Forum » FFXI » General » population
population
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2012-02-27 11:15:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, there. I haven't played(or posted here) in quite a while, and I don't have any interest in coming back, but out of curiosity, how is the population of FFXI looking these days? I know it isn't anywhere near what it was during the game's heyday, since by the look of things there are only half the servers that there used to be, but is there still a decent amount of new and older players online? Or is it at the point where SE is just running out the clock by giving the remaining hardcore players what they want?
By Drjones 2012-02-27 11:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

That second thing there, only without giving players what they want.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2012-02-27 11:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

To me it seems pretty much as lively now as it was when Abyssea was first introduced. Just doesn't always seem like it since most things are solo or very low man (you and a couple of friends) orientated and very few things require large groups like it used to.

Actually the things a well merited and geared 99BST can do is pretty astounding.

Also, there's a shitload more BSTs now too, lol. A good 70% of the people I run across in Dynamis are BST, you also find quite a lot of them in Abyssea.
 Valefor.Sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2012-02-28 08:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, I see! Thanks for the info. Interesting to see a game that so heavily preached teamwork and alliances for so long move in a completely different direction. FFXI was always known for being brutally difficult on people who chose to do things outside of group play, after all. Too bad they didn't see both sides of the coin like this years ago! At this point it just seems like a move to accommodate a rapidly shrinking user base.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2012-02-28 08:24:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I kinda like it this way.. One of the things I liked about FFXIV the most, was how solo/duo friendly it was.. Only the tip-top gear came from stuff that required large groups (or lots of money) you could easily obtain good or very good gear on your own or with minimal help..

That's kinda how XI is now.. I mean you still need the right jobs.. But you're no longer stuck with 'average' or even below average gear, simply because you don't have a group/event orientated LS, lots of gil to throw around or want to spend hours shouting or looking for a pickup group.

Back when I quit, the thought of soloing a relic weapon was completely unrealistic. Even if you could afford the hour glasses and what not, you'd probably be better off just buying the coins.

That's no longer the case, you can enter Dynamis once a day, and solo it, I just got another clear (Qufim) tonight and it was only me as 95BST and a friend as 99BST. Between the two of us, we also walked out with like 135 coins. That was because we had to do the NM twice though, we kinda just got *** on the first pop. I average (and I'm not even that fast/good) like ~100 coins completely solo.
 Valefor.Sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2012-02-28 08:33:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, I completely agree, I think it's better this way. That's why I said I wish they had done this years ago. I was never big on alliance stuff with huge linkshells...too much squabbling and petty drama. It's just a shame that SE seems to have made the game more solo-friendly out of necessity rather than choice.

Dynamis actually sounds like fun now, lol. Never thought that would happen!
 Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow 2012-02-28 08:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

10 census information
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-02-28 08:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not fun at all when all the mobs disappear cause there are 30-40 people to compete with for a single claim. Dynamis sucks a lot imho.
 Valefor.Sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2012-02-28 09:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, I guess Dynamis are open zones now? Oh well, can't win 'em all, I guess. Still sounds better than the old Dynamis..too much whining and death, lol.
[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-02-28 09:56:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I think, that with a little creativity and patience, dynamis isn't nearly as bad as people sometimes make it out to be. Sure, it's really frustrating when you have a BST "fighting" half the mobs in an area, and another one doing the same with the other half. But after neo-dyna started, I went from the easiest mobs in city zones, to easy mobs in dream zones, to DC in dream, to now being pretty handy almost anywhere. For example, in the dunes, the normal (that I've seen) cycle is Funguars, Goobbues, and Hippogryphs. Turns out that trees and manticores are pretty friendly and very uncrowded. And beastmen are almost entirely left alone. So while 10 BSTs go at one group of mobs, I'm alone in another. It usually works out.

I don't know about the "direction" of the game, now, though. I understand that a smaller user base means less money means less new stuff for us to do. But I wonder if there's a point where almost everyone playing will continue to play until SE kicks us out, and how large a group that is. Either way, it's got to stay around for a few more years - I think and hope. I'm having more fun than ever, and there's a ton I still want to do.

*Lol even though you said you're not interested in coming back, I totally was advertising... oops.
 Shiva.Falseliberty
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Falseliberty 2012-02-28 13:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply

last weekend there was 3500-4000 online.. weekends are nuts
at least on shiva anyway. Normally 1000-2000 people on average here
 Shiva.Xellith
Server: Shiva
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2012-02-28 13:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI's direction is currently - do as much as possible for as cheap as possible. "Hey dev team here is $100. Cya next month".