Are Elemental Grips Worth It?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Are Elemental Grips Worth it?
Are Elemental Grips Worth it?
First Page 2
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-24 09:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, I was looking around and couldn't really find much research done into these. From your personal experiences, are the new Elemental grips that they released along with the Zeni NM's worth macroing in on spells? So is it worth macroing in Wind Grip on Gravity and Tornado II, is it worth macroing in Ice Grip on Bind and Freeze II, etc etc.

I don't want to buy them and find out they're a waste of inventory.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 09:24:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, if you can get your hands on all (Or most) of them, they could be useful. Use Staff Strap for curing, and macro in whatever elemental grip for casting that element. Don't lose any MP from the gear swaps, get a nice -2 enmity for curing, and still manage a subtle boost for magic accuracy.

Edit: Looking at them again, it says "xxxx elemental magic accuracy". Does that mean only Elemental Magic of the aforementioned element, or is it just saying that's the element that gets the boost? The merits for RDM and BLM don't say "Ice elemental magic potency", maybe they are talking only the elemental magic spells get the boost.
 Pandemonium.Sabishii
Server: Pandemonium
user: Sabishii
By Pandemonium.Sabishii 2009-02-24 09:52:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't waste all that inventory space on grips. 8 grips, 8 staves, plus all that other gear. The grip only boosts the accuracy of magic of it's element (the fire grip gives a boost to the magical accuracy of any fire magic spell, such as a fire based enfeeble or a fire based nuke).
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 09:57:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, that's what I had figured, but I'm not on mages very often so I didn't want to assume. About the inventory issue, I'm at about 36/70 inventory space on my RDM at any given time. Some people carry around a lot of items, but if not, it might be nice to pick these up.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-02-24 09:58:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Magic Accuracy

As far as I understand it the grip will enhance the accuracy of any spell of that element, the only one I use is the thunder one for casting Burst2, when casting freeze2 I use bugard strap+1 for the int boost as the staff already has a significant boost to elemental accuracy through ele skill.

Other ones that would be useful to get are light and dark for sleep/repose, personaly I wouldn't bother with the rest.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 10:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

For RDM, at the very least, you'll need Wind Staff. Gravity and Silence are so essential endgame. Of course, the INT/MND on Bugard Strap +1 will practically make up for it.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-24 10:03:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Honestly, if you can get your hands on all (Or most) of them, they could be useful. Use Staff Strap for curing, and macro in whatever elemental grip for casting that element. Don't lose any MP from the gear swaps, get a nice -2 enmity for curing, and still manage a subtle boost for magic accuracy.

Edit: Looking at them again, it says "xxxx elemental magic accuracy". Does that mean only Elemental Magic of the aforementioned element, or is it just saying that's the element that gets the boost? The merits for RDM and BLM don't say "Ice elemental magic potency", maybe they are talking only the elemental magic spells get the boost.

Do you mean does it work on spells that are actually enfeebling magic and not just elemental magic? As in, will ice grip work on bind as well as freeze II, since bind isn't elemental magic.

Magic accuracy seems to be one of the biggest mysteries in the game stat-wise, so it's hard to say. I think it's fairly safe to assume that they would work on debuffs, but an assumption is all it would be. Even supposing they do, are they worth inventory -8? Good blm's and rdm's are pretty gear heavy aren't they? As blu I'm running around with 64/70 before adding in reraise and pop items for events. I guess if you can spare the cash (I think they're pretty cheap now?) AND spare the inventory then they would be good, but maybe just stick with bugard+1 and pretend they don't exist if inventory is an issue <_<
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-24 10:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

god damn you fast repliers
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-02-24 10:08:05
Link | Quote | Reply

"Raising Magic Accuracy directly increases the chance of a spell will land on the target without resist. However, the potency of the spell (e.g. the potency of paralyze or duration of another status effect spell) is not affected by simply raising Magic Accuracy. Attributes such as INT and MND raise the potency of their corresponding spells. It is assumed that one point of skill in the appropriate magic skill (e.g. Elemental Magic, Enfeebling Magic, ...) corresponds to one point of Magic Accuracy, perhaps 0.9 Magic Accuracy after 200 skill."

(From Wiki, I won't say believe every word of it, but this seems to best explanation I can find on how ele acc, such as from grips, affects spells vs Int and ele skill)
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 10:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Do you mean does it work on spells that are actually enfeebling magic and not just elemental magic?

Yeah, I put a bit of thought into it (Like two seconds of thought), and decided there were no light- or dark-based elemental magic spells (Besides Lumino/Noctohelix) and I doubt SE would add grips just for those. And Bugard +1 has INT/MND+2 on it, doesn't it? That would almost make up for the M.ACC anyway. It does have less MP on it, however.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-24 10:10:13
Link | Quote | Reply

And even when we know twice as much, I'll still be in the dark because a lot of the testing doesn't apply so much for blu magic lol
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-02-24 10:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Blazza said:
Do you mean does it work on spells that are actually enfeebling magic and not just elemental magic?

Yeah, I put a bit of thought into it (Like two seconds of thought), and decided there were no light- or dark-based elemental magic spells (Besides Lumino/Noctohelix) and I doubt SE would add grips just for those. And Bugard +1 has INT/MND+2 on it, doesn't it? That would almost make up for the M.ACC anyway. It does have less MP on it, however.

there are tons of light/dark based elemental spells. i've played around with the dark grip and it does help slightly with sleeping and dispelling dark based mobs. what we need to do is have a BLU test grips....get on it BLUs!
 Asura.Yotevol
Server: Asura
user: Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-02-24 10:28:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Having a 75BLM, 75WHM and 70RDM, I can honestly say that I won't get all of the grips.

I have a thunder grip for my lightning spells for BLM.
The ice grip is awesome for paralyze, bind and bliz/freeze spells.
I got the wind grip for BLM and RDM, for gravity purposes.
Finally, I will be buying the dark grip, for easier Sleeps.

The only reason I am getting these 4 grips is for soloing BLM and RDM.
I don't believe I will have any trouble with parties, but I'm sure they will help my Elvaan immensely with landing crucial spells when needed.

~Yote
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 10:28:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Littledarc said:
there are tons of light/dark based elemental spells. i've played around with the dark grip and it does help slightly with sleeping and dispelling dark based mobs. what we need to do is have a BLU test grips....get on it BLUs!

I was talking about light/dark ELEMENTAL spells, not enfeebling.

I'm sure there are tons of Dark/light-based BLU spells, but I don't care about BLU, frankly. (Lol, didn't mean that to sound harsh or anything, it's just that I'm leveling Maat jobs and have more important things to worry about.)
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
Server: Shiva
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2009-02-24 10:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Does banish or holy count as Light elemental spell?

and edit: I use earth/light grips for BRD and by eyeballing i can't see difference in resist rates.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-02-24 10:30:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the only elemental grip I would even consider owning would be Dark Grip (sleep). At 75 there is so many Elemental Magic Skill + items that it isn't worth a second rainbow of items for +2 accuracy. I like the HP->MP factor and it could replace one of my HP down gear for latent. I'll stick with Bugard +1 for nuking.

Edit: Oops, the above was for BLM75, for RDM I would get Dark, Wind, Earth and Ice.

Edit edit =P: Thinking about it again, BLM could use Wind and Ice grips for Gravity and Bind as well...
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-02-24 10:35:36
Link | Quote | Reply

sorry, i only have a dark grip. i would assume light grip would include banish and holy though. i was hoping it would effect charm, but sadly it doesn't.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-24 10:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

My wife has them all and its a massive headache for inventory reasons. :/
The ones I would think would be most useful are on the "If this doesn't land we are dead" spells. Dark for sleep/II/ga (also useful for Drain/Aspir if you own it), Light for Lully/repose, Wind for Grav/silence and Ice for bind. As far as nukes, I think bugard +1 is considered to be better.

Hmm. May also be very good for Cor in situations they are using QD only and switching between staves and losing TP isn't an issue.
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-02-24 10:38:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Littledarc said:

I was talking about light/dark ELEMENTAL spells, not enfeebling.

I'm sure there are tons of Dark/light-based BLU spells, but I don't care about BLU, frankly. (Lol, didn't mean that to sound harsh or anything, it's just that I'm leveling Maat jobs and have more important things to worry about.)

i was referring to the fact that enfeebs work as well as nukes, i can't say for sure on blu though. i was under the impression you thought it didn't work on enfeebs and only on elementals.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-02-24 10:38:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm using earth grip and light grip on my bard, im not sure if it makes a huge different, but it makes more sense in using them than not ^^
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 10:39:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if these grips DID affect certain spells, the M.ACC factor would be so minimal, you wouldn't see a difference without a good parsing.
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
Server: Shiva
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2009-02-24 10:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanno said:
I'm using earth grip and light grip on my bard, im not sure if it makes a huge different, but it makes more sense in using them than not ^^

My reasons exactly for picking those 2 up.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-24 10:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Even if these grips DID affect certain spells, the M.ACC factor would be so minimal, you wouldn't see a difference without a good parsing.

OMG this is the mostest smarterest thing you every have say!!
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 10:46:05
Link | Quote | Reply

No THIS is the mostest smarterest thing I've ever said.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-24 10:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Essentially, I'm looking to build the best attainable enfeebling build available for Red Mages. I know that magic accuracy is a must when attempting to land enfeebles on high level monsters. Would these then be suitable? Do they even affect enfeeblings, or is that just assumed speculation? Was posting more for somebody to say, "Here's a blog that somebody compared X Y Z, have a read", rather than "Yeah I'd use them". It's nice you'd use them, and I thank you for the replies, but it hasn't answered my question ;;
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-24 10:53:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Well okay, good luck with finding one of those, but personally, I think the INT+2 and MND+2 would help about the same, and you only need the one inventory space for Bugard Strap. Plus high INT numbers look really cool.
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-02-24 10:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

yes they effect enfeebs. don't expect something spectacular though.
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-24 10:57:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The way I see it when it comes to Magic Accuracy, skill, and Int/Mnd in relation to grips is this...

If you're casting on an HNM or absolutely NEED to have the spell stick with no real focus on the duration of the spell, then you're going to want to pack on a ton of whatever skill the spell is, whether it be Elemental, Enfeebling, Divine, etc. for your overall gear. Then you want to focus on Mag. Acc. in any slot you can't get skill + and then also use the grip for added magic accuracy. If however you're fighting mobs that you can easily land the spell on, throw on more int/mnd/chr for added duration of the spell/song.

As most of you already know, spell accuracy is affected by the different factors in this order:
#1 Skill for the spell type.
#2 Magic Accuracy for that spell's element.
#3 Int/Mnd/Chr.

Skill of a spell's type as well as Magic Accuracy will only affect the rate at which a spell is resisted and have no bearing on the damage or duration of the spell as far as I know.

Magic Attack and Int/Mnd affect the damage dealt by a spell (whether it's elemental or divine).

Int/Mnd will affect the duration of the spell. (spells like paralyze, slow, gravity, etc.)

I believe all of that info is correct. Hope that helps a bit.
 Cerberus.Cecilharvey
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Cecilharvey 2009-02-24 10:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Me i'd say Stack Magic accuracy if you want it to work well, Which Slash/Omega ring/Elemental Grip/Goliard Feets ? did someone try it already ? also, try to stack this with the elemental Obis & AF2 Pants (Obi if you don't have Which belt)
I doesn't have Tamas ring, i took Rajas since i'm melee based, So i use Omega Ring instead, save me 450k more for a snow, i'm BLM75 since a week & half so i'm not sure if this idea is valuable tho, that is why i ask if someone tried it.
But Magic accuracy is supposed to help against resist, so why not stack it on for when you fight against big meanies ? For the RDM part, i use Ice/Wind/Water/Earth coupled with each staves of the same element, someone said its not a big difference but i'm pretty sure somes magic accuracy doesn't hurt.

I know somes BLM use to stack Magical critical hit with the which belt & i don't remember which grip, the one that provide +3% MCH, as for what Lovetoy said, i totaly agree
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-24 11:08:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Cecilharvey said:
Me i'd say Stack Magic accuracy if you want it to work well, Which Slash/Omega ring/Elemental Grip/Goliard Feets ? did someone try it already ? also, try to stack this with the elemental Obis & AF2 Pants (Obi if you don't have Which belt)
I doesn't have Tamas ring, i took Rajas since i'm melee based, So i use Omega Ring instead, save me 450k more for a snow

I know somes BLM use to stack Magical critical hit with the which belt & i don't remember which grip, the one that provide +3% MCH, as for what Lovetoy said, i totaly agree

Ummm... Not entirely correct there. And it's WITCH SASH. :P

It's really all situational though, Wooooodum. If you can land an enfeeble or cast a nuke without a resist on a particular mob with say a 90%+ success rate, I'd go with int/mnd on the strap to increase the duration or damage of the spell a bit. If you can't land the spell without a resist frequently, I'd go with the magic accuracy.
First Page 2