You Know That Quest To Get Feet Seals?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » You know that quest to get feet seals?
You know that quest to get feet seals?
 Diabolos.Ariane
Server: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
By Diabolos.Ariane 2010-11-22 07:35:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zanno said:
Well this is posted in the RDM section. You'd think that most RDM 80+ know how to kite kill an NM by now.

I don't see why it should be assumed that by 80+ a RDM should know how to kite kill NMs. There's no reason at any point leveling up that a RDM HAS to kite kill anything.

I'm an 85 RDM, and I consider RDM to be my main job. Although I know the theory behind kite killing with RDMs, I've never tried to solo an NM this way. The occasional times when these skills come into play in groups have shown me that it's not something I excel at, or have any desire to do for long periods of time solo. Too many things can go wrong in a long fight, and the whole process is pretty tedious.

I much prefer to bring a few friends out to help me take down NMs quicker and easier then honing my skills soloing them.

The point is, that not everyone levels RDM so that they can solo NMs.

[+]
 Ragnarok.Zanno
Server: Ragnarok
user: zanno
By Ragnarok.Zanno 2010-11-22 10:16:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Ariane said:
Ragnarok.Zanno said:
Well this is posted in the RDM section. You'd think that most RDM 80+ know how to kite kill an NM by now.

I don't see why it should be assumed that by 80+ a RDM should know how to kite kill NMs. There's no reason at any point leveling up that a RDM HAS to kite kill anything.

I'm an 85 RDM, and I consider RDM to be my main job. Although I know the theory behind kite killing with RDMs, I've never tried to solo an NM this way. The occasional times when these skills come into play in groups have shown me that it's not something I excel at, or have any desire to do for long periods of time solo. Too many things can go wrong in a long fight, and the whole process is pretty tedious.

I much prefer to bring a few friends out to help me take down NMs quicker and easier then honing my skills soloing them.

The point is, that not everyone levels RDM so that they can solo NMs.

Either way, I was talking about doing quest VS killing NM's for seals. If you got ppl that helps you with NM's, good for you. I never said you should'nt take friends with you if you can. But in most cases if you can't get a friend or 2 to help you, solo nm > quests for the seals anyway.

But you're also a prime example of someone who "can't solo an NM on RDM", mainly because you have never tried.

A lot of people take for granted that they won't be able to do this or that, and ends up never trying. Others try once and fail horrible and gives up saying "I can't do this".

As for a long and tedious fight, how about a longer even more annoying quest?
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2010-11-22 10:23:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm with Ariane on this one. The main reason I even give a crap about these feet is because that Enhancing + will be super sexy for my Phalanx II macro which I have pretty much put most of my merits in. I'm the kind of RDM that is more valuable on the sidelines. I know the concept of soloing, but I have yet to implement it correctly, which is why I'm grabbing friends to help. They could use some seals themselves, and I just remind them that if I get that piece, I'll be able to keep them alive longer. Btw, I don't have Crimson legs, so I was actually one of the BLMs.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-11-22 10:26:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Ariane said:
Ragnarok.Zanno said:
I don't see why it should be assumed that by 80+ a RDM should know how to kite kill NMs. There's no reason at any point leveling up that a RDM HAS to kite kill anything. I'm an 85 RDM, and I consider RDM to be my main job. Although I know the theory behind kite killing with RDMs, I've never tried to solo an NM this way. The occasional times when these skills come into play in groups have shown me that it's not something I excel at, or have any desire to do for long periods of time solo. Too many things can go wrong in a long fight, and the whole process is pretty tedious. I much prefer to bring a few friends out to help me take down NMs quicker and easier then honing my skills soloing them. The point is, that not everyone levels RDM so that they can solo NMs.

I think practicing solo'ing fights can better your group performance as well. I mean, what do you do when a total shitstorm happens and the monster kills off your couple of buddies and then comes running after you? Either you panic and get your ***kicked in(resulting in a complete wipe), or you then default to your solo'ing methods while trying to raise your friends.

To say, "I'm a group RDM" really doesn't mean anything. You should just be doing what you can to win a fight. If that means spamming Cure IV on your Samurai friend, then do that. But if the dynamics of the fight suddenly change, you've got to change as well, or you're dead.

RDM is versatile, so to be a good RDM you should be versatile. Am I here for buffs? Am I here for debuffs? Am I here for extra damage? It always depends on the situation, and you can't always expect people to tell you what to do, you just have to do what you think will help the group best.

If you say you're a group RDM, you're basically saying that you can't handle the situation in the event your friends die or if you pull hate. If you say you're a solo RDM, you're saying that you don't know how to cure and buff your friends. Interestingly, neither of these is a "good RDM", as a good one would be able to react appropriately in all situations.
[+]
 Diabolos.Ariane
Server: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Ariane 2010-11-24 19:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I just took offense to it being insinuated that if you weren't off soloing NMs all the time on RDM you weren't a good RDM.

I can crowd control with the best of them, sleeps, binds, gravity kiting, which is really all the skill you gain from soloing NMs. I'm just not so good at adding the doing damage part into that equation, but since I don't feel the need to solo NMs, I'm ok with that. I don't think that makes me any less of a RDM.

[+]
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2010-11-24 19:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm probably doing it wrong, but in the time it takes me to solo one NM and deal with !!s, I already could've done the quest 2-3 times.

Then again, I have incredible luck when it comes to quested seals; I got two Mavi: Legs in a row, and a third one 10 minutes later.
[+]
By Kasaioni 2010-12-08 10:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Anything and everything to do with AF3 RDM feet is BS.
Server: Titan
By Titan.Darkestknight 2010-12-08 10:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Ingraham said:
I'm probably doing it wrong, but in the time it takes me to solo one NM and deal with !!s, I already could've done the quest 2-3 times.

Then again, I have incredible luck when it comes to quested seals; I got two Mavi: Legs in a row, and a third one 10 minutes later.

Not to mention not get the seals from the NM anyway.
 Bismarck.Arcos
user: afranko22
By Bismarck.Arcos 2010-12-08 11:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Ariane said:
I just took offense to it being insinuated that if you weren't off soloing NMs all the time on RDM you weren't a good RDM. I can crowd control with the best of them, sleeps, binds, gravity kiting, which is really all the skill you gain from soloing NMs. I'm just not so good at adding the doing damage part into that equation, but since I don't feel the need to solo NMs, I'm ok with that. I don't think that makes me any less of a RDM.

The gravity and the bind is the hard part. Damage can be as simple as Bio and run. Its amazing how many bad bad bad RDMs, BLMs and other mages that have never soloed. I have ran into one that had RDM and BLM abyssea burned to 90 and no idea how gravity or bind worked...
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-12-08 11:42:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Ariane said:
I just took offense to it being insinuated that if you weren't off soloing NMs all the time on RDM you weren't a good RDM.

I can crowd control with the best of them, sleeps, binds, gravity kiting, which is really all the skill you gain from soloing NMs. I'm just not so good at adding the doing damage part into that equation, but since I don't feel the need to solo NMs, I'm ok with that. I don't think that makes me any less of a RDM.

Although some of the spells overlap, functioning as a soloist or as party supporter are two entirely different roles and player skill sets for a RDM.
I think a lot of the more extroverted RDMs in online forums are the type that invest most of their efforts and resources into solo'ing (or duo, etc.). If your particular strong point is as an excellent Enfeebler and party supporter, don't listen to the elitist soloists.

Nonetheless, also recognize that you *could* expand your skills to become a better magical damage-dealer, too, if you want to, because RDM does have that potential.

I will also say this: Abyssea has ruined/spoiled a lot of RDMs in party support situations. The abundance of MP and Auto-Refresh Abyssea buffs are to "blame" I guess. I just simply don't see RDMs casting Refresh or Haste (or even Cures!) on anyone except themselves anymore. Unfortunately, these affected RDMs seem to forget they should do these things, especially when outside of Abyssea!

Nowadays, I mostly I see RDMs functioning as pullers with NIN subjob, or as stunners with DRK subjob. At least level 90 is here now, so all the lazy RDMs that never bothered with DRK subjob can use BLM subjob for Stun.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-12-08 11:52:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Diabolos.Ariane said:
I just took offense to it being insinuated that if you weren't off soloing NMs all the time on RDM you weren't a good RDM. I can crowd control with the best of them, sleeps, binds, gravity kiting, which is really all the skill you gain from soloing NMs. I'm just not so good at adding the doing damage part into that equation, but since I don't feel the need to solo NMs, I'm ok with that. I don't think that makes me any less of a RDM.
Although some of the spells overlap, functioning as a soloist or as party supporter are two entirely different roles and player skill sets for a RDM. I think a lot of the more extroverted RDMs in online forums are the type that invest most of their efforts and resources into solo'ing (or duo, etc.). If your particular strong point is as an excellent Enfeebler and party supporter, don't listen to the elitist soloists. Nonetheless, also recognize that you *could* expand your skills to become a better magical damage-dealer, too, if you want to, because RDM does have that potential. I will also say this: Abyssea has ruined/spoiled a lot of RDMs in party support situations. The abundance of MP and Auto-Refresh Abyssea buffs are to "blame" I guess. I just simply don't see RDMs casting Refresh or Haste (or even Cures!) on anyone except themselves anymore. Unfortunately, these affected RDMs seem to forget they should do these things, especially when outside of Abyssea! Nowadays, I mostly I see RDMs functioning as pullers with NIN subjob, or as stunners with DRK subjob. At least level 90 is here now, so all the lazy RDMs that never bothered with DRK subjob can use BLM subjob for Stun.

Solo'ing doesn't instantly make you an elitist.

Again, Red Mage is all about being versatile. If you think the situation best calls for hasting and refreshing party members, then do that. But if an add shows up and starts raping mages, are you just going to ignore it? No, you pay attention to the situation and decide what's the best thing to do.

Like my example earlier, if you're duo'ing or trio'ing with some friends, and they suddendly die, are you just going to be like, "Oh well, guess we wiped" or are you going to try and kite it while you help your friends recoup?

Red Mage gets a lot of spells. Deciding what spell or action is best in the given situation will make you a good Red Mage. Saying things like: "I don't haste or refresh people cause I'm not a buffer RDM" and "I don't bind and gravity or crowd control things cause I'm not a solo RDM" just shows that you're not willing to do whatever you can to win a fight. Or maybe you're just too lazy to try.
By Halfpint 2010-12-08 13:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I dabble at solo'n....for me it's:
1) boring as hell...I'm not someone who enjoys doing stuff solo.
2)Pre-abyssea hard to recoup the lost exp.
3)More stress than fun (i blame it on the poor internet service)because i tend to lag out at the worst times.

I spent 150 minutes trying to do foot seal quest... got 3 of 5 seals.. it's stupid