Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Odin » low leveling question
low leveling question
By Goobernutt 2011-09-02 00:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi. I'm a returning player. I had stopped playing for 3 years and now that I'm back, so much has changed to this game. But now I noticed that there are practically no level players on to have an xp party with. I remember partying at the dunes till level 20, getting your subjob along the way, then heading to jeuno. What happened?

Now I hear you have to solo most of the way up. Ive got all of the starting jobs except warrior up to level 10. I've been leveling up in East Sarubarata or however its spelled. Outside of Windurst. Where do I go next? And what do I fight? Thanks :)
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-09-02 00:07:33
Link | Quote | Reply

tahrongi canyon, you can check fields of valor for which mobs to kill.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-09-02 00:24:12
Link | Quote | Reply

XP has been doubled across the board, and FoV pages are not limited (for exp). It's very easy to solo to 20 now, and you can get a pt in qufim/gusgen mines until 30. At 30, most people leech to 90 in abyssea.
 Fenrir.Kaomii
Server: Fenrir
user: Kaomii
By Fenrir.Kaomii 2011-09-02 00:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

This will quickly become your best friend! ^^ Just focus on the pages you can easily finish quickly.

Personally, I start in West Sarutabaruta doing Page 5 until about 10. There are plenty of yagudo and bees around the outpost.

Once you're in the 10~12 range, head to Tahrongi Canyon and do Page 4. Again, there are a lot of Mandies and Bees around the Craig of Mea. You'll want to stay here until level 17 or 18.

Once you're 17~18, head to Buburimu Peninsula and do page 1. Again, lots of mandies and rabbits around the outpost. When you first arrive, mandies should check as "decent challenge" and rabbits can check as high as "tough". Once you get to around level 20, you'll be able to chain-finish this page like the previous pages. Do this page til 25.

Once you're 25, you have a choice. You can either stay in Buburimu Peninsula and do page 3, or you can head to Valkurm Dunes and do page 4 or 5. I prefer Valkurm because the trial targets are right around the outpost. Do this til level 30.

At level 30, you'll be able to enter Abyssea. If you have a group of friends willing to let you come along for the free experience points, have at it! If you want to keep soloing, you can go to Qufim Island next. Start with page 1 or 2 and move down the list as you feel more comfortable killing the higher level monsters.

You'll have to blaze your own trail after this. ^^; As long as you keep that Field Manual page bookmarked, you should be able to pick a location and page number that works best for you. Good luck~
 Bismarck.Tonythetaru
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Tonythetaru 2011-09-02 00:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

grounds of valor is better. maze of shakhrami is pretty good. i went there at 14; took dnc 14-30 in about 2 hours trioing.
 Fenrir.Kaomii
By Fenrir.Kaomii 2011-09-02 01:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, looking at the pages for the Grounds Tome, it does look quite a bit better. Actually, all the page rewards inside of Shakhrami are, at the very least, doubled what you would receive from Buburimu. Give that a try, too.
 Cerberus.Quipto
Server: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2011-09-02 01:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Grounds of Valor is the best you can get. I took every job I had from 20-50 in Outer Horutoto Ruins. Use the southern most tower in West Saruta. Page exp increases every time you complete one also.
But you can basically go from 1-50 in that zone alone.
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2011-09-02 01:44:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said: »
qufim/gusgen mines until 30. At 30, most people leech to 90 in abyssea.
Fenrir.Kaomii said: »

At level 30, you'll be able to enter Abyssea.
/sigh
[+]
 Fenrir.Niniann
user: Ninian
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-09-02 01:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Crawler's Nest is a very very popular place to do GoV along with Gusgen Mines. idr levels on either place though, sorry. :(
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-09-02 01:57:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skadoosh said: »
Phoenix.Kirana said: »
qufim/gusgen mines until 30. At 30, most people leech to 90 in abyssea.
Fenrir.Kaomii said: »

At level 30, you'll be able to enter Abyssea.
/sigh

Because grinding to 90 is totally a better alternative that is much more thrilling and engaging than anything else you could be doing with the 50+ hours you save yourself by getting to 90 in abyssea!

Totally.

And it's very possible I undershot by miles on the amount of time you save.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pukushu
Server: Cerberus
user: pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2011-09-02 02:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

camps:
i do all jobs 1-12 in e. saruta (pretty much anywhere on the south half of the map that you can find a mob). i get the ring and for the first few levels i do pages. towards 8+ i dont even bother most of the time with pages. its faster without going back for them constantly. 8+ its how fast can i kill an ep and move on to the next one without resting. very important is always get regen from FoV. refresh if you are a mage. eat a food.

next section is 12(ish)-18+ (you can stop at 18ish if you can you the next part otherwise go to 20ish). i fight near the spire of mea (tahrongi H6, I5-7). there is a FoV book there. it is easy to get to and the mobs around there are plentiful and abundant. you can even make a little money off some of the stuff they drop (wind crystals, honey, chips and cotton). again do pages when it is convenient and later levels just kill ep's as fast as you can without resting.

finally from 20-25(ish) i go to buburimu (E7-F7) and fight near the outpost. again its super easy to get to. it has a FoV right there and fairly easy mobs. down side is, it is fairly popular. so you might have competition.

from there you should have an easier time finding a pt. you can also try to duo in buburimu with an 18 for your next few levels, or solo in the dunes (F8-I8) till 30. again the outpost is the best spot. start with pages and move on to killing ep's.

notes:

xp related:
the key here is xp/hr NOT xp/kill. its faster to never have to rest than to kill some em and have to rest every 1-3 fights. by killing ep's with regen from FoV and the random potions found in chests you wont have to rest very often (if at all). also remember get some gear and use food. i found it good to invest in some gear and level all of my jobs from 1-30 with the same gear rather than taking 1 job at a time. if you have a tool that tells you your xp/hr, you should be moving to the next camp by the time you fall under 4k/hr. with a ring and /cor i would get up to 11k/hr. you can get each job to 30 in probably 6-8 hours if you are good.

FoV related:
pages i used were e. saruta 2 > 3 > 6
tahrongi 4
buburimu 1
dunes 4
ALWAYS get regen and protect. situational are shell and refresh. get reraise if you arnt confident you can stay alive, but everywhere past e. saruta should have raises walking by with some frequency.

Item related:
wear armor and upgrade it. around lvl 1,7,12,17 are the major upgrades. not wearing or not upgrading will make you rest more (less xp/hr). also use a weapon and upgrade it. i would invest in the +1 of the weapon. they are fairly abundant and fairly cheep. they help a lot. i look on ffxiah to find the best dps for my job. i also use a weapon as my primary dmg for mages as well. you just have to always rest if you rely in magic damage. i try to use items that multiple jobs can use and level in bunches so that i can get rid of the stuff as soon as i am done leveling. eat food. i probably would start off with jack o lantern or possibly meat jerky. even the mages get melee food unless by chance you have cassie earring, in which case i might use melon pie for the mp that the earring eats up. (this is an excellent earring for low level solo.

other notable items include mighty ring, vision ring, orphic egg or happy egg, battle gloves, cmp, eye circlet, emperor(es) hairpin]), leaping(bounding) boots,pile chain, spike necklace, warrior's belt +1 or brave belt, traveler's mantle, namad's mantle +1 and this is a great item if you plan on partying at lower levels for mages pilgrim's wand.

job related:
if you have sub jobs i would take /cor over anything else (see cor roll). nothing any sub can offer you is worth having till /dnc gets waltz at job30/sub15 unless you dont have cor. other options if you dont have cor are (in order of relative importance): /brd see paeon, requiem, possible other songs when paeon isnt needed, /whm see cure and possibly dia if mp is in abundance. you could /nin at job20/sub10 which would give you dual wield and then shadows at job24/sub12, but at this point honestly you should have /cor for cor roll cause you shouldnt be fighting anything you need shadows for anyway.

tldr:
step 1: use updated armor and weapons. eat food. always have regen and protect on. fight ep for faster kills and greater xp/hr.
step 2:
step 3: profit!

ps sorry im not quite sure how to link those items into my post. hope this helps anyway :)
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2011-09-02 02:03:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't say you should grind to 90, I just think its lame to give that kind of advice to someone who is just returning. I mean you could at least wait till 42 when you get Cure III /WHM, to be useful for SOMETHING other than leeching.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-09-02 02:06:15
Link | Quote | Reply

*** that, just leech.
[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-09-02 02:06:36
Link | Quote | Reply

cure 3 is useful?
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2011-09-02 02:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lorzy said: »
cure 3 is useful?
Compared to leeching, absolutely. It's not like you're getting raped in EXP party, people just need persistent healing.
 Asura.Silvaria
Server: Asura
By Asura.Silvaria 2011-09-02 02:17:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, you can take a job from 30 to 90 in Abyssea, and this says it all:

http://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots/52866
[+]
By Damiyen 2011-09-02 02:19:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
*** that, just leech.
 Fenrir.Kaomii
By Fenrir.Kaomii 2011-09-02 02:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skadoosh said: »
I didn't say you should grind to 90, I just think its lame to give that kind of advice to someone who is just returning. I mean you could at least wait till 42 when you get Cure III /WHM, to be useful for SOMETHING other than leeching.

Bad players will always be bad, etc.

Do I really need to explain the importance of having at least one level capped job in a team-oriented game experiencing the later stages of it's development life in which end-game content is top-heavy?
By Damiyen 2011-09-02 02:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Silvaria said: »
Sure, you can take a job from 30 to 90 in Abyssea, and this says it all:

http://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots/52866
 Ramuh.Laffter
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2011-09-02 02:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Need moar 1 damage weapons!
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-09-02 02:31:39
Link | Quote | Reply

i get the point that you don't think he should be totally useless because we don't know if he has friends who can let him leech, but if i were leading an xp group it probably wouldn't make a difference to me if he had cure 3 or not.
 Ramuh.Austar
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-09-02 02:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lorzy said: »
i get the point that you don't think he should be totally useless because we don't know if he has friends who can let him leech, but if i were leading an xp group it probably wouldn't make a difference to me if he had cure 3 or not.
wouldn't matter to me, I'd be afk.
[+]
 Odin.Goobernutt
Server: Odin
By Odin.Goobernutt 2011-09-02 20:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you everyone for all of your tips. I will definitely make progress in the game. Hows the economy in the game? Still the same? I've been working on clothcraft when I was outside windurst. As soon as yagudo necklaces have dropped I would make grass thread.
By Hohenheim 2011-09-02 20:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Goobernutt said: »
Thank you everyone for all of your tips. I will definitely make progress in the game. Hows the economy in the game? Still the same? I've been working on clothcraft when I was outside windurst. As soon as yagudo necklaces have dropped I would make grass thread.

Lvl fishing, turn in gp until 95k and buy serpent rumors, then get an ebisu and fish hakuryu. Best thing to do imo.

Stuffs not terribly expensive, and you can get easy gil through cruor and dominion ops notes too.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-09-02 20:49:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Hohenheim said: »

Lvl fishing, turn in gp until 95k and buy serpent rumors, then get an ebisu and fish hakuryu. Best thing to do imo.

Stuffs not terribly expensive, and you can get easy gil through cruor and dominion ops notes too.
Fishing Hakuryu is definitely a solid income, but if you really want to make a lot of gil get into doing dynamis as often as you can as well.

Some people cant stand fishing though, so that might not be for you.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-09-02 20:52:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
Hohenheim said: »

Fishing Hakuryu is definitely a solid income, but if you really want to make a lot of gil get into doing dynamis as often as you can as well.

Some people cant stand fishing though, so that might not be for you.

<_< I don't think anyone fishes >_> That's the point of ebisu..more rl time.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-09-02 20:54:54
Link | Quote | Reply

>.> think a majority are just too lazy to do the work :p

I actually enjoy it.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-09-02 20:58:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually enjoy it.

You can't fish hakuryu on anything but ps2 (so ive heard, i can't on pc nor anyone else I know)especially without using fishing rings..and if you have to get rings, then thats just a waste of time, in game and out.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-09-02 20:59:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Hohenheim said: »

I actually enjoy it.

You can't fish hakuryu on anything but ps2 (so ive heard, i can't on pc nor anyone else I know)especially without using fishing rings..and if you have to get rings, then thats just a waste of time, in game and out.
It's easier on PS2 because it doesn't move as fast or something.