Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » gimp whm help
gimp whm help
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-07-12 06:57:31
Link | Quote | Reply

My friend is currently the lowman whm. He isnt going to play much for most of the next quarter and he's not wealthy. He's currently whm'ing in teal because it's what he can afford.

I am trying to get us a gear "goal" for him that avoids using roundel or fylgia because he cannot afford them. I am also considering using this "build" for leveling an alt-whm for myself, for his "off season".

tl;dr:

what can i do to improve the following build, while spending very little money as possible:

Lakshmi.Greggles
Server: Lakshmi
user: Greggles
By Lakshmi.Greggles 2011-07-12 07:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Orison +1(2) feet and Augur's hands should be more beneficial for cure potency over Serpentes set. You'd probably(I'm not sure of this or not) but you'd probably get better cures out of a Facio Bliaut with potency over Orison body unless you're capping potency otherwise than with the Bliaut.
By Datruthuhate 2011-07-12 07:03:22
Link | Quote | Reply

check out my healing set for whm, its not exspensive & get the job done, you don't need the earring or torque.
.. oh and what ever you do, dont rock a goadling belt on whm.

I use the witchsash for lol'z(thats an exspensive item) so get +7 mnd belt from the AH, and if u can't get cure clogs use teal feet, they pretty good for whm.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-07-12 07:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Greggles said:
Orison +1(2) feet and Augur's hands should be more beneficial for cure potency over Serpentes set. You'd probably(I'm not sure of this or not) but you'd probably get better cures out of a Facio Bliaut with potency over Orison body unless you're capping potency otherwise than with the Bliaut.

The set I posted is 47% if i did my math right.
22%(staff), 10%(cap) 2%(ear) 5%(hands and feet) 3%(cape) and 5%(pants). I'm not sure what the boots give that overpower 1% potency but that seems like a poor choice. I'd like to cap the extra 3% potency but I couldnt think of anywhere to stick 3% that wouldnt cost me a fylgia+1 or getting roundel (ugh).
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-07-12 07:28:24
Link | Quote | Reply

you'd want to use af3+2 legs over tatsumaki's, so that's 5% you miss out on there. you can't get 50% cure potency with af3+2 body unless you use a medicine ring or roundel and fylgja. depending on other gear, augur's gloves/marduk feet are sometimes better than serpentes set.

edit: sorry, i guess you could do tatsumakis and fylgja and get 50%, but you still lose out on the 5% cure > mp.
[+]
 Cerberus.Caylene
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Caylene 2011-07-12 08:09:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Another option is to get a few cruor parties- even the worm parties will help. He can get merit points at the same time as he gets cruor, then turn the cruor into gil (do the chocobo blinkers). That way he can get about 700k in a week (or maybe two depending on his playing time) and get at least the nq fylgia torque.

That's what I did, anyway- maybe the torque is more expensive than that on your server, though. Just an idea. ^^
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2011-07-12 08:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I second the motion to get AF3+2 legs. Those things make you ungodly MP efficient.

You could use both AF3+2 body and Nobles/Facio with Cure Potency Augment. Use the Nobles/Facio when you need the extra curing power and then use the AF3+2 body when you know you're going to be over curing and thus the target could get benefit of the stronger Cureskin. I always looked at Cuerskin as a temporary boost to the target's HP, hence why I recommend that route.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-07-12 09:01:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I will definitely pass that info on to him. If i decide to level an alt for boxing I will most likely not gearswap very much, as I don't have the attention span for that on 2 chars. I'm trying to make the mule gearset the best all around no-swap :/

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By shiiko 2011-07-12 09:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply

its actually fairly easy to cap cure potency w/o needing the torque or earrings (or even med ring), it does take a little bit of luck w/augments though.

the cape, +2 staff & head are a good start, augurs gloves should be fairly easy to get w/ppl being emp-weapon happy which will increase the potency to 39% from just 4 pieces.
depending on luck you can try to get a cure+ facio from dominion trophies (11% is the minimum to cap w/the set-up im suggesting, but even 7-8% is a decent start, esp if it has refresh) or you can get a nobles tunic which should be fairly cheap putting you at 46-53% depending on luck.
this will let you swap the ASA pants for the AF3+1/2, and if youre lucky enough to get a 14% facio, you can swap out the cape for something w/MND or MP, or even fast cast while still getting the full 50% cure+.

once you get close to the 50% cap, youre gonna want to start swapping out the extra cure+ pieces for MND, MP & fast cast, as an old school whm trust me when i say MND does more for cures than healing skill, sadly the only thing ive seen skill actually help w/is removing doom & resists during darksday/dark weather.

grip- personally i use a light grip for the MP and rare occasion i need the m.acc (the m.acc is going to be about as useful as the skill on the curatio grip, but up to personal preference) its also fairly cheap
ammo- incantor stone for the MP & fast cast
neck- orison locket is nice for the MP & fast cast, otherwise id suggest morganas or acesos choker
earrings- fast cast/MP: loquacious if you can get the ABCs, gifted is also nice for the conserve mp, otherwise just go for MP
rings- MND/MP: bifrost/serket for MP, solemn/omega for MND
waist- MND/MP: even the olde hierarch belt will give you a decent 48MP, or you can go for a belt w/MND on it, clerics is nice if you can find a group to do dynamis with
feet- cure clogs if you can manage to get them, rostrums are a nice 2nd choice here since they have MND, MP and fast cast, otherwise go for MND or MP
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-07-12 09:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

shiiko said:
depending on luck you can try to get a cure+ facio from dominion trophies (11% is the minimum to cap w/the set-up im suggesting, but even 7-8% is a decent start, esp if it has refresh) or you can get a nobles tunic which should be fairly cheap putting you at 46-53% depending on luck.

I was aware of this but I was trying to keep the cureskin to prevent alt-tabbing as much. It's starting to look like if I want to keep the 50% cp, without spending money, i'll be stuck with the facio. Then again maybe they'll add a 3% grip and 5% to the staff next update and i can swap body and pants :D

Thanks for the suggestions on the empty slots too. Some of those won't be easy to get for my mule but I think my friend did enough oldschool events to get sea and ein items.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-07-12 09:38:18
Link | Quote | Reply

i wouldn't bother spending ampoules on whm gear at this point, and as far as sea gear goes all i can think of off the top of my head is the capes, which aren't really a huge deal anyway. aside from special sets, which you probably don't want to get into, you should be fine with abyssea and ah gear.
By shiiko 2011-07-12 09:48:34
Link | Quote | Reply

one trick ive used for extra cureskin is to spam cure3s (even if the person is at 100% hp), since it has a fairly low mp cost and recast and still gives the stoneskin effect, of course if the person youre casting on is getting hit for high damage this wont work, but sometimes its enough of a bonus to let them get shadows back up on ichi timers
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-07-12 10:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

shiiko said:
but sometimes its enough of a bonus to let them get shadows back up on ichi timers

This is what I am mostly interested in. My mnk is still just for something to dump merits into so if I am solo I'm on thf. If my roomate comes mnk and i'm only there for blue or TH the point becomes a little more moot but it still helps free the set up for job rotation.
 Leviathan.Tarin
Server: Leviathan
user: Starsha
By Leviathan.Tarin 2011-07-12 10:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Inside Abyssea, you should look at getting Atma of Harmony - it gives 10% cure potency, freeing up other gear slots for MND+. It also gives enhancing magic +10 which is nifty for barspells. And it's easy peasy to get.
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
Server: Carbuncle
user: Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-07-12 11:27:27
Link | Quote | Reply

usually you dont make the jump to curing in af3 body until you can really hit 47%+ without the body slot (can't really be done without fylgia or roundel if using af3 pants. That said, I would not cure in ASA pants I use them for idle and cure in af3 pants for the mp bonus.

Also I wouldn't count on a cure % grip coming out, and I think if they do extend Surya it will be for 3% not more.

Lastly, what they are telling you about Augurs gloves + Marduk or Augur gloves + Orison+2 feet is true they are better for curing over Serp set, serp set is great for idle.

For a neck go get a ajari-necklace they're very cheap and the next best thing compared to fylgia

it is basically on par or slightly better than: