Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » Beginner WHM, please help
Beginner WHM, please help
 Phoenix.Vael
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Vale
By Phoenix.Vael 2012-02-26 20:34:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a veteran player but I've only ever played career PLD (which is now all but retired due to the fact I rarely play due to my own motivation to progress, but rather I play just to hop on and join some in-game friends w/ whatever they're up to).

I've never used spellcast, but I do use windower macros (/console exec name.txt type).

Since my WHM was Abyssea about a year ago to help out the groups I run with, I never really made it anything special since WHMing in Abyssea is, well, you know. Since I stopped playing for a little while, and the game has shifted focus a little, I now need to gear up and play WHM as much like an expert as possible.

My current gear set should be listed in my profile, there are virtually no gear swaps (there are a few but that's not important).

Basically I am asking for ground up WHM gear advice, because sifting through the forums to find the best sets and how/when to use them is difficult.

At the very least, could the more experienced WHMs on the forum post their sets for cast time, cure potency, and whatever 'precast' is? Yes, I actually don't know what that refers to. Also, barspell sets, enhancing/healing skill+ benefits, etc.

I will research spellcast on my own as that isn't the forum for this and I realize that. Chances are I'll have to ask for help over there though.

Edit: I realize this is asking a lot, but I'm sure there are those out there wanting to make noobs suck less.
 Fenrir.Niniann
Server: Fenrir
user: Ninian
By Fenrir.Niniann 2012-02-26 20:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Vael said: »
At the very least, could the more experienced WHMs on the forum post their sets for cast time,

I don't feel like throwing out sets, but I'll give you knowledge so you can do it yourself. Cast time(fast cast) caps at 80%. So your combined fastcast/cure cast time should be as close to 80% as possible (though that might mess with your mid-cast depending on your connection).

Quote:
cure potency

You want to get as close to 50% potency as possible. Once you get there, look into swapping things around to allow you to use the Orison body for the enhances Solace effect while still maintaining 50% potency. My set is as follows, but is probably not optimal anymore.

Quote:
and whatever 'precast' is?

Precast is what you cast in before your midcast. Precast = fastcast, midcast = potency.

Quote:
Also, barspell sets, enhancing/healing skill+ benefits, etc.

Barspell just put on Relic legs and enhancing skill, and Orison body with Solace up. You don't need healing skill until next patch.
 Ragnarok.Ganukay
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ganukay
By Ragnarok.Ganukay 2012-02-26 20:46:17
Link | Quote | Reply

i have a lot of those sets posted on my profile. guildwork for my spellcast xml, the post above sums it up pretty well though
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2012-02-26 20:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Also consider getting an Idle set. Refresh/-Damage Taken. I know you don't want to sift through the forums, but you should. :/
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Server: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2012-02-26 20:55:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Basically the same as Niniann's

Here's my Precast set, the Genbu's shield is -8% Cure Casting time

And here's my general fast cast set for practically all spells that aren't cure related. I have haste in this set since I use it so generally. Sometimes there will be spells that don't need to have a midcast, so the haste will shorten the recast.

I only keep the Witful belt out of Cure Precast because I don't like the occasional Quick Magic proc that comes with it.

Idle can be somewhat time-consuming if you don't have Refresh pin or Subligar yet.

[+]
 Phoenix.Vael
By Phoenix.Vael 2012-02-26 20:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I did sift through, it's just hard to take it all in when one guy posts his cure potency set in a discussion about when/how to properly use potency after swapping from cure cast, and then a few posts or even pages later another gear set.

Just from having knowledge of the game (been playing since '04) I think I have a fairly good grasp on what to do and how, I just thought posting this thread would be a better way to compile that information, not only for myself.

Thanks for the replies so far.

To achieve the -recast from fast cast, does it still need to be equipped, or does that register also at the start of casting like the -cast time from fast cast does? And haste?

Also, on completing the arka IV, I suppose I'd need assistance seeing as PLD can't equip that staff? My staff skill is currently horribly underleveled, how difficult do you fellas think it would be to solo the trials as WHM, taking into consideration possible optimized PDT/DD/solo gear sets in general and of course the staff skill I'm lacking? Keep in mind I am severely opposed to leveling other jobs; I fully admit that this is probably due to extreme mental deficiency and I should be flamed for it.
 Phoenix.Lithical
By Phoenix.Lithical 2012-02-26 21:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Can look at my gear sets if you want, and send me a tell in game for any questions. I love talking about WHM
 Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2012-02-26 21:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

To achieve the -recast from fast cast, does it still need to be equipped, or does that register also at the start of casting like the -cast time from fast cast does? And haste?
It needs to be on at the completion of the spell.

Also, on completing the arka IV, I suppose I'd need assistance seeing as PLD can't equip that staff? My staff skill is currently horribly underleveled, how difficult do you fellas think it would be to solo the trials as WHM, taking into consideration possible optimized PDT/DD/solo gear sets in general and of course the staff skill I'm lacking? Keep in mind I am severely opposed to leveling other jobs; I fully admit that this is probably due to extreme mental deficiency and I should be flamed for it.

Just have some of your friends kill pixies for you in Abyssea - La Theine, or hope that others are doing the trial as well. With a Kannagi NIN and Ukon WAR I was able to complete my Surya's (At the time) in 2 Lightsdays
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2012-02-26 21:05:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aeronis said: »

Personally I'd use augmented Dark Rings over the Regen rings, but that's me.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2012-02-26 21:07:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
Sadly whm can't wear the belt and back in Aeronis's idle set but mine is otherwise very similar. you can compliment whms extreme MDB very well while capping auto-refresh idling for things like meteor and high range astral flow (ignoring tarus)
Oh oops, I overlooked that in my attempt at optimization.
By Gimpness 2012-02-26 21:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

NEVERMIND D:< WAS BEAT WHILE TYPING.

HATE YOU ALL
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2012-02-26 21:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

To receive recast benefits, it needs to be on for the end of the spell. This goes for Fast Cast and Haste. Cure Cast Time won't give -recast.
By Gimpness 2012-02-26 21:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

to add to that ^ (unless this has changed)

+fastcast won't give you -recast, only -cast time

enhances fastcast effect will give both, though.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2012-02-26 21:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Gimpness said: »

The only +fast cast thing I can think of would be augments from Mini-expansions and Jeweled Collar in La Theine, but all of those options really aren't that great for WHM.
 Phoenix.Vael
By Phoenix.Vael 2012-02-26 21:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh wow, I didn't know that. I imagine not many people (who don't specialize in mage) do.

Phoenix.Lithical said: »
Can look at my gear sets if you want, and send me a tell in game for any questions. I love talking about WHM

You'll hear from me when I actually get my hands on enough gear for a few different sets. I don't want to ask how to properly time gear swaps before I even have the gear, b/c I'd just forget.

Thanks a lot for the replies everyone, was expecting a lot more "do some research before begging for help, noob."
By Gimpness 2012-02-26 21:24:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aeronis said: »

The only +fast cast thing I can think of would be augments from Mini-expansions and Jeweled Collar in La Theine, but all of those options really aren't that great for WHM.

well there's ummmm acp body. Was using it for haste recast timers before I knew, felt 'tarded when i found out <_< >_>. Though I guess it still did make the cast faster :x
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2012-02-27 01:55:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Outside of Cure sets and precast sets, you can also build a variety of other sets that will be beneficial to you as a WHM. Depending on how "hardcore" or "career" you want to make your WHM, you may or may not want to dedicate more gear to your gear selections. For example, as a career WHM, I carry around 80 pieces of equipment for my WHM.

I feel the next most important sets outside of Cure and precast sets are your Enfeebling and Enhancing sets.

There are generally two "ranges" of Enfeebling sets. The first is a maxed accuracy set, usually maximizing magic accuracy, Enfeebling skill, and the like. The other extreme is a max potency set. This applies to both Slow and Paralyze. Both of these have a "potency" rating that increases in effectiveness depending on how much more MND you have versus your target. In this particular case, it is best to try to put as much +MND gear as possible when your Slow/Para lands to maximize its effect. However, on higher tier NMs, it can be progressively difficult to land these Enfeebles, thus it may preferable to start building hybrid sets of magic accuracy and MND to maximize your enfeebles. Of course, other enfeebles such as Silence do not have a potency scale and thus is best to maximize your accuracy/skill equipments.

An Enhancing set is generally most important for your Bar-elemental spells. If I recall correctly, every 5 skill points adds another point of bar-elemental resistance to your spell. Using Relic Legs also gives a flat increase to your bar-element as well. Outside of bar-elements, some other spells gain a small effect increases from more Enhancing Skill such as the Boost spells and Phalanx if you're subbing RDM.

Outside of these sets, it's all up to you and how much gear you want to carry to maximize your efficiency and inventory. I personally carry around several Precast sets (Generic, Healing), a max potency set, enfeebling accuracy set, nuking set, haste set, melee sets, latent set for Medicine Ring, conserve MP set, enhancing set, hMP set, idle set, and -DT set. This is just an idea of just how much you stuff you can possibly use as a WHM.

One other thing I'd like to add is that Healing Skill may or may not be necessary for your Cures, depending on how the Cure changes are made. As of right now, there's a new batch of Cure formulas being put up on the Test Server that theoretically puts a bit more emphasis in Healing Skill versus the previous formula. I'd recommend to stay tuned on that. Either way, you probably want to build a set for Cure tiers I to IV and a different set for Cure V and VI. I personally use a mixed 50% potency set + Conserve MP on my Cure I-IV spells and a full 50% Potency + MND set on Cure V and up. Once you establish a solid 50% potency set for Cure V, you will find that you will not need to cast Cure VI very often.

And as a final note to this rather information overloaded post (apologies for that), of the +2 Empyrean gear to make, the Body, Head, and Legs should be your first priorities. The bonuses they give far outweigh what the other pieces in the set give.

Welcome to the world of a WHM. ^_^ It's a fun and rewarding job to play, so I hope you enjoy your stay!
[+]
 Bismarck.Highlordkitiara
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Highlordkitiara 2012-02-27 02:28:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ghishlain gets all my +'s.

And this theory applies to all jobs as well, just find out what the order of importance is and work down it. I personally only have a Potency, general fastcast/haste basic hybrid enfeeble and midtier nuke sets on my WHM, since it's job is almost exclusively healing. I have some situational sets for meleeing/goofing off, but I don't use them very often.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2012-02-27 02:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

There are a couple of other threads that can help aswell, this one is starting WHM from scratch. While this one covers picking it up midway through.

Aside from those, I'd just be repeating what's already been said here, so I'll save my keyboard letters and save you reading repeated information :D

EDIT: Also, if you're wanting to get used to spellcast, here's a copy of mine. It's a pretty simple one to work with, all you need to do is plug in the gear you use for each set and it'll work "out of the box".
 Ragnarok.Daffel
user: daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2012-02-27 03:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Just to add to Ghishlain's post I also have a few sets that I dont use so much but which I find useful. First is a regen set which is just Cleric's briault/orison mitts combo and a devotion set. These sets I find useful for when there is not massive refresh (aby) or temps to chug (VW).

Will be working on my divine and enfeebling sets soon also :D Hope you enjoy WHM it really is a fun job and gets pretty addictive.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Arcalimo
user: arcalimo
By Ragnarok.Arcalimo 2012-02-27 06:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I know you just asked for gear advice but, as career pld i'm sure you know how it sucks to die from a diaga's III dot from a byakko because the whm don't heal you because you blink too much to put shadows back (for example)

Being familiar with how to use <stpt>, <stal>, blinkmenot, or any another source to prevent blinking, etc. is as important, if not more, than gearing well, so work on that too if you are going to be a career mage.

It's 2012 and i still see the "you blink too much" lame excuse.. so just dropping that here incase it helps lol
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2012-02-27 13:43:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I have several gear sets in my profile for curing (precast/midcast, staff/club, solace/misery/curaga/melee). They somewhat depend on the Heka's body that I got a few weeks ago, but you should be able to rework them for the AH versions or Augur's body (for curaga/misery) easily enough.

Note: I don't have/use Medicine Ring, so I don't use anything tuned to that. If you don't have a Roundel Earring that will also limit you somewhat.

If you're interested in a somewhat more complicated Spellcast XML, get the "whm r2" and "Mote-include rev2" xmls from my pastebin page.

Ghishlain covered most everything in his post above, but I'll expand a little on fast cast/precast.

Fast Cast, Light Arts and Haste multiply against each other (ie: they're separate terms, not added together) for recast {proven}, and Fast Cast and Light Arts multiply against each other for cast time {implied and suggested by evidence}. 80% fast cast as /rdm is easy since the 15% FC is additive with Cure Cast Time, but takes a bit more work with Light Arts.

Implications on what gear you may want for precast:

/rdm: 15% trait, 20% merits, 15% clogs, 15% body, 12% legs, 9%-14% neck/ear/ammo/back, 8% aug genbu shield = up to 99% fast cast. Can drop 19% from the gear selection and still reach the (estimated) cap.

/sch: 15% less than above due to no FC trait, so 84% total. 10% LA would remove 1.6% from that if it could; alternatively, 3% if FC total was 70%, putting you at 73% cast time reduction, not 80%. Adjust numbers as appropriate for your gear set.
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
Server: Asura
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2012-02-27 16:02:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Just posting to add that no cast time limit has been found at 80% as idiots on this thread allude to, nor do people know how the different cast time stats stack. Don't stop adding cast time pieces just because the ones you have add up to 80 or more.