Which Non-CDC DW Swords?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Which non-CDC DW swords?
Which non-CDC DW swords?
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2011-11-10 16:17:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys. Let me preface this before it becomes lolMeleeRdm thread #3259424

I have a Rdm Mule char I leveled to help me do stuff as thf. Hes my little helper and darn good at it. I recently leveled /dnc for additional JA procs in dynamis and having fun with it. Then it occurred to me that i dont need /whm for -na spells with healing waltz and most of the stuff i do is hardly dangerous to a 95 Thf+Rdm duo.

Long story short, im gearing up my MULE for melee when i dual box. Im not main healing parties. Im not nuking. Im running around with thf+rdm dual boxing crap everywhere. To melee or not to melee is not the debate. Its me on my own having fun with a mule char.

So what are the ideal dual wield sword options for a NON-CDC rdm? I was thinking Str Shamshir/OA2-4. I am currently using Runic/Joy as its cheap/already had it. Oviously if i stumble into a glowy sword ill gladly take it, but im not banking on stingy VW.

What do you guys reccomend for a non-CDC rdm with all magians up for grabs(bar CDC) and most any rare/ex/AH excluding high end VW stingy rare drops.

I was thinking 2-4 offhand because i only get DW2 with dnc so i cant break into the <180 range far enough to make to big of a difference and the enspell on a 2hit/round weapon seemed encouraging (not to mention the TP). Nearly every melee gear thread revolves around CDC (understanably) and the aftermath which change things. But without CDC, what do you guys suggest? I primarily use DB as i can darkness with evis on my thf.

Thoughts?
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-11-10 17:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are going for procs in dyna then oa2-4 is going to be a good choice. If you're going for damage then you could go for str or dex shamshirs based on your acc or if you happen by it, a sagasinger.

I have Almace so I dunno if I can offer much practical advice since I haven't done much research on non-cdc melee for rdm.
By palladin9479 2011-11-11 06:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Main hand go with the STR Sword, by far the best non-CDC @95 (realistically obtainable weapon, if your going for a Sagasinger or the VWNM weapon then you might as well get an Almace with that much time). Off hand is kinda depending on gear and such. DA+10 is good, so is the OaT and 2~5. If your going just for procs then 2~5 but if your going for damage look into the DA+10.
 Cerberus.Rayik
Server: Cerberus
user: Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2011-11-11 07:12:27
Link | Quote | Reply

palladin9479 said: »
Main hand go with the STR Sword, by far the best non-CDC @95 (realistically obtainable weapon, if your going for a Sagasinger or the VWNM weapon then you might as well get an Almace with that much time). Off hand is kinda depending on gear and such. DA+10 is good, so is the OaT and 2~5. If your going just for procs then 2~5 but if your going for damage look into the DA+10.

Pretty much this. I made a STR sword for my RDM, and it's made a heck of a difference. Outside of Abyssea against EP mobs, my Savage Blade ws regularly does over 1k damage, has even peaked a few times around 1600 dmg(definitely the exception, not the rule).

I haven't tried it in Dynamis yet, but looking forward to it. /dnc really is nice for dual-wield and Healing Waltz eliminates a lot of the need for /whm if you're in a small group.
 Ragnarok.Arcalimo
Server: Ragnarok
user: arcalimo
By Ragnarok.Arcalimo 2011-11-11 07:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I would go with dagger/joy or oat2-4 for the situations you said.
Twilight knife isn't too hard to get and it has the added bonus of extra tp and mp, evisceration destroys any sword ws besides cdc, and maybe vorpal? But anyway you don't have vorpal as /dnc or /whm.
[+]
 Cerberus.Drayco
Server: Cerberus
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2011-11-11 07:43:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with Arcamalimo. Main hand dagger is, and always has been, really good for rdms. Might be interesting to try to make a Death Blossom WS set. I remember goofing around @ 75 and doing 1k+ Death Blossoms. I have the oat2-4 sword, and couldn't be more disappointed in it. I would go the DA+10 route if I had to do it over again. Joyeuse will attack faster than the oat2-4.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2011-11-11 09:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Well i started a str shamshir as that seems to be the logical sword mainhand (unless i get really luck dragging him to voidwatch :P) and it seems were on the same page with that. Hopefully SE will give rdm a break in the dagger department soon. Twilight will only hold up so long ; ; I fear for it at 99.

But it seems there is always conflicting messages on the OA2-4 weapons. Some hate them, some like em. I figured if anyone could get away with it, itd be rdm/dnc. Enspells (duh) and /dnc doesnt really get enough DW to push swords into the optimal TP range (without 10% more from DW3) so im not to concerned about the high delay since it wont be in that range to hurt it unless i get a dagger. But then i can always fall back on joy anyway.

But as mentioned above some people are really disapointed in it. Id hate to kill a few THOUSAND mobs only to be disapointed ><
 Bismarck.Luces
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-11-11 16:36:54
Link | Quote | Reply

if your going for procs the oat 2-4 will be your best, but the damage will greatly be horrid, chimaric flueret is still a good off hand with double atk +4 the additional enspell damage on the off hand hit, and the accuracy. outside of that I would say main hand twilight off hand str shamshire if you set on using duel swords, str and dex, or chimaric, and make sure to have death blossom. Unless your going to sub blu or war. I use my rdm in dyna and sub nin or blu sometimes war, na spells aren't even needed really. I haven't fought a mob or nm, except final bosses, that I couldn't silence, addle and slow 2, at which point you should be able to interrupt any casts that attempt to go off, or get your silence off b4 they can cast. When I use death blossom over cdc for proccing and aftermath is up already average 700 in dyna, and thats in cdc gear not deathblossom gear. Only missing bloody greaves with ws +3% augment as far as ws gear goes for my rdm. Also I am using moogle head with ws +2% acc +15, str/dex +4 so that does help out death blossom a good bit. for regular mobs I use red curry buns if I'm going after monk nm's I use pizza +1.
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2011-11-11 21:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

lulz as fate would have it my buddy wanted to do some shin out of the blue today. So now i have a twilight dagger for mule :P Now to figure out if i want to do sword or dagger. Hmmm.

Guess ill start browsing wtf rdm can wear for evis now. The more i look at rdm WS gear options...the more it pisses me off -_- its so terrible.
 Bismarck.Luces
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-11-11 21:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aanalaty said: »
lulz as fate would have it my buddy wanted to do some shin out of the blue today. So now i have a twilight dagger for mule :P Now to figure out if i want to do sword or dagger. Hmmm.

Guess ill start browsing wtf rdm can wear for evis now. The more i look at rdm WS gear options...the more it pisses me off -_- its so terrible.

while they did improve our tp gear, our ws gear is still lacking. replace snow belt with the proper belt for evis or cuchlain's, also inside abyssea cuch over elemental belt, also food dependent.

bloody greaves(crimson +1) can be augmented with ws damage +3% but doub't you want to put 800k for the -1 feet + taters and synergy time.... I ALMOST don't and i'm crazy with my rdm.
Jupiters is atk +1 so I'll trade that out for a +7 ring or do the quest again until I get a better augment, The head I tried ws and crit damage + and really the crit damage +2% isn't worth it over the acc +15 which can save you accuracy in other slots, ntm the ws acc has str +4 with it.

edit for tp I currently use

but you can get haste +4% hands from dyna tavnazia boss or dusk +1, all I need is zelus tiarra and I can replace wally turban and cap haste, legs are 3% haste -4%pdt, will replace with calmac when I don't need the gil, + even in ls's I end up tanking a lot so I use the pdt more often. if you get +4% hands, haste +6% belt(phasmid, V. belt, niruta's, speed) and zelus tiara you can actually replace goliard body with ACP body with duel wield augment and have 25% haste and an additional duel wield piece. Neck s subtle blow +5 augment trying to get one with crit rate + subtle blow as well.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-11-11 22:06:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
bloody greaves(crimson +1) can be augmented with ws damage +3%
This is complete ***.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2011-11-11 22:21:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Quote:
This is complete ***.

Damn...after reading that statement on this thread I thought "***really???? I need to get me a pair!"

/dissapointed lol
 Bismarck.Luces
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-11-11 22:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
This is complete ***.

aww sad panda, saw a screen shot the other day, and thought I saw it on wiki apparently I had mistakin
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-11-11 22:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

They can get skillchain damage+3%, but I'm not aware of any abjuration that can get a wsdmg augment aside from Shura Kabuto.
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2011-11-11 22:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

They can get skillchain damage+3%, but I'm not aware of any abjuration that can get a wsdmg augment aside from Shura Kabuto.

Ahh SC dmg..well thats not entirely bad...for azure lore spam... btw, nightfyre, sorry to derail, but is there a list of AL SCs? I can't seem to come up with good ones by randomly spamming lol. Benthic >> Quad for dark is the only thing I've managed.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-11-12 18:09:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fragmentation: Sub-Zero Smash, Heavy Strike, Ram Charge, Savage Blade
Distortion: Disseverment, Quadratic Continuum, CDC (secondary), Expiacion
Fusion: Cannonball, Goblin Rush
Gravitation: Vertical Cleave, Benthic Typhoon

Each property opens a skillchain for the property immediately below it, with Gravitation opening for Fragmentation. Frag + Fusion = Light, Grav + Dist = Darkness. Ideally you want to either close with CDC for a double light skillchain (preceded by either Fusion > Heavy Strike or Fragmentation > Goblin Rush for a strong Light skillchain), or a big CAEfflux QC for darkness. You can take your desired end ability and walk backwards from there:

CDC < Goblin Rush < Heavy Strike/SZS < BT/VC < Cannonball < QC/Disseverment < Heavy Strike/SZS/Ram Charge...

CDC < Heavy Strike < Goblin Rush < QC/Disseverment < SZS/Ram Charge < BT/VC < Cannonball (possibly Rush with capped recast?) < QC/Disseverment...

QC < BT/VC < Goblin Rush/Cannonball < CDC/Disseverment < Heavy Strike/SZS/Ram Charge/Savage Blade < BT/VC...

The first two are especially strong because you can CDC after Azure Lore wears, so you can fit an extra spell in and should be able to manage at least a 6-step skillchain. The second one is especially powerful inside Abyssea since both your Light and mirrored Light skillchains will benefit from overpowered crits. Benthic Typhoon's relatively early place in the skillchain is also a plus because it means more of your spells will benefit from the defense down effect.
[+]