Shield Skillups
First Page 2
 Ragnarok.Evandis
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Evandis
By Ragnarok.Evandis 2011-12-23 19:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, I am old school FFXI returning new. I had 276 shield plus full merits and shield gear. Now I am 99, and have only managed to get to 302 base shield. I have read the guides but they are mostly pre-Abyssea.

Please tell me how you guys capped your shield. Been two hours of just straight skilling up and only managed to get from 282 to 302 base.
 Pandemonium.Anookulchandra
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Anookulchandra 2011-12-23 19:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Get an Ochain.
 Quetzalcoatl.Cloudxx
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: avengerx
By Quetzalcoatl.Cloudxx 2011-12-23 19:46:50
Link | Quote | Reply

How about don't be the noob who got an Ochain to skill up.
[+]
 Cerberus.Zephr
Server: Cerberus
user: zephr
By Cerberus.Zephr 2011-12-23 19:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

PDT gear, Phalanx, gather up all the mandies at Conflux #6 in Abys-Altepa = capped in 40 minutes, maybe a bit more. Might need a WHM friend if you suck.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Evandis
user: Evandis
By Ragnarok.Evandis 2011-12-23 19:52:53
Link | Quote | Reply

How much PDT and any recommended atmas?

And I am working on my Aegis again, but would like to have a capped shield skill long before that.
 Bahamut.Sobius
Server: Bahamut
user: Sobius
By Bahamut.Sobius 2011-12-23 19:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

For reference, I capped mine near Flux 8 in Misereaux Coast. Mandies etc. Same strat; phalanx, defender, throw a taco in there if you're a bit nervous. I believe Saltena helps, but don't remember.
By Evandis 2011-12-23 19:55:27
Link | Quote | Reply

My gear probably isn't good enough yet to /WAR with all those mandies. AF3 I only have hands, legs and feet +1 right now.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2011-12-23 19:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Evandis said: »
How much PDT and any recommended atmas?

And I am working on my Aegis again, but would like to have a capped shield skill long before that.

regen atmas
stronghold/mounted champ etc

maybe a refresh atma if u dont have a whm buddy
monstrosity
 Pandemonium.Anookulchandra
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Anookulchandra 2011-12-23 19:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Cloudxx said: »

How is getting an ochain to skill up shield noob? It's being pro going out of your way to get it to skill up on mandies. While you are building your relic shield aegis.
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-12-23 19:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sub war is useful for defender but mostly for aggressor, evasion down can help alot, 95-99 cap shield took me about 20mins one small pull then a 2nd bigger one where they died to reprisal slowly. Noticeable increase in skill ups with aggressor up obviously as they hardly ever miss.
By darkscion0 2011-12-26 09:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

First grab a Size 1 buckler. Sub /DNC. Grab Regen/Regain atmas. Go to Abyssea Tahrongi. Round up about 7-8 Mandies around flux 7 (I think). Position them so that all but one are in front of you. Attack the one that's left off to the side so you can't see it so you don't kill them.

Optional, if using windower:
type:
//alias healloop input /ja "Curing Waltz III <me>; wait 15; input //healloop

thento start the loop:
//healloop

Go to sleep.
 Bahamut.Novadragon
By Bahamut.Novadragon 2011-12-26 09:24:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Anookulchandra said: »

How is getting an ochain to skill up shield noob? It's being pro going out of your way to get it to skill up on mandies. While you are building your relic shield aegis.

Kinda wasted if getting an Ochain for mostly skill ups. Aegis is already coming to outparse Ochain by any advantages.
 Asura.Lokimaru
Server: Asura
user: Rocketpop
By Asura.Lokimaru 2011-12-26 10:27:41
Link | Quote | Reply

darkscion0 said: »
First grab a Size 1 buckler. Sub /DNC. Grab Regen/Regain atmas. Go to Abyssea Tahrongi. Round up about 7-8 Mandies around flux 7 (I think). Position them so that all but one are in front of you. Attack the one that's left off to the side so you can't see it so you don't kill them.

Optional, if using windower:
type:
//alias healloop input /ja "Curing Waltz III <me>; wait 15; input //healloop

thento start the loop:
//healloop

Go to sleep.
Iratham/running out of time would both end this.
[+]
 Fenrir.Yuriki
Server: Fenrir
user: Yuriki
By Fenrir.Yuriki 2011-12-26 11:20:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I went PLD/DNC with Mounted Champion, Stronghold, and Vicissitude. Also used a Bloom Buckler and Adaman Barbuta with 3 Regen on it. Gathered about 8-10 Mandies at flux 8 in Abyssea - Misa. Gathered them together so they were all in front of me and swung at them with a VERY low level club (at the time I also had very low club skill so I almost never hit). Just CWIII every 15-20 seconds or so and that's about it. You should get enough TP to do so with blocking and getting hit. Took me about 3-4 rounds of this (2 hrs each) to cap shield from around 200ish.

Didn't bother with protect or phalanx since I was just getting annoyed with trying to cast it while being attacked by all of the mobs. I really didn't need it. I had about 23% PDT and no food.

If you're cool and have all of your weps skilled then you should use a level 1 wep to make sure you don't kill them too quickly. If your mob gets low on HP just switch target over to the next one.

I know some people already posted similar solutions but I know this worked for me.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-12-26 11:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

darkscion0 said: »
Attack the one that's left off to the side so you can't see it so you don't kill them.
You don't actually have to be engaged to get shield skill ups, but that will be useful if you want parry skill ups as well.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Funond
Server: Cerberus
user: Funond
By Cerberus.Funond 2011-12-26 12:08:36
Link | Quote | Reply

As was said before: regen defense atmas, alternate reprisal and palisade. As long as your enhancing wasn't neglected before hand phalanx should knock the damage to I am guessing single / double digits. When phalanx falls, sent + ramp and you should have enough spell interrupt to reapply, if not spam it and wait for a apoc proc.
By darkscion0 2011-12-26 16:22:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lokimaru said: »
Iratham/running out of time would both end this.

Actually if you hug the mountain Iratham doesn't path there. As for running out of time, that's quite obvious. But in 2 hours I've gotten 50+ shield skill, while asleep.
 Phoenix.Wackatramp
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Wackatramp 2011-12-26 16:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Funond said: »
As was said before: regen defense atmas, alternate reprisal and palisade. As long as your enhancing wasn't neglected before hand phalanx should knock the damage to I am guessing single / double digits. When phalanx falls, sent + ramp and you should have enough spell interrupt to reapply, if not spam it and wait for a apoc proc.

This.

Noted also, go /DNC. The odd time that your spells get interrupted all to ***, you can curing waltz yourself enough to keep yourself alive until your timers are back up or until apoc procs. I had about 15 mandies banging off me. I also used a buckler, for a higher blocking rate. I had Iratham come hug me twice, which didnt end well. But by my 3rd go, I totally pulled mandies away from cleavers well off the beaten path. The hardest part after that was trying to position the little *****ers.
[+]
 Asura.Flowooo
user: FloW
By Asura.Flowooo 2012-01-10 04:40:17
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.gwcdn.com/albums/images/4f09eca389118b7f5e007ad1.jpg
 Sylph.Mesheef
Server: Sylph
user: Mesheef
By Sylph.Mesheef 2012-01-10 08:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Get yourself a decent block rate shield, get all the -PDT gear you can, grab some skill up food. Pop on some -PDT atma (if you haven't capped -PDT) /rdm go into abyssea - tahrongi fully buff with stoneskin aqualveil and phalanx, pull all the mandies you can and stand there, you will cap shield in under and hour.

Run into a corner pulling the mandies away from the path of iratham and you can just stand there til you cap or run out of time. As a pld you will be able to hold all the mandies there without an issue. No need to attack as I saw a few people state you should do. Shield will proc without being in engaged mode.
By Quiznor 2012-01-10 08:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Flowooo said: »

That deeply,deeply hurts me
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2012-01-10 08:22:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Mesheef said: »
Get yourself a decent block rate shield, ....

Highest block rate shield going: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Sipar

Know anyone hunting turtles?
By Quiznor 2012-01-10 08:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Sylph.Mesheef said: »
Get yourself a decent block rate shield, ....

Highest block rate shield going: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Sipar

Know anyone hunting turtles?

WRONG

SE fixed Sipar a while back because it was broken,not a hidden effect,was broken.
 Asura.Flowooo
user: FloW
By Asura.Flowooo 2012-01-11 02:20:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quiznor said: »
Asura.Flowooo said: »

That deeply,deeply hurts me

I'm sorry it did ; ;. Maybe for ease at mind... i do plan on making PLD good geared, i won't settle for less. So i will be investing lots of time skilling up.

Get an Ochain.

worked though ^^

also got joyeuse for faster sword skillups
By Xorn 2012-01-11 22:36:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Zephr said: »
PDT gear, Phalanx, gather up all the mandies at Conflux #6 in Abys-Altepa = capped in 40 minutes, maybe a bit more. Might need a WHM friend if you suck.

^This is the correct answer. You can also use Montagnas to speed it up.
 Leviathan.Motoxdady
Server: Leviathan
user: Motoxdady
By Leviathan.Motoxdady 2012-01-17 15:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

[A] Atlepa Flux #6 Grab 12 Mandies
99PLD/RDM44

Bloom Buckler + Cap Haste gear + PDT- gear

eat saltena

Atma of the Mounted Champion (for the regen)
Atma of the Apocalypse (for instant cast)(tripple attack is good for skilling up weapons too just be carefull not to kill the mandies or ull have to pull again)
(insert Regen/Refresh/PDT- atma here)

spam haste so you that you can spam reprisal for faster skill up
spam phalanx so you dont die lol
spam reprisal ever 1:30 (only 30 seconds of down time)
By Xorn 2012-01-17 22:48:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure it's Montagnas (not saltena) for 295+
[+]
 Bahamut.Bekisa
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2012-01-17 23:30:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I did it on mandys at flux 6 in Altep completely solo as PLD/RDM so I had some kind of refresh as a backup. Mounted Champion, Lion, Stronghold with the highest def small shield I could find on the auction house.

Did ~250 to 320 in about 2 hours without food. Then next day came back with montagnas and did 320 to 414 in just under an hour. Keep phalanx up and make liberal use of Reprisal and the new Shield block JA. If you forgot to recast phalanx before it wears off, remember you have Sentinel and Rampart, or as a last resort Invincible or Fanatics. Once I hit 300 I was able to hold all the mandys and HP never went below 2000 as a taru pld. Below 300 it was a little harder to keep phalanx up without sentinel.
By Xorn 2012-01-19 10:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Protip for the mandies:

You can use a wall to force them all to cluster in front of you. Basically just take them to the wall and walk backwards a bit to direct them.
First Page 2