Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2011-11-27 07:40:27
Link | Quote | Reply

TP:

WS(Dancing Edge):

WS(Evisceration):

Augments:
Hecatomb Cap +1: (Attack +6, Double Attack +3%)
Hecatomb Harness +1: (DEX +4, Attack +4)
Hecatomb Leggings +1: (STR +3, Attack +5)
Kila +3 is DEX.

Any and all constructive criticism is welcome, but if you feel certain pieces are better than what I have please let me know why if you can.

It's easy for me to change gear if something else is better, but I like to understand why I am wearing the gear I use. Not just use it b/c it's what the masses where.

Understanding why I am using one piece over another will help to make better gear choices in the future.

PS: I know my Hecatomb augments aren't at there peak, I am working on getting better sugments when I get the chance.

EDIT: Fixed, Thank you for telling me about that, I was wondering how people got the little boxes like that.

Asura.Ludoggy said: »
Use the bbcode on the bottom of your sets as links instead of the url
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-11-27 07:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Use the bbcode on the bottom of your sets as links instead of the url

[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Cuelebra
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Cuelebra 2011-11-27 14:31:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Rancor > gorget for evis.
Justiciar's Torque > love torque > gorget (for non crit hit ws.)
Aesir > hollow for evis and DE
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2011-11-27 15:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Cuelebra said: »
Rancor > gorget for evis.
Justiciar's Torque > love torque > gorget (for non crit hit ws.)
Aesir > hollow for evis and DE

I assume gorgets are not as good as they used to be at 75 anymore?
I remember back when elemental gorgets were kind of a must have for most WS's.

Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
The max result for Hecatomb subligar +1 is
DEX +9 Attack +22
Critical hit rate +4%
Accuracy +7
I believe. A strong boost in damage above tumbler's, worthwhile if you ever see a nidhogg trig or do Einherjar

Yeah, I would kill for an N Legs right about now, lol. It's the only N abj I don't have.

And the Dex killer you're using would be much more situational than anything. STR Kila would pull ahead in near all cases

THF is fairly new for me, had it up for less than a year. I remember a lot of people frowning on STR for THF back in the day. It was always DEX, DEX, DEX w/ some attack I thought.
I guess that's not the case any more.

I'm doubting also if Nifty wins for ws over atheling. As well, for tping you're trading 3 double attack for 5 attack essentially and I'm curious if that will be proven worthwhile

A friend of mine who has been THF for a very long time suggested Nifty Mantle to me b/c of the mix of DEX and attack. His THF is decently geared and I respected his opinion enough and have been using it for WS ever since.

I used to use Atheling Mantle for TP until i saw Vimukti Mantle, I can't remember exactly where, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Triple Attack takes priority over Double Attack when proccing. And since my TP set currently has a 19% Triple Attack proc rate (includes base trait and merits). That would mean the window for chance to double attack is only at 81%/100%. So some of thos double attacks that would have occurred during that 19% period would be overwritten, So the 3% double would technically show up less often than than it actually shows, so I figured the 5 extra attack on each hit might be a better trade off, especially w/ all the triple attack procs.

Some of this logic I have may be flawed, I'm not perfect, I don't claim to be either. But I like to learn from my mistakes. If am incorrect on any of these points let me know, it's just little things I've picked up here and there browsing random forums and such.
 Sylph.Gredival
Server: Sylph
user: Gredival
By Sylph.Gredival 2011-11-28 07:16:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget said: »
I assume gorgets are not as good as they used to be at 75 anymore?
I remember back when elemental gorgets were kind of a must have for most WS's.

The key is which type of WS. Gorgets give FTP, but whether or not fTP is the optimal stat is dependent on the job and WS in question.

For Evis, the number 1 factor in damage since it was changed to be a crit WS has always been the crits. Therefore Rancor edges pretty much anything when it comes to Evis. In comparison though, consider Ukko's Fury which is also a crit WS but has a +30% base crit rate, which puts gorgets ahead due to decreasing returns.

Ire beats Gorget because the Mercy FTP and WSC are so high that the benefits of 7 STR mathematically come out greater than the .1 modifier. Justiciar beats Ire because the 15 attk is generally worth 3 STR.

Quote:
THF is fairly new for me, had it up for less than a year. I remember a lot of people frowning on STR for THF back in the day. It was always DEX, DEX, DEX w/ some attack I thought.
I guess that's not the case any more.

For WS damage, stacking STR isn't going to be nearly as effective as stacking DEX. However you have to consider STR Kila's attack bonus. THF is generally attack starved, so the attack helps quite a lot. And it's not like STR is worthless; even for jobs based around other stats, STR is always involved in the backend in some way.

Quote:
I used to use Atheling Mantle for TP until i saw Vimukti Mantle, I can't remember exactly where, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Triple Attack takes priority over Double Attack when proccing. And since my TP set currently has a 19% Triple Attack proc rate (includes base trait and merits). That would mean the window for chance to double attack is only at 81%/100%. So some of thos double attacks that would have occurred during that 19% period would be overwritten, So the 3% double would technically show up less often than than it actually shows, so I figured the 5 extra attack on each hit might be a better trade off, especially w/ all the triple attack procs.

3A does take priority over 2A. Your base logic is right, 3A rate overriding 2A increases the diminishing returns of 2A. But it shouldn't be that significant, except in Abyssea where Atmas allow your 3A rate to get out of control.

But Nifty doesn't have a 5 attk advantage over Atheling. Atheling has an 11 attk advantage; Nifty has +5 dmg when using Sneak Attack as well as +5 to WSC.

I'm not sure on this particular match-up when you are stacking Evis, but I definitely would lean towards Atheling for unstacked.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-11-28 07:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

the 5 att is the vimukti, not nifty.
 Sylph.Gredival
By Sylph.Gredival 2011-11-28 07:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh. Hm. I think outside Abyssea the 2A is probably still significant enough to pull Atheling ahead then or in a situation where you are getting Minuets.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2011-11-28 07:38:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I bought a Jusicier's Torque and was playing around with it in Dyna while duo'ing coins with my friend. Just eyeballing, it felt like my unstacked DE's were duoing a little bit more, but I think my SA DE's went down.

I'm gonna try it out a bit more before I rule it out, But I used to see a lot more 2600-2800 SA DE's with the gorget, and I didn't see more than 2200-2500 with the torque.

I swapped to Atheling on my WS set too. I generally use DE outside of Abyssea, I feel I do better with that. I only use Evisceration inside Abyssea.
By Brolli 2011-11-28 08:46:04
Link | Quote | Reply

why Vimukti Mantle over atheling? +5 atk doesn't cut it vs "Double Attack"+3%, (for tp)
 Sylph.Gredival
By Sylph.Gredival 2011-11-28 09:33:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget said: »
I bought a Jusicier's Torque and was playing around with it in Dyna while duo'ing coins with my friend. Just eyeballing, it felt like my unstacked DE's were duoing a little bit more, but I think my SA DE's went down.

I'm gonna try it out a bit more before I rule it out, But I used to see a lot more 2600-2800 SA DE's with the gorget, and I didn't see more than 2200-2500 with the torque.

I swapped to Atheling on my WS set too. I generally use DE outside of Abyssea, I feel I do better with that. I only use Evisceration inside Abyssea.

Even outside Abyssea, Evisceration should be vastly superior with our new traits that focus on crits and the gear that augments criticals. For that you should be using Rancor.

Justiciar is sort of a Mercy piece imo.

Also you should parse the results to be sure, keeping in mind that you won't see a noticeable difference on targets that are low defense to you anyway. The point of attack stacking isn't spikes, but consistency. If you consistently do better, even with a lower ceiling, you should still switch.
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2011-11-28 09:38:11
Link | Quote | Reply

As has been said, swap

*Vimukti back to atheling. 3DA>5atk. Thats 1.66atk per point of DA. Thats like replacing brutal for an 8atk earring. No bueno.
*Rancor for Evis
*Demonry to Rajas outside abyssea. TA rate isnt high enough outside to justify it). 5str raises base damage by 1-2 and atk by 2-3 on EVERY hit you land, not to mention 2-3 acc and stp/subtle blow. 7atk doesnt match up well to that at all and 3A isnt high enough to make up the difference outside abyssea. (also str is often capped in abyssea, but not outside making rajas weaker inside).

It might sound contrary after the mantle discussion, but Dex earrings beat brutal on WS. Its unintuitive, but its true. You can only even proc a DA on 2 hits of a WS (main+offhand) instead of any of the 6 hits. As you said, TA overwrites DA, and on a 6hit WS any TA will cap you at 8hits (Cap for WS hits). So if a TA procs, NO DA can proc. IIRC Brutal works out to be less than a 1% boost to WS damage over time. Even less if you stack it with SATA. Thats a really low bar for dex to match. Brutal can only proc if you dont land a 3A, only on 2 of 6 hits, and still subject to acc check. +1 or more base damage from dex on EVERY hit ALL the time can edge that out rather easily.

The WS gorgets are basically good for 1hit WS (for the FTP bonus) and multi hit WS because they add 10 acc. FTP bonus on multi hits doesnt really do much of anything, but at 75 it was all about the acc. We are fortunate that we get love torque. The 7skill and 5dex=8-10 acc depending on combat skill and dex rounding and 5 dex+7atk beat the tiny 0.1FTP bonus on gorgets easily. So for thf with L torque, gorgets are pretty much out. Even more when stacked with SA (5 more dex for that).

I have to disagree with justiciars. For both DE and Evis, 1str=1dex for raising base damage almost exactly (until str caps of course) so 5dex>4str. This leaves 17atk justiciar vs 7atk, 8-10acc and 1dex for unstacked DE/Evis. Stacked with SA love wins by a mile thanks to the dex counting for both SA and WS. Unstacked its 10atk vs 8-10 acc and 1 dex.
*SA stacked: love wins.
*Capped Str(abyssea/trash mobs): love wins.
*Acc uncapped: Love wins
*Evis: Rancor wins

Only time justicars wins is if all the following are true. Using only DE without SA, Fstr isnt capped, Acc IS capped, the 1 dex doesnt give you +1 damage (~25% chance for 1 dex to give +1 damage) and/or mob has high def.

While justicars 'can' win, it will be on a mob outside abyssea that has both high def, but low evasion without stacking with SA and only for DE. Thats 'situational' enough that I cant wholeheartedly get behind justiciar's. Love will 'generally' beat it in most situations, while justicars will rarely have the stars align in its favor.
[+]
 Bismarck.Chaosprime
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Chaosprime 2011-11-28 11:29:08
Link | Quote | Reply

So would you say a +3 or +4 DEX earring will outperform Brutal in WS consistency?

Im thinking of the Thunder/Jupiter Pearl Earring here.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-11-28 11:59:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Oneiros helm for DE. My damage improved by 15% over my heca cap. I swear by it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2011-11-28 16:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aanalaty said: »
As has been said, swap

*Vimukti back to atheling. 3DA>5atk. Thats 1.66atk per point of DA. Thats like replacing brutal for an 8atk earring. No bueno.
*Rancor for Evis
*Demonry to Rajas outside abyssea. TA rate isnt high enough outside to justify it). 5str raises base damage by 1-2 and atk by 2-3 on EVERY hit you land, not to mention 2-3 acc and stp/subtle blow. 7atk doesnt match up well to that at all and 3A isnt high enough to make up the difference outside abyssea. (also str is often capped in abyssea, but not outside making rajas weaker inside).

It might sound contrary after the mantle discussion, but Dex earrings beat brutal on WS. Its unintuitive, but its true. You can only even proc a DA on 2 hits of a WS (main+offhand) instead of any of the 6 hits. As you said, TA overwrites DA, and on a 6hit WS any TA will cap you at 8hits (Cap for WS hits). So if a TA procs, NO DA can proc. IIRC Brutal works out to be less than a 1% boost to WS damage over time. Even less if you stack it with SATA. Thats a really low bar for dex to match. Brutal can only proc if you dont land a 3A, only on 2 of 6 hits, and still subject to acc check. +1 or more base damage from dex on EVERY hit ALL the time can edge that out rather easily.

The WS gorgets are basically good for 1hit WS (for the FTP bonus) and multi hit WS because they add 10 acc. FTP bonus on multi hits doesnt really do much of anything, but at 75 it was all about the acc. We are fortunate that we get love torque. The 7skill and 5dex=8-10 acc depending on combat skill and dex rounding and 5 dex+7atk beat the tiny 0.1FTP bonus on gorgets easily. So for thf with L torque, gorgets are pretty much out. Even more when stacked with SA (5 more dex for that).

I have to disagree with justiciars. For both DE and Evis, 1str=1dex for raising base damage almost exactly (until str caps of course) so 5dex>4str. This leaves 17atk justiciar vs 7atk, 8-10acc and 1dex for unstacked DE/Evis. Stacked with SA love wins by a mile thanks to the dex counting for both SA and WS. Unstacked its 10atk vs 8-10 acc and 1 dex.
*SA stacked: love wins.
*Capped Str(abyssea/trash mobs): love wins.
*Acc uncapped: Love wins
*Evis: Rancor wins

Only time justicars wins is if all the following are true. Using only DE without SA, Fstr isnt capped, Acc IS capped, the 1 dex doesnt give you +1 damage (~25% chance for 1 dex to give +1 damage) and/or mob has high def.

While justicars 'can' win, it will be on a mob outside abyssea that has both high def, but low evasion without stacking with SA and only for DE. Thats 'situational' enough that I cant wholeheartedly get behind justiciar's. Love will 'generally' beat it in most situations, while justicars will rarely have the stars align in its favor.

Amazing post, thank you so much for your help. I'm gonna do a small rework on my TP set and Evis/DE sets.

Over the next few days I'm think about turning it into this.

TP:

WS(Evisceration):

Based on what you said about the DA on WS, I'm thinking about going back to Nifty on WS, or do you think the 10 attack and diminished chance to DA on WS would be better than 5 DEX? I can't really see using Cuchulain's Mantle or Aife's Mantle unless I'm using Trick Attack the WS, or really need the acc.

There's obviously other items too, but for now this is what I'm thinking of settling with for now. I'll work on a STR Kila as time permits as well.

I don't really much care for making a set of gear strictly for Abyssea, shits so old everything dies in there fast without even trying. It's just become repetitive ***. All my LS does in there anymore really is just spam Emyprean NM's. Or get +1/+2 for members who are just coming back from like quitting for years.
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-11-28 16:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

AF3 Legs +2 and their 7 Dex and +4% Crit rate are better than Tumbler for evisc. The next step would be heca legs with aug 4% crit rate
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2011-11-28 16:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sheelay said: »
AF3 Legs +2 and their 7 Dex and +4% Crit rate are better than Tumbler for evisc. The next step would be heca legs with aug 4% crit rate

You have a point, Tumbler's seem more like DE legs.
 Sylph.Gredival
By Sylph.Gredival 2011-11-28 23:47:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought the discussion wasn't so much Love vs. Justiciar, but Sea Gorgets? Which is all a moot point because we come back to Evisceration being a fundamentally superior WS which brings Rancor into play.

Oh and use Rancor for TP as well as WS over Agasaya. I'm pretty sure the Crit Rate will beat the 2acc/8attk.
 Bismarck.Chaosprime
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Chaosprime 2011-11-29 09:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I see 2x Jupiter's Earrings are the prefered choice for earrings for Evis WS, Would thesame apply if using Thunder Pearls instead? Would either the Thunder or Jupiter's pearl out perform Brutal and Aesir Earrings?
 Sylph.Gredival
By Sylph.Gredival 2011-11-30 14:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a back coming out that will have Tonberry Grudge.

Tonberry Mantle: Mantle AllJobs ATK+17 "Everybody's Rancor"

No idea if it will stack with Collar, but I assume they won't, because it seems like Rancor is a status added onto you.

If so, the best Neck/Back will be Love Torque/Tonberry Mantle easily.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [31 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Calipso
user: Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2011-12-31 15:12:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry if this is a bit of a bump. Didn't really want to start a new topic. Got Toci's last night and was wondering if it was worth working into a tp build. This is what I use normally: (Athos boots would be in there if I had them yet).

And this is what I was thinking of using:

Basically just swapping around some stats to gain the 3DA off the body.

Thoughts?
 Leviathan.Laphine
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Laphine 2011-12-31 16:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

This is very interesting for sure. Comparing the sets:

emp set
str 8
dex 18
attack 25 (str and dagger skill accounted)
acc 37.5 (dex and dagger skill accounted)

toci set
str 18
dex 26
att 19
acc 32
DA3

Ignored athos because both sets can make use of it.

Even tho we get less acc and att, we get more str and dex. That's more crit rate and fstr, which are back to being variables in the damage game. Oh, and of course, we also get a 3%DA bonus.

Kinda related, in another thread Asymptotic proposed to swap atheling for rancor mantle and use nefarious collar on the neck. This is a very interesting move too imo. Although love torque will always have a spot in our thief hearts.
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2011-12-31 16:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Laphine said: »
Kinda related, in another thread Asymptotic proposed to swap atheling for rancor mantle and use nefarious collar on the neck. This is a very interesting move too imo. Although love torque will always have a spot in our thief hearts.

I tend to avoid rancor for tp'ing for the most part cause dc mobs in dyna can hurt. Dyna pretty much the only thing I thf to :(
 Lakshmi.Cadant
user: cadant
By Lakshmi.Cadant 2012-01-23 08:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Calipso said: »
Sorry if this is a bit of a bump. Didn't really want to start a new topic. Got Toci's last night and was wondering if it was worth working into a tp build. This is what I use normally: (Athos boots would be in there if I had them yet).

And this is what I was thinking of using:

Basically just swapping around some stats to gain the 3DA off the body.

Thoughts?

I too am interested to know whether or not you can make a TP set with Toci + Oce +1 head. Has anyone tested this before or run the numbers for it? I'm terrible at this kind of math or I'd do it myself.
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2012-01-23 08:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Rancor collar and Nomkahpa mittens?

Edit: Could even go with Rancor mantle + Nefarious collar
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2012-01-23 08:54:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Is what I use now. Over the haste cap I know, until Nom mittens get stuck in a bazaar or on the ah I'm not sure what else I can swap out. I'm pretty sure the above set is ideal with the exchange of brego for nom mittens, and rancor if it's not going to get you killed.

Using Nom mittens in the tocis build will put you at 25% haste.
 Bahamut.Hucksterthief
Server: Bahamut
user: huckster
By Bahamut.Hucksterthief 2012-01-23 08:58:10
Link | Quote | Reply

According to Motenten's DPS spreadsheet the difference between these two sets would be minimal:

Set1: <- winner
Melee DPS 136,55

Set2:
Melee DPS 135,14

In order to boost the dmg output in the first set replace Homam Gambieras with Asn. Poulaines +2 - then the first set would give 142,87 (Thokcha (Fire) as main / Triplus in offhand).
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2012-01-26 05:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Hucksterthief said: »

In order to boost the dmg output in the first set replace Homam Gambieras with Asn. Poulaines +2 - then the first set would give 142,87 (Thokcha (Fire) as main / Triplus in offhand).

My friend and I were playing around with different sets and came to the same conclusion, even though that's only 23% haste. I was under the impression that 25~26% should be your main goal and your biggest dps gain? How accurate is that spreadsheet?
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
user: Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2012-01-26 08:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anyone even know how much the 'enhances triple atk damage' is? Im sure someone must otherwise all these comparisons are completely moot without knowing wtf they do. BG doesnt have anything yet and i havent personally seen a single test on them.

Related: AC boost? What is it?
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2012-01-26 17:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Whatever the ac boost is, it's nothing obvious that I've been able to spot from eyeballing. Made the augment a few days back and went and tested a few ws with and without feet equipped, although to be fair I suck at that kinda thing. Done a few dyna since and not noticed anything different in my ac'd weaponskills. Not sure what I can do to perform a more controlled test to figure out what the enhances ac does. If someone can point me in the right direction and I have some time, I'll see what I can do.

As for the feet themselves, I was assuming the spreadsheet was just taking the TA and stats (dex etc), as yeah, even asking my jp friend to look there's no info posted anywhere about what they do. Which is why I was kinda surprised.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9