users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Q? regarding double/triple att on thf
Q? regarding double/triple att on thf
 Sylph.Citrelautame
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2012-01-04 05:39:48
Link | Quote | Reply

since the lv 95 update i have been tanking almost all abyssea NM's as thf/war for faster kills and mainly just blood tanking. My question is this: currently my tp phase consists of 13% double attack and 13% triple attack (dont quote me game is turned off so trying to remember all my gears stats lol) triple attack is of course fully meritted. at which point if ever does a str/att atma out weigh apoc? does the triple attack bonus from it start becoming less vauable once u have such a large amount of double/triple attack as it is? or maybe Saugine Scythe atma for the crits?
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2012-01-04 05:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

It never does.

Str does relatively little and you should already have enough attack from berserk/red curry buns.
By Ariaum 2012-01-04 05:51:41
Link | Quote | Reply

RR/SS/Apoc <3
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2012-01-04 06:40:08
Link | Quote | Reply

hmm never use SS in place of GH, ill put in SS in place of apoc once in awhile if i need the 3k+ hp but thats about it lol, thx for the feed back, i dont have a parser or i woulda tested some things myself eyeball apoc seems to still win but i can def tell less of a differance than i use to be able to
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2012-01-04 06:56:46
Link | Quote | Reply

On a semi-related note, how does /WAR stack up against /NIN in terms of damage?

Does the added Dual Wield from /NIN compare to the Attack/DA that /WAR gives? I usually use my THF for soloing light exp in Abyssea and /NIN out of habit.
 Bismarck.Luces
By Bismarck.Luces 2012-01-04 07:06:09
Link | Quote | Reply

thf has dw3 now at 99, or it should at least, which makes it the same dw as /nin making war stronger.
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2012-01-04 07:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

i wish i could parse but ya /war slaughters /nin, nin really doesnt add any damage bonus at all any more, the added attack and DA helps alot with ws consistantcy too ive noticed, my lows are drasticly higher than /nin over all, spikes dont seem to vary alot tho (besides the zerk/warcry boost which is very noticable), like i said, eyeball but i ws more often for higher numbers even w/o zerk up
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2012-01-04 08:32:33
Link | Quote | Reply

You mean to say that higher str/atk makes your WS stronger? I suppose that could be true...
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2012-01-04 08:34:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Luces said: »
thf has dw3 now at 99, or it should at least, which makes it the same dw as /nin making war stronger.

Oh yeah, forgot it was 99 now >_>; I took a bit of a break during the 99 update and I'm still 95 XD

Thanks guys XD
 Leviathan.Bladefury
Server: Leviathan
user: Bladefury
By Leviathan.Bladefury 2012-01-04 10:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Luces said: »

Has anyone tested if THF gets DW3 natively now by chance? I hadn't even thought of it until I read your post... now I'm curious because that would easily change my sub choice away from /NIN now.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2012-01-04 10:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

http://bg-wiki.com/bg/Thief

there u go blade. yes at lvl 98 thf gets native DW3
 Leviathan.Bladefury
user: Bladefury
By Leviathan.Bladefury 2012-01-04 10:50:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow... took about a month off from playing the game due to work and travel and didn't look at what THF got from the latest level cap... 1% more TA navitely + DW3 + another crit atk bonus... so much for /NIN for me anymore for almost all circumstances!

Thanks for the link, can't get to BG wiki from work... am at home at the moment.

Edit: boo... read into the TA more, and realized that it's just 1% more... will take it, but damn was I hoping it was another 6%
 Bismarck.Angeleus
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2012-01-04 13:59:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Citrelautame said: »
i wish i could parse but ya /war slaughters /nin, nin really doesnt add any damage bonus at all any more numbers even w/o zerk up

Are u one those players who doesn't have the appropriate gear for trick attack and sneak attack?

I have done plenty things with /nin, not even a blackmage nor a whitemage have stolen hate from me. Perhaps people just don't gear swap anymore...
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2012-01-04 14:02:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Angeleus said: »
i wish i could parse but ya /war slaughters /nin, nin really doesnt add any damage bonus at all any more numbers even w/o zerk up

Are u one those players who doesn't have the appropriate gear for trick attack and sneak attack?

I have done plenty things with /nin, not even a blackmage nor a whitemage have stolen hate from me. Perhaps people just don't gear swap anymore...

huh? i think its safe to say /war rapes /nin at 98.. unless u need shadows. which is rare unless your soloing.
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2012-01-04 14:10:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Well as misplaced as the idea may be in the post, things have actually changed to make his statement 100% true now :P

As mentioned, thf now has DW3 natively so /nin offers absolutely zero offensive buffs in any way. Its shadows and free subtle blow. Its exclusively a defensive sub now. Offense, ANYTHING else beats it that has an offensive trait. /Dnc is better just because of accuracy bonus alone techically :P

But yeah, Thf/War is now very, very strong with DW3, DA, and Bergressor so long as you dont eat dirt using it. On low def mobs even /sam can make an appearance if your acc/atk is high enough to not care about bergressor for increased WS frequency and sekka. If you ever find a non-SE resist mob, Thf/Drk can get some maddening atk speed and do the old Mnk/Drk SE Hundredfists style goin on if you have cure spam. Long story short, our sub job options for general and situational use just went from /nin ONRY to just about anything given the right situation for it.

We also have another native TA trait bringing us from 5% TA to a whopping 6% TA (pre merits). Whoo.
 Bismarck.Angeleus
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2012-01-04 15:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Phenomena said: »
i think its safe to say /war rapes /nin at 98.. unless u need shadows. which is rare unless your soloing.

I guess is safe to say /war can tank and eat couple of AM and Tier 4 and 5 spells.

DD wise /war agree.

Lakshmi.Aanalaty said: »
Thf/War is now very, very strong with DW3, DA, and Bergressor so long as you dont eat dirt using it.

As DD sure, as backup tank or main tank no thanks. In the end i know my purpose of been a THF and playing the job. If i feel the need like destroying things or out parse someone I'll be gladly to get on drg/sam war/sam sam/war drk/sam and destroy anything in my path.
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2012-01-04 16:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

No one is trying to say never /nin again or to tank /war (though with Whm in lolAbyssea infinite C6 spams, its arguable in there :P). Just that its no longer both the best raw POWA number generator AND the best defensive sub rolled into one as it has been since 75. Its a conscious choice now to be offensive or defensive.

Quote:
Thf/War is now very, very strong with DW3, DA, and Bergressor so long as you dont eat dirt using it.

That would be the part that implies the stuff about tanking/hate bouncing/MP conservation/Blinkable evil AOEs/situational use your brain stuff :P
 Bismarck.Angeleus
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2012-01-04 16:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aanalaty said: »
No one is trying to say never /nin again or to tank /war (though with Whm in lolAbyssea infinite C6 spams, its arguable in there :P). Just that its no longer both the best raw POWA number generator AND the best defensive sub rolled into one as it has been since 75. Its a conscious choice now to be offensive or defensive.

Quote:

That would be the part that implies the stuff about tanking/hate bouncing/MP conservation/Blinkable evil AOEs/situational use your brain stuff :P

Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2012-01-04 17:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

i was merely pointing out what he was and that u failed to notice. /war gives offensive benefits where /nin doesnt anymore. the question is what the hell did your response have to do with what he pointed out? its facts. /nin adds no dmg bonus... so idk why u bolded that. and gear swaps? what does that have to do with the fact that /war > for offense then /nin?
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-01-04 18:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I hang out with crazy ones that open with Thunder V.

Hate you guys so much sometimes.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Angeleus
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2012-01-04 19:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
what the hell kindof black mages do you hang out with

People who have common sense... Yes, it's rare to find those individuals.

Explaining myself on people who doesn't seem to care on what i have to say.

I see.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-01-04 20:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
what the hell kindof black mages do you hang out with

People who have common sense... Yes, it's rare to find those individuals.

Explaining myself on people who doesn't seem to care on what i have to say.

I see.

How have you not been banned yet? Serious question. You come in to this thread, act like an idiot, and finish up with being an ***.
[+]
 Sylph.Gredival
user: Gredival
By Sylph.Gredival 2012-01-05 03:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

As DD sure, as backup tank or main tank no thanks. In the end i know my purpose of been a THF and playing the job. If i feel the need like destroying things or out parse someone I'll be gladly to get on drg/sam war/sam sam/war drk/sam and destroy anything in my path.

You don't think the role of THF is to do damage, but to tank. But how exactly do you think THF tanks? THF does not have natural hate generation capacity besides its DPS (and I guess Collab/Accomplice), so the only way for it to effectively tank is through damage.

There's only two sorts of situations when it comes to tanking. A) where it's a primary concern in which case you need dedicated and stable hate (i.e. you need a PLD, or a NIN on easier stuff) and B) where it's a secondary concern and you only need to make sure that it doesn't go rape the mages (i.e. any melee will suffice)

The vast majority of content is in group B these days because of various crutches.
By Kodii 2012-01-08 21:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ariaum said: »
RR/SS/Apoc <3
Try RR Apoc and Gnarled horn, for the extra eva, crit rate, and counter
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-01-08 21:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I have trouble believing THF's evade rate isn't capped fulltime with TP gear in Abyssea at 99 without GH.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2012-01-08 22:05:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I like GH more for the counter, subtle blow (50 agi), and 20% crit rate making evis near 100% than the eva. Thats just a bonus.