Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Souleater
Souleater
First Page 2 3 4
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-27 19:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Just curious if anyone has tried full timing souleater latley, honestly with all the Huge HP buffs we have(I sit on 2.5k HP), and mages having nearly an infinite supply of MP, I dont see it being an issue anymore.

Ive been playing WHM alot more than normal latley and I seriously dont run out of mp ever just spamming the hell out of Cure V. I have 23 Tic refresh when im getting refresh II, even more with Ballads. Plus everytime a WHM cures you you have a temporary Stoneskin.

Dunno I think with a competent enough WHM healing you DRK could totally get away with keeping souleater up full time, thats of course assuming your WHM has the proper 15 Tic refresh from Atma.

Just wanted to know what others thought about it. Being able to keep souleater up full time would definatley make DRK the monster it was intended to be.

But finding a competent enough mage to keep you healed is always an issue as well, good WHM are hard to find with my experience :/

What do other people think?

-Gradd
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-27 19:11:38
Link | Quote | Reply

How exactly do you even keep it up full time anyways? Lot's of chest to restore jas or lots of cors in your pt?
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-27 19:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
How exactly do you even keep it up full time anyways? Lot's of chest to restore jas or lots of cors in your pt?

The norm is Souleater >>> Guillotine >>> Cancel Souleater and turn it off.

Most DRKs dont use it for the full duration, its always been considered bad in the past.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-27 19:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Basically, you answered your own question.

If you got the support for it, it is certainly viable to full-time souleater. Depends on the situation etc.

Bahamut.Dasva said:

When he said "full time" ...I believe he was referring to keeping souleater on for the whole duration. (not just putting it on for a couple of hits, and then clicking it off)
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-27 19:23:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Basically, you answered your own question.

If you got the support for it, it is certainly viable to full-time souleater. Depends on the situation etc.

More wondering if anyone else has tried and Parsed how well they did, I'm basically the only DRK in my shell and since PLD is dead I have been playing WHM most of the time, so havent really gotten a chance to try it out. Havent been playing DRK as much as I would like to lately ~_~
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-27 19:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure it would work out well and help DRK keep up with the overall damage from other DDs.

What you'd really need to have though is some Regen added to the Cures to make sure your HP recovers to 100% after each hit, making the most of SE and your max HP
 Valefor.Gespenst
Server: Valefor
user: Gespenst
By Valefor.Gespenst 2010-10-27 19:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I was using it for its full duration in an Abyssea party recently, I was only level 75-77 and admittedly not very well geared. So yes I would say that its possible. The WHM in my party had no problem keeping my HP up, so I would imagine that a better equipped DRK could do even more wonderful things. I would just make sure you have "permission" from the person who'll now have to keep you alive for a little bit.
 Phoenix.Excelior
Server: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-27 19:55:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Basically, you answered your own question. If you got the support for it, it is certainly viable to full-time souleater. Depends on the situation etc.
More wondering if anyone else has tried and Parsed how well they did, I'm basically the only DRK in my shell and since PLD is dead I have been playing WHM most of the time, so havent really gotten a chance to try it out. Havent been playing DRK as much as I would like to lately ~_~

It always raises my parse substantially but I'm an apoc drk so I'm probably not invited to this debate.
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-27 20:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Basically, you answered your own question. If you got the support for it, it is certainly viable to full-time souleater. Depends on the situation etc.

It always raises my parse substantially but I'm an apoc drk so I'm probably not invited to this debate.

DoT is DoT, relic or not.
But the topic is already pretty much solved imo. As long as you have backup heals there's no reason DRKs shouldn't fulltime SE in Abyssea.
Add in Regen + Dread spikes to the mix and you'll make sure your HP is maxed for most of SE's duration at least.
[+]
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-27 20:06:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sheelay said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
DoT is DoT, relic or not. But the topic is already pretty much solved imo. As long as you have backup heals there's no reason DRKs shouldn't fulltime SE in Abyssea. Add in Regen + Dread spikes to the mix and you'll make sure your HP is maxed for most of SE's duration at least.

You shouldnt be casting dreadspikes in a DD situation, or drain.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-27 20:17:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I know with spellcast its not difficult at all to do but, would it be smart to build a set dedicated to when Souleater is up Vs. using your standard TP gear? I know at the very least equiping Gloom Breastplate would be a good idea during TP.

I was thinking of something like this.

Built this set working with the 5-hit Reckoning setup obviously, Also your Mage would have to keep your HP up obviously for the Extra HP to effect your overall DoT :/
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-27 20:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Odin.Sheelay said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
DoT is DoT, relic or not. But the topic is already pretty much solved imo. As long as you have backup heals there's no reason DRKs shouldn't fulltime SE in Abyssea. Add in Regen + Dread spikes to the mix and you'll make sure your HP is maxed for most of SE's duration at least.

You shouldnt be casting dreadspikes in a DD situation, or drain.

Imo if you realize you'll be holding hate while using SE then it's worth using. If your HP starts dropping dramatically while SE is up ( because Regen isn't enough to cover for the HP loss between each hit or because your healers can't coordinate heals between swings maybe ) then you are cutting back on SE's effectiveness.
That's just my thought though.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-27 20:22:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
I know with spellcast its not difficult at all to do but, would it be smart to build a set dedicated to when Souleater is up Vs. using your standard TP gear? I know at the very least equiping Gloom Breastplate would be a good idea during TP. I was thinking of something like this. Built this set working with the 5-hit Reckoning setup obviously, Also your Mage would have to keep your HP up obviously for the Extra HP to effect your overall DoT :/

Yea I wouldn't bother unless you think your WHM would keep your HP capped. Gloom body is still worth macroing.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-27 20:30:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:

Yours is actually one of the opinions I wanted even if we butt heads sometimes on some topics <.<

You tend to know your ***O:

Gonna mess around w/ spellcast later ~_~

Also Blitz ring would prolly be better than BQR?
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-27 20:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Yours is actually one of the opinions I wanted even if we butt heads sometimes on some topics <.< You tend to know your ***O: Gonna mess around w/ spellcast later ~_~ Also Blitz ring would prolly be better than BQR?

Yes unless you can cap haste w/o it.
 Asura.Masekase
Server: Asura
user: masekase
By Asura.Masekase 2010-10-27 20:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I fulltime it in abyssea with dread spikes up /sam and temp items. With mage support and items it dosent hurt also mob dosent last long enough either.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [31 days between previous and next post]
 Lakshmi.Kyi
Server: Lakshmi
user: Kyi
By Lakshmi.Kyi 2010-11-27 11:49:10
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a comment on the wiki souleater page about "When used in combination with Mana Wall the user will lose MP instead of HP. " The only way to do this is to have a blm\drk. Does this mean that souleater isnt just physical damage but also magic damage
Server: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-11-27 11:54:31
Link | Quote | Reply

mana wall converts all forms of damage to mp so your question is irrelavant. Magic and physical take mp away while mana wall is in effect.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Kyi
By Lakshmi.Kyi 2010-11-27 20:03:32
Link | Quote | Reply

You didnt answer the question it wasnt about mana wall it was about souleater. Does souleater magic damage do more damage than just magic
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-11-27 20:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Your question doesn't even make since. Does dmg do more dmg then dmg?
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Kyi
By Lakshmi.Kyi 2010-11-28 03:25:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Lakshmi.Kyi said:
Does souleater magic damage do more damage than just magic
lol

Wiki said:
When activated each successful attack that lands (even for zero damage) will cause the user to lose 10% of his/her current HP and converts that amount directly into damage.
No you can't land a Water III and have your soul 10% taken away.
In a weird way this actually answers the question. Yes magic does do more damage when your souleater is on. The original question was There is a comment on the wiki souleater page about "When used in combination with Mana Wall the user will lose MP instead of HP. " The only way to do this is to have a blm\drk. Does this mean that souleater isnt just physical damage but also magic damage. To me damage was supposed to mean attacks but all you purists cant see the real question.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-11-28 03:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

wat
 Jar
By Jar 2010-11-28 04:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

i did this on drk today and died because Caitsith healers suck o/ all i have to put in =/

i will do it with my friends now tho they can cast more than cure 3 on whm i hope <_<
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2010-11-28 05:43:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Kyi said:
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Lakshmi.Kyi said:
Does souleater magic damage do more damage than just magic
lol
Wiki said:
When activated each successful attack that lands (even for zero damage) will cause the user to lose 10% of his/her current HP and converts that amount directly into damage.
No you can't land a Water III and have your soul 10% taken away.
In a weird way this actually answers the question. Yes magic does do more damage when your souleater is on. The original question was There is a comment on the wiki souleater page about "When used in combination with Mana Wall the user will lose MP instead of HP. " The only way to do this is to have a blm\drk. Does this mean that souleater isnt just physical damage but also magic damage. To me damage was supposed to mean attacks but all you purists cant see the real question.
It means that Mana Wall is doing its job. Rather than have each attack by you depelete your HP, it will deplete your MP. Nothing more, nothing less. Souleater itself still functions the same way. You attack. It calculates excess damage based on your HP, but instead takes it from your MP.
 Lakshmi.Kyi
By Lakshmi.Kyi 2010-11-28 05:45:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Now for the real question, instead of removing souleater as soon as you have done guillotine, isnt better to leave it on and use drain 2 and drain, doing 10% more damage each drain spell cast or is drain not counted as an attack.
 Ramuh.Scizor
Server: Ramuh
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2010-11-28 06:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

wait...souleater increases magic damage O.o
 Bismarck.Tuvae
Server: Bismarck
user: Tuv
By Bismarck.Tuvae 2010-11-28 06:34:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I full timed it once using Merc Kris. Yeh, dont do that.
By BorealisV2 2010-11-28 07:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Kyi said:
Now for the real question, instead of removing souleater as soon as you have done guillotine, isnt better to leave it on and use drain 2 and drain, doing 10% more damage each drain spell cast or is drain not counted as an attack.

You make me ashamed to be British.
 Lakshmi.Kyi
By Lakshmi.Kyi 2010-11-28 07:38:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably not for this forum but it does make blm\drk interesting for abyssea. Given you have refresh atmas, and mana wall, a few souleater nukes could be interesting. if your going to try it, watch the enmity lol.
First Page 2 3 4