Your 1st Job, And Why?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Your 1st Job, and Why?
Your 1st Job, and Why?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-05-01 01:05:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ever wonder why people have some of their jobs at Lv.75?
I sometimes wonder what made people decide why they wanted to level that job first.

What made you say you wanted to level a specific job to 75 first?

So, as much of my TL;DR story no one will read, what was the reason you picked your first job to 75?

---------------------
For mine, it was based on a Linkshell I was in before I left.
One thing that never changed before was picking a job first starting out.
I wanted to Level DRG badly. Then came along certain people who picked on me day in and day out bout leveliing or "touching" their job. While some got praises and the best key tips to keep in mind, I got the crap end of the stick and heard "GIMP GIMP GIMP GIMP GIMP".

Wanted to be a DRG- Someone came along.
Wanted to be a MNK- same person.
Wanted to be a SAM- Same person again.

BLM was taken in the shell.

RDM was Taken.

WHM was taken.

PLD was taken.

NIN was taken.

Hell, even BLU WAR and DNC were taken.

THF I got picked on a lot.

COR I got choked on.

While looking at all the jobs and trying to better myself by asking questions, all I ever got was "YOU GIMP MY JOB. JUST GTFO" instead of "Maybe trying this or this for now until you get this. Then switch out this for that onn macros to be more efficient."

So I picked ONE job no one took past 37.
RNG.

I got it up past 37 and took it to 40. Wasnt sure what I wanted to do. But kept going up and up and up. And finally fell in love with the job when I hit 55 obtaining Sidewinder. I was so happy cause I finally found a Job no one could kick my *** for lol. Hitting 60 was big for me as an accomplishment. As soon as I hit 60, people started asking me questions about RNG and how things were really beneficial for me.

I felt so much better. Than everyone started getting on RNG, and putting me down again. So I quit the shell after the drama-sodes and the lolrng.

Thats why most of the LS I was in never heard I hit 75. Even after obtaining it, I never got a congrats anyways so I didnt care. Being the first one in 3 of my shells to beat ACP after 2 days [even with a shitty body piece] was an accomplishment to me. Cause I learned a lot even though im not finished with CoP and RoZ. Instead of grats, I got ***for it and i still got "Your So Gimp". Not.. even.. one Congrats.. Thanks guys. *blists begin*

But yea, Thats my real reason for hitting 75 and never changing jobs lol.
I feel better when people in shells would ask for a RNG's expertise in lower level areas and soloing. Even though my knowledge isnt FULL like most RNG's, I tend to be helpful when its possible. I like telling people options about how to play rng without calling anyone "gimp".

Hoping to create my own RNG LS one day when I get my RNG updated 100% and have known the ins and outs of this job! Even at 75, I still feel I can learn so much more. And hope to in the future for RNG's taking the job up as their main. ^^b
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-05-01 01:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, you chose rng for a much more serious reason than I did. I just did it because I liked it. Same with my thf, same with my war, although they are not yet 75's. I started sam as just a sub, but I like it and might take it to 75. I'm doing whm mostly to be useful, not because I adore it like rng, thf, and war.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Ghuda
Server: Valefor
user: Ghuda
By Valefor.Ghuda 2009-05-01 01:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Elkanah said:

RDM was Taken.

WHM was taken.

PLD was taken.

NIN was taken.

I dont understand this logic hey. Why didnt you just do what you wanted to do seeing as you're the one paying for the game each month.
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-05-01 01:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I started the game as a BLM, unlocked all the jobs at 30 because i was unsure.

Unsatisfied with everything i continued BLM to 65 where i almost quit the game. There was one job left i didn't try which was Samurai.

When i hit level 30 i sold all my BLM stuff i owned and pimped out my Samurai. It went to 75 within 3 months.

After that i figured i should finish BLM to 75. That was years ago and not long after i attended the 2007 fan festival and had a blast. I liked DNC just for the play style and it ended up being my third 75 when the expansion was released. Shame it sucks balls for endgame.

Now that more time has passed by i find myself with every expansion finished and all nations rank 10. I just aim for maat's cap currently. Samurai will always be my #1 main and favorite job.

Starting out in this game sucks plain and simple, but with time and dedication i am glad at where i stand today.
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-05-01 01:22:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ghuda said:
Elkanah said:

RDM was Taken.

WHM was taken.

PLD was taken.

NIN was taken.

I dont understand this logic hey. Why didnt you just do what you wanted to do seeing as you're the one paying for the game each month.

I loved my shell honestly. Cause I knew a lot of good people. Some im still friends with. But because all I ever heard was "YOUR GIMP YOUR GIMP YOUR GIMP", I didnt feel comfortable even trying to better myself at the job.

Even though I pay for my own account, I want to be good at my job people would acknowledge me for. And not to mention this being my very first job grinding days in and out to make gil as a RNG was tougher than most knew about RNG.

As you know, RNG sucks to farm stuff unless using just an axe. But I never had rampage so i farmed with Lv.1 arrows + THF30 on mobs that were 1 hit and easy obtainable drops lol.

Thats why I kinda laid out that whole new players farming guide XD
 Garuda.Amara
Server: Garuda
user: Amara
By Garuda.Amara 2009-05-01 01:27:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Paladin was my first 75 picked it because I loved the idea of being the Knight in shining armor, the hero. And I played the role to it's fullest, even in newbie parties I would stand and hold any links while the rest of my party zoned and died because that's what a pld does.

Then I leveled thf so I could get gil and rare/exc gear and be a TH ***. 2 weeks after hitting 75 I won lot on my Assassin's Armlets and life was great!

Then... to get back into the endgame scene I was told I needed a mage/support job... so came brd I leveled it for 1 purpose to *** out my ballads for gear for thf and pld. Have since retired it 3 times...

Was going to level drk to 75 next since I had some homam and hecatomb gear that it could use, got it to 44 and decided to work on my future sam sub... hit 30 activated meditate and fell in love 2 months later sam was my 4th 75 and as of now still my favorite job to play. Drk is still 44... though it's on the list to be leveled lol. Along with a bunch of other jobs... my 65 blm, 64 rng and 61 bst are at the top though.

Now working on rdm, not for endgame, not because I love the job, I do enjoy it a bit. But because I need a mage to duo with my wife's pld and future DD jobs. She has whm to duo with my pld thf and sam, I'll have rdm to duo with her pld and mnk.
 Kujata.Alydra
Server: Kujata
user: Alydra
By Kujata.Alydra 2009-05-01 01:27:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I originally started out as a MNK, and I've been drifting back to it lately, it's one of my favorite jobs... but I quit it back around the 2H update.

The parties for MNK just dried up. Being a level 55 DD when everyone wants to kill Lesser Colibri, aka wants a DRG, it was terrible. I think I actually soloed all of level 53 back then. Off EPs. At ~15 exp/kill.

But also, MNK wasn't really wanted for much. I mean, yes it's a great job, but outside of me being dragged for every Rank 2-3 and 5-1 fight, there wasn't a whole lot I could do to help people.

So I started leveling WHM, and actually took it up to about 30.

Then I decided, wait, every other game, I love playing a tank. So I picked up Paladin, and basically fell in love instantly. It's a cheap enough job, and I feel I'm pretty good at it, and as of like 2 months ago, it was my first 75 out of all my years playing. Haha. I can PL people, I can tank quite a few things, and help the newer people in the LS with just about anything.

Like I said, I'm halfway trying to finish off MNK now, and kinda going with BLU and PUP as well right now. I will say, I've put more gil into PUP than any other job, easily..
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-05-01 01:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

My first job was MNK. It was suggested to me as a good beginner job, and it was, pretty easy to play at low levels, and got me more familiar with game mechanics and such.

However, when I hit the low 30's, with some pretty expensive "required" gear on the horizon (gotta love that "required" gear, shoulda been more assertive; I was a broke ***), and a RL friend just starting the game as well, I switched to WHM, but also spent a LOT of that time bouncing around from job to job in duo's and trio's with friends, looking for good combinations. Pre-level sync finding parties sucked ***, so it was just easier (albeit much slower) to just get a small group and static, so that's pretty much what I did. Leveled PLD some, RDM, NIN, and played around with pretty much everything outside of the ToAU jobs (didn't even unlock them all until not too long ago).

Then WotG came out, and DNC. Unlocked it straight away, ran out to East Ronfaure, and I wasn't very impressed at first...anyone that's played DNC will tell you 1-15 *** blows ***. However, I stuck with it, and when I hit 15, and got Curing Waltz, that all changed. Being able to solo Toughs with no downtime was pretty awesome to me, and me and a friend were duoing pugs alongside full parties that were pretty much the same level as us. Pretty hawt.

That was pretty much the clincher, and I've been leveling it, with small breaks to finish leveling Ninja and other jobs here and there, pretty much ever since. Reverse Flourish made the job even more fun for me (although it did make every missed step drive me up a *** wall lol), and the fact that it's pretty much zero downtime cemented it for me. I may not kill things fast, by any stretch...but I'll live through the fight. I don't get interrupted at all as with a caster, can lower mobs defense, evasion, and magic resistance, relatively "cheap" cures, perpetual drain or haste, pretty hefty "erase", self-skillchain, provoke, free sneak and invis, Chocobo Jig (God I'm addicted to that ***lol)...

So yeah, DNC all the way, "lolDNC" people be damned. ^^

TL;DR - I love DNC. It's more then just a solo'ers subjob...give it a chance. :P

Next up: SCH :D
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-05-01 01:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Elkanah said:
Thats why most of the LS I was in never heard I hit 75. Even after obtaining it, I never got a congrats anyways so I didnt care. Being the first one in 3 of my shells to beat ACP after 2 days [even with a shitty body piece] was an accomplishment to me. Cause I learned a lot even though im not finished with CoP and RoZ. Instead of grats, I got ***for it and i still got "Your So Gimp". Not.. even.. one Congrats.. Thanks guys. *blists begin*

Um. I'm sorry Elk, but you're not really one to talk....

You don't understand where it all came from, do you? Being in ULM, and not getting "Grats?"

Remember when Shay hit RNG55? And he was SO excited to use his Ebow^^ <3333 He sold everything just to buy it levels before he could even equip it. And when he hit 55 and was able to equip it, everyone in the ls was really happy for him, except you. You didn't even give him a grats--rather, you did, but you took it back, saying "Get Sidewinder first, and then I'll consider congratulating you. :x" (I've got screenshots, in case you don't remember.)

Elkanah said:
I like telling people options about how to play rng without calling anyone "gimp".
Right.

And honestly, that was kinda offensive, especially to Shay who loved his RNG back then. By now you know he's moved on to SMN, which is now currently 75 ever since he got his YinYang Robe--whose drop rate you ridiculed and laughed at, especially when he was nice enough to let Sayakka get a chance to lot the 1st drop. And you laughed at him for that! To Dio, to me, to Kies, all in tells, and we were sick of it. You want "grats?" Yeah. Grats for making fun of a great friend of ours, whom we helped and stood by up until he FINALLY got the drop, after--what, 3 weeks and endless competition?

Listen. I'm not against you or anything; I'm glad you've found a job that you're comfortable with and all. But if you want to be treated respectfully, treat others, like Shaydow, the way you want to be treated. {Take care.}
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-01 02:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Techiniqually blm... but I didnt pt so that didnt work so i switch to rdm. Yeah then joined an ls that needed a rdm and quickly was made to learn or die in a lot of n00b pts... worked out well by the time I hit 40 or so higher lvl rdms sometiems asked my advice and I slept stuff that my ls members were sure couldnt be done especially at my much lower lvl. Eventually I fell in love with rdms later soloability :) still working on a super enfeebling set for soloing but still do decent
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-05-01 02:07:01
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno about you guys, but I play a job that's actually enjoyable regardless of what situation or circumstances it's thrown into.

I almost pity those who hop onto the bandwagon and swing with the pendulum of updates just so they can dish out big numbers without any kind of understanding or commitment to the class despite taking a new turn or even a nerf.

I understand those who take up a job so they can fit into a high level linkshell so that they aren't left high and dry, unable to get gear for the job they really rather be. But by no means should that dominate your time in the game just because it's what others want or need.

It's your character, by all means be what you want to be. No one can fault you for doing what you yourself find enjoyable.
 Remora.Rhinok
Server: Remora
user: Rhinok
By Remora.Rhinok 2009-05-01 02:11:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Paladin, cant go almost anywhere without one! ^^
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-05-01 02:27:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I did congratulate him in a text msg later that day tbh bout getting ebow even without Sidewinder. >>I DID.<<

Shay also made a lot of comments before hand to me bout some insults, so I got him back for it.

And if memory serves me correctly, Shay complained about YYR drop not going to him first before Saya. From him, HE mentioned that it wasnt because he was NICE enough to let her have the drop. Its because She got the ToD before he obtained it during that 3 week period over ONE MAINT THAT HAPPENED. He complained about it to me and sent a few txt msgs about not obtaining it. Kies and I dont really have a full understanding.

I told kies that YYR is an AWESOME addition. Dont get me wrong. But as a close friend of his pointed out that he never levels any of his jobs UNLESS HE HAS THE BEST GEAR FIRST. Did I gimp my gear? Yes, I did. People arent always like me But I got my job to 75 regardless. I CONTINUED to level RNG before I even had better gear. When I obtained it, I was happy. But before hand, i NEVER STOPPED LEVELING RNG. I KEPT GOING REGARDLESS IF I HAD IT OR NOT. He just decided to log off cause he was always mad it never dropped. Instead of just taking some time and really putting more effort into something he had going really good. But he ALWAYS AWLAYS ALWAYS went through 2-5 jobs leveling it to 60, when he couldve already had in that time period, his SMN at 75.

Dio said from the start she didnt like me. whether she didnt like me or not, was something I never really cared bout. Then I got tells from people saying I was defended without being in the LS anymore [this is about almost 2 weeks or so ago] because she said she either disliked me or disliked rng's because of enmity hate vs her pt on birds or something.

Within ALL of those spawns, He couldve leveled his SMN to 75 and had even more pwness for his YYR on. I congratulated him before other ***started happening after the LS drama that came around from who's shell was being left for what reasons forum posts ever came up.

I DID congratulate him for it. If he wants to deny it, w/e. I did though.

I know he's SMN75 now. But me and him dont talk anymore due to some issues he thinks Im a part of, even though it's really nothing at all. But w/e.

Excuse me but, BEFORE all that EVER happened, HOW MUCH ***HAVE I PUT UP WITH UltimaLM? HONESTLY?

WAY BEFORE ALL THIS HAPPENED.
I've been put down for EVERYTHING I do on ANY job.
Only person who never put me down and actually cared bout anything was Azura Chia Blind Kris Ski and Zael.

Its nice you put your foot down on ONE event.
But since Ive been with ULM, Ive had more insults on every job ive played before this whole Shay gets RNG55 stuff + SMN Robe.

Treat others the way I want to be treated? Please, Give me a break Anye.
Ive respected every player in that LS far more than anyone has at 75 and you *** KNOW IT. And most of my time spent in that LS, I was helping people because people who could really effectively BUILD that shell were either not wanting to help, ignoring you because you were NOT a female, or because they just didnt care.

Don't go pulling that Treat others bs. Cause as 2 LS leaders of that shell mentioned, Im still the one who gets all the insults.

What about pyrah?
When she first obtained sam.
Everyone praised it and even came to his aid to help him be a better sam when he got higher in level.

WHAT DID I GET?
GET THE *** OUT OF MY JOB ELKANAH. YOURE GIMPING IT KTHXBAI instead of maybe a little help here and there.

THF are you really wanting me to go there bout how bad I got treated mentioning wanting to LEVEL THF?

BLM- was blind and G. and they gave me a lot of pointers. I just never had the gil and heart to stand there and make things go BOOM with duoing.

RDM/WHM I never liked and soon found I gave "bad" negative effects.

As for other jobs, ill save those for a rainy day.
Since its obvious it wont matter =x
 Ragnarok.Elkanah
By Ragnarok.Elkanah 2009-05-01 02:35:50
Link | Quote | Reply

And from my understanding, the only *** reason he EVER
had ANY of the best gear.
Was cause he bought gil to obtain it.

His SMN Gear.
His BLU gear.
Then sold it all for his RNG gear.
And then his BLM gear.

He's a gil buyer.
How can I respect that at all?

Yes, I DID lose my account.
I DID QQ about it.
But I learned to accept it.

I got it back and got right back on RNG.
Even with 0 gil after it being stolen.

So dont go pulling that respect game for nothing ***.
I did respect everyone.
I still do.

And even to this day, If I pick up any jobs, all I'll ever get are insults. AND YOU *** KNOW IT.
I BET YOU I WOULD. 100k on the line says I wouldnt be wrong.
 Lakshmi.Tijet
Server: Lakshmi
user: Tijet
By Lakshmi.Tijet 2009-05-01 02:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I leveled PLD because I liked not being a squishy taru.

Then I leveled three squishy jobs... one of them being the squishiest job in the game.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Server: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-05-01 03:24:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I started out lvling WAR and got to 35 and found out I needed to lvl NIN. Which at the time I was like "ok!". But I didn't know I had to spend gil for each shadow I use (which I certainly couldn't afford at the time..). I scrapped that idea. And was thinking for a good 3 months of what job I wanted to call my main. It was mostly between all of the heavy DD. But at the time SAM didn't have hasso and such, DRG hadn't changed its 2hr, this was pre-2handed update.

I eventually decided on Dark Knight because it seemed to me to be badass. Which for a longtime I thought it was. The reason I stuck with it was because of my friend Mideus who started about where I did around 60DRK and he became a really good zerging DRK, which I hoped to be one day. Eventually my DRK mentor quit. And I lost my reason to be a good DRK. Eventually deciding I wanted to lvl SAM. This was some time after it got Hasso + Seigan and once I hit 50's we even got Sekkinoki. I loved it! I was getting SO much better ws's, faster tp, cooler gear. And for some reason my hate control was INFINITELY better. So slowly I started being my SAM alot more than my DRK. And after months of being asked to come SAM instead of DRK to anything, SAM is now my main. And I love every minute of playing it! And have put several merits into it.

But my job I am the next most is definitely PLD. I decided I wanted to lvl a job besides a DD. A tank would be awesome! Although I had no previous tanking experience. It was very natural for some reason and I was complimented by most pts I was in at how I tanked. Eventually I got 75, with "meh" gear but I'm working on it and just recently got a Joyeuse! Which makes me want to tank alot more.

Next up is DRG mainly because I <3 2-handed DD and I want to do more bird merits parties. :) It seems much more simple than SAM or DRK though.
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
Server: Seraph
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-05-01 03:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I did BLM because almost every game I play, I'm a mage, and since its what I know and love, I went with BLM (blowing stuff up is always fun), fell in love with it, then decided all my other mages (BLU is exception, its melee more than magic in gear and play style) so I'm doing those now. Only WHM and SMN to go.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2009-05-01 03:53:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fight, fight!
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-05-01 03:57:53
Link | Quote | Reply

BRD was my first to 75

It was so I can have a 75 in a month.
 Siren.Arlyn
Server: Siren
user: richdnls
By Siren.Arlyn 2009-05-01 04:07:41
Link | Quote | Reply

For me my first job was BLM. When i first started out i wanted to be a SMN, I have always liked mage jobs so when i found out you had to be lvl 30 to unlock the other jobs i chose blm out of the 3 you can pick in order to get my smn job unlocked. got smn unlocked,did alot the quests in order to unlock the Avator fight quests, then as i was shouting for them as a lvl 30 blm found out you had to be 70+ in order to even kill them as a group (have to realize this was way back when 6-7 years ago).So i then started to lvl blm in order to get the fights done well needless to say as i got blm all the way up there to lvls 70-75 and did the avator fights. And after all that work i didnt even lvl my smn......BLM WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-05-01 04:24:53
Link | Quote | Reply

White Mage, because I couldn't stand to think of running everywhere. When I started playing I just remember wondering why the characters ran so slow. Also, I like to be needed :P
 Asura.Zekky
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-05-01 04:31:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Red mage was my first 75 and know what got me? It was the damn information in the stupid instruction guide booklet in the PC box when you bought the game. The info that was stated sounded so cool at the time. The ability to wield weapons and cast magic at your opponent! Yeah, boy. I wanted that so badly. Especially since I've always been a lover of mage jobs in previous FF games. Then I got to lvl 41 and realized I couldn't melee anymore and only survived as a debuffer and refresher... Then at lvl 60 when I got my AF hat, I realized how many RDMs there were. I almost stopped it there because I didn't like being a job that was so popular or that was in great abundance, but I was dedicated to finish it by all means. And Maat almost killed that... Elvaan RDM FTMFL. Almost considered lvling BLM to 66 just to manaburn Maat but after 16 horrific attempts, I finally won on my 17th run. XD And then onward to 75 it was!
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-05-01 04:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Back when it all began I really wanted to be a DRG. I remember how badass that job was in every new edition of the game. And of course my hero was Kain from FF4.

I so wanted to be a DRG that I actually fought with a polearm all the way to level 30. After all I wanted to have that weapon skilled up. (I know gimp, but hell back at launch people got away with all sorts of crazy ***.)

I probably should mention that I just recently got that job to 37 and that was like two months ago.

So what happened?

Somewhere along the way I met a PLD who laid it out for me and I was a convert. I wish I remember who it was from my social that put me on the path that has lead me to sitting here now recounting my story. To this day I recall the sheer terror of running around Davoi as I unlocked the job. It was my first real accomplishment. I'm forever greatful for the help.

Despite hardly playing it these days (gotta love endgame, if you have BLM leveled you're stuck on it) I love PLD. I had a blast leveling it pre whitegate, pre level-sync, pre campaign. Playing a tank job where it's one wrong move can mean game over is a thrill. I relish having the responsibility in that situation.

It's certainly not a job for everyone, but to each their own... we all find our path.
 Seraph.Xdudemanx
Server: Seraph
user: xdudemanx
By Seraph.Xdudemanx 2009-05-01 04:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

i picked whm as my first job to take to 75 on my old character...think that was almost 3 years ago since ive been whm main...i did it mainly because it easy to get around with and for some reason one of the first af i saw when i was nub was whm and i thought it looked cool..i remember being in dunes for the first time and having a pl..i always wanted to be the pl for some reason and i also liked helping people..whm just seems liked the job to do so i could pl my friends...i was poor and didnt get a light staff til lvl69..think i finally got it for 110k..took me a month of sky to get nobles tunic..well after over a year of whm and pld on the side my old character got banned because i was helping pay for a friends account...his account got hacked...he called SE and they wouldnt do anything...so he asked them to ban it...they took mine down along with it because my card linked with his account for a few payments..i lost my regi codes so i couldnt do anything about it...i quit for 7 months..decided to come back cuz my friends were gonna come back...decided i was gonna do bst main because i always liked to solo and bst can farm some pretty good stuffs.... .took war up because all my dd gear for war is pretty much the same for my bst..
 Hades.Jacinda
Server: Hades
user: Jacinda
By Hades.Jacinda 2009-05-01 05:14:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Black Mage was my sole reason for coming to FFXI, though White Mage was my first 75. I've only had experience with one other, less known MMO, and I was a mage there too.

So, at the recommendation of a friend, I signed up and went to the Hades server was she was. I chose BLM as my job and was on my way. My friend helped me along for the first few levels, then took me to the doomz and dropped me off. I had a lot of fun with the job, but really didn't understand the whole skillchain / magic burst stuff. Plus I definitely didn't get the myriad of elemental associations with enemies, crystals, nations, weather...etc. Met a couple of friends who helped me understand all that and I was set.

Then I hit a roadblock. I got Whitegate access. Now perhaps I'm wrong in thinking this but, but I didn't join an MMO to solo. I've been playing for just over a year and I still struggle with that notion to this day. Regardless, once I entered the realm of the colibri, I was as unwelcome to parties as a 400-lb sumo wrestler is to America's Top Model.

The classic, yet tragic BLM story. "Go solo, you can't do anything here." It was an actual shock to me. The shell I was in had never mentioned that BLM was mainly a solo job, and I was totally unprepared for that. So off I went, with very little knowledge and a feeling of isolation.

I eventually got the hang of soloing, but like I said, I didn't join an MMO to be by myself. I have other console games for that. I wanted to be with friends and have fun, so I started looking at my WHM sub. I figured it was a job that people wouldn't reject, so I turned my focused there.

Now things are a bit different. I still love being a BLM, but I truly don't think that I will ever be a serious endgame mage.
 Bismarck.Bairdos
Server: Bismarck
user: Bairdos
By Bismarck.Bairdos 2009-05-01 05:40:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Warrior for me.
Between wanting to whoop *** with a Great Axe and the look of the AF (which was a major disappointment!), that was what i decided to go for.
Took me an age since i refused to /nin, but getting to 75 with it was an amazing feeling.

Next it's likely to be Paladin or Samurai that i get to 75, but War will probably always be my most enjoyed job, what with the endless whompings with my Great Axe :)
 Diabolos.Chibixzero
Server: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Chibixzero 2009-05-01 05:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I choose dragoon cause I saw a askar gear dragoon while walkin in bastok when I first started. simple, I cant believe I was goin to do Dark knight >.<
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-05-01 05:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Before I started, one of my friends was telling me about how he played the Beta, and about how you did a quest to get a subjob, but not really anything about the party dynamics behind it.

"I'm gonna be a NIN/THF!"

You can imagine how short-lived that was when I picked up a dagger on THF and started hitting things >.>..

I quit THF at 14 and went to BLM.

I nuked, nuked and nuked some more! Learned what a macro was and how to string commands together. Got to 14, went to work and came back home, eager to set things on fire again and my brother was on my account >_>

He'd got me to 18, so I went and got my SJ, then started levelling WHM. WHM was interesting to me >.> Lot less death thanks to cure, but killed so slow it was scary. I got WHM to Lv.10 and went back to BLM and nuked some more.

Long story short, after that, I took BLM to 33 and I decided I was going to get WHM to 37 for my SJ before I carry on with BLM.

Started playing on WHM, got my Seers, got my Teleport-Mea/Holla/Dem.. Got my Teleport-Yhoat/Altep (wtf?).. got my Haste >.>

Then my friend asked me to static with her on WAR, I agreed, we had an arguement when I hit 55 and we split. So I went back to BLM, though I kinda missed being a WHM, I didn't like it as much as BLM because I didn't have money to make my job "easier". I couldn't afford the 5M Serket ring, or the 2M Astral's.. I stared at Vermillion Cloaks(5M'ish) all day long, hoping I'd be able to get one of those for my WHM one day.

So, I took up BLM again, and I loved it like I'd never played it before. Thanks to being WHM a bit longer, I learned how important some of my skills are, and the advantage of having Drain and Aspir! So I PT'd.. and PT'd some more, and soon, I was 60! YAY pimp hat!

I hit 61, no PT invites for days.. Gogo rats! Solo'd from 61-74, with 1~2 duo manaburns with my brother in there. Realised how important my Enfeebling Magic was to my survival, when I was killing rats, so I started spamming Sleep on things in Besieged.

My friend /t me, "Want a PT?". I was shocked to say the least >_> I was in a PT on Greater Colibri? Then I found out I was main heal, my heart dropped >.> I hated main healing on BLM, and still do, but I took it. 10k/hr, took about 2hr, and that was it.. BLM75/WHM37. I could finally run around /pimp.

Then I decided I'd level one of every job, Tank, DD, Support, Healer, Nuker >.>

One down, 4 to go!

So I levelled BRD, I wanted a job I could merit on, because meriting BLM made me cry after a while.. "Wow, this job has some great survivability", Ding! BRD75 + Full DD set.

Then I got asked to go to a lowbie LS trio. Gogo WAR! Now.. I hated WAR when I was levelling NIN, I hated it with a passion.. but for some reason, I fell in love with it after I PT'd again.. From 18 to 24, then I started gearing it up as a "serious" job (read: using more than weapon + kingdom aketon). When I hit 25, my eyes lit up with those funky anime tears everyone seems to get >_> The ones that look like a river on your eyes.. Double Attack equaled PIMPER THAN PIMP! After making god knows how many PT's, I finally dinged WAR75/SAM37. /sam foralways ftw!

Then, I figured I had some money, prices had collapsed.. I'll go level WHM. What was the first thing I did? Buy a Serket Ring. I got some basic essentials for 55, Beak Necklace (NQ ONRY.), Insomnia Earring, Antivenom Earring.. The usual. Then I started gearing my WHM more and more, anything with Convert HP<>MP was gonna be mine, anything with MP+ was mine, anything with hMP.. yeah, was mine >.>

Not too-too long later, maybe about 6 months, my WHM hit 73. I had finally done it >.> I had all the gear on I wanted, with a few exceptions. Then I laid WHM down for a while, didn't really do anything on it for a couple of months, and got asked to go to a LS PT with it. Sure thing! DING 74!

That was it for about 3 months then, I had everything I wanted >.> Utsusemi: Ni, RR2 was fine with me too. 2 days before the "WHM Update" DING WHM75!

Next up.. NIN! So sick of getting HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE PT's though, solo ftw!
 Asura.Celene
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-05-01 06:27:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll make mine sweet and short.

My first job to 75 ever was PLD~
When I first joined back in 2004, I wanted to be a DRG. I had an obsession with Kain from FFIV back then. <3 I got my DRG to 16 and was bored, sadly. I tried a bunch of different jobs during that time period but none were really to my taste. Someone suggested I try PLD, so I did. I fell in love instantly and my love for the job only grew as I progressed. I'm not sure what did it, maybe the fact that I loved having the mobs attention, I loved being the shield over the party. I just felt needed. It was good because I made a lot of good friends back then~

It took me a year to finish PLD. I only had one person really that could help me with AF, so it took me a very long time to finish my AF set. That person, just so everyone knows, is Moonkitty He's been an awesome friend since day one. :) Even remember obtaining rank 5 before 30 because of the help of him and some friends.

I love being able to level with my LS these days, on Celene. It's good because everyone understands that there is always to be some life aggro, so it's not entirely too bad when someone has to afk for 10 mins. I am looking forward to getting my first 75 on Celene soon. RDM gogo~!
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5