Need some advice, please
First Page 2 3
 Cerberus.Caylene
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Caylene 2011-06-23 12:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I could use some advice.

I came back after a six month break to find that my (elvaan) Paladin was pretty much useless (never thought pld would be a loljob), so I decided to get my Red Mage up to 90. I previously played the game as a (taru) White Mage, and didn't want to level that again because I always spent time helping people with healing that I never got anything done for myself. But I digress.

I ground my Red Mage up to 90 in about a week, but now I'm finding that my Red Mage seems pretty much useless too! I'm not just talking about the fact that I had to re-do my merits (I have them in mp (from pld, I didn't erase those), enfeebling magic, slow2, and paralyze2), or that I'm still working to cap my magic skills. There just doesn't seem to be a place in Abyssea events (when I can even find a group to go with) for Red Mages.

Now, I am still going to gear my Red Mage as well as I can, because my bf is a 90thf/nin and we enjoy duo'ing things. It seems like we will have some fun with the older "end game" content now that we don't have to rely on a complete party. However, I am wondering- did any of you level (or use) another job in Abyssea so you could get your gear for a seemingly less useful job? If so- which one did you level or use? Or, is there a role for Red Mages in Abyssea that I'm just not seeing?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions, and for taking the time to read this.
 Phoenix.Uzugami
Server: Phoenix
user: SSJAV
By Phoenix.Uzugami 2011-06-23 12:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming you have a decent Curing set, RDM *can* work fine in a group setting in abyssea. (Phalanx II helps as well, for cleaving and such, cause fk lvling /SCH.) But it also depends on your group, tbh. Most people lvl WAR or MNK for the bandwagon thing (Those jobs pretty much can not die with a good healer, and they destory everything.) So...WAR,MNK,NIN,WHM would probably be the "Best" Bandwagon jobs for abyssea to level. :<
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-23 12:27:41
Link | Quote | Reply

WAR MNK WHM BLM THF NIN BLU if you wanna be useful in Abyssea.
[+]
 Sylph.Kiaru
Server: Sylph
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-06-23 12:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM is completely useless in abyssea. Your only real use is farming TE's, capping azure, and capping amber if you have melee gear. RDM is still my main and it's all I play and I love it in abyssea, I just ignore the fact I'm useless on NM's and go around killing mobs and healing people killing mobs for TE's durning my linkshells events. This is what happens when you give everyone infinite MP, huge free stat boosts greater than anything a buffer job can give, and make mobs/nms extremely weak and easy while having jobs based around buffing/refreshing/debuffing mobs.

I suggest you get a good LS where you being a RDM doesn't matter, and they let you play the job you want because they have procs covered. If you can't find a good LS, and need to resort to shout groups only, consider leveling one of the 7 1/2 jobs that exist in this game: BLM(With BRD sub to 45, this would be the 1/2 job), WHM, BLU, NIN, MNK, WAR, THF.

However, outside abyssea RDM is extremely strong, useful, amazing to have, and even more fun. They said they're going to focus more on outside abyssea for 91-99, and they keep adding more content outside abyssea to further show this. RDM is AMAZING in new dynamis and VWNm's as well.

edit: Screw leveling SCH? No..just..no. SCH is by far the best RDM sub in the game currently, it's a ton more fun and better. Not having /SCH is basically being a gimp RDM. You might as well not even have a sub as /WHM or /BLM, that's how useless they are compared to /SCH. /WHM gives you nothing unless you need na's which /SCH has(except stona/viruna which is situationally useful), and /blm only gives you stun(situationally useful to have) and sleepga which is generally useless in abyssea, and again SCH gives you that with stratagems.

Also do not merit phalanx2.
[+]
 Leviathan.Krush
Server: Leviathan
user: Doc2love
By Leviathan.Krush 2011-06-23 12:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't lose hope! Your effectiveness maybe limited(I still like one RDM around at all times) in Abyssea, but with the new Voidwalker edition I see a come back. When we Dyna I also find RDM very effective.
 Cerberus.Caylene
By Cerberus.Caylene 2011-06-23 12:44:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Does the minikin monstrosity atma (I think that's the right one) negate lack of base INT that Elvaan have? I suppose that it would be less of a loss because I already started investing in that sort of (elemental) gear.

I suppose I could just embrace my natural elvaan MND and STR enhancements and just be a Monk already.

At any rate, thanks for the advice!! ^^
 Sylph.Kiaru
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-06-23 12:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Mithra is the only race that means anything anymore(editing to clarify) when it comes to stats, all races are equal but mithra has a slight advantage with their dex. In real situations this means almost nothing, so race doesn't matter at all being an elvaan doesn't effect you. Mithra can cap ddex more easily and use dex builds outside abyssea when other races can't.

You should be using minikin ALWAYS, never take it off ever unless you're meleeing. Allure/beyond are your 2nd and 3rd atmas. You can use ultimate over allure if you're ONLY nuking, but situations like that are kind of rare so keep minikin/allure/beyond.
By Drjones 2011-06-23 12:48:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Uzugami said:
(Phalanx II helps as well, for cleaving and such, cause fk lvling /SCH.)
Level /SCH you lazy gimp.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-23 12:49:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kiaru said:
RDM is completely useless in abyssea.
Please completely disregard the rest of the wall of text after this ignorant statement.

Edit:

Let me prove my point:

Sylph.Kiaru said:
Mithra is the only race that means anything anymore, because it can cap ddex more easily and use dex builds outside abyssea when other races can't. You should be using minikin ALWAYS, never take it off ever unless you're meleeing. Allure/beyond are your 2nd and 3rd atmas. You can use ultimate over allure if you're ONLY nuking, but situations like that are kind of rare so keep minikin/allure/beyond.
[+]
 Sylph.Kiaru
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-06-23 12:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice trolling, go away please.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-23 12:57:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not trolling. The gentleman asked for help because they are new to the current state the game is and you (being very close to new yourself, obviously) fed him grossly biased (and mostly incorrect) information. You call me the troll when in reality you're harming the initial point of his OP more than I ever could.

If you're going to spew ignorance, make it clear that it's your opinion and not accepted fact. Either that or say "mostly useless but better served by x job in y situation".

Sylph.Kiaru said:
Mithra is the only race that means anything anymore, because it can cap ddex more easily and use dex builds outside abyssea when other races can't.

No.
[+]
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-06-23 13:00:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Contrary to what you may believe Kiaru, while you may "main" rdm, you're hardly offering anymore advice than someone that is nothing more than a "support" rdm. I don't have /sch and hardly consider myself gimp as a result. You claiming mithra the only race to have nowadays is absurd as well. While it may work for you, as a mithra, may not work for others. The three basic subs for rdm is, and always will be, Whm/Blm/Nin. A skilled rdm can do anything with those subs to choose from.
[+]
 Sylph.Kiaru
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-06-23 13:02:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't say mithra is the only race, I said it's the only race with stats that matter :/ I'm sorry you can't do math and figure out mithras dex advantage lets them TP in some more dex heavy builds to cap DDex outside abyssea.

Please refer to bg for further proof of mithra dex advantage for capping ddex - >

/SCH is by far the best sub, I'm not going to argue it because it's so obvious anyone good knows it, lol. I already explained why /blm and /whm are inferior.

Again, please stop trolling or back up your claims without insults
and instead proof, thank you.

edit: RDM is so useful it's why we see nothing but shouts for RDM's in port jeuno too!
 Cerberus.Caylene
By Cerberus.Caylene 2011-06-23 13:04:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey I'm a she...

At any rate, I haven't unlocked /sch so I suppose my RDM will just have to be gimp for now. I do okay with /whm and /nin subs, I think. Well enough for my purposes, anyway.

Thanks, all. ^_^
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-06-23 13:05:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Umm.. you DID say that Mithra was the only race that mattered anymore. And /sch is inferior, in many situations. You're a support rdm, not a pro rdm. /facepalm
By Drjones 2011-06-23 13:05:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Dezaar
Server: Odin
user: dezaar
By Odin.Dezaar 2011-06-23 13:10:49
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM has a role. Just WHM is a healing God again which is nice IMO. Love WHM.

Stick with your RDM if you enjoy it. It will be more useful outside Abyssea.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-23 13:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kiaru said:
I didn't say mithra is the only race

Sylph.Kiaru said:
Mithra is the only race that means anything anymore

Elvaan is the only race that matters anymore because the like... 6 str i get more than other races is liek zomg so much.

I know this because when i started this game, last month, my friend showed me these couple super cool websites where people post their opinions in a public forum. I read the above thing I'm stating as fact, took it out of context to meet my needs/wants, and started repeating it as fact without even doing any homework of my own!

Also, if you don't instantly agree with my ignorance you're automatically a troll so there :D
[+]
 Bismarck.Nevill
Server: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-06-23 13:16:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kiaru said:
I didn't say mithra is the only race, I said it's the only race with stats that matter :/ I'm sorry you can't do math and figure out mithras dex advantage lets them TP in some more dex heavy builds to cap DDex outside abyssea.

Please refer to bg for further proof of mithra dex advantage for capping ddex - >

/SCH is by far the best sub, I'm not going to argue it because it's so obvious anyone good knows it, lol. I already explained why /blm and /whm are inferior.

Again, please stop trolling or back up your claims without insults
and instead proof, thank you.

edit: RDM is so useful it's why we see nothing but shouts for RDM's in port jeuno too!

RDM is still pretty useful outside abby where everyone doesn't have 4000 hp and things need enfeebling.

And /blm and /whm have their uses as well. To say they are always inferior is laughable. As a friend of mine used to say, ***is situational.
[+]
 Sylph.Kiaru
By Sylph.Kiaru 2011-06-23 13:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
edit: Screw leveling SCH? No..just..no. SCH is by far the best RDM sub in the game currently, it's a ton more fun and better. Not having /SCH is basically being a gimp RDM. You might as well not even have a sub as /WHM or /BLM, that's how useless they are compared to /SCH. /WHM gives you nothing unless you need na's(except stona/viruna which is situationally useful), which /SCH has, and /blm only gives you stun(situationally useful to have) and sleepga which is generally useless in abyssea, and again SCH gives you that with stratagems.

Please read before trolling :/

I'm done posting here ever again.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-23 13:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarutaru is the only race because of max MP, duh.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-06-23 13:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kiaru said:
Quote:
edit: Screw leveling SCH? No..just..no. SCH is by far the best RDM sub in the game currently, it's a ton more fun and better. Not having /SCH is basically being a gimp RDM. You might as well not even have a sub as /WHM or /BLM, that's how useless they are compared to /SCH. /WHM gives you nothing unless you need na's(except stona/viruna which is situationally useful), which /SCH has, and /blm only gives you stun(situationally useful to have) and sleepga which is generally useless in abyssea, and again SCH gives you that with stratagems.

Direct quotes aren't trolling. Claiming someone's trolling when they're not is, however, trolling.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-23 13:23:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Peace.
[+]
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Server: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-06-23 13:24:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Sylph.Kiaru said:
Quote:

Direct quotes aren't trolling. Claiming someone's trolling when they're not is, however, trolling.

Omg stop trolling xDDDDD ur just trolling xD stupid troll read before trolling if you disagree with me ur trolling am I a meme now xDDD
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-23 13:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

This whole thread is trolling. You're clearly write on every count and the whole community decided to gang up on you as a big joke. We have a whole forum thats locked to only you where we discussed "how can we take something Kiaru posts that is, totally 100% correct, and NOT opinion based or ignorant, and make it sound like everyone thinks the opposite!!!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-23 13:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kunimatsu said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Sylph.Kiaru said:
Quote:
Omg stop trolling xDDDDD ur just trolling xD stupid troll read before trolling if you disagree with me ur trolling am I a meme now xDDD

[+]
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-06-23 13:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kiaru said:
Quote:

Fact of the matter is, every sub has it's purpose and is quite situational. You're on my server. Perhaps we can gear our respective Rdm's as we see fit and go to sea and each pop Fortitude and you can show me how /sch just RULES my /nin. Oh, nvm, you need sea access. Perhaps then, we can go to Sky and each pop a Genbu or Seriyu then...
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-06-23 13:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I've not been on rdm for anything in a very long time now. The primary reasons I've ever been on rdm before was because mages wanted refresh or because the mob we were fighting was very difficult and needed someone who could consistently land debuffs. Both of which are a non-issue in abyssea and even outside of it there's reduced need.

I like my rdm so I do wish it was more useful but I love my blu so...
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-06-23 13:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

As a side note, I hate sch sub. Not because it doesn't have potential. It really is a great sub and has some awesome stuff but because of the limitations of having to switch back and forth on arts. I like being able to do whatever I want without having to spam 2-3 ja's first.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-23 13:36:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Liltrouble said:
Sylph.Kiaru said:
Quote:

Fact of the matter is, every sub has it's purpose and is quite situational. You're on my server. Perhaps we can gear our respective Rdm's as we see fit and go to sea and each pop Fortitude and you can show me how /sch just RULES my /nin. Oh, nvm, you need sea access. Perhaps then, we can go to Sky and each pop a Genbu or Seriyu then...
The genbu thing is a joke, right?
First Page 2 3