cooking 94 to 100
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2011-10-10 12:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

any advice on getting cooking from 94 to 100

so far i followed the guide by ctonwwoody, but the next couple of recipes are impoissble.
requires either i level woodworking, or includes stuff the you need to get from gardening and nothing is on ah.

if just i could hit something like 97 and then i could start on red curry
By Calipso 2011-10-10 12:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I did a mix of sea bass croute, brain stew, and cursed beverages. Sweet rice cakes would've been a good alternative if anyone ever harvested anymore :(

King Truffles can be bothersome to catch on the ah but if you spend a little while in crawlers nest, you can end up with a couple stacks.

For Cursed beverage I just sucked it up and gardened the kitrons myself because I could never catch them on the ah. Divine logs are so cheap now it's actually one of the easier synths, if you can catch lumber on the ah or can find a woodworker.

I'd camp the ah pretty hard for dragon meats, gonna take a LOT to get those last few levels. At least they're profitable assuming you don't break a ton.
 Bismarck.Samoht
Server: Bismarck
user: Samoht
By Bismarck.Samoht 2011-10-10 12:20:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Get Adv. Synth. Image Support and just do red curry. Should bump you from 94 - 97. I know I know ,not very cost effective because of breaks, but it will work all the way to 100.
 Phoenix.Elspetta
user: Elspetta
By Phoenix.Elspetta 2011-10-10 12:22:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Dawn Mulsum will take you to 97. They were selling for 9-10k each on AH, but have been dropping in price from everyone skilling up.

I personally haven't gotten there yet, but I suggested it to a LS mate and they loved it as their bridge synth.
By Calipso 2011-10-10 12:26:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to just skip everything and do red curry, I'd recommend getting a stall made and use it for a couple levels, unless you have a ton of gil to burn.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-10-10 12:31:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting woodworking up to make rice dumplings is very easy, but that would only get you to 95 anyways, so don't bother. Dawn muslum looks like a godsend, wish that was around when I was skilling up. Dragon meat is also very cheap now, and you should actually profit on it while skilling up (turn it into buns before selling)
 Bismarck.Teraflare
user: Graham
By Bismarck.Teraflare 2011-10-10 12:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I did Dawn Mulsum from 90 to 97 and have just about sold it all now. <Insert generic bitching about undercutting etc etc>.

I then did Red Curry to 100 and made them into buns. They sold quickly enough and I made my gil back and then some. Had to camp the AH for the meat but managed to do the last 3 levels in about 2 RL days.
 Bahamut.Krizz
Server: Bahamut
user: Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2011-10-10 12:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish dawn muslum existed when I was skilling up. I did so many sweet rice cakes... I STILL have stacks upon stacks on a mule from 2005.

Edit: I might start taking them with me to abyssea and waste them in there.
 Phoenix.Elspetta
By Phoenix.Elspetta 2011-10-10 12:47:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Teraflare said: »
I did Dawn Mulsum from 90 to 97 and have just about sold it all now. <Insert generic bitching about undercutting etc etc>.

I then did Red Curry to 100 and made them into buns. They sold quickly enough and I made my gil back and then some. Had to camp the AH for the meat but managed to do the last 3 levels in about 2 RL days.

Out of curiosity, how many stacks of dragon meat did it take for the last 3 levels? I have been saving the meats I get in Aby and have 2 stacks so far. I'm only level 85 in cooking, so I still have 12 levels worth of saving to do (plus I skillup pretty slowly due to lack of playtime).
 Bismarck.Teraflare
By Bismarck.Teraflare 2011-10-10 13:00:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Elspetta said: »

Out of curiosity, how many stacks of dragon meat did it take for the last 3 levels? I have been saving the meats I get in Aby and have 2 stacks so far. I'm only level 85 in cooking, so I still have 12 levels worth of saving to do (plus I skillup pretty slowly due to lack of playtime).

Well...that's a good question. I seem to remember thinking it took me close to 100 synths, some of which broke (and always lose the meat.../sulk)

I ended up with 36 stacks of Red Curry Buns when I finally finished synthing the curry into buns so that's 72 sucessful synths for a start (I didn't HQ any of the synths.)

I remember I broke maybe once every 5-6 synths on average so I'm probably not far out at 100 synths. You can expand my AH history out to 255 transactions and count them if you really want to, bear in mind though that I bought some meat on mules too, although maybe only another 10-12 times on top of the meat I bought on my main. Once I had a rediculous amount of dragon meat I just sat down and blitzed the synth for a couple of days straight everytime an appropriate game day came round.

Being off work at the moment has been useful for doing this... ;)
 Phoenix.Elspetta
By Phoenix.Elspetta 2011-10-10 13:03:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Well...that's a good question. I seem to remember thinking it took me close to 100 synths, some of which broke (and always lose the meat.../sulk)

I ended up with 36 stacks of Red Curry Buns when I finally finished synthing the curry into buns so that's 72 sucessful synths for a start (I didn't HQ any of the synths.)

I remember I broke maybe once every 5-6 synths on average so I'm probably not far out at 100 synths. You can expand my AH history out to 255 transactions and count them if you really want to, bear in mind though that I bought some meat on mules too, although maybe only another 10-12 times on top of the meat I bought on my main. Once I had a rediculous amount of dragon meat I just sat down and blitzed the synth for a couple of days straight everytime an appropriate game day came round.

Being off work at the moment has been useful for doing this... ;)

Good to know! I will start buying up the singles on AH as well then, LOL!

Another random question ~ why would anyone buy a stack of Dragon Meat for $350k, when they sell for $19-20k single, which is $228-240k for 12? Hmmm ...
 Bismarck.Annalise
user: Annalise
By Bismarck.Annalise 2011-10-10 13:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I did some cursed soup, cursed beverages, and red curry to go from 95->100. When I made a lot of red curry, I ate a kitron macaron before doing the synths so I wouldn't blow any up, and got decent skill (I don't think they raise or lower your chances of skill, I believe they just greatly lower your break rates). I didn't have the moglification, but I did have advanced support, hocho, hat, and an apron (I'm unsure if I had the furniture at that point) for 95+8 skill. That with a Kitron macaron had very few breaks.

I agree that cursed soup/beverage are a lot harder now because of the lack of kitrons/persikos. Also, Kitron Macarons are a bit harder to get your hands on as well as a result (provided you synth your own to save a lot of gil). I think Dawn Mulsum is definitely a good suggestion above. Red Curry is likely the best option after, and you can try to T2 the buns as well (if you can hit 102 skill).
 Bismarck.Teraflare
By Bismarck.Teraflare 2011-10-10 13:08:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Another random question ~ why would anyone buy a stack of Dragon Meat for $350k, when they sell for $19-20k single, which is $228-240k for 12? Hmmm ...

Because people fail at basic math. I would bid a max of 240k per stack and not once did I end up buying a stack so I just camped singles. It's the only way unless you have more money than sense!
[+]
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2011-10-10 13:58:21
Link | Quote | Reply

ty for the input. i knew icut count on you guys.

synth support i shouldt have thought that more when leveling lol
and i will defiantly look into Dawn Mulsum. if its eay its a good sent gift for skilling up

i jsut really wanna be done with cooking fast and im not that afraid of loosing gil for this last part as long as its a easy to do recipe so i can just take the loss and get it over with
By Chrisstreb 2011-10-10 14:06:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I did Dawn Mulsums to the cap at 97 and was planning on doing Red Curry to 100 before I left the game, the only issue I had (this was before the changes to Ex items) was the lack of ability to get Royal Jelly
 Leviathan.Zeroburning
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Zeroburning 2011-10-10 14:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

well the reason people buy the stack is because you still can make profit off it and its a great way to skill up if you got the gil to back it up i would recommend using Kitron Macaron while crafting them but me i farm&Buy Dragon meat in Abyssea T for my cooking
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-10-10 14:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Because people fail at basic math. I would bid a max of 240k per stack and not once did I end up buying a stack so I just camped singles. It's the only way unless you have more money than sense!

I'd also say that it's because camping the ah for a dragon meat or two per day is pretty tedious - and the benefit of getting 12 at once is worth the extra cost.
[+]
 Siren.Zeroburning
Server: Siren
By Siren.Zeroburning 2011-10-10 14:43:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea what Terminus Said you could see like 10 on ah but when you go to buy them boom they gone in a flash
 Valefor.Mess
Server: Valefor
user: Castielx
By Valefor.Mess 2011-10-25 03:57:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I did Sweet Rice Cakes and stalked the crap out of the AH for the Fresh Mugwort. (I was checking this site like 15 times a day, it was bad) It's going to cost you a good chunk of gil by the time you reach 99 though, unless you go farm them yourself. Good luck if that's the route you take.

When I finally hit 99, I did Cursed Soup. Jumped on BST, pulled out Dipper and killed Bees in a circle near the entrance inside Crawler's Nest. If I remember correctly it took me three trips to the Nest, killing Bees until Dipper despawned before I had enough Jelly to hit 100. So, for those keeping count, about 6 hours of farming altogether which I didn't think was all that bad.
 Sylph.Aleeanne
Server: Sylph
user: Aleeanne
By Sylph.Aleeanne 2011-10-27 08:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

well i'm still on that final leg 98.6 atm but i have been doing the red curry. i have the items needed to do cursed soup no problem from friends of mine gardening, but its the lack of royal jelly's I have had issues with. Thanks to Grounds of Valor in the CN and certain ppl on my server basicly staking claim to the bees there for pages, its hard to get them unless you get lucky in one of their book burn parties. So i just been doing the curry route. wish the muslums were around a bit earlier or i definately would have used that.
 Lakshmi.Forsell
Server: Lakshmi
user: Forsell
By Lakshmi.Forsell 2011-10-27 08:28:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I took the cursed soup road.

But then, I had prepared and had all my mules growing Kitrons weeks in advance.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-10-27 08:52:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Nowadays, cursed soup is pretty silly. You will get to 100 much faster camping the AH for dragon meat than camping CN for royal jelly. Not to mention you'll make a profit.
 Lakshmi.Forsell
Server: Lakshmi
user: Forsell
By Lakshmi.Forsell 2011-10-27 09:07:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. However this was around four years ago when Dragon Meat wasn't in abundance.