Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Smithing » Smithing 50-60
Smithing 50-60
 Kujata.Shinitro
Server: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Shinitro
By Kujata.Shinitro 2009-03-17 15:33:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm leveling smithing for a sub, 53 atm, but my skill up rate atm is horrible. Getting about a .1 every 12~ synths which isn't normal. I'm using a crafting timer, waiting for a good day, etc etc, but still i get almost nothing. I'm not sure if its the recipee that doesn't allow for many skill ups (never heard of this but who knows) or if i'm just having bad luck. Any advice is welcome. '.' /
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-03-17 16:02:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I gave up Smithing for a while at 55.9 after wasting 100k worth of material and getting 0.2 from it. At this rate, I can't imagine how many billion gils it would take to bring it to 100. Well if you're missing just 7, I say don't give up, you'll get there, just a few more million gils lost ^^
 Kujata.Shinitro
By Kujata.Shinitro 2009-03-17 16:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

XD yea no kidding
 Unicorn.Sedres
Server: Unicorn
user: Sedres
By Unicorn.Sedres 2009-03-17 16:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Darksteel Ingots to Sheet would be the synth I would use. Skilling up any craft is slow, if it was any easier everyone would be doing it. The benefit for other crafts is the materials are readily available for lower costs than for us smiths.

Farm for Quadav Helms and desynth them for your ingots. You can sell the iron and steel on the side and get your darksteel ingots for pretty much no additional cost if you farm the lightning crystals (which can also be done in Beadeaux).

Crafting requies one of two things: either wasting tons of cash for quick skills, or alot of patience. I'm at 73 now and getting a hold of the darksteel ingots to synth into darksteel nodowa's is boring as ***, but I'd prefer that over buying the ingots and wasting money on breaks and loss.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-03-17 17:12:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I havent done smithing, and havent lvled all that much in crafting, u can see my page. My secret is always go for money making synths, not far above your lvl and farm what u can. Always made money havent have many problems.
 Bismarck.Jimothy
Server: Bismarck
user: Jimothy
By Bismarck.Jimothy 2009-03-17 17:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

After 50 on any craft the skill up rate drops significantly for any synth. 1 skill up every 12 synths is discouraging but sometimes it will even out and you get a few in a row. Smithing 50-55 is pretty easy because you can make darksteel ingots and then make sheets out of them to 55. 55+ is a bit tricky since everything is a loss, the best solution I can think of is to make darksteel bolt heads, get advanced synth support and tough it through the first 2 levels. If you can, check and see the people who sell darksteel bolt quivers and see if you can cut a deal with them to sell in bulk, since you'll have a crapton of heads by the time you hit 60.

If you have clothcraft sub you can also make haidate from time to time since they also cap at 62 and sell semi-frequently due to being used in cursed haidate. Darksteel chains are another option but they only sell in singles so don't overdo it or you'll be drowning in them. Depending on what you need the sub for, you might be able to gain skill from making it.

Also, for anything using darksteel, don't buy stacks of ingots if you're concerned about losing money. You can save ~25-40k per stack of ingots just by making them from ores yourself.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-17 18:51:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Darksteel Sheets. Expensive, but they sell well; not only will you not lose that much gil levelling, you'll also not have to wait long to get your gil back. These take you to 55;

To 58, I did Kyofu - Cheap synth, NPC okay, bit of a loss though. Materials always available however so easy to level without waiting ten years;

To 60 I did Nodowas, but this is because I was going to above sub level. Probably better synths for the 60 cap out there if you look around.
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
Server: Lakshmi
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2009-03-17 21:07:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Steel Ingots >> 54 (Buy mats from guilds or mine Mount Z.)

Gauntlets >> 57 (NPC for some loss. If you mine save your iron ingots for this)

D.S. Boltheads >> 60 (Synth until you have a full stack and sell or synth into bolts to recoup some losses)
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-17 21:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Darksteel Sheets are probably the cheapest way to 55, or you can just go straight to 57 with gauntlets, they npc fairly well.

Nodowah unfortunately is your next best bet, there's NOTHING you can synth and make money around here. The Tenshodo guild in Jeuno will buy them for a little more than regular npc's, but only 10 per day. If you are prepared to really take your time, the max price they buy nodowah is quite good, but I don't know what it takes to make the price go back up (mine sold for a nice price the first day, then sat at the consistent lowest price even after waiting a couple days).

From here you have a free ride to 73 with darksteel picks. Buy darksteel ores and make your own ingots and you can often save 1-2k per ingot, or desynth and try and get lucky, but that's a generally slow and not entirely profitable process. Darksteel picks sell to regular npc's for just a fraction under cost, or even over cost if you're lucky.

From 73... Good luck lol
 Kujata.Shinitro
By Kujata.Shinitro 2009-03-17 21:47:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for all the input, mostly it was just me venting about bad skillups XD. But the suggestions made did pretty much line up w/ what i had in mind, gauntlet/kyofu till 57/58 then nodowa's :) And its only going 60 :P