Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Caladbolg - TP/WS Build
Caladbolg - TP/WS Build
 Bismarck.Disguise
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: xKrafty
By Bismarck.Disguise 2012-02-01 10:50:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not the best DRK as I've only recently leveled it, although I love the job and want to fully max it out now.

This is what I was thinking about using for TPing:

Caladbolg TP:

This is what I was thinking about using for WSing:

Caladbolg WS:

I believe there's a few things I could change here to max my torcleaver damage, one being Ares's Cuirass, as for the feet, I'm unsure on which to obtain.

I'm also looking to build sets for having LR up/down and sets for when I have aftermath up/down, if anybody could give me a input or show me what they use, I'd appreciate it!
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-02-01 11:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

For TP you need more STP to attain a 7hit, Hagneia stone will do.
If that's for Torcleaver, Ogier's breeches are your best bet, they'r very equal to jingang when your attack is capped, and they'r better than bale when your attack is low. (Pretty sure!)
Apathy gorget on neck.
As far as hands go, just use heafoc mitts.
Feet you can get Jingang greaves, and aim for the dilarams from pil.
On belt, I think anguinus is the best bet when your attack is low, and snow belt or warwolf belt is better when your attack is high.
Warwolf augmented with attack might very well be better than aunguinus all the time
Can swap out your rajas for terrasoul too if you wanna spend the gil
 Bismarck.Disguise
By Bismarck.Disguise 2012-02-01 11:36:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't the crit rate - on the feet be bad for weapon skills? Mainly because you would want the weapon skill to critical for more damage?
 Cerberus.Detzu
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-02-01 11:39:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Disguise said: »
Wouldn't the crit rate - on the feet be bad for weapon skills? Mainly because you would want the weapon skill to critical for more damage?

Torcleaver doesn't crit so don't feel bad about that.
 Bismarck.Disguise
By Bismarck.Disguise 2012-02-01 11:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Detzu said: »
Bismarck.Disguise said: »

Torcleaver doesn't crit so don't feel bad about that.
That's correct! I feel a little stupid for saying that now, well that changes everything!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [414 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
Server: Ragnarok
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2013-03-21 15:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The sets on here are kind of out dated so I'm gonna bump it. Basically I'm an OAT drk and in the process of making a 90 calad for my own comparisons. Can somebody post a good tp set for /Sam and /war please. Noting I have all gear besides Ebody and the limbus body with Stp. Would be greatly appreciated, looked somewhat but I didn't see anything that fit what I was asking.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-03-21 17:12:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Make the Caladbolg for fun, use OAT once you've done a few torcleavers and put it on a mannequin in your MH :P
Pretty sure that's what everybody else does, unless they take it to 99!
[+]
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-03-21 17:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
unless they take it to 99!
At which point you could have gotten the superior 99 Ragnarok instead.
[+]
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-03-21 17:24:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hotkarl said: »
The sets on here are kind of out dated so I'm gonna bump it. Basically I'm an OAT drk and in the process of making a 90 calad for my own comparisons. Can somebody post a good tp set for /Sam and /war please. Noting I have all gear besides Ebody and the limbus body with Stp. Would be greatly appreciated, looked somewhat but I didn't see anything that fit what I was asking.
Normally for OAT /WAR, here's this:
ItemSet 272243

with /SAM, you'll be swapping in Bale+2 Hands and Ada/Armadaberk with STP+ Augments on it.

But since you don't have those bodies, I would maybe suggest Aurum/Bale+2 for /WAR & Ace's Mail/Ogier's for /SAM. (If anyone else could think of anything better, would be much appreciated!)
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2013-03-21 17:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I already have a nice 5 hit oat , was lookin for the 2 to sets for when using calad. That low delay is kinda annoying. After reading my post I see I didn't specify, my bad >.<
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-03-21 17:54:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Think you're forced to 7hit with Cala, otherwise too much sacrifice.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-03-21 18:16:08
Link | Quote | Reply

something like this?

cala/rose/hagneia
phorcys/mala/brutal/kokou
enif/phorcys/tyrant/rajas
atheling/goading/phorcys/huginn

May have the store tp a bit off, I'm tired and tried to go by memory <.<
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2013-03-21 18:47:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn, was hoping for 6 hit. Ty
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-03-21 18:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply

7-hit is your best option with Caladbolg. Stack on just enough stp to maintain 7 hit, then toss in att/acc/DA/TA/QA as desired.

With a 7 hit, you also get more out of the ODD AM than you would a 6 hit, which *should* increase your overall DPS.
 Cerberus.Neojuggernaut
By Cerberus.Neojuggernaut 2013-03-21 19:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Drk/Sam Caladbolg can get a 6 hit with relatively easy to access gears. However, you have to Torcleaver in Phorcys pants :/

/Sam TP
ItemSet 272716

/Sam Torcleaver
ItemSet 268620
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-03-21 19:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Caladbolg tp sets and Ragnarok tp sets are going to be practically identical since they have, for all intents and purposes, the same delay.

For /War, you should be shooting for 7-hit, and /Sam should be 6-hit.
 Phoenix.Sonoske
Server: Phoenix
user: Sonoske
By Phoenix.Sonoske 2013-03-21 19:25:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Just throwing this out there that TP set keeps a 6-hit /sam without having WS in the Hagneia Stone. Can also swap out phorcys dirs for Rajas interms of Stp.
 Cerberus.Neojuggernaut
By Cerberus.Neojuggernaut 2013-03-21 19:34:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah true, for some reason never really thought to do that lol. By the way, forgot to say my Armadaberk only has +5 stp as well T_T
 Phoenix.Sonoske
user: Sonoske
By Phoenix.Sonoske 2013-03-21 19:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats still plenty will give you the exact Stp amount. I did my math using 6Stp since thats what I have and it had 1Stp overflow assuming WS in Rajas/Rose/Brutal while /SAM.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-03-21 19:43:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Phorcys Dirs is one of your better Torcleaver pants to begin with. I'd say they were roughly on par with Ogier's, although Ogier's should pull ahead slightly because of that ws+3%.

I passed on using an apathy gorget for torc because of the high DA value i had acrued for myself in my set - optimally i would have loved to use Tjukurppa Medal (STR+6 VIT+6) for the fSTR for physical ws.

I was also poor, and couldn't afford a hagnaiea Stone, so i used a bomb core.

Before i had Phorcys Korazin, i also used Ares Cuirass because of the STR/VIT and attack+24
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2013-03-21 21:42:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks all for the input and gear sets ^^
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2013-03-22 23:40:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzacoatl said: »
Ragnarok.Hotkarl said: »
Normally for OAT /WAR, here's this:
ItemSet 272243

with /SAM, you'll be swapping in Bale+2 Hands and Ada/Armadaberk with STP+ Augments on it.

But since you don't have those bodies, I would maybe suggest Aurum/Bale+2 for /WAR & Ace's Mail/Ogier's for /SAM. (If anyone else could think of anything better, would be much appreciated!)
Ace's Mail and Tactical Mantle are the step before Murzim+Letalis.

Hotkarl, 5-hit OAT will destroy 90 Calad anywhere but Voidwatch, which is about five days away from being a dead event. Can't even recommend making a 90 Masa instead because it barely competes with Kanto. This is why I love Mala jobs though.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
user: Tsuko
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-03-23 00:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Raelia, doesn't DA magian typically outperform OAT? I swore I had it coming out ahead in most situations
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2013-03-23 01:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll humor you and throw it in my OAT spreadsheet which runs a 240/60 Souleater split, which is one thing you might have been missing.

Ig-Alima, Nominal haste:
DA - 215
OAT - 219

Fodder, Nominal:
DA - 428
OAT - 432

Ig-Alima, Capped haste:
DA - 367
OAT - 369

Fodder, Capped:
DA - 686
OAT - 684

I just threw it in my OAT spreadsheet for 5-hit, not changing gear between situations or anything (OAT 5-hit tends to be wide-ranging anyway). Some silly-billy multihit build is probably why you had it coming out on top. It comes out ahead 'sometimes' but never by much. There could be some magical middle ground where it benefits more from Mala and whatnot, but I highly doubt it. They're functionally similar enough to have the same gearing tendencies I'm sure.

Also, adding things I usually leave off, like Boost STR, almost universally benefits OAT. Even if you start throwing vanilla-biased silliness like +40 Save TP (read: Voidwatch) they stay within 1% of each other.

So not only does it not really beat OAT, however marginally when it does, DA Fulgurante costs more (50 extra Sand and Mirrors) without the added applications for newish players like /DNC solo Dynamis.

I can see it plausibly pulling ahead with /SAM, but then you're not on hard targets (OAT wins just by using Aggressor) and we can start talking about 'he who WSes first tends to win' and whatnot. Much more nebulous this all becomes.

Plus, when (if? I don't wanna say 'if' because the job will be ***without it) Rune Fencer is put on magian trials and just not Calabolg, you'll want OAT for their magical on-hit damage.

The DA sword is interesting, though. Thanks for bringing it up. A high mod multihit WS does make it more viable than other DA weapons tend to be.