Forum » FFXI » NMs » Shoggoth
Shoggoth
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2011-05-23 03:18:56
Link | Quote | Reply

How easy/hard would this NM be with 3 90SMN? What would the best Avatar be?
 Fenrir.Kaomii
Server: Fenrir
user: Kaomii
By Fenrir.Kaomii 2011-05-23 03:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd imagine it would be rather difficult. Shoggoth uses -aga III spells when outside of Chainspell and favors -tier IV spells during chainspell, so no particular avatar would be at an advantage. Chainspell also resets hate, so everybody will be a target for a while. Shoggoth also loves Sleepga II, which it uses religiously regardless of whether Chainspell is active or not.

The strategy that worked for us was 3~4 Rdm/Nins using a nuking-kiting method. Outside of Chainspell, it stops every 10 or so seconds to cast, which is very easy to outrun (particularly with Addle). Chainspell is a bit trickier, but the only thing it casts that can wipe shadows is Sleepga, so shadows should absorb most of the damage. You'll need the support each other until Chainspell ends, which isn't too difficult.

I've only had experience with this NM through one set of trials, though, so I'm sure someone else here might have a better strategy they can offer. Best of luck to you~!
 Cerberus.Kaht
Server: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-05-23 08:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Just take a BLU for headbutt spam. Also, use poison potions to counter sleepga.
 Bahamut.Bojack
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2011-05-28 03:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there certain places where Lamprey Lord and Shoggoth Hang out? Or do you just gotta hope that if you get a reading it's the NM you want?
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [85 days between previous and next post]
 Titan.Cripnicc
Server: Titan
user: Cripnicc
By Titan.Cripnicc 2011-08-21 12:29:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Bojack said: »
Is there certain places where Lamprey Lord and Shoggoth Hang out? Or do you just gotta hope that if you get a reading it's the NM you want?
Can any 1 answer this question? I'm about to start VNM part of my trials and i would hate to waste a colorful abyssite on a NM i dont need. Also if i use MNK 2hr with poison pots and a WHM with me will i have a problem with this NM?
 Bahamut.Aeronis
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-08-21 12:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Cripnicc said: »
Can any 1 answer this question? I'm about to start VNM part of my trials and i would hate to waste a colorful abyssite on a NM i dont need. Also if i use MNK 2hr with poison pots and a WHM with me will i have a problem with this NM?
No need to use 2hr, can kill easily enough without.
By Ravenlokk 2011-08-21 13:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Cripnicc said: »

A few tips..
1) SUB WARRIOR[or maybe dnc?] ON MONK ((it spams ga etc so /nin is largely useless, and voke can be good on the hate resets)
2) Make sure your whm wakes u fast when u get sleepga, and stays out of range (sub sch might be good for the sublimation anti-sleep thing).
*3)If you get a t3 abyssite upgrade(orange i think?) and get a colorful again you can pop T2 forever without upgrading... just don't pop the t3 lol.(this can be avoided by using a colorful-only character to verify the distance to rule out t3s)

Also, these nm's are pretty common if you can't do it on your own set a magian /seacom, and/or check other peoples comments then arrange a time to do them together... or just look up the people u ran into while doing the lesser-nm stages it can really simplify things. I usually drag randoms along for the clears (if they're on when i do them) there's usually other people in your situation.