Carabosse Strategies?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » NMs » Carabosse Strategies?
Carabosse Strategies?
By Starkzz 2011-08-28 22:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Msthief said: »
As a Ninja with 2500 hp in la theine, Tornado II was the only thing that could one shot me with shell5 up (no mdb gear). I don't -think- Aero V was able to do it but -aga4 never one shotted me.

Cara casts aga IV? when'd that happen lawl.
 Quetzalcoatl.Lucieus
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Falsetto
By Quetzalcoatl.Lucieus 2011-08-29 11:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I recently finished my 50/50 Gem's, so I guess I can share some insight which hopefully helps you out.

I did every single fight two-boxed; WHM & THF. Proc'd TH7+ on every fight as well, which subsequently gave me a 100% double gem drop-rate (whether that was luck or TH... who knows)

WHM subbed /RDM for Dispel (removing Carabosse's Protect, Regen, and Regain is crucial for making the fight quicker), with MM/Allure/Apoc atmas. THF just subbed standard /NIN, and just used triple DD Atma's of RR/SS/GH. (Although if you are worried about getting killed, use Apoc instead, I used that in my earlier runs until I got a feel of the fight)

I tried a large variety of different setups for the THF for atma's and gear. I tried using Ascending One Atma (+100 Wind Resist), along with Baraera and some -MDT/-DT gear for about 240+ or so Wind Resistance, and what I realized was it really wasn't worth it in the long run. Carabosse is just full of ***sometimes. I've had times where Aeroga hits for 30 damage, and other times where it hit for high 1700+ using a ton of wind resist. I've had times where Tornado 2 hits for 400, and the supposedly weaker Tornado 1 outright one-shot my THF.

So I just opted to go for all out damage, and the end result was usually the same. I found it safer her to just destroy her before she gets the chance to go all psycho on you. and to be totally honest, after the 15th or so fight with her, I don't even bother using Baraera, since it's effects were negligible for me, and I was lazy.

The fight itself is an absolute snooze-fest, until she uses Winter Breeze; that's when you gotta just wake up and make sure you got shadows up. Even if she stuns and wipes your shadows and starts casting a spell, you should always be able to get Utsu: Ni up before the spell fires off (Got to be real quick though). WHM Cureskin will also help survive the Winter breeze.

All in all, after you do her a handful of times it becomes really easy and painless... But even after knowing the fight, there is literally only one really dangerous combo that she can do that can catch you off-guard;

Summer Breeze -> Cyclonic Torrent (Mute & Shadow-wipe) -> Winter Breeze (Stun) -> Aero V/Tornado II/Tornado

When these are done all in quick succession... it hurts. It's happened to me once in such quick perfect timing (on her part) that the Winter Breeze stunned my Catholicon, and literally just forced me to bend-over and take it.

Hope this helps.
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2011-08-29 11:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I did thf+whm/blm duobox. Haste set + some fast cast atmas for whm and stun anything you think will be annoying.
 Shiva.Kuraneko
Server: Shiva
user: Kuraneko
By Shiva.Kuraneko 2011-08-29 11:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Out of sheer curiosity, would folks think a SMN with Garuda and MM/DG/RR or MC be able to solo Carabosse? Or better off just finding someone to duo to not fail the pop? I don't know much about BST but saw earlier posts of Dipper Yuly soloing it. Thanks~
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2011-08-29 11:27:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Carabosse isn't a challenge, DD + WHM and you're set, if you have an MDT set then that helps but I doubt it's needed.

If you have a lot of help (LS, shout group w/e) Try to proc red at approx 70%, should give you enough time to burn cara down before benediction if you have enough DD, otherwise it's just a slightly longer fight.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-08-29 11:28:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sawtelle said: »
I did thf+whm/blm duobox. Haste set + some fast cast atmas for whm and stun anything you think will be annoying.
I honestly disagree, dispel is better than stun to have imho.
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Blackfiredragon 2011-08-29 17:56:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright, well thanks for the advice from everyone, it really does help because I'm going to have to do this fight 25-50 times cause I need the gems XD.
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2011-08-29 17:58:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
^this. regain, regen, prot, shell, and haste make for a much longer fight.
 Carbuncle.Axle
Server: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-08-29 18:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skadoosh said: »
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
^this. regain, regen, prot, shell, and haste make for a much longer fight.

I liked stun, for mute, no shadows, tornado II.
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2011-08-29 18:22:45
Link | Quote | Reply

my girlfriend tanked ~30 carabosses recently, no stun. I cured her like once a fight.

edit: my only experience without dispel is when it happened to be our yellow trigger. she insisted i not use it again so we would get +2 drops. fight went from about 8 minute average to 20 minute
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-08-29 18:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

my girlfriend tanked ~30 carabosses recently, no stun. I cured her like once a fight.
Had to emphasize she's a girl, huh?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Axle
Server: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-08-29 18:30:53
Link | Quote | Reply

edit: my only experience without dispel is when it happened to be our yellow trigger. she insisted i not use it again so we would get +2 drops. fight went from about 8 minute average to 20 minute

I did most of my 50 gems w/o dispel. Fights were 9-10 min. 20 minutes.... wow that's long. Some of my fights we had dispel spam, don't think it made it twice as fast to kill. Regain was nice to get rid of though.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2011-08-29 19:35:25
Link | Quote | Reply

idk my friend afk kills it with BST using dipper, think its hilarious that i just thro hi's at it to speed it up, MDT set for when mute XD
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
Server: Lakshmi
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2011-08-29 20:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

dipper, + smn with a few predator claws to speed it up
 Leviathan.Alkalinejoe
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Alkalinejoe 2011-08-29 20:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

my girlfriend tanked ~30 carabosses recently,
It's only impressive if she did it while making sammiches and vacuuming.
[+]
 Bismarck.Moonlightespada
MSPaint Winner
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Moonlightespada 2011-08-29 20:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

id just use my fists ;d
By anjisnu 2011-08-29 21:01:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Pooman said: »
Carbuncle.Axle said: »
anjisnu said: »
ill stick to soloing on bst while watching movies

^
by far the easiest, just slow... real slow.

Dipper takes about 30-40 min solo.
Decent 4 man crew, 9-10 min.

On a related note, how does Yuly's TH fare? See more double than single drops?
dippers th is better than my fully decked out thf crafty damn bug lol
 Bahamut.Ozwaldo
Server: Bahamut
user: Ozwaldo
By Bahamut.Ozwaldo 2011-08-29 21:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kiaru said: »
Cara is a complete joke with very little accuracy, no need to put on MDT atmas, use your highest DPS atmas. Killing her faster is better because then she has less of a chance to be a crazy psycho on you(she loves to do this sometimes <_<). Just always refresh shell5 when she dispels it and swap to mdt gear/stun -ga's/tornado2 when no shadows up and you're stunned etc.
This and maybe toss in a baraera if possible. I usually go whm and mnk because of mnks hp. If she sneaks in a ill timed tornado 2 it usually wont kill you.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2011-08-29 22:06:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
Bahamut.Ozwaldo said: »
Sylph.Kiaru said: »
Cara is a complete joke with very little accuracy, no need to put on MDT atmas, use your highest DPS atmas. Killing her faster is better because then she has less of a chance to be a crazy psycho on you(she loves to do this sometimes <_<). Just always refresh shell5 when she dispels it and swap to mdt gear/stun -ga's/tornado2 when no shadows up and you're stunned etc.
This and maybe toss in a baraera if possible. I usually go whm and mnk because of mnks hp. If she sneaks in a ill timed tornado 2 it usually wont kill you.
You consider Carabosse a complete joke. You have thief lvled and willingly fight as MNK + WHM without TH?......
Unless your main goal is afflictors for some new friend you want to embaress, wtf?

bro everyone knows TH is just a placebo effect.
/sarcasm