First Page 2 3 4
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2011-01-18 13:18:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi all.

I'm pretty new to Rdm (and mage jobs in general), and so I was just wondering if anyone could give advice/pointers on gearsets. Below are various different sets that I think I need, and while these are far from what I have, it would be nice to confirm that I'm working in the right direction. Any other advice/help is greatly appreciated.

Idle:
Assuming rings are augmented with -pdt%

Nuking:

Curing:

Enfeebling (MND):
INT can be swapped in where no enfeebling skill is present for INT based enfeebles.

Enhancing:
For stoneskin/phalanx etc

Fast cast:
Macroed in before casting.

Dark (stuns etc):

Also, I'd want to work on a conserve MP set and a HMP set.

Thanks for any advice offered!
By phawk23 2011-01-18 13:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Rdm can't wear that belt in your idle setup.
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2011-01-18 13:25:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Whoops, edited. Thanks.
By phawk23 2011-01-18 13:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Np :)
 Asura.Dtroyy
Server: Asura
By Asura.Dtroyy 2011-01-18 13:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM cant use Owleyes either id recommend using Terra's to idle in. Other sets look good, tho on nuking if you can pickup Morri Robe its the best nuking body atm.
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2011-01-18 13:30:33
Link | Quote | Reply

God damn. I'm full of fail today ; ; Edited again. My schedule's a bit too random to commit to Salvage unfortunately, but that comes with being a student.
 Shiva.Shinneh
Server: Shiva
user: Shinneh
By Shiva.Shinneh 2011-01-18 13:33:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Curing set should involve Cure Potency over MND (where applicable), and probably try to hit -50 enm cap too (since cure4 is all we getting for a while it seems)

ASA pants with Cure Potency +5% and enm-4 Is what I use, as well as Fylgja torque. Then kinda just putting enm- in some slots lol Seraph mittens are good for that (enm-8).

Oh and hedgehog Bomb :D lol

Other gearsets seem pretty good though.

edit: if you have wotg completed, Moonshade earring can be a nice addition to several sets. I use mine with MAB+4 refresh+1 augements (Doubt I will ever get Hectate's earring, or novio). Probably better augements than MAB+4 if you have better nuking earrings.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-01-18 13:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you use spellcast or windower scripts or just plain in game macros? Because this info changes what you are able to do with your sets.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2011-01-18 13:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Spellcast once I've found an xml I like. I'm looking at Esvediums on the windower forum atm, which has variables for staves/obi's etc. The other gearsets on there can be edited as I update my gear.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-01-18 13:56:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If it helps, I can post my xml once I get home, but it is an ever changing work so I'd recommend not using anything you don't know what it does.

As for adjustments:

Idle: Variable idle sets based on sitiuation Full refresh: Augmented pants with refresh +1 when you don't need movement speed although I like to keep my blood on over this.

Nuking: +2 version of corresponding potency staff
:mpaftercast<50%:Uggy pendant
Otherwise: Feud Pendant

Drop moldy for Hecate's Earring

Drop Augur's Jaseran for morri

Omega ring and aquilos for Ice soul rings

Hecate's cape might be better for higher tier nukes, I'd actually have to do some calcs for that...

Drop witch for Cognition Belt

Curing: As said before mnd isn't as good as potency, so while rdm potency gear is limited, do your best to get as much as you can and fill the rest with enm-.

Enfeeb: Don't worry so much about acc, go for potency for all spells that can make use of it(slow para ect and not silence or sleep) Fill in with acc where you can't get good potency numbers.

Enhancing:

Don't forget that while enhancing gear is good, you get a huge enhancing duration from the full +2 set so go for that rather than enhancing gear unless it actually makes a difference that is worth a lower duration. No point in casting haste in enhancing gear unless your worried about getting interupted or something...

Fast cast: there is an augmented neck that you can get some fastcast on.

Dark:
Need to split this up by spells, if you are /blm or /sch it gets a little more involved as drain and aspir are a bit different but for standard rdm spells the only one you have that needs anything is bio and if you aren't hitting a tier, don't bother carrying the gear as it isn't going to get resisted.
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2011-01-18 14:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
If it helps, I can post my xml once I get home, but it is an ever changing work so I'd recommend not using anything you don't know what it does.
If you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate that a lot, thanks.

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Nuking: +2 version of corresponding potency staff
:mpaftercast<50%:Uggy pendant
Otherwise: Feud Pendant
The staves will probably be a long term goal for me, as doing that many trials is gonna take me forever lol. I'm also going to pick up an Artemis' Medal for varying moon phases.

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Drop moldy for Hecate's Earring

Drop Augur's Jaseran for morri

Omega ring and aquilos for Ice soul rings
Sadly these are a bit out of my reach, my schedule is too random for salvage, I'm too broke to buy the rings at the moment, and a hecates would be a dream come true but chances are it'll be a long time before I get one.

I knew that cure potency comes before mnd but as you said, unfortunately rdm cure potency gear is limited, maybe I'll get off my *** and do ASA to get that leg piece, the atma would be nice too (ASA is the refresh one iirc?)

I'm assuming with the enhanced duration effect of full +2, enhancing would only be used for stoneskin/phalanx, or would a full mnd build be enough to reach the cap? I'll mess around with ffxicalc and find out.

The dark build was mainly for stuns to make sure they get off quickly and don't get resisted. I know things barely resist anymore, so is it actually worth it?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-18 14:15:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Note concerning Uggy Pendant, when inside Abyssea such things still activate off the % of your base HP/MP. So half of your Abyssea MP won't activate the pendant.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-18 14:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Natlow said:
I'm assuming with the enhanced duration effect of full +2, enhancing would only be used for stoneskin/phalanx, or would a full mnd build be enough to reach the cap? I'll mess around with ffxicalc and find out.
You probably cap Stoneskin naked these days if your enhancing skill is capped. I don't know what the current cap on Phalanx is though, if one exists. Also, set bonus only applies to non-self buffs iirc.
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2011-01-18 14:25:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Note concerning Uggy Pendant, when inside Abyssea such things still activate off the % of your base HP/MP. So half of your Abyssea MP won't activate the pendant.

I was assuming that was the case, as the same problem applies to Sorcerer's Ring too iirc.
 Siren.Catabolic
Server: Siren
user: Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2011-01-18 14:39:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
You probably cap Stoneskin naked these days if your enhancing skill is capped. I don't know what the current cap on Phalanx is though, if one exists. Also, set bonus only applies to non-self buffs iirc.

You can cap stoneskin pretty much naked, phalanx hasn't really been figured out but doesn't seem much different from what it was @75. Try to get Stone Gorget for Stoneskin(since cap is pretty much achieved naked this is one of the few pieces that will actually benefit anyone even though it will only benefit you)and its really easy to get.

Based on the numbers I'd have to say if Morrigan's Robe isn't an option I'd truthfully think Teal Saio would still outperform Augers Jaeseran in Abyssea for high tier nukes(not tested). Although when new content comes out, outside of Abyssea and we no longer have +50int atmas go w/Augers.

Sadly at this point enfeebling torque is pointless for 95% of mobs in the game if your skill is high, so can switch it out for more potency based on spells being cast to work on capping Dmnd or Dint.

edit. also if you're really concerned w/hmp idle try to get relic belt(although in abys w/atmas, fresh2, gear can get around 22/tic so atm it's not an all points emergency focus :P
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-18 14:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Exiting Abyssea also means losing ~80 MAB, so Augur's may not beat Teal outside. That said, inv+1 for single-digit loss in damage isn't a bad trade. Agree that Enf Torque is a waste of inventory though - anything nasty enough for it to matter is probably immune to the relevant enfeebles (read: Bind, Grav, Sleep) anyway. MND spells may as well use AF3 neck fulltime.
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2011-01-18 14:51:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Enfeebling (MND):
INT can be swapped in where no enfeebling skill is present for INT based enfeebles.

Like Sekundes said, you'll want potency for your enfeebles. I see you don't have a lot of mage jobs, So I would recommend putting in Enfeebling Merits, and Merits will cover for your lack of magic skill gear in favor for more MND/INT.

Swap out AF Body for Augur body or Empyrean +1/+2. For MND,
Aqua Satchet is nice (MND+2) for ammo. When you get Hands +1/+2, swap the torque for AF3 Neck if you can get your hands on it. And if you care for one extra MND over AF3 Cape, there's a cape that has MND+6, Sunbeam Cape I believe it is.
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2011-01-18 14:52:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I've only come across a handful of nms in abys where capped enfeeble w/merits wasn't enough (IE needed some combination of either relic head, af body, torque & E-seal or Sabateur to land) and even then I'm not sure torque would have been worth putting in :/

Para2 on Uleguerand zone boss is one of the only ones that comes to mind where torque might have actually made the difference in landing or not.(just shows how little torque is needed atm...

edit. Although if you have BLM or SCH leveled Torque is still worth holding onto situationally.
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2011-01-18 14:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Catabolic said:
I've only come across a handful of nms in abys where capped enfeeble w/merits wasn't enough (IE needed some combination of either relic head, af body, torque & E-seal or Sabateur to land) and even then I'm not sure torque would have been worth putting in :/

Para2 on Uleguerand zone boss is one of the only ones that comes to mind where torque might have actually made the difference in landing or not.(just shows how little torque is needed atm...
I was able to put Slow 2 on him with just Relic Hat and Torque with some uncapped skill. Perhaps he's just entirely resistant to Paralyze 2?

edit: didn't need to rate me down for a legitmate question...
[+]
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2011-01-18 15:01:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Quetzacoatl said:
Siren.Catabolic said:

I was able to put Slow 2 on him with just Relic Hat and Torque with some uncapped skill. Perhaps he's just entirely resistant to Paralyze 2?

Nope I landed para2 on him but it took like 3 tries. (I shouldn't have tried that many times I'm just stubborn) Capped enfeeble 8/8 merits fail. Added relic head af body...fail. Added torque & e-seal..landed but even then it only lasted for about a min before it wore and only proc'd a couple times so not worth trying for unless tank is in a desperate moment.

edit. In terms of slow2 I've yet to come across an NM in abys that slow2 required torque to land comfortably if your enfeeble is high enough w/combination of any of merits/relic head/af body.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-18 15:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Quetzacoatl said:

Enfeebling (MND):

Like Sekundes said, you'll want potency for your enfeebles. I see you don't have a lot of mage jobs, So I would recommend putting in Enfeebling Merits, and Merits will cover for your lack of magic skill gear in favor for more MND/INT.

Swap out AF Body for Augur body or Empyrean +1/+2. For MND,
Aqua Satchet is nice (MND+2) for ammo. When you get Hands +1/+2, swap the torque for AF3 Neck if you can get your hands on it. And if you care for one extra MND over AF3 Cape, there's a cape that has MND+6, Sunbeam Cape I believe it is.
Small increases like Sunbeam Cape and Aqua Satchet that would basically only exist for your MND potency set really aren't worth it tbh. dMND caps, Abyssea mobs would need like 130 MND to uncap your potency with a decent set even if you didn't bother with MND earrings, ammo, or a MND+6 back. Even if it is uncapped, you're only losing like 0.15% per point of dMND.

On that note though, AF3+2 head for MND enfeebles. I'd also go with the second Neptune's Ring and possibly consider trading your Penitent's Rope for a cognition belt and cascade belt.
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2011-01-20 02:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi all.

I'm pretty new to Rdm (and mage jobs in general), and so I was just wondering if anyone could give advice/pointers on gearsets. Below are various different sets that I think I need, and while these are far from what I have, it would be nice to confirm that I'm working in the right direction. Any other advice/help is greatly appreciated.

Idle:
Assuming rings are augmented with -pdt%

Shamshir1+ genbu

Quote:

Nuking:

magian staves ....

Quote:

Curing:

roudel earring and general cure potency *** ¿ WTF are you stcking MND for cure... facepalm.

Quote:

Enfeebling (MND):

Don't need INT for enfeebles, never.

Quote:

Dark (stuns etc):

facepalm on using dark staff on stun.

Quote:

Also, I'd want to work on a conserve MP set and a HMP set.

Thanks for any advice offered!

CMP and HMP both suck balls.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-20 02:16:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah you don't need any mnd or enhancing gear to cap stoneskin. I mean I cap stoneskin on blu/rdm lol.
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-01-20 02:18:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Putting mind where you dont have cure potency is fine, still going to raise the amount you cure all be it not by a lot but if you have the gear anyways from enfeebles, might as well.
 Leviathan.Niniann
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-01-20 02:42:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said:
Putting mind where you dont have cure potency is fine, still going to raise the amount you cure all be it not by a lot but if you have the gear anyways from enfeebles, might as well.

He should still be stacking -enmity if he's with a group. It really helps.
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-01-20 02:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno, never had a problem pulling hate with curing on RDM before. I guess maybe it depends on your group.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-20 03:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Sylph.Kimble said:
He should be using allure and minkin which damn near cap him anyways. In fact with his posted cure set it would overcap him enough he could take Minkin off and almost still be capped
[+]
 Bismarck.Luces
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-01-20 04:43:22
Link | Quote | Reply

So according to everyone of you the rdm af+2 body is worse the augers body for enfeebling magic.

So either the +2 body's enhancing enfeebling magic affect does not just nothing but actually the exact opposite of what it says and those stats aren't really positive they are negative. Since according to everyone one of you +1 mind and -10 magic accuracy is better then it.
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2011-01-20 04:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Sylph.Kimble said:

No lol. Get a better DD and suck less™
First Page 2 3 4