Idle set - rings and earrings
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Cerberus.Starr
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2010-12-26 07:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

What do you guys idle in? I see most people idle in Jelly Ring/random ring and I've always idled in BBQ/Bloodbead and whatever earrings Earrings like most people.
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2010-12-26 07:36:36
Link | Quote | Reply

ive personnaly never looked at my rings and earrings for idle gear... I guess if i had any perticularly sexy rings it would be that XD
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-12-26 07:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, you lose the hp from those rings once you cast a spell tho?
I used to idle in jelly + merman on RDM and BLM but due to inventory issues I just use Bifrost + Aquilo on RDM and Bifrost + augmented Dark ring on BLM now <_>
***takes up too much room!
[+]
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-12-26 07:44:41
Link | Quote | Reply

idle with jelly and a dark ring with -5% PDT/5% spell int
and earring colossus and ethereal

add cheviot cape and earth staff to it too, i know i will take hate and like staying alive :o
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Server: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2010-12-26 07:45:01
Link | Quote | Reply

My RDM is in a sort of semi retirement, but this is what I had for Idle set

PDT, refresh/regen, move speed and MP+ for starting buffs that didn't need stat mods like INT or MND.

Then I had a crappy little MDT macro that would swap jelly ring out and keep lamia mantle +1 and relic hands on if im about to eat a nuke.

But i'm hume so I need the MP more than if you're taru :P where a taru might want that extra HP for some extra survivability.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-12-26 07:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a taru and I actually idle in -HP on BLM (Mostly because of pluviale that adds so much), so I dont go into yellow hp after nuking (Sorc ring) >_<
 Asura.Tamoa
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2010-12-26 07:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I've stopped caring about my rdm idle set apart from the obvious refresh gear. I used to try keeping hp and mp fairly balanced (as well as some -enm/-PDT stuff), but that went out the window after getting Pluviale instead of Dalm. Currently idling in Celestial/Graiai, and Omega/Bifrost.
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2010-12-26 08:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Well, you lose the hp from those rings once you cast a spell tho?!
Yeah but same deal with the other rings/earrings people posted, I guess it doesn't really matter? I'll get Dark rings when I can D:
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2010-12-26 08:31:01
Link | Quote | Reply

What I use atm, I dunno when I'll get a D Chap but working on RDM body +1/2. Thinking of getting the -2% PDT grip and I'll use Cheviot Cape too if I go the idle in PDT route. Delta earring is trash but nothing else seems worth using really.

What about ammo? I full time this atm for the Conserve MP+3 lol
 Odin.Hevans
Server: Odin
user: Hev
By Odin.Hevans 2010-12-26 08:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

if you're gonna get earring for your idle set i recommend an arete del sol.
 Asura.Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2010-12-26 09:00:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Starr said:
Delta earring is trash but nothing else seems worth using really.

What about ammo? I full time this atm for the Conserve MP+3 lol

Assuming you use Delta Earring for the -enm? Novia is better in that respect (I used to idle in that). As for ammo, idk, White Tathlum? Gives you hp, mp and has -enm.

If I was going to make a "serious" idle set again, I'd be using this I think - this is without buying anything, just using what I have atm:

Alternatively I'd swap Jelly Ring for an augmented Dark Ring with -5% PDT, to lose the +MDT on Jelly Ring. Maybe also swap Blood Cuisses for Goliard Trews.
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-12-26 09:07:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Heavily depends on what you want out of your Idle set.

This is what i generally sit around in if I'm duo'ing/trio'ing (I.E Likely to be hit)

Its a blend of the Refresh Items i have and DT, the dark Ring is PDT-5% MDT-4%. With that i get almost capped PDT as well as multiple refresh+ pieces. Sadly i have yet to obtain Serpentes Sabbots :| or those would be on.

so for rings, i recommend PDT/DT/etc of that sort, I generally am not at capped MP for most things, so i usually use an MP set before a big fight, buff up, use all the excess MP, then switch to my general sets. since each set makes my MP vary widely, I worry more about recovering MP through refresh than i do keeping a high maximum MP. HP Rings are also a good option, though i would still prefer PDT/MDT in my builds.

Also depends on what you're fighting, for instance If i'm much more likely to be hit with magic i use 2x Dark rings (my PDT-5%/MDT-4% one and another with MDT-5%) as well as Coral Feet/Legs instead of Darksteel, and Colossus' Mantle over Cheviot.
 Asura.Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2010-12-26 09:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Hevans said:
if you're gonna get earring for your idle set i recommend an arete del sol.

I see no point in getting an Arete Del Sol for a rdm idle set. You're better off with a Killer Shortbow then.
[+]
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2010-12-26 09:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tamoa said:

Assuming you use Delta Earring for the -enm? Novia is better in that respect (I used to idle in that). As for ammo, idk, White Tathlum? Gives you hp, mp and has -enm.
Yeah I do, used to have Novia but sold all my sellables when I stopped playing around June (bought for 700k and sold for 800k) and since I came back I assumed they would be STUPID cheap cus of everyone doing AV but I have not seen any for less than 1M (I have like 10M but that is a stupid price) so have not rebought one. I used to use Failnaught bow for the enm-5 but I really don't need it anymore, I use Allure/MM to duo and never get hate unless hate reset. For legs you can get Refresh+1 augmented on a subligar from an Abyssea quest now so I will chase those eventually but use W legs til then.

You guys idle in Twilight torque over Orochi Nodowa?

Fenrir.Krazyrs
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-12-26 09:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

You guys idle in Twilight torque over Orochi Nodowa?
extends the life of stoneskin vs 1 regen/tic
composure regen2
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-26 09:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't wear +hp...

1. Chances are you aren't going to fill it or not much.

2. You are decreasing your emnity loss from dmg taking.
 Cerberus.Stalkster
user: stalkster
By Cerberus.Stalkster 2010-12-26 11:16:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I prefer a mix with hp(taru) since if i am just running/idle anyways, you lose the hp when you cast but not like it's really hard to hit PDT macro if it's needed. I guess it just matters how quick you are/ if you feel safe. This is what i been using to idle.

Really tho it's easy to cap -pdt gear now, when needed. And keep W.legs while doing it. Here's my -PDT set(1Dark ring -6%pdt and 1 -4% PDT/MDT) later is same ring i use for idle.

To much gear really to bring mdt set with me(keep in sack tho, so if it's needed) and lose stuff like some nuke gear, my hmp set has been left out as is already awhile ago.

Also the -2%PDT grip, Eisen Grip is WAR/PLD/DRK/BST/SAM/DRG. Not really great considering. I dropped the 1st 1 i got. Been holding onto 2nd since mog sack now, but now that i have twilight torque it's not even needed can just switch to terra's staff if terror if not losing hate/solo tank, and still cap -PDT on Drk.

There is a +5%PDT -5%MDT Vallus Grip all jobs. But ya then again not really needed/I would not idle with it on Rdm. I guess i could switch to it and lose Coral Greaves +1/Colossus's Mantle to hit 25%. Since my -MDT set is 24%, but i use Colossus's Mantle for vert.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-26 11:31:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Two questions:

1) Why would you satchel MDT over +HP gear? Barring the Dalmy anyway... just use Augur's Jaseran or eventually AF3+2 body.

2) Why are people talking about -enmity in idle gear?
[+]
 Cerberus.Stalkster
By Cerberus.Stalkster 2010-12-26 11:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Cause MDT is situational. Not hard to swap into inventory if needed. and it's 1item(ring) vs. 8items. And the ring is also used for vert.
My vert set is not updated on here but ya
Code
input /equip ammo "White Tathlum";
input /equip main "Apollo's Staff";
input /equip head "Goliard Chapeau";
input /equip feet "Serpentes Sabots";
input /equip ear1 "Loquac. Earring";
input /equip ring1 "Meridian Ring";
input /equip ear2 "Colossus's Earring";
input /equip body "Pluviale";
input /equip hands "Serpentes Cuffs";
input /equip ring2 "Aqua Ring";
input /equip back "Aslan Cape";
input /equip waist "Hierarch Belt";
input /equip legs "Crimson Cuisses";
input /equip sub "Raptor Strap +1";
input /equip neck "Morgana's Choker";

Not logged in atm but it's about 1200hp/1200mp.
 Asura.Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2010-12-26 11:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I currently idle in this:

I eventually found -enm and -PDT gear kinda pointless in my idle set, so I wear refresh gear, and just whatever I like wearing tbh. 2k+ hp in abyssea means I can take a few hits np, before mob loses interest or tank/DD gets the mob's attention again. I can easily cap -enm with atmas alone. I do have a -PDT set which I -could- use if ***really hits the fan - but that often means I will die anyway (depending on what we are fighting/number of ppl and what jobs they are), so -PDT gear is just postponing the inevitable.

Also, there's this damn inventory issue. Although it's become better after the update, I'm still struggling with my inv as rdm. I mean, if I'm fighting something that drops something I want to lot on, it's nice to actually have the inv space to be able to lot. I know, can always move some stuff from inv to mog sack or satchel - but still, I like the fact that I finally have a few free slots in my inv now. So I very very rarely carry my -PDT set with me.

[+]
By seiri 2010-12-26 11:59:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Two questions: 1) Why would you satchel MDT over +HP gear? Barring the Dalmy anyway... just use Augur's Jaseran or eventually AF3+2 body. 2) Why are people talking about -enmity in idle gear?

I was thinking some of this..

1: Should satchel the least likely set to be needed - plan ahead, so if facing a mob that doesnt cast magic, yeh, satchel MDT, but if facing a mob that casts magic (or uses magic based AoEs - more often a danger to mages), then satchel HP gear and keep MDT for quick macro swap.

2: Because people miss the point. 'Idle' is just that, your doing nothing and ideally out of AoE radius if possible. Biggest parts of an idle set should be refresh > regen > PDT/MDT, allowing you to restore your 'active' stats for use as soon as needed.
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-12-26 11:59:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I use this.

Dark ring has -4% PDT.
 Cerberus.Stalkster
By Cerberus.Stalkster 2010-12-26 12:03:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tamoa said:
I currently idle in this:

I eventually found -enm and -PDT gear kinda pointless in my idle set, so I wear refresh gear, and just whatever I like wearing tbh. 2k+ hp in abyssea means I can take a few hits np, before mob loses interest or tank/DD gets the mob's attention again. I can easily cap -enm with atmas alone. I do have a -PDT set which I -could- use if ***really hits the fan - but that often means I will die anyway (depending on what we are fighting/number of ppl and what jobs they are), so -PDT gear is just postponing the inevitable.

Guess it just matters what you use rdm for, do not really need a -pdt if your just enfeeb/cure/haste etc i guess. But when im on rdm it's more solo/low man/pull/save the day etc. And had -pdt/-mdt sets when we where a good tank.. Thanks SE
By seiri 2010-12-26 12:07:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll now admit to forgetting the OPs question..

Probs the best combo for earrings atm is the new WoTG reward earring with 'latent effect: refresh +1' and another misc aug, with etheral earring.

Rings, 2 dark rings with -MDT/PDT on them would be ideal imo, simply because they increase mp a little but wouldnt decreases resistance to any particular mob. If, like me, you have yet to get your hands on rings with both augs, you could tailor your idle rings to the mob, or go for other rings that dont increase any type of dmg taken. For a 'all round' idle set, i've never seen the use for jelly ring - its a situational piece and shouldnt be thrown in as a staple imo.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-12-26 12:20:00
Link | Quote | Reply

-Enmity in idle is totally useless atleast, have no effect on enmity you lose when getting hit.
And more hp in idle is kinda pointless as you never fill it up unless you run around in it for a long time with regen on =/
+ the abyssea curebots cure me alot every time I swap to idle gear on RDM because of pluviale/serp set :p lol
 Cerberus.Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2010-12-26 12:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

seiri said:

2: Because people miss the point. 'Idle' is just that, your doing nothing and ideally out of AoE radius if possible. Biggest parts of an idle set should be refresh > regen > PDT/MDT, allowing you to restore your 'active' stats for use as soon as needed.

Yeah I was thinking this, tl;dr it doesn't really matter then? tbh I think I like wearing the HP rings because it evens my HP/MP (something like 1800/1800 in Abyssea) and I double it as my convert set out of laziness (inb4 who uses convert anymore?) and I've just always like them on. I'm just curious what everyone else uses and why, think I will keep Nodowa>Twilight though cus I really never get hit unless surprise rape when I forgot sneak/invis.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-26 12:27:10
Link | Quote | Reply

+hp is actually determinementally unless it's countering some -hp or you actually somehow are filling it since it lowers your emnity loss
 Sylph.Rorrick
Server: Sylph
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2010-12-26 12:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
+hp is actually determinementally unless it's countering some -hp or you actually somehow are filling it since it lowers your emnity loss

The change in enmity lost based on HP is negligible, and not worth considering, especially in an idle set.

WotG earring with latent refresh and Colossus earring, Dark Rings with PDT -5% (or greater) or Dark Ring/Jelly Ring if you only have one augmented Dark Ring.

While idling in HP gear over PDT gear is pretty dumb, idling in converts HP > MP is even dumber. The only place that has is in a Convert macro.
 Cerberus.Stalkster
By Cerberus.Stalkster 2010-12-26 13:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Rorrick said:

While idling in HP gear over PDT gear is pretty dumb

Cause your -idle-, and can use macros to switch depending needs.

Say you take 300dmg say a -5% ring = 15hp, 500dmg = 25hp. 1,000dmg = 50hp, Just saying.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-12-26 13:07:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Stalkster said:
Sylph.Rorrick said:

While idling in HP gear over PDT gear is pretty dumb

Cause your -idle-, and can use macros to switch depending needs.

Say you take 300dmg say a -5% ring = 15hp, 500dmg = 25hp. 1,000dmg = 50hp, Just saying.

Yeah but you'r swapping to +hp gear and its not getting filled fast enough to matter, unless you dont cast anything for ages (unless you cure yourself every time)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7