Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » Skilling up staff as WHM
Skilling up staff as WHM
 Bismarck.Mikeyc
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: mikeyc
By Bismarck.Mikeyc 2011-07-26 16:11:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm 90 WHM and have gotten staff to 238 in the Boyhada Tree. However Steelshells are giving me practically no skill ups anymore, even with the foods. I've seen the guides on wiki and some posts on here that suggests the Druriumshell in Vunkerl Inlet (S) are good since they are level 90-95; but won't these pulverise me solo? My skill works out at about level 77 (C+) so won't those be a bit high anyway? I'm not really interested in joining a group that will just want me to spam cures and haste 24/7 instead of attacking.

If all else fails I could always level up my MNK or PLD from 75 to 90 and level Staff with one of them, although that sounds a bit drastic.

Any Suggestions?
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-07-26 16:17:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure how well it would go, but you could try popping a T1 VNM in east ron or somewhere and fight the crabs, they aren't that bad for a whm. I'm not sure though, hopefully others will respond
 Fenrir.Camaroz
Server: Fenrir
user: camaroz
By Fenrir.Camaroz 2011-07-26 16:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Abyssea Grauberg Flux 8 Pots /sam would make it easier. did club and staff
 Bismarck.Patrik
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2011-07-26 16:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

i've never done it myself, but the zvahl fortalice seems to be a pretty popular way to skill up. here is the link to the wiki page
 Carbuncle.Jabel
Server: Carbuncle
user: Jabel
By Carbuncle.Jabel 2011-07-26 16:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

You only need DC mobs for skills, so why not try some Mandy in Abby Tahrongi. With a healer to help you can go /Mnk and use Counterstance with 3-4 Mandy for fun. Skill-ups come very fast this way.
[+]
 Bismarck.Faelar
user: Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2011-07-26 16:21:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Abyssea-Tahrongi, mandies. Regen/Regain Atmas...just keep Haste up and go to town.

Club you can do the same thing, just /nin ofc.

For anything related to weapons (skilling up or breaking WS's) this is what I usually do. Mandies aren't very tough and the regen atmas takes care of any damage you get.
[+]
 Fenrir.Lillaly
By Fenrir.Lillaly 2011-07-26 16:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

just go put on all the regen//hp atma and go pick on DC's in aby.... idk thats what i would do.... but i also have over 1k stones -.-

honestly any mob thats 84 (i think thats the low end of DC idk correct me if i am wrong) will skill you... gogo wiki and find something you want to beat up on.
 Odin.Skeero
Server: Odin
By Odin.Skeero 2011-07-26 16:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

take a day to burn war to 90, go to abys-altepa pull 5-10 mandys throw up retaliation and eat the skill up food. will be capped in 30min. Would be faster than grinding it out on whm. Or just go as monk with counterstance and have a friend cure you.
 Cerberus.Quipto
Server: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2011-07-26 16:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to keep yourself alive on those. /nin if anything. Also try Orichalcum Shells in Mount Z. or Glen Crabs in abyssea Grauberg.
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-07-26 16:53:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally hooked myself in a worm PT and I was healing while hitting stuff.It's pretty much how I capped myself.Exp parties always lack of healers so you get pt fast usually.

Did the same with an ally at the buffalo camp.I found that camp easier since everyone stick together but some ppl tend to rage at whm meleeing even if you keep them cured/haste, stupid ppl.
[+]
 Fenrir.Niniann
user: Ninian
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-07-26 17:03:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure this isn't the best way to do it, but I did it on Mandies in Aby-Tahrongi /SAM.
[+]
By Helper 2011-07-27 16:56:57
Link | Quote | Reply

z mines page 4 got my staff to lv 290
 Remora.Dodu
Server: Remora
user: Tsuko
By Remora.Dodu 2011-07-27 17:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niniann said:
I'm sure this isn't the best way to do it, but I did it on Mandies in Aby-Tahrongi /SAM.

Unless you're hoarding mobs for counters, I'd highly recommend against this. Guard and counter are going to put a serious dent in skillup progress. Abyssea is definitely the way to go, though. Went from 119-227 in ~2 hours using Acc/DEX/TA atma and sushi.
 Valefor.Monkeynutz
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Monkeynutz 2011-07-27 17:46:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I've done a bit of this as BLM, so the primary difference should just be that WHM has better haste gear. I toss what meager haste gear I have on, except that I use an earth/ terra staff instead of the 2% (or is it 3%?) haste staff I would ordinarily smack things with. Anywhere I can't put haste I put -PDT if possible. For atmas I go with Apoc, VV, and either regen (Mounted Champion preferably), accuracy (if starting from a relatively low skill level -- Cloak and Dagger or Horned Beast), more double attack, more triple attack, or perhaps as WHM more haste would help (Omnipotent is the best atma for haste, but I would think it's only really helpful if it pulls you to or very close to the haste cap for gear -- which it doesn't for BLM). I go /RDM because it's familiar and phalanx drops damage to the 0-5 range meaning I don't have to use a regen atma, but it's a trade off and you might prefer a more suitable combat subjob to another combat atma.

EDIT: You could also use some hybrid atmas depending on your situation. For instance if you need a little regen, Plaguebringer might be a nice choice as it will give you a modest regen (10), and also enhance double attack and store TP.
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
user: Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-07-27 18:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

+

+

[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-07-28 01:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

what level do fortalices cap at again? i thought they capped fairly low, and op says his skill is at 238.
 Cerberus.Quipto
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2011-07-28 01:33:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lorzy said:
what level do fortalices cap at again? i thought they capped fairly low, and op says his skill is at 238.
Level 82 77 82 I think it was.

Edited twice, second guessing myself only to find out I was right the first time :p
 Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kyrial
By Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial 2011-07-28 01:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lorzy said:
For a C+ skill like WHM staff? 267.

Anyway, you could do what I did to get my club from 325 to 341 (had it 325 from WAR) - /MNK, Counterstance, Razed Ruins, Gnarled Horn, Minikin Monstrosity. RR3/Pro5/Shell5/Haste/Solace were the only buffs I kept up, and just tossed myself a Cure V when need be. Smacked around skeletons in Abyssea-Attohwa for awhile. Any mob works, though - I just used Razed Ruins and fought skeletons cuz I wanted to do some nice Hexa Strikes. XD So yeah, Razed Ruins could be replaced with uh... Roaring Laughter or something? Whatever you want, really.
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
user: Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-07-28 01:57:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Quipto said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
Level 82 77 I think it was.

think since a patch it became 82 for A+
[+]
 Shiva.Msthief
Server: Shiva
user: Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-07-28 02:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Your skills will cap at whatever they would cap at at 82 on fortalices - unless something was changed in the last month (after the DC patch).
 Sylph.Annex
Server: Sylph
user: Annex
By Sylph.Annex 2011-08-04 15:30:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Quite frankly i did it on war. One thing that sucks is that whm does not get cataclysm naturally :/ but /blm and /sch works though XD.

Edit: I also saw a whm/dnc dual wielding clubs once in aby attohwa chasm (lol I just tried to tab for auto-translate) soloing on the treants. Im sure you can keep yourself alive with waltz too and you don't want to ws anyways if your skilling up.