WHM macro question
First Page 2
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2011-09-13 10:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

OK so mage macros have always been awful to execute for me. Up until now I have been limited to taking an entire ctrl/alt set for any particular spell.

Ex. 1=cure6 <me>, 2= cure6 <p1>, 3= cure6 <p2> etc....

Needless to say this can lead to very large macro systems that take up multiple books when you think about all the individual spells that could make use of their own ctrl/alt sets. What I'm wondering is if there is anyway to combine windower, spellcast, and macros to prompt me for a target after I execute the macro. Not sure how to do this but ideally what I'd like to have happen is to hit one cure6 macro then be prompted for a target, from then i could simple key up F1-F6 (with ctrl and alt) to execute. I think with practice it could be more efficient if not far more simpler.
 Asura.Xenophire
Server: Asura
user: Xenophire
By Asura.Xenophire 2011-09-13 11:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

If I'm understanding you, you could change your syntax to <stnpc>. What that does is have yourself still targeted, but have another cursor appear above whatever target you want to cure.
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2011-09-13 11:03:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Simple, just use <stpt>, theres no need to do <p1, etc> unless your duo-boxing or something.

Spellcast will kick in when your actually casting Cure.

edit: sorry forgot to mention that I usually use <stpt> and in rare cases <stal> to cure alliance members.
 Phoenix.Cathaldus
Server: Phoenix
user: DanielH
By Phoenix.Cathaldus 2011-09-13 11:06:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Would it not be better to just use <stpt> or <stal> removes the blinking problem too.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-09-13 11:06:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Use <stal> for alliance spells, and <stpt> for party-only spells. They will place the cursor on your party/alliance list (instead of over the character's head) after executing the macro. If you use any other post-macro selection, gear swapping will cause it to cancel (unless you use blinkmenot).
[+]
 Bahamut.Dannyl
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2011-09-13 11:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

yup, just realized that and edited.
 Asura.Xenophire
By Asura.Xenophire 2011-09-13 11:07:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Cathaldus said: »
Would it not be better to just use <stpt> or <stal> removes the blinking problem too.
If they're using Spellcast, they should be using BlinkMeNot, too. xD Or, you would hope.
 Odin.Eddx
Server: Odin
user: Edd
By Odin.Eddx 2011-09-13 11:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Test it out yourself to find what you like, but personally I use <stpc> as opposed to <st> as it only targets player characters as opposed to anything.
 Asura.Werdxi
user: drewxi
By Asura.Werdxi 2011-09-13 11:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

i personally just press F1-F6 to pretarget my dying partner and i have cure1-6 as control 1-6. i know most white mages seem to like the whole <st> thing but i dont want to assume that "said person" is going to take dmg and press my macro early so all i have to do is press enter then all of a sudden the mob isnt paralyzed or "said person" needs haste and i have to back out of the <st> to do something. as well as the <st> function means one more button i have to press (enter) in order to cure ppl. in hardcore cases, that one second i took extra could make or break the death of them. i generally just take note of whos doing what, where they are, and what that mob tends to do, then pretarget the person most likely to take dmg via F-keys then just press the cure when the dmg is taken. but everybody will find what fits their needs.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-09-13 11:23:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Werdxi said: »
i personally just press F1-F6 to pretarget my dying partner and i have cure1-6 as control 1-6. i know most white mages seem to like the whole <st> thing but i dont want to assume that "said person" is going to take dmg and press my macro early so all i have to do is press enter then all of a sudden the mob isnt paralyzed or "said person" needs haste and i have to back out of the <st> to do something. as well as the <st> function means one more button i have to press (enter) in order to cure ppl. in hardcore cases, that one second i took extra could make or break the death of them. i generally just take note of whos doing what, where they are, and what that mob tends to do, then pretarget the person most likely to take dmg via F-keys then just press the cure when the dmg is taken. but everybody will find what fits their needs.
You can still pretarget using F1-F6 if you use <st> <stpc> <stpt> or <stal>, the selector will start on whoever you have targeted.
 Bahamut.Bekisa
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2011-09-13 11:54:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I just scroll up/down on the alliance list, have always done so. Never liked used stpc ... <t> works just fine for me.
 Bismarck.Recaldy
Server: Bismarck
user: Recaldy
By Bismarck.Recaldy 2011-09-13 12:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Bekisa said: »
I just scroll up/down on the alliance list, have always done so. Never liked used stpc ... <t> works just fine for me.
I do this. Usualy find myself going left to right out of habbit though.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-09-13 12:20:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Nausi, your avatar makes me want to punch babies.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
Server: Carbuncle
user: Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-09-13 12:27:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Bekisa said: »

<stal> allows you to cycle through the alliance list it's similar to stpc but better, should give it a try over using <t>
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2011-09-13 12:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
Nausi, your avatar makes me want to punch babies.

Your avatar makes me understand why...

:P

Phoenix.Kirana said: »
Use <stal> for alliance spells, and <stpt> for party-only spells. They will place the cursor on your party/alliance list (instead of over the character's head) after executing the macro. If you use any other post-macro selection, gear swapping will cause it to cancel (unless you use blinkmenot).

So if I /ma "cure6" <stpt> and then hit F1-F6, the function key will cast the spell onto the party member? Or will I need to hit enter after the function key to complete the action?
 Asura.Werdxi
By Asura.Werdxi 2011-09-13 12:30:58
Link | Quote | Reply

you'll press F-6 and it'll hover over their name. then you press enter. why i said i didnt like it. but its a good way to select a large group of ppl at once to cure
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2011-09-13 12:37:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Werdxi said: »
you'll press F-6 and it'll hover over their name. then you press enter. why i said i didnt like it. but its a good way to select a large group of ppl at once to cure

Hmm, anyone know how to link the function keys in windower to add that last step?

Would that sacrifice the ability to swap targets using the function keys without pressing the esc key first?
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-09-13 12:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

hmmm

you could probably do something like this with just spellcast and windower scripts using binds for F1-6

If you know the persons's name beforehand, you can do it that way and you can cure outside of the pt/alliance easy, if you just want it for your party then you can use the <p1> in the windower scripts and have them set a variable in spellcast while also casting the spell, but maybe not cure but rather something else like a song.

This way when you use cure, spellcast will cancel the spell ignoring it while windower scripts tells you to cast a song and in turn change the spell to a cure. It would then use the variable changed by the windower scripts to determine which target it would cast, and cast it on that target when you hit F6.

I'm not sure if its all worth it though to be honest, could go about it much easier other ways.
 Fenrir.Niniann
Server: Fenrir
user: Ninian
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-09-13 12:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

When curing alliances, if you have windower/spellcast, just make aliases to cure. Example manually type /ma cure naus or //cure naus, if you wanted to cure Nausi, etc.

By the time you're tabbing through people in <stal> someone's going to die before you select them. :x
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2011-09-13 12:43:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niniann said: »
When curing alliances, if you have windower/spellcast, just make aliases to cure. Example manually type /ma cure naus, if you wanted to cure Nausi, etc.

By the time you're tabbing through people in <stal> someone's going to die before you select them. :x

Yeah but you'd need to revise that before any event you did. Bleh....

If you have a target group limited to the members of your alliance all you need to do is work the ctrl/alt-function keys to grab the right person. Its much quicker than tab-ing your way there.
 Bismarck.Recaldy
Server: Bismarck
user: Recaldy
By Bismarck.Recaldy 2011-09-13 12:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Easier if you just change keyboard config to "Compact" and bind up to I down to K and pretty much make a second wasd for menu and options. Ofcourse, this is coming from a controller user.
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-09-13 12:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

If you have a target group limited to the members of your alliance all you need to do is work the ctrl/alt-function keys to grab the right person. Its much quicker than tab-ing your way there.

I'm not saying make a macro, I'm saying type it every time you need to cure. It's infinitely faster than any other way(unless your wpm is low as ***). :/
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2011-09-13 13:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the easiest solution is to just further bind the function keys to hit enter after their specific targeting capacity. That way each spell is only a two button process, macro button, then function key.

Anyone know how to modify the binds on the function keys that windower implements?
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-09-13 13:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the easiest solution is to just further bind the function keys to hit enter after their specific targeting capacity. That way each spell is only a two button process, macro button, then function key.

Anyone know how to modify the binds on the function keys that windower implements?
Try asking on the windower forum's if no one answers, although I cant' imagine that someone doesn't know how.
 Asura.Werdxi
By Asura.Werdxi 2011-09-13 13:05:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Another absolutely random thing you can do, to make F-key targeting easier is to obtain a keyboard that has F-keys separated in groups of 3 instead of 4. i specifically have a keyboard that does that because a large amount of what i do on my computer consists of FFXI. not saying you need to do it NOW, but having the 1st half of the pt on 1st group of keys and last half on 2nd group makes targeting surprisingly easier.
 Cerberus.Quipto
Server: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2011-09-13 13:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niniann said: »

I'm not saying make a macro, I'm saying type it every time you need to cure. It's infinitely faster than any other way(unless your wpm is low as ***). :/
This, so much. I can't honestly remember the last time i've actually used a macro for whm. Everything I do is physically typed. Then again, I type 82 WPM so might be harder for some people :\
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-09-13 13:44:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Quipto said: »
This, so much. I can't honestly remember the last time i've actually used a macro for whm. Everything I do is physically typed. Then again, I type 82 WPM so might be harder for some people :\

Yeah, same. I actually macro cures for my party (alt+3 F2 is slightly faster than typing), and some job abilities (sublimation, divine caress, celerity, etc) and that's about it. Hastes, -nas, outside party cures are all done by typing. The only issues this has ever given me is that whenever I do /ma cure night, it does Hellknight instead of Nightfyre when I'm with my LS. I need to get used to doing 'fyre'. Other issue I run into is my fingers type faster than my brain processes and I type paralnya or something like that. I only misspell paralyna, idfk. :(

Also as stated above, my WPM is 80~90 (can't sit down and take the test because typing so fast for more than a few seconds makes my wrists hurt like crazy)
 Hades.Cheyne
Server: Hades
user: Cheyne
By Hades.Cheyne 2011-09-13 13:53:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninnian is master of all knowledge!

But I do the same derp typing on my mule too.

Gets annoying when it takes me 2-3 tries to finally get it.
 Asura.Xenophire
By Asura.Xenophire 2011-09-13 13:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a fast typist, so all my -na spells and outside party actions are typed out. Esuna is typed out, Raises... Anything aside from my Cures, Haste, SS, Erase, Pro/Shell Macro unless it's single target are typed. Lol.

Though, typing out //refersh and //wrap is kind of amusing. Lol.
First Page 2