just sits there like nothing is happening. I DON'T KNOW! </rant>

I've been doing the same thing. I think its fake because of the angle of his body while he's flying through the air. If the spring board really launched him that far I really think his legs would have flipped over him at some point...

kinda like:

>-o \ | / o-<

lol
 Asura.Celene
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-05-14 09:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, there is no way his legs would have kept back, they would have flipped over him.
 Asura.Endelig
user: endelig
By Asura.Endelig 2009-05-14 10:12:06
Link | Quote | Reply

This avatar is absolutely 100% original...and I'm awesome.
 Asura.Hatheron
By Asura.Hatheron 2009-05-14 10:56:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Endelig said:
This avatar is absolutely 100% original...and I'm awesome.

WIN
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-14 11:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Rebekah said:
alright let me clear stuff up here, I was web browsing, saw a pic... I liked it, I put it on as a avatar....
months later...

I get a msg, I am like wow who is this person... Says Avatar Thf... I am like wow what did I do? lol

He says I stole his Avatar. I was like damn I didn't know he made it... So i complemented him and said I'd give him props for it. So I put in my comments his name and props! lol

after that I didn't get a msg from him... figured o.k he is alright with me just giving him props... I come on the site... See this! I am like wow lol I didn't even read the full thing I just had to tell my side... SORRY! I didn't know it was a big deal... You should be happy people like the pic you put up as your avatar... I didn't know it was yours. I just happen to see it and liked it.

How *** pathetic must someone be to actually call someone else an avatar thief?

there is one unspoken rule about the internet...
IF YOU PUT SOMETHING ON THE WEB, ITS EVERYONE'S!

"Omfg, you stole his avatar, you're going to Avi Jail!"
 Leviathan.Webjester
Server: Leviathan
user: Webjester
By Leviathan.Webjester 2009-05-14 11:40:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
User submitted image

"Do not attempt. Controlled Environment."

Sounds like Wire-Fu to me.
 Titan.Rebekah
By Titan.Rebekah 2009-05-14 11:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Webjester said:
User submitted image

LOL

And all I really wanna know is why did the OP decide to post on forms if he could have just simply sent me a msg ASKING to take down it...

1. he does not have a good argument
2. he has not read the thread just wanted to start drama...

-_-;;;; sad really.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-14 11:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

everyone starts a thread on here looking for drama, except Filliele and Lu. Ones a nut and the other wants pics of hot Asian women :P
 Odin.Dizzi
Server: Odin
user: DizziCS
By Odin.Dizzi 2009-05-14 12:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

There are some avatars I definitely would not want to steal.

RL Avatars are the best anyways, since it shows the person posting them actually has the guts to publish a picture of him-/herself. Oh, and you dont have to worry about people stealing your picture, unless you are Hugh Jackman.