Paralyze And Grellow?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Paralyze and Grellow?
Paralyze and Grellow?
By Bruinbecca 2011-05-07 14:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I heard a rumor today that you can't proc Yellow on a mob if it is paralyzed. I was told not to cast Paralyze on a mob due to this reason. I have never heard this before or had any experience with it being an issue, so I was wondering if anyone has actually experienced this before or heard this. Thanks!
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-05-07 14:57:13
Link | Quote | Reply

They're wrong. It's only stun/terror and the like.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-05-07 15:01:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I've procced plenty of times while a mob is paralyzed.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Tyrian
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Tyrian 2011-05-07 15:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I had someone say this in a party recently, as well, but like the other posters, I have seen weakness triggered many, many, many times while Paralyze was on.

However, I can understand why it might create a problem.

Allow me to explain. When a player is casting a spell and that spell gets interrupted — whether through movement, paralysis, or stun — our "casting bar" continues to move forward, even though the spell is botched. This is important. If a player is paralyzed and they try to swing at a mob, the action is prevented by the paralysis: that action never happens. However, if they try to cast a spell, it will let them start the spell, only to be interrupted halfway through when the paralysis actually kicks in.

Imagine that monsters also have a "casting bar." When they're paralyzed, they still get to cast spells, but we're all hoping that the spell will get botched by the paralysis. But when it does, there's still a cooldown period after the paralysis message where the spell is still "being cast." That little window might also prevent weakness from being triggered.

If that is the case, then the solution here is simple: people triggering weakness need to pay just a little bit more attention, and if a spell gets paralyzed, give it a couple seconds after that to "complete casting" before trying to trigger weakness again. Which shouldn't be a problem, since they should have been holding off while it was casting anyway.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jajabiondina
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Jajabiondina 2011-05-14 23:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

It is true from my experience, if the spell lands right when mob gets para proc then is dirty, mob can be paralyzed (status) and still get all procs, easy to test on Kampe nm, para2 destroy that scorpion.