Highly annoying glitch
First Page 2
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rahziela
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2012-01-22 00:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanted to see if this happened to anyone else. I encountered a glitch that pretty much ended my run in Bastok.

It's common knowledge that Quadav aggro sound. Well, I ran into some Quadavs that could see me. I purposely used oil to avoid having to use Jig over and over (which can be very dangerous in Bastok's NE corner).

At this point, I have 4/5 TEs, to include the one standing next to the MNK NM. I am regrouping after that fight to go for the last one on the ground level of the NE end. After running past half a zone worth of mobs without any issue, and paying close attention not to get near any NQ stones since I know those are sight, I get to the TE stone only to get jumped by two NIN class Quadavs.

Anyone that has been there knows that if you die in that NE corner, you're pretty much done for the night. It's nigh impossible to get up and get Sneak/Oil/Jig up fast enough to avoid any aggro in that tight, packed in space.

Inb4POIDH

Sylph.Zohnax
Server: Sylph
user: Baelfael
By Sylph.Zohnax 2012-01-22 00:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you run in front of a statue? 'Cause those aggro sight and link the Quadavs.
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2012-01-22 00:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Jackieolivas said: »
After running past half a zone worth of mobs without any issue, and paying close attention not to get near any NQ stones since I know those are sight, I get to the TE stone only to get jumped by two NIN class Quadavs.

No statues.
 Sylph.Zohnax
Server: Sylph
user: Baelfael
By Sylph.Zohnax 2012-01-22 00:44:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Were you going over a bridge or something? Sometimes they can be a little aggro-prone to whatever is below.
If not that, I wouldn't say that Dyna zones are without fault now-a-days. Like Impalers in Sandy 2hr'ing but no Wyverns show up or they show up across the screen and then despawn immediately.
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2012-01-22 00:47:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope. I was on the ground floor, and nothing was near me but the 2 NINs and a BRD. Of course some of their friends quickly joined in. And we all know how sound aggro works... Domino effect.

And I've seen other glitches in other zones also. Like a dead mob in the same place (targetable, but couldn't engage) in Bubu for like 4 straight days. I even saw a return of the old school "Jeuno Shuffle" with the Gobbies not too long ago.
 Leviathan.Tribalprophet
By Leviathan.Tribalprophet 2012-01-22 00:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had it happen to me once, months ago. I was running past the west side of the AH in bastok, going for the 2nd TE. Suddenly a few of the quads turned and became aggressive to me even though I had sneak up.

It was one of those things where I assumed I must have ran by a statue and just missed dodging it, but I swore I didn't see one. It just seemed too far-fetched for normal mobs to either aggro by sight or else become true-sound for some reason. It only happened that one time, so I used powders for a bit until I decided to go with just sneak again.
 Phoenix.Bomber
Server: Phoenix
user: Bomber
By Phoenix.Bomber 2012-01-22 01:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

In your screenshot warning of it wearing off only shows once ..maybe you lagged and didnt get the rest of warnings and it wore off that jig is pretty damn weak ..
 Ragnarok.Baconchips
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Baconchips 2012-01-22 01:02:43
Link | Quote | Reply

What you probably did is run past a statue that was inside one of the stairwells.
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2012-01-22 01:04:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Directly below that, is that Sneak from Jig wearing off. And further down is me using oil to put it back up.
 Ragnarok.Baconchips
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Baconchips 2012-01-22 01:04:49
Link | Quote | Reply

actually i can tell you exactly what happened. you use a reraise. you gain the effect of reraise. you use a pot of silent oil. you never gained the effect. You most likely started running pre-maturely and the oil didn't actually get used..
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2012-01-22 01:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Baconchips said: »
What you probably did is run past a statue that was inside one of the stairwells.

After running past half a zone worth of mobs without any issue, and paying close attention not to get near any NQ stones since I know those are sight, I get to the TE stone only to get jumped by two NIN class Quadavs.

No statues.
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2012-01-22 01:06:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Baconchips said: »
actually i can tell you exactly what happened. you use a reraise. you gain the effect of reraise. you use a pot of silent oil. you never gained the effect. You most likely started running pre-maturely and the oil didn't actually get used..

You can see the Sneak wearing off when I get attacked...

And the time stamp has 17 seconds between the RR and Oil being used. Plenty of time.
 Leviathan.Tribalprophet
By Leviathan.Tribalprophet 2012-01-22 01:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

If you try to use a silent oil right after using a reraise earring, you get a message saying "the item failed to activate" or something.

It's probably something weird like that wyvern that's been dead in Valkurm for the past 5 months (is it still dead by the oasis?). The zones have the odd bug (and not just dippers) in them it seems.

Best part about that dead wyvern is fighting the goblin drg nearby. After a few hits, he uses Call Wyvern... and nothing happens.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-01-22 01:27:43
Link | Quote | Reply

You aggro'd a statue dude, end of story. They aggro from bottom to top, top to bottom, whatever. Not sure why you're so convinced that you didn't aggro one, when you can't even see them up above sometimes. I've died from not having invisible up twice in that zone, and I never saw a statue aggro.

Moral of the story: sneak + invisible always.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Pyroelf
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Pyroelf
By Quetzalcoatl.Pyroelf 2012-01-22 01:57:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Always on the bottom one I play it safe and run sneak/vis and never have the problem. However, I noticed when you got mobs above/below things work REAL screwy.

This game is glitchy as *** and is prone to bugs.
***, I notice quite a few bugs where mobs don't despawn when they obviously should and just chain agro instead...
 Fenrir.Demomo
Server: Fenrir
user: Skyline
By Fenrir.Demomo 2012-01-22 02:07:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Only thing that could explain it based on that SS is the Icon saw you, as the first mob that hit you was a bard, and it had just given the Icon minuet, meaning it wouldn't cast on aggro, it would just run up and smack you. But dynamis zones are screwey/laggy/sometimes broken so who knows. S/I always to be safe.

Edit: Misread, the whm had just buffed the statue after the bard played songs, still possible that the Icon is what saw you and the bard ran up :x
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-01-22 02:30:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanted to see if this happened to anyone else. I encountered a glitch that pretty much ended my run in Bastok.
It's very rare but, in any Dynamis involving Quadav, there is a risk that some of them are indeed glitched. As in, they are true sound.

I had it happen in Bastok and Qufim and there is no question regarding any aggro or Sneak/Invis duration and what not. It's a known issue actually and, given the situation (it's a glitch after the fix that happened with Quadavs mobs, including statues which can be true sound too), will never be fixed.

The solution is to always consider Quadavs dangerous and adapt, or to simply always sac them. Though as BST, as long as it's not Bastok, you are fine.
 Odin.Calipso
Server: Odin
user: Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2012-01-22 02:48:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Dyna mobs can see/hear you from other levels, and through walls at times. Literally dozens of times I've gotten agro from above/below in every city zone (Jeuno and Sandy being the worst, but any area behind the ah where all the bridges in Bastok is pretty deadly too). It's gotten to the point where I'll avoid any multi-levels like the plague if I have to do a city :p

Likely a stat on another level just saw you and stuff started linking with it. I've done dyna nearly every day since the change and never had anything agro me when it shouldn't have. Not saying it can't happen, but if you're certain a stat didn't see you, might wanna submit a bug report. If it was some sort of true-hearing glitch, hopefully they'll look into it and it won't cost you another dyna run :(
 Fenrir.Minjo
Server: Fenrir
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-01-22 03:45:06
Link | Quote | Reply

"I'm positive I didn't aggro blahblahblah" isn't new. You simply don't notice it sometimes. People "didn't aggro anything" for years in Ule, only to have the Taurus they did aggro link with half the mountain and get them killed.

Just be a tad more careful, or use invisible.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kitheren
user: Kitheren
By Leviathan.Kitheren 2012-01-22 03:52:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I had one do that one of my first Bastok runs after the new changes. Ran past a Ninja with sneak on and boom, aggro and death. But as to why, no idea how or what happened. Just kinda laughed it off.
 Carbuncle.Funsam
Server: Carbuncle
user: funsam
By Carbuncle.Funsam 2012-01-22 04:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Was the quad wearing glasses? if that the case better eyesight & it seen ya.........
By Ariaum 2012-01-22 04:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Happens with quads in qufim too. Not sure if it's a glitch or just is that way from when they changed them all from true sight/sound mobs.
 Bismarck.Patrik
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2012-01-22 04:52:06
Link | Quote | Reply

this may be a bit different but its similar to glitchiness in new dynamis. in qufim once i ended up aggroing about 5 yags (my fault, nothing strange about it) and decided instead of dealing with them id run as far as i could to try to lose aggro. ran to entrance to jeuno and lost all but one then killed it. then i go back to getting TE. i get last one and farm nightmares for about an hour, suddenly one of the yags i aggroed way back then ran into view from far off to where i was looking. then ran all the way to me and continued attacking. I'm sure it was the one i aggroed cause its HP was where i left it >.> and i watched the damn thing run into view and run toward me.

so moral of the story, aggro behavior in new dynamis might be a bit buggy in general and have random derp moments. doesn't seem very common though, but similar stories have happened to me at least a few times
By Fupafighters 2012-01-22 06:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Bomber said: »
In your screenshot warning of it wearing off only shows once ..maybe you lagged and didnt get the rest of warnings and it wore off that jig is pretty damn weak ..
legit thats what happened lol. If ya seeing dead mobs not going away...thats lag. Its not a glitch lol, its your internet.
 Odin.Almont
Server: Odin
user: Almont
By Odin.Almont 2012-01-22 07:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fupafighters said: »
legit thats what happened lol.

Except it's not. She already pointed out that the SS shows the Sneak effect wearing when the BRD first dealt damage to her.

Look at the timestamps:
"The effect of sneak is about to wear off" is at [22:48:27];
"Jackieolivas's sneak effect wears off" occurs ~6 min later at [22:54:45].
If that aggro had happened within like a min I'd be inclined to agree it was lag, but not with that kind of timeframe.

It's definitely odd. I haven't had anything similar happen in that zone, but I also haven't been into Dyna-Bastok for ages now. That corner has always been a sh*tstorm in potentia since the Dyna changes, though.
By Zeyphr 2012-01-22 07:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Almont said: »
Fupafighters said: »
legit thats what happened lol.

Except it's not. She already pointed out that the SS shows the Sneak effect wearing when the BRD first dealt damage to her.

Look at the timestamps:
"The effect of sneak is about to wear off" is at [22:48:27];
"Jackieolivas's sneak effect wears off" occurs ~6 min later at [22:54:45].
If that aggro had happened within like a min I'd be inclined to agree it was lag, but not with that kind of timeframe.

It's definitely odd. I haven't had anything similar happen in that zone, but I also haven't been into Dyna-Bastok for ages now. That corner has always been a sh*tstorm in potentia since the Dyna changes, though.

The sneak wore off due to the NIN's casting poison if i'm not mistaken, not the BRD's melee attack. The NIN's just forced the link to happen as well as the BRD's
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2012-01-22 08:12:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure a "glitch" occurred here.

Bastok has a couple of quirky aggro areas, especially the bi-level area behind the Auction House and in the vicinity of the Alchemy Guild.

You're dealing with a real clusterf*ck of enemies, and among all the regular Quadavs, you gotta deal with a few "statue" type mobs and a couple of NM's in the area, coming from both levels of the landscape.

I don't know if you were just trying to save Gil, or just trying to be tricksy ... but when you're in a situation like that, you really need to have Sneak and Invisible up, even though everyone knows regular Quadav are sound-aggressive only. The reason one can't afford to "cut corners" in that part of Bastok is (as I'm sure you found out!) once you aggro anything ... even just one mob, even if you never saw it (below/above/behind you, or behind a thin wall) ... you're gonna have dozens of mobs swarming you via linking behaviors.

Believe it or not, if this happens, and you're on THF, you still have a prayer, if you have Reraise up. If you're quick on the draw and don't lag, you can pop Perfect Dodge and Flee and high-tail it all the way back to the entrance of the zone (near the Mog House). By the time you get there, some of the original aggro will have given-up and de-spawned. You still probably won't survive the onslaught from the ones who manage to chase you all the way home ... but if croak near the Mog House and Reraise, you'll be ok!
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2012-01-22 08:28:21
Link | Quote | Reply

One time I killed the Goblin Statue in Qufim Island and it didn't drop the KI. It was the only time I ever used Lamb Chop to kill a TE. So I don't know if it was because of that or just coincidence that it happened when I used that. I had to wait for it to pop again to get that TE. Now I don't use pet TP moves to kill TEs lol.
First Page 2