New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Thf Merits
Thf Merits
By Voren 2012-10-26 02:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL
Asura.Prestige said: »
I don't see a lot of people saying 5/5 Assassin's Charge. Wouldn't it be worth it since it increases chance of fourfold attack by 5% each time?

Edit - really should have checked the date.

lol, I necro bumped a few times, bah, if you got a question or want to discuss don't matter if you necro it to death.

Assassin's charge is a 5 min recast yes, but it's a max of a 25% chance for a fourfold attack that stacks with weapon skills according to ffxiclopedia. I don't believe I meritted this, but if I did, I haven't used it.

It also stacks with SA/TA, so it might be worth it to Bully - SA - TA - AC - WS behind the tank for maximum damage, just be aware that, according to ffxiclopedia, it only effects the first hit in a multi-hit weapon skill.
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2012-10-26 03:09:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Well its 20% Chance to quadruple your next attack with AC, the 1st merit is to unlock the ability, anything after the 1st raises the chance by 5%.

AC is not so uberawasome on multihit WS's like evis but its nice for stacked Mercy Stroke (and probably Rudras aswell) :) Anyways.. there isnt much good to merit on THF group 2 anyways, so the common Merit distubution is probably 5/5 AC, 1/5 Faint, 4/5 Aurasteal. Those who still belief in placebo TH or only have THF to TH will probably merit Faint 5/5 and belief that it helps to raise TH. Otherwise some buffs to steal is allways fun hehe

Your normally dont stack SA and TA, this was maybe normal while leveling to 75, but today you wont stack those 2 Abilitys. There normally is no real tank. I just TA whoever is standing close to me. Not my fault when the mage doesnt move away from mobs :P Its fun to TA Mercy a SMN while farming Bijou and watch them wonder why they have hate haha
 Bismarck.Voren
Server: Bismarck
user: Voren
By Bismarck.Voren 2012-10-26 04:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

LMAO, I TA'd a BLM once that said he could tank, he found out the hard way that Briareus hits hard, manawall went down faster than panties on a prom queen.

I stack TA and SA about once a fight with evisc, and only in Abyssea. Kinda nice to see 4k chunk taken off.

TH is a myth, I'll not deny that, averaged 1.63 Bria Helm drops over the course of doing four Almaces, and that was with sticking TH8 or 9 all but two times in all the fights, several times I got TH10, and once TH11. TH8 = 1 or 2 drops, TH9 = 1 drop, TH10 = no drops, and TH11 = 1 drop

I tried Aura Steal once, but not on an NM, I might merit it and try again, prolly lower Feint to 1/5 just to haave it.
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2012-10-26 04:51:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Aura steal only works if the mob has a buff you can steal and your item steal fails. More merits into aura steal raises your successrate to absorb the buff, otherwise its just a thf-dispel. Like you can steal Mother Glodes spike effect.. and it lasted like 30 minute on me lol. Also funny is to steal Carabosses Regain effect, since you are doing alot of abyssea it seems. Its more for giggles and solo or lowman, everywhere where you really need dispel effect you have a brd or mage to dispel it anyways.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-10-26 05:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

aura steal 1/5 jsut to get the dispel effect now and thne

feint 5/5 sinc it will help you entire party.
also helps on th if the goods are willing.

tripattack 5/5
extra dammage without needing to anything is always nice.

rest just play around with it
 Fenrir.Othilda
Server: Fenrir
user: Othilda
By Fenrir.Othilda 2012-10-26 06:16:29
Link | Quote | Reply

What is everyone's opinion on Ambush? I myself haven't done it, since I solo often on thf and that merit would be useless in that situation. Also with hate being easy to cap on almost all DD, I don't know if it would be much use at all with the monster turning all the time. I've been sitting on merits for a long time, as probably most of the people on ffxi lol. Was just wondering if it is even worth playing with, or if it is just a waste?

My current merits on thf are: 5/5 Sneak attack, 5/5 Triple attack, 5/5 Assassin's Charge, 5/5 Feint.

Thanks in advance!
 Bismarck.Voren
Server: Bismarck
user: Voren
By Bismarck.Voren 2012-10-26 06:42:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Othilda said: »
What is everyone's opinion on Ambush? I myself haven't done it, since I solo often on thf and that merit would be useless in that situation. Also with hate being easy to cap on almost all DD, I don't know if it would be much use at all with the monster turning all the time. I've been sitting on merits for a long time, as probably most of the people on ffxi lol. Was just wondering if it is even worth playing with, or if it is just a waste?

My current merits on thf are: 5/5 Sneak attack, 5/5 Triple attack, 5/5 Assassin's Charge, 5/5 Feint.

Thanks in advance!

I have that meritted, that's the other one I forgot about, so thank you!

With that said I'm probably going to finally wise up and realise that at lvl99 you've got plenty of ACC, and it's not hard to cap with gear and temps if you really need to. The only thing I can see Ambush working for is if you're out of temps, lack the gear, and have someone tanking/DDing that can keep hate off of you, and even then if you've merited dagger skill you're sitting at 433 not including gear bonus'

I'm gonna side with Mindi on the merits, go with AC and AS for that chance for a fourfold atk on a ws and to steal the buff from an NM.
 Fenrir.Othilda
By Fenrir.Othilda 2012-10-26 09:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok....I just realized I totally overlooked something. With all the updates of the merited abilities...I didn't realize they changed Feint as much as they did. ._.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but didn't each merit use to increase the % of evasion down per merit? Or maybe it decreased the recast timer on it? Well, I could have sworn that the last time I looked at the description...each merit affected the % of evasion down.

Now I see it only affects the chance of TH after feint is on the mob lol. Seeing that having it 5/5 is less appealing.

Well...now I see I have to get another piece of relic +2 gear...and augment it lol (Assassin's Culottes +2). Doing that will make the job ability be what I thought it was already. >.>

Until then, time to play with other merited job abilities! lol
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2012-10-26 10:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Feint used to be -2 minutes per additional merit, starting with a 10 minute recast (I think that was the pattern, anyway). 5 merits got you to a 2 minute recast.
 Sylph.Peldin
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Peldin 2012-10-26 10:57:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If your thief is used for accuracy challenging events (Provenance, Legions, Arch-Protos, etc), then yes, put 5/5 in it when you augment Relic +2 legs. Otherwise, 1/5 it.

As for Assassin's Charge and Aura Steal, I would suggest putting 5/5 in Aura Steal with 4/5 in Assassin's Charge, unless you have Mandau or Twashtar. Then I would suggest the opposite.

AC on Evis or Exent is going to be useless fairly often. However it's fantastic pretty good for Mercy Stroke and Rudra's.
 Fenrir.Othilda
By Fenrir.Othilda 2012-10-26 19:19:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Motenten said: »
Feint used to be -2 minutes per additional merit, starting with a 10 minute recast (I think that was the pattern, anyway). 5 merits got you to a 2 minute recast.

Yeah I thought maybe it was something like that.

Sylph.Peldin said: »
If your thief is used for accuracy challenging events (Provenance, Legions, Arch-Protos, etc), then yes, put 5/5 in it when you augment Relic +2 legs. Otherwise, 1/5 it. As for Assassin's Charge and Aura Steal, I would suggest putting 5/5 in Aura Steal with 4/5 in Assassin's Charge, unless you have Mandau or Twashtar. Then I would suggest the opposite. AC on Evis or Exent is going to be useless fairly often. However it's fantastic pretty good for Mercy Stroke and Rudra's.

Yeah I must have 5/5 AC...I have a 99 Twash and it does help a ton! That's a good comment about Ambush. Thing about that is, I also have brd and cor...so the chances of me going thf to events like that are slim to none. ; ;

Thanks for all the info everyone! ^^

***Edit: oh wait, you mentioned feint for higher events, not ambush. Hmmm...yeah I think either way I'll play around with stuff. ^^
By Voren 2012-10-27 01:33:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mindi said: »
. Also funny is to steal Carabosses Regain effect, since you are doing alot of abyssea it seems. Its more for giggles and solo or lowman, everywhere where you really need dispel effect you have a brd or mage to dispel it anyways.

Yeah I'm still gearing, I've only been playing since May 2011, so I'm playing catchup.

I tried AS tonight on a worm in Abyssea - LaTheine, stole its stone skin from the start, that was fun just to see it work. Talked to my LS, they're wanting me to keep it considering we'll be hitting up Carabosse for a couble Masamunes and Caladbolgs, thanks again for this tip!
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-10-27 02:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not like you're stuck with what you choose, either, since merits come so easy now.
By Voren 2012-10-27 22:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Suji said: »
It's not like you're stuck with what you choose, either, since merits come so easy now.

^ this.
 Sylph.Peldin
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Peldin 2012-10-28 01:36:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Othilda said: »
Fenrir.Motenten said: »

Yeah I thought maybe it was something like that.

Sylph.Peldin said: »
If your thief is used for accuracy challenging events (Provenance, Legions, Arch-Protos, etc), then yes, put 5/5 in it when you augment Relic +2 legs. Otherwise, 1/5 it. As for Assassin's Charge and Aura Steal, I would suggest putting 5/5 in Aura Steal with 4/5 in Assassin's Charge, unless you have Mandau or Twashtar. Then I would suggest the opposite. AC on Evis or Exent is going to be useless fairly often. However it's fantastic pretty good for Mercy Stroke and Rudra's.

Yeah I must have 5/5 AC...I have a 99 Twash and it does help a ton! That's a good comment about Ambush. Thing about that is, I also have brd and cor...so the chances of me going thf to events like that are slim to none. ; ;

Thanks for all the info everyone! ^^

***Edit: oh wait, you mentioned feint for higher events, not ambush. Hmmm...yeah I think either way I'll play around with stuff. ^^
Yeah not ambush. If you're brought as THF to an event, and it's not for TH, it's for Feint. IE - 5/5 if your relic+2 is aug'd.