Stereotypical Gamers - Article Mentions FFXI

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Stereotypical Gamers - Article mentions FFXI
Stereotypical Gamers - Article mentions FFXI
First Page 2
 Fenrir.Mahorosama
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Mahorosama 2009-03-09 04:51:37
Link | Quote | Reply

http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Boys-Club/Poor-and-Lonely-Boys-Checking-in-on-the-Stereotypical-Gamer

Have fun reading!
 Remora.Narrubia
Server: Remora
user: Narrubia
By Remora.Narrubia 2009-03-09 06:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, I'm too busy leveling my Blue Mage and living off of dry cereal to bother reading this!
 Hades.Buffy
Server: Hades
By Hades.Buffy 2009-03-09 07:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

lol narrubla
 Ramuh.Kiriyu
Server: Ramuh
user: kiriyu
By Ramuh.Kiriyu 2009-03-09 08:23:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey! I spent my birthdays playing final fantasy D:

Oh, but I had Burger King. So it's okay.
 Unicorn.Emirii
Server: Unicorn
user: Emerii1
By Unicorn.Emirii 2009-03-09 08:53:50
Link | Quote | Reply

This only accounts for about like 1/4th of the actual gaming population - the population that can't control how long they play for and don't know when to take breaks. ;) I'm pretty sure most of us do that. Do I grind? Yes. Do I miss work to merit? No.
 Ifrit.Durai
Server: Ifrit
user: olan
By Ifrit.Durai 2009-03-09 09:07:49
Link | Quote | Reply

That article is blocked by my work, but I can imagine what it is saying...

After I bought the game in 2004 (I think), I looked at its reviews on amazon or something like it to read its customer reviews. This guy said, "Do NOT buy this game. It is so addicting... it made me quit work and school...blah blah blah.

I posted and called him an idiot, called in sick to work and leveled WHM...jk, but I did call him an idiot.
 Ramuh.Jackel
user: Jackel
By Ramuh.Jackel 2009-03-09 09:57:13
Link | Quote | Reply

This guy must fit the mold to then...it must means all nerds go to the moon!
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-09 10:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't been to the moon O_O Well, unless you count BlastCorps and Majora's Mask on N64 (or was it GCN?)
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-03-09 10:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

This is something I would have used as a Asignment back in Highschool. However technology has so far advanced since 1989-93 that well... I would have been extremely ahead of myself.. and probably scored huge on grades. I'm sure that their are Teens out there that Would certainly love to get their hands on this and use this for a nice assignment.
 Kujata.Yishay
Server: Kujata
user: yishaymnk
By Kujata.Yishay 2009-03-09 10:57:13
Link | Quote | Reply

hmmm so what about me? i'm 32 and two kids married house three cars etc. ... i guess i fit the mold when i'm not working but my job allows me to take a month off after working two straight months or so. i hate it when they find the best example of stupid and put that in the news and call it "standard" i say let the kid go it's called natural selection those who can't handle it will fade away in a few more years lol.
 Asura.Celene
Server: Asura
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-03-09 11:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
I haven't been to the moon O_O Well, unless you count BlastCorps and Majora's Mask on N64 (or was it GCN?)

No, you're right. Majora's Mask is for the N64 and was released in NA mid October, 2000.

It's a long story how I remember that.

"44% of online gamers are reportedly female."
Really, so high? Feels like I am the only female half the time when I play. xD
 Ifrit.Haseyo
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-09 11:53:21
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I actually didn't want to go to my family's house because I was invited to an exp party. ; ;

Oh, this was on Christmas.
 Asura.Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-03-09 12:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Tisk Tisk. Family first. :B
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-09 12:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Celene said:
Blazza said:

No, you're right. Majora's Mask is for the N64 and was released in NA mid October, 2000.

Apparently all the women are playing everquest.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-09 12:05:45
Link | Quote | Reply

double post, meh

Haseyo said:
I actually didn't want to go to my family's house because I was invited to an exp party. ; ;

Oh, this was on Christmas.

ooh oooh ooh, I got my Suppanomimi on Christmas day lol (***, that must have been over two years ago O_O)
 Asura.Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-03-09 12:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

lolEQ.
Wow, we women fail. :(((

I don't even turn on my system on Christmas... <_<;
 Garuda.Littledarc
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-03-09 12:24:20
Link | Quote | Reply

44%??? that's it? tsk tsk we women need to start taking over, or at least get that extra 6% to be even.

that video with the kid being pulled off his game looked staged to me...
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-03-09 12:25:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Celene said:
Blazza said:

Apparently all the women are playing everquest.

You silly. Everyone knows theres no women on teh intarwebz
 Fenrir.Omnitank
Server: Fenrir
user: Omnitank
By Fenrir.Omnitank 2009-03-09 12:28:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny ***. I didn't read the whole article, the author seemed angry, or on his high horse.

Where were the female gamers, or the guys pretending to be girls?

Did he coment on the people who killed themselves because of video games? That ***is f'd up.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-09 12:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Seeing as how I'm unemployed atm, I kinda fit the stereotype in that article. My family gets on my ***about my loads of FFXI playing, but I'm like "What the *** else am I supposed to do?! I HAVE NO GODDAMN JOB!!!" I mean, I spend my mornings turning in apps and submitting resumes and ***, but since the entire job market is in the shitter right now I don't ever hear anything back...I've actually been in retail management so long that I think people consider me overqualified for anything that isn't mgmt, but ya know, I'd be a *** cashier at this point, I really dont care...

Oh well, at least I got my unemployment coming, but lemme tell ya, that ***is just enough to live, and not a penny more :(

Omnitank said:
Did he coment on the people who killed themselves because of video games? That ***is f'd up.

That guy that committed suicide over EQ2 back in '01 lived not far from me. I didn't know him, but that started a *** SHITSTORM in the news up here, lemme tell you. First real MMO related suicide I can remember...
 Ramuh.Kiriyu
user: kiriyu
By Ramuh.Kiriyu 2009-03-09 12:48:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Cmon girls, let's get that last 4% D:
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-09 12:52:59

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Seeing as how I'm unemployed atm, I kinda fit the stereotype in that article.

Right now that's an American stereotype that's for the most part pretty damn true; sadly I fall under it too. Turning over every rock still yields virtually nothing.

Oh and in response to the article:

Yeah, stereotypes are created and used based on a blind truth. Meaning there are groups that fall under the accusations however, this (no matter how common) falls all under an individual basis. Everyone has their own reasons for playing video games, and everyone has their own motives, methods and basis for it. All in moderation is the key really. I suppose it could be worse. We could be horrible drug fiends and junkies snorting coke chasing that high for the rest of our lives, but I'll stick to FFXI pizza and beer on friday nights :3
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-09 12:58:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Turning over every rock still yields virtually nothing.

Yeah, it's pretty *** frustrating. To anyone out there that doesn't like their job and are thinking of quitting, DON'T...at least, not yet.

And *** Monster.com...what a useless site. All it ever got me was spam from Health Insurance companies and "Paid" job seminars (i.e., scams)...
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-09 13:00:35

The good news is the school and skill training institutes is at an all time high. Meaning more and more people will get the education and skills needed to fill in the holes for more jobs that require specific qualifications. Unfortunately when the problem is based on economics, you could still be SOL. I have plenty of college educated friends, bachelor and master's degrees and can't get into anything. Not to mention they over-qualify for the small stuff. It's really sad.
 Asura.Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-03-09 13:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
I'll stick to FFXI pizza and beer on friday nights :3

{Yes, please} 8D Love them Friday nights.

About the job topic.

What sucks is sometimes employers don't tell their employees directly about job cuts and they have to find out through the news.

"Oh, by the way, did you watch the news today?"
"No...?"
"Your company has been shut down"
"..."
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-03-09 13:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Last year I skipped Thanksgiving dinner so I could finish soloing Ix'DRG...
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-09 13:27:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Celene said:
About the job topic.

What sucks is sometimes employers don't tell their employees directly about job cuts and they have to find out through the news.

"Oh, by the way, did you watch the news today?"
"No...?"
"Your company has been shut down"
"..."

Pretty much how I found out about my last employer going down the shitter. I mean, all of us had some idea that things were going badly (I remember coming in one morning and hearing that thousands of people, literally half of our corporate office, got ***-canned on the same day with zero warning), but we really didn't see it coming, not so damn fast anyways...

Then, about 2 weeks later, it hit the news that they had filed bankruptcy, and that's when they decided to let everyone know that the ship was sunk. We actually had liquidators and extra security show up before they announced it to us...classy. I wasn't even on shift at the time, I got a phone call at home, "Hey, guess what? We're out of business!" Grrrreat.....

It did serve as a learning experience, at least...I know now that if a company starts going through CFO's and COO's at the rate of one per month, it's time to start putting out aps lol

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Clowdd
By Shiva.Clowdd 2009-03-09 14:05:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm out of cereal... /cry..... /panic

LoL thas funny but sadly its true some people will grind their souls away but hey I dont pass judgement what they do with their life is none of muh Biznasssss.

I wanna grind sometimes too but my lvls will make their ways in due time. I have 2 daughters so as much as I love this game watching them grow has been more exciting than lvling!

But when I am on I get to play with my RL wife and my father in law which thx to this game has made communicating with our dad easier and less costly since he is in the nederlands and we are here in america.

"Paul" is doing wut he wants and no one is obviously stopping him... IMO if I was 31 and living with my mother, working part time and the rest of my life is spent eating cereal and grinding out my FFXI jobs to 75 then yes it would be pathetic cuz there is so much to see in this world and if u are that much of an avid gamer get a laptop and a wireless connection on the go and get some damn sun! Plus wut is up with Pauls mom? When I was a teen I couldn't stay home if I wanted.. lol... parents were like get out we want peace and quiet and thats wut happened I bounced and enjoyed life let alone being 31 in the attic!
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-09 14:14:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sovereign said:
Last year I skipped Thanksgiving dinner so I could finish soloing Ix'DRG...

lol well I had cancelled a date to keep xping once
First Page 2