2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Gear Upgrade Priority
Gear Upgrade Priority
First Page 2
By Fitali 2011-12-28 00:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

So... This is my gear. That's what I use for TPing... WSing... everything. I switch in a Thief's Knife whenever it is needed.

I'm new to Thf and semi new to endgame.

I'm in need of a little help with a pathway to upgrading my gear and what I should prioritize first. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I just got access to dynamis, should I go for assassin's armlets first?

Should I finish WoTG missions for Brutal Earring + Rajas? I'm currently on 5-3 I think.

Should I finish zone bosses and Caturae and kill shinryu for atma + dagger+ belt?

Should I attempt to +2 to gear first?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. I feel like I have a ton to do and don't know where to start.
By Ariaum 2011-12-28 00:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

CoP for rajas not wings, and most missions not really soloable so I'd go with whats easiest first and worry about the things you need help with after. Shin is easy to get to and win and it's a good start, if you have ppl that will help missions are good too. If you want to shout or you have ppl that will help w/ seals/+2. Shouldn't take more than a few days if you really work at it
 Bahamut.Foxxy
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Foxxy
By Bahamut.Foxxy 2011-12-28 00:45:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Well first I would work on capping haste, get a bullwhip or twilight belt, and some Ballerines. That would put you at 21%, so you need another 5 so AF3+2 body would do that, Dusk gloves in the mean time.

Brutal/Rajas from CoP not WotG are amazing for THF.

Suppa from DM in Zilert

And yes relic hands+2/af3+2 feet for max TH otherwise people will mostly just want someone else on thf
 Bismarck.Sylow
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sylow 2011-12-28 00:45:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Brutal and Rajas are like in the bare minimum acceptable TP set for pretty much every melee.

If you haven't finished CoP, you should go do it now.
 Bismarck.Eburo
user: Stephano
By Bismarck.Eburo 2011-12-28 00:56:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I think your major priorities first off, based on their time/ease to get, are:

Ballerines (Drops from Durinn, 100% drop. Mostly everyone has these, so just ask someone farming jewels of voyage)
Raider's Vest +1 (Kill Shaula, the scorpion in Abyssea - Altepa for seals. Very easy)
Raider's Bonnet +2 (I suggest finding someone killing Itzpapalotl for Ukon/*** and ask for stones)

Yeah Rajas Ring/Brutal earring are crucial to any melee job, but it's probably best to take out the easier/quicker stuff first. Get more bang for your buck then get those two items.
By Fitali 2011-12-28 00:57:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes sorry CoP is what I meant not WoTG. So it looks like that is my #1 priority, and capping haste comes in right after that.

Thank you everyone for your input.
By Shirukenu 2011-12-28 01:07:48
Link | Quote | Reply

As a THF people will mostly expect you to bring the highest tier of TH to the table as soon as possible. I recommend you get your Assassins Armlets as soon as possible, and upgrade your Raider's Poulaines.

This is my base TP set, the Thokcha is a Dex based one. I plan on upgrading the feet as soon as I can.

This is my Evisceration Set, the legs have Critical Hit rate +4%. I find that the light Gorget works about just as well as my Love Torque because it's multi hit. I need to upgrade my feet here as well. :<

This is my Evasion Set. I use it when Ive got too many mobs on my tail mostly, it's also the base of my casting set when I'm /nin as the Mirke has Evasion and Fast Cast. I -could- make it even more evasion oriented but I already have too many jobs worth of equipment to fill so I can't be bothered.

The twilight dagger is nice but to be honest if I didn't have my twashtar I'd probably have two agi daggers and focus on Extenterator. The delay/damage ratio on the Thokcha is pretty spanky, the +40 evasion and the -20 accuracy you can place on an enemy is amazing for tanking. Brutal earring adds +5% Double Attack. Any self respecting melee DD will have it on during TP and WS's. Get a twilight belt, you'll love it. I use the atheling mantle instead of the cavaros mantle for my WS because the +20 attack makes a difference for all five hits, and the additional chance of double attack stacked up from Brutal, Twilight Belt and Atheling makes it go off pretty often.
By Fitali 2011-12-28 01:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Awesome Thank you so much everyone for your help.
 Ragnarok.Gunit
Server: Ragnarok
user: Gunit
By Ragnarok.Gunit 2011-12-28 01:58:36
Link | Quote | Reply

WS in Rancor Collar or mantle.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-12-28 02:07:37
Link | Quote | Reply

First priority: TH+ gear (If you are not there for TH, you might as well be on a better DD job)
Second: cap haste/start gear swapping. You need WS sets.
Third: Start moving gear around and upgrading to optimize sets. Get an evasion set as well.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Chronosphere
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Chronosphere 2011-12-28 02:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Rancor Collar/Cuch Belt/Heca Feet+1(Kacura +1 I suppose too)/ATK earring for Evisceration
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-12-28 02:49:49
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest, as a THF, your AF3 gear will cover most of your basic needs. I'd upgrade those to +2, try to acquire some type of Haste+ belt item, and be working on your CoP missions in the meantime. A while back S-E removed the level caps from the CoP missions, so I assume most, if not all, of them are a joke now @ level 99. Just have to invest the time. CoP is an awesome storyline too, from what I recall (from years ago), so you might enjoy that.
[+]
By Fitali 2011-12-28 03:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah the story for CoP I have really enjoyed so far, just the running around sucks. But yeah I think I have a better idea of where to go. Thanks everyone.

Anymore tips are always welcome :)
Server: Odin
By Odin.Hitoseijuro 2011-12-28 03:09:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Fitali said: »
So... This is my gear. That's what I use for TPing... WSing... everything. I switch in a Thief's Knife whenever it is needed. I'm new to Thf and semi new to endgame. I'm in need of a little help with a pathway to upgrading my gear and what I should prioritize first. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I just got access to dynamis, should I go for assassin's armlets first? Should I finish WoTG missions for Brutal Earring + Rajas? I'm currently on 5-3 I think. Should I finish zone bosses and Caturae and kill shinryu for atma + dagger+ belt? Should I attempt to +2 to gear first? Any and all input is greatly appreciated. I feel like I have a ton to do and don't know where to start.

As far as what to improve first, Id recommend this:
Raiders hands +2 >> Raiders hood +2 >> Twilight belt(any belt with haste for sub) >> Raiders body +2 >> Raiders feet +2 >> Supp >> PCC >> Epony >> Brutal >> Rajas

Hands/head have a good chunk of att/acc/haste combination between them.
 Cerberus.Pukushu
Server: Cerberus
user: pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2011-12-28 03:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

One thing that wasnt mentioned is atma. If you plan on spending much time in Abyssea, you will need atma more than any particular piece of gear. If you dont have these they should be your #1 priority. Razed Ruins, Gnarled Horn and then I would strongly suggest working on getting to Shinryu for Atma of the Apocalypse.

By getting to Shinryu you not only get twilight belt, but 3rd atma, AoA and 200k brews. This is the biggest increase for your time. Those 3 atma will make up (generally) what you may lack in gear for the moment. Conversely no amount of gear will make up for not having them.

Next would be capping haste. Try to get the +2 version of the AF3.

an upgrade for offhand dagger would be tripplus which you can probably get by finding a party killing Isgebind. Offer to pop it for them and ask to get the dagger (you probably have the KI from xp). It might take a couple times to find a group willing to do it for you, but its a good dagger.

Also skip Ballerines. Get dusk +1. With +2 head, body, legs and twilight belt you only need 3 haste for cap and dusk +1 is a 10 attack advantage. If you want something to hold you over till you get +2 everything and it doesnt take much time away from getting +2 then go for it, but its not something to have in your target set.

Finally the other universally useful items are CoP ring/earring, suppa and also getting all of the abyssites of merit/furtherance.
By Fitali 2011-12-28 03:29:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pukushu said: »
One thing that wasnt mentioned is atma. If you plan on spending much time in Abyssea, you will need atma more than any particular piece of gear. If you dont have these they should be your #1 priority. Razed Ruins, Gnarled Horn and then I would strongly suggest working on getting to Shinryu for Atma of the Apocalypse.

By getting to Shinryu you not only get twilight belt, but 3rd atma, AoA and 200k brews. This is the biggest increase for your time. Those 3 atma will make up (generally) what you may lack in gear for the moment. Conversely no amount of gear will make up for not having them.

an upgrade for offhand dagger would be tripplus which you can probably get by finding a party killing Isgebind. Offer to pop it for them and ask to get the dagger (you probably have the KI from xp). It might take a couple times to find a group willing to do it for you, but its a good dagger.

Also skip Ballerines. Get dusk +1. With +2 head, body, legs and twilight belt you only need 3 haste for cap and dusk +1 is a 10 attack advantage. If you want something to hold you over till you get +2 everything and it doesnt take much time away from getting +2 then go for it, but its not something to have in your target set.

Finally the other universally useful items are CoP ring/earring, suppa and also getting all of the abyssites of merit/furtherance.

Awesome advice thank you. Yeah I knew atmas were gonna be #1 priority so I made sure to get RR/VV/GH as fast as possible.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-12-28 03:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Hitoseijuro said: »
Raiders hands +2 >> Raiders hood +2 >> Twilight belt(any belt with haste for sub) >> Raiders body +2 >> Raiders feet +2 >> Supp >> PCC >> Epony >> Brutal >> Rajas

I'm definitely not a THF, but is Peacock Charm still seriously considered endgame equipment for THF?

What about a Rancor Collar, Agasayas Collar, or Love Torque?

I guess the Peacock Charm is cheaper for similar, but not-quite-as-good results.
[+]
 Sylph.Siccmade
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Siccmade 2011-12-28 03:58:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Based off whats cited in the OP (and a Suppa), you know what you need for a solid foundation
and knowing really is half the battle.

As far as priorities, there have been many good orders and gear sets listed already.
Aside from that my advice to get things done is to solo any and everything you can
while keeping this website's /shout feature open and join all that pertain to your goals.

Because you need gears and missions/quests from all over the game,
you can get ***done while you get ***done.

If you do this already and/or have a kickass LS/friends to get things done for you, keep on keepin' on and gl.
 Cerberus.Pukushu
Server: Cerberus
user: pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2011-12-28 04:02:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Fitali said: »
Cerberus.Pukushu said: »

Awesome advice thank you. Yeah I knew atmas were gonna be #1 priority so I made sure to get RR/VV/GH as fast as possible.

dont forget abyssite of furtherance +10 to all attributes and abyssite of merit +10% hp. both are universal upgrades for all jobs. And almost anytime you can stick 10 of any one attribute in a slot its the best in slot. having all attributes raised is amazing.

also what Elana said about neck pieces is correct. you should aim for one of those. rancor being top in most situations, but if you are worried about the damage penalty, agasayas is a good option and probably the easiest to obtain.
[+]
 Odin.Cyprias
user: Cyprias
By Odin.Cyprias 2011-12-28 05:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said: »

I'm definitely not a THF, but is Peacock Charm still seriously considered endgame equipment for THF?

What about a Rancor Collar, Agasayas Collar, or Love Torque?

I guess the Peacock Charm is cheaper for similar, but not-quite-as-good results.
I agree. More than likely, all of the alternatives you suggested are better than PCC. Ziel charm is probably easier to get than PCC anyways if you have the blue proc.
[+]
 Sylph.Washburn
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2011-12-28 08:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Note also, that now at 98 THF has dual wield iii on its own, which is a 15% addition cut in delay for your weapons, so try and focus on haste gear first, and you can pretty mich tank anything in abyssea as /dnc, as long as your evasion is skilled up. Once you learn to thf tank ***, the gear cones fast.
By Fitali 2011-12-28 12:37:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Washburn said: »
Note also, that now at 98 THF has dual wield iii on its own, which is a 15% addition cut in delay for your weapons, so try and focus on haste gear first, and you can pretty mich tank anything in abyssea as /dnc, as long as your evasion is skilled up. Once you learn to thf tank ***, the gear cones fast.

Yeah I've been doing a lot of tanking for my seals and whatnot. I also have access to Bst/dnc with decent gear and Ducal guard atma so soloing things is an option.

I thought thf/nin was the way to go for tanking? /dnc is better? I have that sub leveled too but I never use it on thf.
 Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow 2011-12-28 12:51:59
Link | Quote | Reply

/nin has it's uses, but /dnc offers Haste Samba, Violent Flourish, and of course Curing Waltz 3. With the right atma in Abyssea, things shouldn't be hitting you much and whatever damage you do take you can get back easily
 Bahamut.Cuelebra
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Cuelebra 2011-12-28 12:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

thf/dnc for dyna processing.

THF/war for everything else.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-12-28 13:12:18
Link | Quote | Reply

If I knew how to copy my gear sets for thf, I would, lol. I recommend an Oneiros helm, if you have the means. And a Lux Puglo is a nice dagger upgrade for Evisceration as well.
 Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow 2011-12-28 13:18:50
Link | Quote | Reply

[
Sylph.Liltrouble said: »
If I knew how to copy my gear sets for thf, I would, lol. I recommend an Oneiros helm, if you have the means. And a Lux Puglo is a nice dagger upgrade for Evisceration as well.
[itemset ] ####### [/itemset ]
Instructions are listed below the input box
 Sylph.Washburn
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2011-12-28 13:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I honestly thf/dnc more than anything simply due to the fact that if you have macros set up efficienty, you can swap to ws gear, violent flourish, run behind the stunned monster, sneak attack and weapon skill, all while its stunned, and without relying on bully. Your damage output will be significantly higher. The attack boost and double attack you get from warrior are far inferior to being able to drop a monsters defense by 14% (or evasion if you so choose). And with exenterator giving an acc- effect to the monster, subbing dnc makes even more sense. I have a mandau, and i know it makes my ws numbers bigger. But you never miss if youre able to stack it with sneak attack, which means, over time... Youre far more potent.
By Odin.Hitoseijuro 2011-12-28 18:21:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said: »
As far as what to improve first, Id recommend this: Raiders hands +2 >> Raiders hood +2 >> Twilight belt(any belt with haste for sub) >> Raiders body +2 >> Raiders feet +2 >> Supp >> PCC >> Epony >> Brutal >> Rajas Hands/head have a good chunk of att/acc/haste combination between them.
I'm definitely not a THF, but is Peacock Charm still seriously considered endgame equipment for THF? What about a Rancor Collar, Agasayas Collar, or Love Torque? I guess the Peacock Charm is cheaper for similar, but not-quite-as-good results.
Hes new, so I dont expect to him to get that right away and I didnt state that was his endgame setup because raiders+2 feet is not endgame setup its only for TH/agi mod he should be tping in something else, but I agree on the Agasayas Collar, forgot about that one. It was what he should upgrade to -first-, not what his gear should look like at the end.

If he has the gil for Rancor, go for it. Agasaya is easier to get for now.
 Bismarck.Luces
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-12-28 19:04:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm using euros feet for tping but I'm thing to upgrade my relic feet and tp in haste hands for better triple atk rate and damage
First Page 2