Link | Quote | Reply

A little help please without losing too much money -.-
 Fenrir.Catfire
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Catfire
By Fenrir.Catfire 2009-03-05 17:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

get you a rubber rig and go to Yughott Grotto and fish up all the rusty gear you can get to about 34 or 36 can help ya get through half of it but it only NPCs for 1 gil but still no gil lost but the rod and reel if your carefull and know how to fish. Use a Light crystal for the synth and the rusty gear all it takes.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-05 17:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Padded Cap to 40 is probably your cheapest option. 1 Iron Sheet, 2 Lizard Skins. Works out at roughly 3k a synth on Garuda. That's about as cheap as it gets between those levels though.
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
Server: Seraph
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-03-05 19:17:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a character with lv 70 smithing, I can tell you now... your best bet from 1-50 is to farm all your own iron and darksteel, either through desynths or mining, and muscle through. If you have an alternate source of income from another craft, gardening, mob farming, etc, I power leveled my alchemists smithing through to 40 on different synths, Wooooodum's padded cap is one. Smithing is up there with goldsmithing as one of the expensive crafts to level due to the cost of ingots and availability of materials, so its no joke. After you can start to bang out quadav helms and backplates tho, it gets better.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-05 19:24:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Once upon a time, I was Smithing 28. I couldn't really see a way of being able to afford levelling Smithing any further. One day, though, I got lucky in a KSNM service and got my hands on a Damascus Ingot. Since I was friends with the leader of the service, I didn't have to pay for it; this gave me 1,100,000 gil to play around with. I spent every penny levelling my Smithing. That 1,100,000 gil took me from 28 to 64 in two evenings. This was well over two years ago, as well, and compared to prices nowadays they were higher.

It's not as bad as some people's horror stories claim, but it is still expensive compared to most crafts. If you're looking for a quick solution to levelling Smithing, you're going to spend a lot of your money. If you don't mind taking your time, however, Kyaaadaa's mining point is very astute. Mining is the sure way of ensuring you maintain a healthy gil supply when levelling. It is, however, exceptionally time consuming.

The best advice I can give is to just research and research. The guides on Wikipedia for Smithing are pretty poor, to be honest. They're grossly outdated and sometimes point towards more expensive synths. I researched every single synth from sixty and above and I can definitely say I saved a lot of money because of it.
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-03-05 19:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

No lies there, mining can be, and in the case of heavily mined zoned, very time consuming and overly frustrating. Mount Zhayolm can be crazy with the RMT and prospective noobs trying for gil with Khroma ore. Places like Gusgen Mines have died down a bit thanks to MZ, but others with lower levels or jobs without sneak/invis for mobs can be found there. FFXIclopedia.org shows the synths, their materials, and levels. Dive in, choose your path, and make it happen.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-05 19:37:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Kyaaadaa said:
Mount Zhayolm can be crazy with the RMT and prospective noobs trying for gil with Khroma ore.

It's the strangest thing, but back when I was levelling Smithing off Adaman Ingots, I mined the majority of my ores. Whenever I went up to Mount Zhayolm I was usually always on my own. Only once or twice did I have company. This was recurring over roughly two weeks. Goes without saying that I comfortably got Smithing to 90 off of Ingots and was dead chuffed with my work. Made a good few million off of Khroma Ore to. Still only gotten three to this day though; back then they were worth a lot more as the ISNM drops hadn't been introduced yet.

Whenever I go back now to make some money, there's always RMT's there, always people gunning for Khroma and it's never worth the bother. I can't figure it out. Given the end results of both, I'm glad I experience an empty Zhayolm back when I was skilling up.

I don't know if I caught aftermath of some RMT bannings or whether Garuda's very low server population is to blame... All I can say is, I wish it were like that now. I would seriously make a killing if I had that place to myself now that I can craft everything on the spot.
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-03-05 20:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh indeed, with the massive influx of people in Mount Zhayolm, I rarely if ever take my smith out there to do my work anymore. The drop of adaman is nice, but I do most of my skill ups now with the darksteel I get from quadav helm desynths and the gil I get from selling Iron and Steel from non-darksteel desynths. The money is decent, even though it isn't massive amounts, but the supply is never ending, as lightning elementals spawn in Pashhow and Beadeaux, and helm farming as a THF is tasty cutlets.