Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Fan-Art » 1000 images
1000 images
By Enedin 2011-01-30 19:57:51
Link | Quote | Reply

After a few weeks of planning, importing, rearranging and clipping, this project is done. It's a poster, a BIG poster: 82.97 x 107.22 cm / 32.667 x 42.213 inches.

...which is pretty huge. I've taken 1000 images from the FF8 discs (all are ripped from the game), and started playing around with a lot of ideas. This is what I came up with. It took a lot of careful planning, a lot of calculations and a LOT of waiting for my computer to be done with saving, moving or adjusting the huge files.

A sample, purely to show you the composition and size of the images, you can find here.
I've uploaded the complete, the huge PNG file for your viewing pleasure here.
A much smaller (but more bandwidth-friendly) version can be found here.

WARNING: if the huge PNG file doesn't show crystal clear in your browser, download it to your computer.

And finally, the ready-to-print file, which is in .TIFF format, is ready for you to take to your local print shop and ask them to print the damn thing. Too bad I can't ask money for this (everything on this poster belongs to SE, pretty much), since it was quite a task, but I'm not in it for the money. Here it is, though the .tiff file is zipped, since it's 485 MB. The .zip file is 'only' 167 MB.

PS: every image is unique, there are no duplicates.
[+]
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2011-01-30 20:13:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know how anyone else hasn't commented yet but that's awesome lol.
 Sylph.Skinner
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Skinner 2011-01-30 20:15:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I want this on my wall right now.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Server: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-30 20:16:27
Link | Quote | Reply

indeed, 8 is one of my favorite games of all time.

epic
By Enedin 2011-01-30 20:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Skinner said:
I want this on my wall right now.

That's the idea, just need to get it printed. I'm gonna do that myself this week :)
 Sylph.Shinobu
Server: Sylph
user: shinobu
By Sylph.Shinobu 2011-01-30 20:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

One sec, let me take this cactus, that they rammed up my *** in art school, out. I feel that the idea would work better if you did one of those collages where there an image from the tonal distribution of the images. Using that, and making it into the cacutaur instead.
Would be a significantly longer time though :(

Otherwise looks neat. I never realized how close cacutar are to swastikas.
 Unicorn.Emirii
Server: Unicorn
user: Emerii1
By Unicorn.Emirii 2011-01-30 20:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice! It is very well done :)

You could sell them as it is fanart
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2011-01-30 20:52:20
Link | Quote | Reply

That is absolutely phenomenal. I am definetely going to have a framed print of this made ^-^
By Enedin 2011-01-31 05:46:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shinobu said:
One sec, let me take this cactus, that they rammed up my *** in art school, out. I feel that the idea would work better if you did one of those collages where there an image from the tonal distribution of the images. Using that, and making it into the cacutaur instead.
Would be a significantly longer time though :(

Otherwise looks neat. I never realized how close cacutar are to swastikas.

My first idea was to determine the average color of each seperate image, slice those images in a square form, and place them together, to create something resembling a large picture. Like you say, tonal distribution.

Then I figured: "nah, I'll just make a collage". But just a collage isn't fun, so I decided to extract images up to the 1000 I have here, and paste them into a giant Cactuar. Well, the area the pics take up now is about 80%, the cactus is only 20%.

That means that the original poster would have been 4 times larger >.> which was too big to put anywhere, really. So I decided to go with this.

It's a pretty basic image - it's just 1000 images pasted and clipped to form a cactus - but it's gonna look great in my room :)
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-01-31 05:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

The work is definitely impressive. However, rate me down, but 8?!
Oh well to each his own, nice job, I would have used any other one (even FFX-II, dunno about XIII) for such hard work.

Gotta give you props for the effort put into it though.
By Enedin 2011-01-31 06:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Oh well to each his own, nice job, I would have used any other one (even FFX-II, dunno about XIII) for such hard work.

Thanks. I picked FF8 because it's the one I love the most.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-01-31 06:02:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Enedin said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

Thanks. I picked FF8 because it's the one I love the most.
Anyone who would do that much for a game would definitely love it the most :D
 Lakshmi.Ratie
Server: Lakshmi
user: ratie
By Lakshmi.Ratie 2011-01-31 06:10:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Quite amazing :)

Shows how long its been since I've played it, espeically when i go "where the hell is that again?"

(b ' ')b
 Asura.Katniss
Server: Asura
user: Katniss
By Asura.Katniss 2011-01-31 06:21:29
Link | Quote | Reply

lovin' it!
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-01-31 09:05:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I really like it, but ditch the "1000 images" tag. I feel like the eye is drawn to it, and it's irrelevant, taking away from the overall image.
By Enedin 2011-01-31 09:14:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
I really like it, but ditch the "1000 images" tag. I feel like the eye is drawn to it, and it's irrelevant, taking away from the overall image.

My original idea was to make it span across the entire width of the cactuar. It's a designer's choice - arguments pro and contra :)
 Ramuh.Sagittario
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2011-01-31 21:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Upon closer admiring of your work, I noticed that you have removed your party of characters to take the shot... how on earth did you manage to do this to such perfection with every picture? Also is it just me or are the pictures all of a superior resolution and quality to what we see in the game? You must have run a super high resolution?
 Ramuh.Scizor
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2011-01-31 21:22:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Upon closer admiring of your work, I noticed that you have removed your party of characters to take the shot... how on earth did you manage to do this to such perfection with every picture? Also is it just me or are the pictures all of a superior resolution and quality to what we see in the game? You must have run a super high resolution?
Good question, its looks beautiful. is it possible were remembering it looking crappy because of the character models?
By Enedin 2011-02-01 10:21:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Sagittario said:

Heh, those aren't screenshots. I popped in my FF8 PS discs and used a program called FF8 mimic to rip the files. Standard size was 320x224 pixels, a quarter of the size of a SD TV. This was upscaled, but on PC it looks very clear.

There are no party members or other people in the files of the pre-rendered backgrounds, those are added later on by the game code. So I didn't remove anything, I just ripped 'em like this.