Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » INT vs Magic Accuracy
INT vs Magic Accuracy
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2009-04-17 00:59:28
Link | Quote | Reply

So I just got a Sapphire Earring from an Ivory Key and it has Magic Accuracy +2. My earrings are Moldy and just an INT+1 earring. BLM is my first mage and I don't know the inner-workings of every stat, but I assume M.ACC +2 is better than INT+1. But what would be better than the M.ACC +2 earring?
 Siren.Antigod
Server: Siren
user: AnTi90d
By Siren.Antigod 2009-04-17 01:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

This:

http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=14808
[+]
 Bahamut.Bojack
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2009-04-17 01:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok :P. I refine my question to: Something buyable from the AH.
 Caitsith.Bamill
Server: Caitsith
user: bamill
By Caitsith.Bamill 2009-04-17 02:08:51
Link | Quote | Reply

depends on the rest of your setup

MAcc +2 for Elemental magic is roughly equal to 2 Elemental Magic Skill
if you're goin' around sporting the lolCobra Unit Cloche set i'd use it.

it's also a nice earring to macro in for enfeebles(if you dont have Enfeebling Earring) and Dark Magic(Aspir/Drain/Stun) if you don't have a Dark Earring.

otherwise good ol' Morion Earring +1 or Phantom Earring +1 would be your best bet until you can snag a Novio Earring :D
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-04-17 02:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bojack said:
So I just got a Sapphire Earring from an Ivory Key and it has Magic Accuracy +2. My earrings are Moldy and just an INT+1 earring. BLM is my first mage and I don't know the inner-workings of every stat, but I assume M.ACC +2 is better than INT+1. But what would be better than the M.ACC +2 earring?

Right in terms you should understand if you are a melee.

M.acc and skill are roughly equivalant to ACC and only improves the accuracy of the spells, not the damage. You will learn to have builds with differing m.acc/skill depending on the target eg: at merit camps you need 0 extra m.acc/skill to land your spells, against HNM you want 320+ skill and m.acc

INT is the approximatly the mage equivalant of STR and DEX. It improves your dINT (basically fSTR for nukes) and your m.acc.

MAB the closest thing a melee gets to this is attack, but attack is addative in the melee damage equation (fSTR + pDIF), in nukes it is a multiple (Base damage * MAB). For tier 4 nukes, 1 MAB will give the roughly the same increase as 2 INT.

Ok, to the actually question:
I would use the INT earring unless you need the m.acc. There is no point in a melee stacking acc gear after being reaching the acc cap. So unless you are having trouble with resists, use the INT earring.
[+]
 Asura.Slamm
Server: Asura
user: Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-19 00:36:21
Link | Quote | Reply

use abyssal earring if you can get it

if you get resists, u can decide by how much int u have compared to mobs int.

usually have to guess mobs int but a lot of hnm have 110 ish
so 120int is nice for those

1 magic accuracy = 1% increase in hit rate when u have 50% or higher current hit rate

.5% hit rate when you have under 50% currently

1 int = 1% hit rate until u have 10more than mobs int, then any more int added on will be .5%

anyone who says otherwise hasn't viewed recent tests done which you can find under magic accuracy on wiki
 Asura.Shamaya
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2009-04-19 01:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Magic_Accuracy

What Slamm said. I was gonna post something more particular but I wasn't aware of the recent tests he mentioned until now.

I'm a little surprised by those results. People usually say that you should stack skill and magic accuracy instead of int if your resists seem to be getting heavy, but this recent information would seem to indicate that int is always superior, since it adds equivalent (or more) hit rate, and also base damage as well. Hmm..

That was the general tenet of old though; that on HNM's, or when you're getting heavy resist, start stacking a bunch of magic acc to a point.
 Garuda.Ishkur
Server: Garuda
user: Ishkur
By Garuda.Ishkur 2009-04-19 01:49:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Argettio said:
Bojack said:

Right in terms you should understand if you are a melee.

M.acc and skill are roughly equivalant to ACC and only improves the accuracy of the spells, not the damage. You will learn to have builds with differing m.acc/skill depending on the target eg: at merit camps you need 0 extra m.acc/skill to land your spells, against HNM you want 320+ skill and m.acc

INT is the approximatly the mage equivalant of STR and DEX. It improves your dINT (basically fSTR for nukes) and your m.acc.

MAB the closest thing a melee gets to this is attack, but attack is addative in the melee damage equation (fSTR + pDIF), in nukes it is a multiple (Base damage * MAB). For tier 4 nukes, 1 MAB will give the roughly the same increase as 2 INT.

Ok, to the actually question:
I would use the INT earring unless you need the m.acc. There is no point in a melee stacking acc gear after being reaching the acc cap. So unless you are having trouble with resists, use the INT earring.

If I could rate up your post I would. Best explanation I've read :O
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-04-19 02:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Argettio said:
(fSTR + pDIF)

Just correcting this bit unless I've misunderstood you, but the melee damage equation is

(D + fSTR) * Pdif

for normal hits so similar to magic damage, it is also multiplicative.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-19 03:59:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shamaya said:
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Magic_Accuracy

What Slamm said. I was gonna post something more particular but I wasn't aware of the recent tests he mentioned until now.

I'm a little surprised by those results. People usually say that you should stack skill and magic accuracy instead of int if your resists seem to be getting heavy, but this recent information would seem to indicate that int is always superior, since it adds equivalent (or more) hit rate, and also base damage as well. Hmm..

That was the general tenet of old though; that on HNM's, or when you're getting heavy resist, start stacking a bunch of magic acc to a point.

yeh i think everyone used to believe that, i know i once did.
also means nashira pants are ***, cept for the haste, blm can use genie leg and rdm mahatma slops/morrigan slops for enfeebles
i know i get a lot less resist going with mix of both than full magic acc/skill, unless the mob has low int.
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-19 07:27:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Shamaya said:

Or... Magic Burst. People tends to forget that also.

SE gaves us a way to nuke with +25 MaCC (not to mention the damage boost and natual MaCC boost from nuking on a MB), BLM should use it. I understand that nobody wants to SC>MB anymore on regular mobs, but on NM it shouldn't be that hard to set up a Light or Darkness SC.

Quote:
yeh i think everyone used to believe that, i know i once did.

Not really, everyone knew you'd need a mix of Elemental skill and INT, that's kinda why BLM wants to upgrade their AF hands. Typical example. Everyone also heard about the "320/120" rule etc...

Quote:
also means nashira pants are ***, cept for the haste, blm can use genie leg and rdm mahatma slops/morrigan slops for enfeebles

Yeah they are, and that's why I always rage when I see a BLM using these. Makes the player wearing them completely HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, because most of the time he wanna looks cool in is nashira pants, the thing is they fail versus igqira legs (not even talking about genie, which are kinda expensive).
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-04-19 07:27:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Raenryong said:
Argettio said:
(fSTR + pDIF)

Just correcting this bit unless I've misunderstood you, but the melee damage equation is

(D + fSTR) * Pdif

for normal hits so similar to magic damage, it is also multiplicative.

Ah ok, thats my mistake, as you may have guessed from first post, I play mages.

As Pdif is (your attack)/(monster defence) it is a much lower fraction than (your MAB)/(monsters MDB).

As most monsters MDB = 1, but obviously thier defence raises with level.

This is why stacking Attack has a smaller affect on your melee damage then MAB with spells.

Which is where my confusion came from
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-19 08:03:37
Link | Quote | Reply

true i guess the 320/120 thing is pretty old now

but nice to see how it works so well
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-04-19 14:47:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Slamm said:

Wat

Enfeebling magic skill +5 Magic Accuracy+3

Converting that into macc terms;

Macc+8~

Taking +8INT as 0.75macc per point (average between 1 when dINT <= +10 and 0.5 when dINT > +10 ... in reality it will be +0.5 a lot of the time), you're getting 6macc out of that. Often 4.

4 or 6 > 8? <_<

Even Morrigan's will get 7.5 macc and more often 5 macc.

MND of course is different due to it affecting para/slow potency~
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-04-19 16:23:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Raenryong said:
Slamm said:

Wat

Macc+8~

Taking +8INT as 0.75macc per point (average between 1 when dINT <= +10 and 0.5 when dINT > +10 ... in reality it will be +0.5 a lot of the time), you're getting 6macc out of that. Often 4.

4 or 6 > 8? <_<

How useful any peice of gear, is very much dependant on the rest of the set. Nash legs have their place, but only were you have INT on other slots.

Your first aim should be to break the [Target INT +10 <= Casters INT], if you haven't hit this point then you are better off stacking more INT. After that you stack your skill (if your enfeebling).

Where you get that INT is up to you, this depends on what gear you have. Although they also make for a great screen shot of your 350+ enfeebling skill :P

That said BLM shouldnt use them, their JSE (genie) have more m.acc and you only lose a little haste.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-19 19:22:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Argettio said:
Raenryong said:
Slamm said:

Wat

Macc+8~

4 or 6 > 8? <_<

How useful any peice of gear, is very much dependant on the rest of the set. Nash legs have their place, but only were you have INT on other slots.

Your first aim should be to break the [Target INT +10 <= Casters INT], if you haven't hit this point then you are better off stacking more INT. After that you stack your skill (if your enfeebling).

Where you get that INT is up to you, this depends on what gear you have. Although they also make for a great screen shot of your 350+ enfeebling skill :P

That said BLM shouldnt use them, their JSE (genie) have more m.acc and you only lose a little haste.

this pretty much sums it up,for most hnm nashira only if mahatma would break u past 120ish,otherwise its either same or half as good as mahatma
depending on your current magic hit rate.

8 int = 4% magic hit rate if you have 10 more than mobs int already b4 applying these, otherwise its 8% (unless your taru i dont see this being much of a problem on most hnm)

also if mnd enfeeble, its same for mnd also

nashira = 4% magic hit rare if u have under 50% magic hit rate
if u have over 50% it becomes 8%

hume rdm/whm got 70int with full int merit.

normal gear ud have about +40 ish (mahatma slop, gleeman cape,witch sash, goliard clogs,snow ring,omega ring,phantom tathlum,mahatma cuffs,abyssal earring.)

=110 int with mahatma equipped, so > nashira on most hnm like that
sure could get +7int with food but most of the time gonna be using goblin mushpot for mnd enfeebles or wizard cookies for hmp.

maybe worse for taru if they got a lot of int.

any mob with low int but retardedly high magic resistance to a certian element, nashira become better but worse than AH gear most of the time still, i keep mine in mog now unless im rdm/nin tanking
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-04-19 21:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

But using those formulae, AT BEST Mahatma EQUALS Nashira... minus the haste.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-20 13:08:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Raenryong said:
But using those formulae, AT BEST Mahatma EQUALS Nashira... minus the haste.

no, at best one of them doubles the other.