Mandau Vs. Twashtar.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Mandau Vs. Twashtar.
Mandau Vs. Twashtar.
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Titan.Shadowsonic
Server: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: Tails
By Titan.Shadowsonic 2011-03-28 01:17:06
Link | Quote | Reply

My girlfriend is looking into doing a Mandau, but is wondering if the Lv.90 Mandau would be better than a Twashtar(85) or vice versa. (Mostly in Abyssea)

Any info comparing each of them would be nice. Looking around the interwebs I have mostly only been able to find Lv. 75 or 80 Mandau info and not all of the spiffy new Atmas and gear to back each weapon up.

Thanks for the info!
[+]
 Valefor.Pewpeww
Server: Valefor
user: Enygma3
By Valefor.Pewpeww 2011-03-28 01:21:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Mandau if 90 version, Twashtar if not.
 Bismarck.Luces
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-03-28 01:44:02
Link | Quote | Reply

unless your stacking with sa or ta then you will still be using evisceration as far as ws's go, and why are you comparing a 90 relic(that gets the big ws damage boost) to an 85? Compare lvl 90 to 90 if you want a true answer; compare 85 to 90 if you like skewing your info.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-28 01:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Luces said:
and why are you comparing a 90 relic(that gets the big ws damage boost) to an 85? Compare lvl 90 to 90 if you want a true answer; compare 85 to 90 if you like skewing your info.
Because the lvl of difficulty and time require to go from 85 to 90 on twashtar is much much higher than relic. And for a lot smaller boost. I mean the only boost twa gets is a little base dmg and 5 dex. That's all of a bout 3% boost in Rudra's dmg... technically skewed but more or less neglible
[+]
 Titan.Shadowsonic
By Titan.Shadowsonic 2011-03-28 01:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much see the Lv90 Twashtar is out of reach, and Mandau trials are much easier, is why I'm comparing the Lv 90Mandau to 85Twash.
[+]
 Asura.Jaybezz
Server: Asura
By Asura.Jaybezz 2011-03-28 02:02:43
Link | Quote | Reply

if u can build a dagger relic in a week be my guest lol

also lol at 85-90 being hard HQ cerb is a puddy kat with 3 heads

130m + doing city dyna boss's or a week in abyssea with a few friends

also with 85-90 u can even do pick up runs and leach the items off other's popset as 90% of the time they will be after the +2 items/mantle/lolGK....
[+]
 Titan.Shadowsonic
By Titan.Shadowsonic 2011-03-28 02:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Not looking for which one is easier to get, its which one out performs the other weapon really.
[+]
 Asura.Domz
user: Domz
By Asura.Domz 2011-03-28 02:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

wait... level 90 twastar out of reach?! ***you got the hard part out of the way you already killed the glavoids. itzy and orthrus are *** pushovers.

in terms of practicality what will you be able to get done faster, the gil/ancient currency, or the nms and trial items?
[+]
 Asura.Jaybezz
By Asura.Jaybezz 2011-03-28 02:14:51
Link | Quote | Reply

basic terms lol if u got 130m lying around in ur weekend pants build relic, if u dont have 130m build ice cream cone its simple

both r really good, + dnc can use the ice cream cone as well ^^
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-03-28 02:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Both are good, If i had my choice I'd probably get a Mandau.

If i remember math Favors Mandau (90) over Thwast(90). Rudra's/Mercy are very similar in damage, one with a STR mod, one with a DEX mod.

Really, Matter of preference, But if i remember right Mandau is the better of the two, if only by a little.

I Could also be wrong so I'd wait for someone to come in here with Vacuum'd Math claiming it as law :3
 Asura.Domz
user: Domz
By Asura.Domz 2011-03-28 02:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

heres another interesting point... why not get both? not like the twatstar needs gil. just the mandau. dualweild empy relic ftw
 Titan.Sphinxx
user: Sphinxx
By Titan.Sphinxx 2011-03-28 02:23:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jaybezz said:
basic terms lol if u got 130m lying around in ur weekend pants build relic, if u dont have 130m build ice cream cone its simple

both r really good, + dnc can use the ice cream cone as well ^^

I've had a bunch of currency sitting around for about a year now in hopes of Aegis. However, with PLD becoming less and less useful in abyssea and especially lowman situations, it is no longer a fun job for me and I've decided to give up on that goal. As it stands, THF is a job I play much more often, and would probably benefit the most from a relic weapon as opposed to my other DD jobs that won't be seeing any action.

So the issue isn't at all how difficult either of them is going to be to obtain, it's the numbers being put out by both.

Asura.Karbuncle said:

I Could also be wrong so I'd wait for someone to come in here with Vacuum'd Math claiming it as law :3

Something like this would be much more helpful than "lolgoget90emp".

Thank you. :3
[+]
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-03-28 02:25:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd probably get Mandau. It seems like the better bet.

At the very least its better in the DPS Faze as it doesn't require Mercy Stroke being used in order to get 3x Damage procs (Its hidden vs Thwast After-math)
 Gilgamesh.Ravenlokk
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Ravenlokk
By Gilgamesh.Ravenlokk 2011-03-28 02:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

This makes no sense, you can get Twashtar 85-90 in a day, you cant do that with mandau... Relic 85-90 is way more work lol. I solod ukon 85-90 in a day, and got piles of +2 in the process; if you care about gil u can find people who want to buy the stones and bank up in the process. NIN WAR WHM BLM 4box, and get a lot of grellow in the process. No brewing required.
[+]
 Ramuh.Yarly
Server: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2011-03-28 02:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Why not both? They don't necessarily share the same resources.

If you absolutely have to choose one, Mandau looks like the better choice in the long run.
 Gilgamesh.Ravenlokk
By Gilgamesh.Ravenlokk 2011-03-28 02:39:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Twashtar kinda sucks tbh, do mandau and ukon! And a WoE Dagger for good measure.

Edit: Since thf generally spams SA and TA solo w/o WS (for TH procs) you'll be spamming evisceration. Rudras is poop w/o SA/TA.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2011-03-28 02:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

just remember that twatsmasher (twashtar) loses alot of its dot/aftermath if you have to use evis (which you should, since Rudra's is kinda meh w/o SA)

and what karbuncle said earlier, that relic proc on mandau isn't tied to the ws.

that being said, i think mandau is the better choice; only because i feel like it has the potential to get an upgrade next update that could blow Emp away. (though maybe you should wait and see, the update is only 1~2months away~)
[+]
 Leviathan.Alkalinejoe
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Alkalinejoe 2011-03-28 02:58:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a question, since most of the replies here are based that you would be using the daggers on THF, how would Mandau vs Twashtar compare for DNC?

Finishing up my Gandiva soon and I need to be looking for which Empyrean to start next, right now I'm at a toss up between Almace (for BLU) and Twashtar (DNC). I usually am more often on DNC so I was leaning towards the dagger but the Almace is a definite game changer for BLU and I (and maybe my LS) would be more inclined to have me come BLU to more things.

With Dyna changes coming soon it will be more likely that Mandau could be more accessible and I will aim for that if Mandau pulls ahead for DNC.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2011-03-28 03:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Alkalinejoe said:
I have a question, since most of the replies here are based that you would be using the daggers on THF, how would Mandau vs Twashtar compare for DNC?

Finishing up my Gandiva soon and I need to be looking for which Empyrean to start next, right now I'm at a toss up between Almace (for BLU) and Twashtar (DNC). I usually am more often on DNC so I was leaning towards the dagger but the Almace is a definite game changer for BLU and I (and maybe my LS) would be more inclined to have me come BLU to more things.

With Dyna changes coming soon it will be more likely that Mandau could be more accessible and I will aim for that if Mandau pulls ahead for DNC.

i didn't know dnc could use mandau..
[+]
 Leviathan.Alkalinejoe
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Alkalinejoe 2011-03-28 03:02:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Ghaleon said:
Leviathan.Alkalinejoe said:

i didn't know dnc could use mandau..
Erg, I had a brain fart =/

Excuse my lapse of intelligence. xD I assumed DNC could use it.

Edit: Bet you can tell I hardly do dyna.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-28 07:42:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't understand how people equate cooldown periods as making something harder or take more time to get.

Just because you can get tons of people to help you spend 20 hours in a row farming something for you but you got it done in "1 day" doesn't make it take less time than something you had to do over the course of a few weeks cause you could only put in a couple hours at a time.

Not to mention you could easily upgrade a few peoples relics at the same time without taking any longer.

And lol at getting that many cerbs done in a day. Low man fight takes a decent amount of time. But mostly that damn tiger is highly camped over here. Even if you got every pop instant killed the tiger while having other people camp pop items in the mean time then instant warped and killed NQ cerb than HQ that's a good 10.5ish hours of just doing that. Doesn't count actual kill times of the varios nms if you can get claim or not running around or farming time
 Asura.Jaybezz
By Asura.Jaybezz 2011-03-28 08:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
I don't understand how people equate cooldown periods as making something harder or take more time to get.

Just because you can get tons of people to help you spend 20 hours in a row farming something for you but you got it done in "1 day" doesn't make it take less time than something you had to do over the course of a few weeks cause you could only put in a couple hours at a time.

Not to mention you could easily upgrade a few peoples relics at the same time without taking any longer.

And lol at getting that many cerbs done in a day. Low man fight takes a decent amount of time. But mostly that damn tiger is highly camped over here. Even if you got every pop instant killed the tiger while having other people camp pop items in the mean time then instant warped and killed NQ cerb than HQ that's a good 10.5ish hours of just doing that. Doesn't count actual kill times of the varios nms if you can get claim or not running around or farming time

cap pearl cap azure 2-3 amber kills tell me what happens :P
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-28 08:06:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I've done that. And I've seen an hour go by and not getting a hide. Idk maybe I was just unlucky but I've very rarely found that in a gold chest. Like only time I found was in a farm for chest run. And the couple of dozen pts I've had over there never seen one
 Gilgamesh.Ravenlokk
By Gilgamesh.Ravenlokk 2011-03-28 13:40:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Um, you can just buy hides. And cleave with a couple amber while ur doing time for Orthrus/Amharok. Have 1 mule or a leecher go to town to bring an amarok pop- kill amarok/orthrus while they get another; rinse repeat. If you dont have gil for some reason sell seals/stones/sword/mantle to recoup your tiger costs. But tbh at this point in the game if you dont have enough gil to buy pops then clearly you shouldnt be considering mandau as an option. That and the fact that its not hard to get positive gil just doing abyssea regularly.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-28 14:24:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps. On the other hand even buying pops it's still gunna take alot of manhours. I wouldn't call it faster just you can get it done sooner cause you can just get 10+ people grinding out for 20+ hours in a row mostly focusing on getting you your stuff. With right help and such getting done sooner doesn't mean easier or takes less time to do.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-03-28 14:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I've recently decided to build a Mandau. The level 90 Mandau is awesomesauce and I can only imagine what the 99 Mandau will be.
 Bismarck.Psyatica
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Psyatica 2011-03-28 14:43:39
Link | Quote | Reply

if you have the 130 mil 90 Twashtar wouldnt be hard considering you could easily pay out enough to make an ls practically build it for you with little to no effort given. jus sayin
 Bahamut.Alukat
user: Alukat
By Bahamut.Alukat 2011-03-28 15:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

i got a mandau and i totally love it <3

http://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots/54689

there u can see some dmg with pre 80 level cap gear (except af3+1 hands)
and if i remember right i just used RR atma, i did those while soloing, with RR + VV + SA (atma + JA ^^) i was once near the 5k mark on NMs.but usually its never below 3,5k dmg (yeah can't play so often to get new gear)
and don't forget the 10hp/tick poison effect which procs quite often (basically 200dmg/minute).
and triple dmg from hidden effect which goes up to 700dmg for crit, and 350 dmg for regular hit.

Edit: if u duo, SA + mercy stroke for aftermath (crit rate+) and if u have hate after using it, then u should go with TA or non TA evisceration while under aftermath, it is really a nice combination.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-03-28 15:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm..
I'm sorry, I love mandau as a weapon, and this one is crying ;;
[+]
 Bahamut.Alukat
user: Alukat
By Bahamut.Alukat 2011-03-28 15:23:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:

Hmm..
I'm sorry, I love mandau as a weapon, and this one is crying ;;

why starting such ***? i said its old gear and i don't have time to get new, so stfu pls.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5