Orison Locket Is Useful?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » Orison Locket is useful?
Orison Locket is useful?
 Asura.Pergatory
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2011-07-05 17:33:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I really hope you guys are joking about cure cast time merits. Anyone who prides themselves in their WHM and doesn't have 5/5 cure cast time merits is, at best, seriously misled... more likely they are just idiots. Cure cast for WHM is like spinach for Popeye.

As far as Orison Locket, you don't need cheats to use it. I use it in my idle set. What else are you going to wear on your idle set?

You don't need Spellcast or Windower macros to swap gear after the cast starts. That's what <wait #> is for. I have roughly 78% cast time reduction from equipment, and still get 50% potency in my casts without using Windower/Spellcast, AND without needing more than one macro to start a spell. (I do need 2 macros to get back to idle though... but time from needing the spell to casting the spell is more important than time spent doing stuff after the spell has finished.) It's not easy but it's do-able, and Orison Locket is a fantastic piece.
 Asura.Xenophire
user: Xenophire
By Asura.Xenophire 2011-07-05 17:34:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said:
What else are you going to wear on your idle set?
Twilight Torque?
[+]
 Phoenix.Fondue
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-07-05 17:34:59
Link | Quote | Reply

orochi nodowa?
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-05 17:35:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Xenophire said:
Asura.Pergatory said:
What else are you going to wear on your idle set?
Twilight Torque?
[+]
 Cerberus.Valmur
user: Valmur
By Cerberus.Valmur 2011-07-05 17:38:50
Link | Quote | Reply

whats DT? idk
[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-07-05 17:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said:
You don't need Spellcast or Windower macros to swap gear after the cast starts. That's what <wait #> is for. I have roughly 78% cast time reduction from equipment, and still get 50% potency in my casts without using Windower/Spellcast, AND without needing more than one macro to start a spell.
would you mind elaborating on this? is one second fast enough to swap before the spell goes off?
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
Server: Carbuncle
user: Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-07-05 17:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lorzy said:
Asura.Pergatory said:
You don't need Spellcast or Windower macros to swap gear after the cast starts. That's what <wait #> is for. I have roughly 78% cast time reduction from equipment, and still get 50% potency in my casts without using Windower/Spellcast, AND without needing more than one macro to start a spell.
would you mind elaborating on this? is one second fast enough to swap before the spell goes off?

1 macro
/equip neck orison locket
/ma cure <stal>
/wait 0.3
/equip neck Fylgja Torque +1

can do 2 pieces without windower orrr the following in 2 macros

macro precast ***
/equip FC stuff
/equip FC stuff
/equip FC stuff
/equip FC stuff

new macro cure
/ma cure <stal>
/wait 0.3
/equip cure pot stuff
/equip cure pot stuff
/equip cure pot stuff
/equip cure pot stuff
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-07-05 18:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless the implementation of <wait> changed things, the official client only supports whole numbers for wait commands.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-07-05 18:02:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Unless the implementation of <wait> changed things, the official client only supports whole numbers for wait commands.

oh maybe it's been a while for me
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2011-07-06 13:31:16
Link | Quote | Reply

What Tweeek said. I know you're right that at one point, only whole numbers worked. However, someone pointed out to me recently to try 0.3 since 1 second was too long these days, and I tried it and it worked. So I think maybe they ninja fixed that at some point. Either that or I'm losing my mind. Or maybe it only works in the "<wait #>" syntax and not the "/wait #" syntax, who knows.

Anyway, what Tweeek said is pretty much what I do. Except I don't have a fast cast macro because it seems kind of self-defeating. You can't mash two macros in a row because the first one won't finish, so if you have a fast cast macro you have to press it, wait a second, then press the other macro... and that wait more than negates the bonus from the fast cast in most cases. So I just settle for idling in a mix of fast cast & refresh equipment. Right now there are only two pieces of fast cast gear I have that I'm not utilizing: Veela Cape (idle in Orison) and Winged Wand (idle in Owleyes).

So the first line of my Cure macro ends up looking like this:
/ma "Cure V" <stpc> <wait 0.3>

After that I have 5 lines to equip cure potency pieces.
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-07-06 13:38:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Im pretty sure there was an update awhile ago that broke down /wait to .5 etc.

Yeah, just did it, /wait .5 works for sure.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-07-10 06:46:15
Link | Quote | Reply

so after being convinced for a while after trying to fix my macros that decimal waits didn't work, it seems like my macros don't work if i have a 0 in front of the decimal.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Server: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-07-10 08:55:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said:
Anyway, what Tweeek said is pretty much what I do. Except I don't have a fast cast macro because it seems kind of self-defeating. You can't mash two macros in a row because the first one won't finish, so if you have a fast cast macro you have to press it, wait a second, then press the other macro... and that wait more than negates the bonus from the fast cast in most cases. So I just settle for idling in a mix of fast cast & refresh equipment. Right now there are only two pieces of fast cast gear I have that I'm not utilizing: Veela Cape (idle in Orison) and Winged Wand (idle in Owleyes)

You don't have to wait a second after equipping fast cast gear, the second you have it on -before- the cast, it activates. There's no need for a /wait command when using your fast cast gear.
[+]
 Valefor.Mithano
Server: Valefor
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2011-07-10 09:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

All good comments, thanks guys. I should have elaborated about the macro stuff, that's really what was holding me up more than anything else. I'm already in macro hell and I have no idea how to fit this in w/o spellcast.

My key killer is that most of my whm macros are dedicated to status stuff, so I have little room left for the equipment swapping. I know there's other books, but spells are so fast now that if I have to move between books more than once in a while, I'm going to end up missing stuff often. I currently only change books for convert gear, snk/invis, etc.

The other killer is I have more than 5 pieces of cure gear. That means mulitple macros to cast even a cure spell ... god that sucks. What are people doing for macros on their main whm book these days? I have:

cure3/4/5 (or 3/5/6), stoneskin, regen4, curaga2, -na #1, -na #2, boost-X, gear swap #1
refresh, haste, erase, auspice, blink, repose, -na #3, -na #4, pro/shell, gear swap #2
 Gilgamesh.Joltx
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Joltx
By Gilgamesh.Joltx 2011-07-10 09:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Cure, Curaga, Stoneskin, Haste, Cursna, Devotion, and Barspell sets are honestly the main ones you really need to worry about.
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2011-07-11 10:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aeronis said:
You don't have to wait a second after equipping fast cast gear, the second you have it on -before- the cast, it activates. There's no need for a /wait command when using your fast cast gear.
I don't use a /wait command for my fast cast, I use the /wait command for my mid-cast equipment.

If you re-read my post, what I was actually talking about in regard to waiting after pre-cast is that if I used a macro to equip fast cast gear before a cast, I'd have to wait after pressing that macro before I press my actual spell macro. If I don't, then the game won't process every line in the fast cast macro. I have to let it finish before I press another macro. For those who haven't used the in-game macros in a while, it's entirely possible to interrupt a macro before it runs all six lines. That's why a fast cast macro is self-defeating.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-07-11 10:42:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Mithano said:

I currently only change books for convert gear, snk/invis, etc.

What are people doing for macros on their main whm book these days? I have:

everyone does macros different i know but I play with a controller so I use 3 macro books primarily with 1 additional one for barspells only. I know it probably looks/sounds crazy to people because they are used to their own but maybe it could help you in using multiple books. I put my cure 3/4/5/6 on each macro book for redundancy in the same spot yeah this takes up a lot of macros for each book but I know that no matter what book I'm on when I bring up my macros I know I can cure right away (which to me is the most important thing on WHM)

book 1 is my main and then I go 1 above (10) and 1 below (2). so from my book 1 i'm just 1 book away

this is just from memory i might be off a little but it gives you an idea
book1:
c3/c4/c5/c6/solace/haste/stoneskin/sublimation/accession/light arts
erase/all my -na spells/hMP set(which i rarely use now)/idle set

book2: has again c3-c6 but then also solace/misery/regen 4+3 combo in 1 macro/cura2/esuna/light arts again
debuffs mainly on this row reraise3/flash/dia2/slow/silence/para/repose/dark arts+Addendum: Black in 1 macro so I can dispel/sneak+invis in 1 macro/

book10: c3-c6/pro+shell/divine seal/Penury/Celerity/Martyr/devotion and has all my trigger macros on the next row
flash/holy/banish2/banish3/banishga2 and i think i got a repose up here and auspice/MND+/VIT+

book 9: all my barspells mostly only thing I use it for
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-07-11 11:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

also there's some little tricks i use to squeeze 2 spells into one macro giving you both a little freedom on real estate and also flexibility i'm not sure if a lot of people do this but i had read the suggestion a long long time ago from Tethis somewhere

sneak+invis
/equip back "Skulker's Cape"
/recast Sneak
/ma Sneak <stpt>
/recast Invisible
/ma Invisible <stpt>

I use the same concept on a Regen macro so I can put regen 4 on one person and then regen 3 on the next or i just cancel the macro after regen4
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-11 11:15:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Tweeek said:
also there's some little tricks i use to squeeze 2 spells into one macro giving you both a little freedom on real estate and also flexibility i'm not sure if a lot of people do this but i had read the suggestion a long long time ago from Tethis somewhere

sneak+invis
/equip back "Skulker's Cape"
/recast Sneak
/ma Sneak <stpt>
/recast Invisible
/ma Invisible <stpt>

I use the same concept on a Regen quote so I can put regen 4 on one person and then regen 3 on the next or i just cancel the macro after regen4
iirc If you're waiting to target another party member with <stpt> you're unable to swap gear midcast, maybe even precast if you have a significant castdelay, making macros such as this inefficient should one be wanting to apply more than 1 piece of gear to gear swap for said spells.
For instance, I don't just use Orison Gloves +2 for regen, I prefer to also use Haste (to cut down recast) and Conserve MP in other slots to maximize efficiency.
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-07-11 11:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah it won't let you do anything else, i just use on sneak/invis and regen. I really don't even use regen that much anymore tbh so the entire thing is kind of moot for me personally.

but yeah i don't pre/mid swap for regen i just use a fc/haste/regen+ hybrid set if you wanted needed to I wouldn't use this technique (OP doesn't even use windower for gear swaps)

would add a haste body but I just haven't got one yet.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-11 11:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Regen helps phenomenally in my experience when relatively low-manning some lower tier voidwatch NMs, and doing miscellaneous things outside of abyssea.
 Carbuncle.Tweeek
By Carbuncle.Tweeek 2011-07-11 11:32:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Wolfshadow said:
Regen helps phenomenally in my experience when relatively low-manning some lower tier voidwatch NMs, and doing miscellaneous things outside of abyssea.

yea outside abyssea is really the only time I use it anymore and I haven't messed with voidwatch, still great for times you need to manage your MP.

I personally have never been waiting on the recast of Regen, if I have 2 people there I can throw a Regen3 on the 2nd DD with that same macro the spells last for so much longer than the recast I just haven't ran into the problem but I can understand that having the extra haste there would be the most efficient, so I'm not saying that my macro is better I'm just saying it works better for me.