How to TH Proc
First Page 2 3
 Leviathan.Austyn
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Oxygen
By Leviathan.Austyn 2011-11-24 09:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

A debate has risen among my LS regarding TH and the most efficient/effective way to proc it on THF. I call upon my fellow THFs to help settle this argument.

Argument #1 - TH gear (incl. Thief's Knife) only needs to be worn for the first few hits when engaging a mob, then you may switch to your desired tp set.

Argument #2 - When TH is required it is best to full time the TH set to most effectively raise the TH level (I'm being told wearing TH entire fight causes more TH procs).

If you could let me know which view is correct, I'd appreciate it.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-11-24 09:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

The first one. Although anything above TH2 is pretty wank anyways.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Moonsshadow 2011-11-24 09:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Once you see the TH message in the chat log you can change off of your knife and armlets
[+]
By volkom 2011-11-24 09:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

i'd keep the TH gear until a message pops up in the log saying "the TH level has risen to 7 or w/e" then i switch to the regular tp gear
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-11-24 09:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

As soon as you hit it, you can remove knife and armlets.

The message isn't a proc, it's just the increase in TH level.
[+]
 Leviathan.Austyn
Server: Leviathan
user: Oxygen
By Leviathan.Austyn 2011-11-24 09:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Excellent guys, we share the same opinion and that helps me out a lot. Appreciate the quick responses^^
 Gilgamesh.Hunewearl
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Yuffy
By Gilgamesh.Hunewearl 2011-11-24 09:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
I'll go further, as soon as you do anything toward either the monster or a party member having hate, you enter hate list and therefore, TH is on.

Wearing TH gear after entering hate list is only good if you want to look like a retard, even if you didn't deal damage yet.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-11-24 09:51:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Hunewearl said: »
I'll go further, as soon as you do anything toward either the monster or a party member having hate, you enter hate list and therefore, TH is on.
Has to be an action on the mob, curing won't put TH on the mob.
 Shiva.Xellith
Server: Shiva
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2011-11-24 09:52:06
Link | Quote | Reply

TH gear on - hit mob. TH gear off. Get a TH proc Ding TH7.
 Sylph.Feary
Server: Sylph
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2011-11-24 15:42:21
Link | Quote | Reply

these seems to be two different points/arguments.

#1 where TH starts at

#2 how to effectively increase it after the initial effect is gained.

i guess what you meant to say was

Leviathan.Austyn said: »
A debate has risen among my LS regarding TH and the most efficient/effective way to proc it on THF. I call upon my fellow THFs to help settle these arguments.

If said THF is wearing capped TH6 gear at first damaging action the on the mob will give TH6 without a message. This will be the starting point.

i'm sure you got that answer from the above posts.

TP in TH gear will increase the rate of increase. i.e the initial TH+1 which gives you a message.

tping in th gear after the initial proc or first message is another argument.

augment#1 Even if tping in TH gear has an increased rate. i dont need more than TH7 because TH2 is enough.

augment #2 tping in TH gear is gimp because i rather do more DoT.

augment #3 it doesnt give an increase so i just switch back to tp gear
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-11-24 15:48:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Argument 2 Is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

You can upgrade to TH12 wearing nothing, and starting from TH3. The only thing that TH Gear does at this point is determine your starting point.

But its already been said, Equip TH Gear > Hit mob > Take it off. You'll upgrade the same. Random is random!
 Bahamut.Novadragon
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Novadragon 2011-11-24 15:49:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I have noticed that landing a hard crit can increase chances to proc the 1st TH increase from Sneak Attack. I been getting it alot. Not sure if this is true just my suspicions.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2011-11-24 16:05:11
Link | Quote | Reply

The message isn't a proc, it's just the increase in TH level.
Why don't people accept this? All you gotta do is do a ranged attack with th crap on and take it off. You dont have to gimp yourself for 31851571 swings before u get TH7 in chatlog.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-11-24 16:09:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Novadragon said: »
I have noticed that landing a hard crit can increase chances to proc the 1st TH increase from Sneak Attack. I been getting it alot. Not sure if this is true just my suspicions.

I believe they said that SA and TA have a higher chance to proc Upgrade.

I feel it has something to do with Critical hits, or damage in general. But as i have no proof, its more of a belief.
 Sylph.Feary
Server: Sylph
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2011-11-24 16:22:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
exactly when your first displayed proc on a NM is random. however yeah I have found that some NMs resist TH procs or have a much lower chance of proccing TH

Say I pop Admantoise with a bully SA, no displayed TH but th6 is on him. Even if I stop meleeing and slowly kill him only using Trick attack and sneak attack to increase chances of procs, I might see th9 if lucky by time it dies from that.

But if I attacked a lvl 105 crab in the boyahda tree and did the same thing, I always saw much more often TH procs even though the mob is even higher lvl. Seemingly like NMs have a lower chance of TH procs

that's odd for me its never been random. hit or miss always 7.
the only difference is the nms are none abyssea.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-11-24 16:28:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish more people knew this fact. I keep seeing tons of thieves fulltiming thf knife, *** armlets and stuff...some even atma of dread <_<
 Asura.Fondue
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2011-11-24 16:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Karbuncle said: »

I feel it has something to do with Critical hits, or damage in general. But as i have no proof, its more of a belief.

If you believe something HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE like this why wouldnt it be possible that wearing full TH gear gives a better chance to upgrade TH level

no testing has been done, noone knows, if all youre doing is TH whoring it really doesnt matter!
 Phoenix.Pooman
user: Pooman
By Phoenix.Pooman 2011-11-24 16:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Crap is random. In abyssea I've went from 8 to 10 (first proc 8) in the first three SA TA attacks, and then on the same mob, next pop, went from 8 to 9 using it the entire fight.
But yeah, full TH first hit, take everything off after that. I'm pretty sure wearing full TH the entire fight is meaningless.
By Ariaum 2011-11-24 16:37:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Can pull with RA miss and it still TH's the mob... do it all the time and proc to 7-8 in dynamis. Things like dynamis isn't prolly really worth changing out the knife every mob or anthing where you just fight fodder mobs. NM's that you aren't the tank you are probably better off just hitting it with SA/TA and staying off seems too work better. At least imo.
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-11-24 16:38:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Fondue said: »

If you believe something HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE like this why wouldnt it be possible that wearing full TH gear gives a better chance to upgrade TH level

no testing has been done, noone knows, if all youre doing is TH whoring it really doesnt matter!

Oh, Damn, I must have ***in your cheerios lately, not surprising. Its more of a very loose belief. Its not like i go around telling this to people and calling them stupid for not believing it? I mean, Really?

I must have pissed you off something fierce for you to be stretching this hard to call me out on something. Did i decline an invite from you? How hard you're raining down on me saying "I have a feeling it may be xxx" that you'd think I punched your mom.
 Quetzalcoatl.Seveth
user: Seveth
By Quetzalcoatl.Seveth 2011-11-24 16:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe a stupid question, but can your first hits on the mob (or first action toward the mob/member with hate) be in tp gear (TH3) then switch to armlets/feet/knife and set the TH to TH6 according to gear, or does it stay where you first established hate?
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-11-24 16:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Seveth said: »
Maybe a stupid question, but can you hit a mob with tp gear (TH3) then switch to armlets/feet/knife and set the TH to TH6 according to gear, or does it stay where you first established hate?

It'll immediately upgrade to the highest base TH.
 Phoenix.Pooman
By Phoenix.Pooman 2011-11-24 16:41:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
I wish more people knew this fact. I keep seeing tons of thieves fulltiming thf knife, *** armlets and stuff...some even atma of dread <_<

I'll use dread when my sole purpose is for TH, that is, when the leader of my group forbids anyone but the tank on the mob. Just SA TA and WS when I have the TP.
I know the difference is ***, but I like having TH 8 proc on the first hit. It's a nice number ;)
 Phoenix.Pooman
By Phoenix.Pooman 2011-11-24 16:43:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ariaum said: »
Can pull with RA miss and it still TH's the mob... do it all the time and proc to 7-8 in dynamis. Things like dynamis isn't prolly really worth changing out the knife every mob or anthing where you just fight fodder mobs. NM's that you aren't the tank you are probably better off just hitting it with SA/TA and staying off seems too work better. At least imo.

In dynamis, I'll just leave the knife on most of the time. Sometimes the TP loss doesn't seem worth it.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Vaness
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-11-24 16:44:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally keep TH gears on for the first 10s I started fighting a mob then switch to max haste set (faster you hit the more chances you get to augment the TH on).And I can confirm it work, I processed TH7 numerous times wearing my TP set.
 Quetzalcoatl.Seveth
user: Seveth
By Quetzalcoatl.Seveth 2011-11-24 16:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Seveth said: »
Maybe a stupid question, but can you hit a mob with tp gear (TH3) then switch to armlets/feet/knife and set the TH to TH6 according to gear, or does it stay where you first established hate?

It'll immediately upgrade to the highest base TH.

Sweet, I was thinking for like 10min of a way to set a variable in spellcast for when TH is established to unequip armlets/feet. But that settles it. Thanks!
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-11-24 16:44:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Pooman said: »
Ariaum said: »

In dynamis, I'll just leave the knife on most of the time. Sometimes the TP loss doesn't seem worth it.

In situations like Dynamis i think its safer to just wear two Awesome Knives and not worry about the jump from TH5 to TH6.

Theres a fine chance the Killspeed increase will likely make up from the yet unknown % increase TH 6 Holds over TH5
[+]
First Page 2 3