Gear Advice Anyone?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » Gear advice anyone?
Gear advice anyone?
 Quetzalcoatl.Realistx
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Realistx
By Quetzalcoatl.Realistx 2011-01-27 16:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Been a while since I've been able to play the game. I just got Visions+Scars, and soon Heroes, and been taking a lot of time to try to upgrade my old gear. The only thing is... With all these new items to come out.. I'm not sure which direction I should head. Here is my current setup for TP and WS(Jin) Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And just as a heads up... I'm currently working on AF3, but it's going slowly. I don't belong to an abyssea LS so I'm having to gather randoms for seals etc.

TP
Main: Senjuinrikio
Sub: Kamome
Ammo: Qirmiz Tathlum
Head: Walahra Turban
Body: Ninja Chainmail +
Hands: Dusk Gloves (Want to get +1... But good lord, 6m?)
Legs: Byakko's Haidate
Feet: Fuma Sune-Ate (Old school, I know.)
Neck: Peacock Charm
Back: Cavaros Mantle/Cuchulain's Mantle (Not sure which of the two is better, technically speaking.)
Waist: Headlong Belt (Working on Swift Belt.)
Ear1: Brutal Earring
Ear2: Ethereal Earring (For now. Can't get Suppa because of SAM (<3) but I hear the Iga is just as good?)
Ring1: Rajas Ring
Ring2: Sniper's Ring

WS
Head: Anwig Salade
Body: Haubergeon
Hands: Pallas Bracelets (Alky's have come way down in price, so I'll buy them whenever I get the chance.)
Legs: Byakko's Haidate
Feet: Denali Gamashes
Neck: Chivalrous Chain
Back: Cuchulain's Mantle
Waist: Warwolf Belt
Ear1: Brutal Earring
Ear2: Bushinomimi
Ring1: Rajas Ring
Ring2: Spiral Ring

My main problem seems to be with ACC on tp'ing (And somewhat on WS) since I can't merit my katana and lack of suppa kinda sucks... Anything I can do to make up for that? Anyway, any criticism welcome.

On a side note, how does one add the gear template to a forum post?
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-01-28 07:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

the best thing you can do for your nin is get atmas if you haven't already (i assume you haven't, since you say you're having acc problems). you'll want razed ruins (ironclad pulverizer), gnarled horn (sobek), and... something to hold you off until atma of the apocalypse (you should be able to solo atma of the stout arm, at least). if you don't have access to 3 atmas, you should at least be able to get two and hopefully leech enough to get a third atma. those will do far more for you than actually gearing your nin.

mainhand: ichi-an for easy-to-get, magian and nm drops if you want to put more effort into it.

head: af3, berstuk shouldn't be too hard to solo (though i haven't tried it). anwig is good, depending on augments.

body: af1/haub is good, haub+1/af3/lokis for upgrade, but af3/lokis might be a pain without good friends to help.

hands: dunno here, nq dusk is fine but i ws in o.kotes (no af+1 hands). ample gloves from iktomi are comparable to af+1, but alky's might be good in abyssea too.

legs: af3 for tp, i still use byakkos for ws but i haven't thought about that too much. hachiryu/teutates/usu legs for capped ddex? not sure. minax bugard and athamas are both soloable by nin.

feet: fumas are fine, ballerines if you have people to kill durinn, otherwise you're looking at waiting until af3+2 for something with more haste than fumas. but you might want af3+1 for ws anyway.

neck: pcc is fine for tp, might want to look into iga erimaki (soloable). you have sea, get a gorget for ws.

back: cuch is pretty meh now, atheling mantle is 100% drop and drops other nice stuff, so i don't think it would be too bad getting a group together for this. unsure of atheling/af3 for ws, but atheling is probably easier to get from a pickup group.

waist: i wouldn't bother with swift, ovni (bullwhip belt) is soloable, or you could try to leech clears for access to twilight. warwolf is probably still pretty good.

ear: brutal is good. i don't know why you're so stubborn about keeping bushi, especially now. iga earring is 1% dw, so no, not just as good. i don't know what lack of suppa has to do with acc problems. maybe centaurus or aesir ear pendant for ws.

rings: rajas is good. keen ring once you sort out your acc problems for tp, or heed ring if you want subtle blow and evasion. spiral should be fine for ws.

Kujata.Thud
Server: Kujata
user: Thud
By Kujata.Thud 2011-01-28 07:44:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you have Atma of the razed ruin? (http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Atma_of_the_Razed_Ruins)

This is really step 1. Before gear, get this atma!

It boosts damage like no other! It also has 50dex which will likely take care of your acc issues.

Lack of katana merits does kind of suck, but not the end of the world. Iga is no suppa, but it's worth getting. I have it (as I have bush as well) and I like it! (The NM that drops it is plenty soloable if you have a decent evasion set/atmas).

As for other pieces of gear to look at, I suppose it depends on the time you have to invest.

AF3+2 is really nice stuff, but obviously there are some tough items to get (nin body seals and +2 items can be a pain to get unless you have friends). If 1 item stands out, it has to be the feet! They give you 5 ni shadows and 4 ichi shadows. They are really nice! They would definitely be my 1st priority!

+1 pants, feet and head are not hard to get (although I prefer Acubens Helm to the head) and nice pieces. The +1 hands aren't that tough to get either, but have situational use.

Tobi+2 is nice if you have the patience for woe (obviously kannagi is better, but that's a whole different story).

Twilight belt is easy to get and really sexy! Just get all your zone clears + caturae kills and you will have no problem getting it.

If you lack RR, then absolutely don't WS in gigas bracelets! Try and get AF1+1 if you can. If you have RR, then the -dex isn't as much of a concern, so they may work (although I would still suggest AF1+1).

You add itemsset by using the [itemset ]######[ /itemset] tag.
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-01-28 08:00:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Thud said:
Tobi+2 is nice if you have the patience for woe (obviously kannagi is better, but that's a whole different story).

85 Kannagi is much easier to get, and much better. WoE is a giant kick in the nuts, I don't care who you are.

As for being stubborn and not wanting to get Suppa... suck it up and get it. (All of you :<) Bushi is what... 5 skill, 2STR? It's really not *that* good. You don't need the accuracy in Abyssea (with Razed Ruins) so you'd be better off TPing in various other things anyway. Plus Suppa's a way better upgrade--there's nothing like it (by the way, Iga earring is only 1%, 2% DW at most, Suppa is 5).
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-28 08:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

WoE isn't so bad. I can solo 4 NQ crabs at once :). But always was better to go with the group doing flux 2 since I always placed if I didn't DC and we'd actually win.

Theoretically you could get all the coins you need in a single run. I actually had a run where 4 pouches of the coins I needed dropped in final box and a couple of other people got them too. Unfortunately I dcd right before the win so I could see people lotting said pouches but couldn't even see the treasure pool lol.

And having recently finish lvl 80 kannagi for someone... that will take you a bit of time unless you bring decent amounts of help
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-01-28 08:13:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
WoE isn't so bad. I can solo 4 NQ crabs at once :). But always was better to go with the group doing flux 2 since I always placed if I didn't DC and we'd actually win.

Theoretically you could get all the coins you need in a single run. I actually had a run where 4 pouches of the coins I needed dropped in final box and a couple of other people got them too. Unfortunately I dcd right before the win so I could see people lotting said pouches but couldn't even see the treasure pool lol.

And having recently finish lvl 80 kannagi for someone... that will take you a bit of time unless you bring decent amounts of help

Yeah but soloing stuff without getting the boxes is reallly painful and slow. Also not reliable. Also you have to worry about leeches. Even if you go with a group of 5 (been doing this to help my friend get Verethragna-1) there's always a leech, so they take your healer/lowest person's box... etc etc etc.... It's a huge hassle, and it's MUCH easier to farm Kannagi... and it's reliable... and you'll want to kill people less. Yes it does require receiving some help, but if you're going to drag people to help with WoE... I'm sure said people would much rather be helping with an Empyrean. I know I'd rather do that then terribad WoE. I despise that place.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-01-28 10:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

getting kannagi 80 is slow to solo but not unheard of, sobek shouldn't be hard to get help for because af+2 stuff.

regarding stealing healer's chests, the ranking system seems weird to me. i place low if i don't melee at all on whm, but if i engage for a little bit i place well. i do ***for damage, but maybe i rank higher because i take more damage.
 Quetzalcoatl.Realistx
By Quetzalcoatl.Realistx 2011-01-28 17:29:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Since I posted last, I've come into the alky's, AF3 +1 head and now currently 3 seals away from AF3 +1 legs. So still very slowly getting there.

@Lorzy

Part of my post was poorly written. My ACC has nothing to do with Suppa, was just complaining about the lack of it :P As far as the Ichi-an goes... Will I really benefit from that more than Senju in main hand? To complement the other +crit gear and merits etc. I'm no mathematician so I have no idea. Either way, it seems to be a nice katana.

I've been camping GG off and on for the Iga neck. As soon as I can come into the gil, I'll get the other obvious good upgrades like hauby +1 etc. As far as the atheling mantle goes, I know next to nothing about the nm, or how solo/duo/triable it is. I'll read up about it though and give it a shot soon.
------
@Thud

Thanks for the info on the item template lol. Like I said I'm having to mostly get randoms for my AF3 items, but I have 2 very trustworthy people to take with me for AF3+2. We can duo/trio most of them reliably. I just first need to get the other necessary things ready... Like actually having the AF3+1 :P

As far as atmas go, I have a really healthy amount of varied different ones. I got screwed out of RR because of a bad party leader... But I'm currently trying to get zone wins and caturae kills for twilight gear and what not. I do have access to 2 atmas at the moment. I mostly use Alpha and Omega and Stout Arm for NIN, unless I need extra AGI/EVA or MAB/INT.

I don't have af+1 hands and won't any time soon most likely... So I'll have to work on finding a decent alternative to them soon.
------
@Niniann

As much as I'd love to have one of the magian weapons like Kannagi, I don't have the time or means to keep setting up runs for the items. I'm currently trying to get into a good abyssea shell right now, and if I can, then I'll begin to work on those things.

I do know the Suppa is -that- good... I've just had the Bushi for so long that it will be hard to part with it. SAM is my first love but I am serious about NIN... It'll just take some thought on my part, even if the decision is (mostly) obvious. But I'll definitely look into it and the other DW earring.
------
So aside from RR, Suppa, AF3+2 and a few minor upgrades, is there anything else ball-shatteringly good I should look out for?

Also one more question... Is sekka+2 (eva) still even worth it at this point? Or are they completely worthless? Most people I talk to say you can get enough eva on regular tp gear that they don't even serve a purpose anymore. I was working on +2'ing two of these katana's lately.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-28 18:21:32
Link | Quote | Reply

AF+1 hands are easy to obtain. Temenos North floors 1 and 2 have a decent droprate on them, such that you're looking at a ~1/3 chance on any given run to receive the NIN item. Apollyon SW floor 3 (mimics) has a very generous drop rate on NIN. Both are soloable. I do not recommend Alkys for Jin, even in Abyssea; Ample Gloves or AF3 hands would also outperform them.

EDIT: Anybody telling you an AGI Sekka +2 isn't worth it because of other gear you can wear is dead wrong. It's the most efficient trade you can make for damage > evasion. Use an AGI Sekka, wear more offensive gear, have the same evade rate (or better if needed) and kill faster.
 Quetzalcoatl.Realistx
By Quetzalcoatl.Realistx 2011-01-28 18:34:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
AF+1 hands are easy to obtain. Temenos North floors 1 and 2 have a decent droprate on them, such that you're looking at a ~1/3 chance on any given run to receive the NIN item. Apollyon SW floor 3 (mimics) has a very generous drop rate on NIN. Both are soloable. I do not recommend Alkys for Jin, even in Abyssea; Ample Gloves or AF3 hands would also outperform them.

EDIT: Anybody telling you an AGI Sekka +2 isn't worth it because of other gear you can wear is dead wrong. It's the most efficient trade you can make for damage > evasion. Use an AGI Sekka, wear more offensive gear, have the same evade rate (or better if needed) and kill faster.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll go try to farm for the AF+1 gloves later on.

EDIT: Will Iga Zukin +1 outperform Anwig Salade (STR4 ACC10 ATT5 WSACC15?)